PDA

View Full Version : Barry Peelo column

beautiful game
10/05/2012, 8:54 PM
Interesting take from Barry Peelo on the prospects of a Cork side ever winning the FAI Junior Cup and Barry even questions the chances of a senior team going all the way in the competition.

www.backofthenetcork.ie (http://www.backofthenetcork.ie)

the hawk
10/05/2012, 9:03 PM
So from reading Barry's coloumn he thinks none of the top msl teams would be able to win the Fai junior cup .I couldn't disagree more .It was only 4 weeks ago that a second string Avondale team beat sherriff in the Fai senior cup and they won comfortable enough from what i heard .This is the same sherriff who are in the final of this years .He says that Top junior football is the closest to Eircom league standard ,Most players playing within the top tier of msl would do very well in Eircom league .I.e Chubbs ,Kevin Mulcahy ,Graham mc carthy, Moorsey in his day would have walked in to most eircom league teams .The only difference between eircom league and Munster senior league is the fitness and that is just down to amatuer players having to work all day and train only 1 or 2 times per week

beautiful game
10/05/2012, 9:12 PM
It's an interesting take though.

I'd say these junior teams are a different animal in the FAI Junior Cup.

Maybe they need to introduce a new fixture on the calender.

FAI Intermediate Cup winners v FAI Junior Cup winners and that will tell us a lot.

razor
10/05/2012, 9:28 PM
The only difference between eircom league and Munster senior league is the fitness and that is just down to amatuer players having to work all day and train only 1 or 2 times per weekI agree on the fitness and with regard to ability, I've seen skill at Dale matches this season that I haven't seen for a long time at the Cross.
There is a mental aspect also, there's a big difference between driving a few miles down the road to play a game and getting on a bus to travel the length and breadth of the country every second week. Some fellas just aren't cut out for it.

FAI Intermediate Cup winners v FAI Junior Cup winners and that will tell us a lot.Well if Sheriff and Avondale win I think the question will have already have been answered.

villaman10
10/05/2012, 9:47 PM
hope this thread allows you to sell more copies of your'e magazine!i am assuming that's the reason you are re-opening an age old debate to try and stir up some interest! :-)

beautiful game
11/05/2012, 9:13 AM
I don't think that game between Avondale and Sheriff can be taken seriously.

The FAI Senior Cup is a distraction for the intermediate and junior clubs at this stage of the season although I love seeing a non-league team really put it up to a League of Ireland side.

I was at the final between Pike and St Michaels last season and the standard was on a par with anything I've seen in the MSL Premier Division.

beautiful game
11/05/2012, 9:19 AM
hope this thread allows you to sell more copies of your'e magazine!i am assuming that's the reason you are re-opening an age old debate to try and stir up some interest! :-)

No, I'm certainly not going to sell any extra magazines by raising this issue.

Just wanted to see what people thought of Barry's thoughts on it.

My own opinion is that the top teams in the MSL would go all the way and win it but would have doubts about some of the other teams.

Dixie's Cousin
11/05/2012, 9:31 AM
Don't forget the disclaimer!