PDA

View Full Version : Ground capacity

Peadar
12/08/2004, 9:40 AM
Well lads, Shels are a 1-1 draw away from the group stages of the UEFA Champions League. It's tremendous for them and for the league.
As Pete said to me last night, it sets the game on Saturday up nicely.

Which brings me along to my next point.
Sky Sports News said that there were 24,000 at the game last night.
If we replicate the success of Shels next year, where the hell could we play our games? Where could we fit 20,000 odd supporters in Cork?
If we're serious about taking the club forward this is something that needs to be addressed.
As it stands I think we'd have no choice but to switch the tie to Lansdowne.
Sad, but true.

tiktok
12/08/2004, 9:49 AM
That crossed my mind too.

It;'s all well and good to knock Shels for switching the tie to Landsdowne (as i did initially) but with a sell-out they proved it was the right thing to do and they more than doubled their gate receipts.

We don't have the same option unfortunately.

max power
12/08/2004, 9:49 AM
Well lads, Shels are a 1-1 draw away from the group stages of the UEFA Champions League. It's tremendous for them and for the league.
As Pete said to me last night, it sets the game on Saturday up nicely.

Which brings me along to my next point.
Sky Sports News said that there were 24,000 at the game last night.
If we replicate the success of Shels next year, where the hell could we play our games? Where could we fit 20,000 odd supporters in Cork?
If we're serious about taking the club forward this is something that needs to be addressed.
As it stands I think we'd have no choice but to switch the tie to Lansdowne.
Sad, but true.

win the league first......sad, but true

tiktok
12/08/2004, 9:51 AM
win the league first......sad, but true

fair comment, but there's no point only thinking about it the morning the draw is made.

Peadar
12/08/2004, 10:02 AM
there's no point only thinking about it the morning the draw is made.

That's exactly it.
The Irish way has always been, "sure we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" which I like in many situations and adopt myself but there are times when planning is paramount.
I've no doubt the same thought has crossed the mind of Brian Lennox too.
Wouldn't it be great if Pairc Ui Chaoimh was a county stadium with 40,000 odd seats. Munster Rugby could use it if required, Munster GAA could use it, Cork City FC could use it, even the FAI could use it.

ccfcman
12/08/2004, 10:11 AM
guaranteed the matches would be played at the cross,lennox and dolan would not move it

manic da hoop
12/08/2004, 10:21 AM
How about looking at developing an all-new purpose built stadium at some out-of-town site like Bishopstown. It's bound to be a success ;)

Peadar
12/08/2004, 10:24 AM
It's bound to be a success ;)
We were looking at Tallaght but apparently someone is already building one out there. It was started around the same time as Newgrange but is still in construction. The builders of Newgrange, which was completed 5,000 years ago have since retired and the Tallaght project seems to have hit some snag.

Macy
12/08/2004, 10:25 AM
guaranteed the matches would be played at the cross,lennox and dolan would not move it
If the option was there, and Lennox is as great a business man as you like to claim, you'd have to move it. Just as it was less risk switching the Malmo tie so you were at home first.

Peadar
12/08/2004, 10:31 AM
If the option was there, and Lennox is as great a business man as you like to claim, you'd have to move it.

Only a fool would play a game in a ground restricted 8,000 when you could get a crowd of 20,000 plus. An one thing Brian aint is a fool.
What Shels have done is opened up the possibility of at least another sellout crowd in the UEFA Cup.

Macy
12/08/2004, 10:34 AM
Only a fool would play a game in a ground restricted 8,000 when you could get a crowd of 20,000 plus. An one thing Brian aint is a fool.
What Shels have done is opened up the possibility of at least another sellout crowd in the UEFA Cup.
And possibly the bucket seats going in as well.

Peadar
12/08/2004, 10:43 AM
And possibly the bucket seats going in as well.

Yeah, the potential is massive especially if they draw a household name in the UEFA Cup. Having said that, they're not out of the CL yet.

pete
12/08/2004, 10:50 AM
Fair phucks to $hel$. Hoolahan MOTM, Valeron marked out of game by Byrne.

City will never have biggwer motivation to beat them on saturday if they want to go where shel$ going now.

p.s. i hope shel$ lose 1-0 in Spain.

vssn
12/08/2004, 11:20 AM
Went to last nights game, congrats to Shels, great for domestic football.
City will find it tough against Shels midfield, Wes Holihan was outstanding last night, even though I'd say Shels will revert to 4-4-2 for Saturdays game. Think their weak spot is central defence - if JOF can get running with the ball against Harris.
As for City getting use of Pairc Ui Chaoimh for a European game - not a hope especially with that l*nger Frank Murphy in charge.
Can't wait for Saturdays game. Its high time we beat Shels. C'mon the Rebel Army.

Peadar
12/08/2004, 11:43 AM
Fran Rooney's comments.
Taken from FAI.ie (http://www.fai.ie/NR/exeres/7C71B87A-2D67-4EB2-8E51-14A41649ECF6.htm)

“Shelbourne did themselves and the eircom League proud tonight with their professional approach on and off the pitch,” Mr Rooney said.

"The results by Shelbourne, allied to the previous performances by Cork is a reward for the dedication over the last few years. The professional approach has given clubs the deserved boost to capital at the highest level in Europe."

"The response of the fans has been magnificent and it’s reward for the courage and investment by Shelbouren and other eircom League clubs," Mr Rooney continued.

"This proves that there is a market for the continued improvement of the domestic game and top European football. We look forward to the fans and commercial sector supporting domestic soccer in the future," Mr Rooney said.

"For its part, the FAI will continue to support eircom League clubs in their efforts to compete successfully in European competition."

Nice to get a mention anyway ;)

thecorner
12/08/2004, 12:07 PM
. Just as it was less risk switching the Malmo tie so you were at home first.

check your facts.malmo asked to change the tie

razor
12/08/2004, 1:38 PM
allied to the previous performances by Cork

See Fran played it safe this time, taking no chances.

Peadar
12/08/2004, 2:22 PM
See Fran played it safe this time.

You never know who's going to misquote you ;)

Fair_play_boy
13/08/2004, 9:27 PM
That's exactly it.
The Irish way has always been, "sure we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" which I like in many situations and adopt myself but there are times when planning is paramount.
That thought reminds me of the €499 ticket price to Nantes. because that happened, we could also think ahead about future euro away fixtures. That price put off hundreds of additional supporters. If we could put an away trip plan in place, we could dictate terms to a travel operator, and maybe get different companies to tender for the contract. Just a thought.

Fair_play_boy
13/08/2004, 9:31 PM
We were looking at Tallaght but apparently someone is already building one out there. It was started around the same time as Newgrange but is still in construction. The builders of Newgrange, which was completed 5,000 years ago have since retired and the Tallaght project seems to have hit some snag.
Lads, I swear, this is priceless. This forum will have to come out in paperback for Christmas.

dahamsta
14/08/2004, 12:16 AM
Lads, I swear, this is priceless. This forum will have to come out in paperback for Christmas.Sheeite, my plan is foiled...

A face
14/08/2004, 2:51 AM
the Tallaght project seems to have hit some snag.

Yeah ... theres a big White Elephant in the middle of the green field site planned to house a state of the art stadium !! :D

Corner NO1
14/08/2004, 4:19 AM
How about looking at developing an all-new purpose built stadium at some out-of-town site like Bishopstown. It's bound to be a success ;)
Dont mind Bishopstown, were we are is perfect... in the few years the cork city dump is goin to be turned into parks n playin fields, when the gas has been extracted and it covered over... isnt there a possabilty that corks new stadium could be built there :confused: ..im sure city can sort sumthin with the council..there's even room for the training facilities... i mean luk the sh*ty dutch team we played, there stadium was very impressive and in sum wild life park so y cant city investigate this possibility... i mean we dont even own the cross..

GavinZac
14/08/2004, 9:30 AM
NEC are over 100 years old and have been in the dutch top division for the majority of it. ****e they are not.

we are 20 years old, and average a league gate of about 4000. the initial cost of the stadium is one thing, but the costs of running an empty 15,000 seater stadium would nearly kill us. again.