PDA

View Full Version : Mons..

Dunny
09/05/2012, 12:22 PM
A general meeting was held in Gortakeegan last night for the committee, club members and fans of Monaghan United FC, at which the club outlined the difficulties it has been facing in relation to the raising of funds.

The meeting was well attended and a positive atmosphere pervaded the room. That is despite the current cash flow problems with the lack of any main sponsors being attained so far this season a key issue.

The lack of stadium and jersey sponsorship has left a hole in the Monaghan United finances and it is imperative for the club that this shortfall is made up in the near future.

This deficit is a short-term problem as there are many fundraising initiatives planned for the coming months to cover longer term finances but, in the meantime, if the club are to continue in the Premier Division there is an urgent need for an injection of money.

The club are aware that one of the best methods of raising the much needed funds is an increase in numbers through the turnstiles and has encouraged fans to help increase this by bringing a friend to games.

A new fundraising committee is being set up in the coming days to help drive forward any initiatives including a possible “seat sale” in the stand.

Monaghan United have also set up a special bank account to accept donations from anyone who has an interest in keeping League of Ireland football going in Monaghan.

Details of the special bank account are as follows:

Address: Ulster Bank, The Diamond, Monaghan
Branch Sort Code: 98-61-20
Account Number: 11333221

All donations are greatly appreciated by Monaghan United all all those connected to the club

Magicme
09/05/2012, 12:29 PM
Any fans from other clubs that fancy watching a game next Tuesday night are more than welcome to bolster the attendance at our game against Derry btw!

Dunny
09/05/2012, 12:37 PM
Is it as bad as it sounds MM?

the seat sale is a good idea.

Mr A
09/05/2012, 12:38 PM
Sorry to hear this, there seems to be a shocking level of apathy towards the club in the area. And people can say what they like about lack of local players- our experience is that people watch a winning team and the local quotient has no impact on crowds.

Bit early in the season for this, but given that Monaghan have a good record on this front I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're facing up to their problems early. "if the club are to continue in the Premier Division there is an urgent need for an injection of money" sounds ominous though.

Dodge
09/05/2012, 12:43 PM
Thats the line that freaked me. Have a lot of time for Monaghan, but 2 months into the season and struggling already? They say they have fundraisers lined up but surely if they were that lucrative, they could be rolled out now.

2 of 12 reporting difficulties already

Magicme
09/05/2012, 12:43 PM
We are not leaving the league, we are just taking steps now to prevent that from being the only option down the road.

I agree Mr A, but its actually funny how in the last few days when news of the fact that we were facing problems started leaking out how many people started to show their support verbally for the club and this might just help remove some of the apathy.

Dunny, the Seat Sale or sponsorship of a seat is in its infancy as an idea and already seems to be taking off. Basically its €50 to sponsor a seat in the stand and already some fans in Australia are buying into it.

Magicme
09/05/2012, 12:46 PM
Thats the line that freaked me. Have a lot of time for Monaghan, but 2 months into the season and struggling already? They say they have fundraisers lined up but surely if they were that lucrative, they could be rolled out now.

2 of 12 reporting difficulties already

We had some almost cast iron sponsors who have backed out at the last minute to leave a gaping hole in our finances. We also had a fundraising event planned that we were let down on in March so it has just left us struggling.

On the 2nd of June we have a white collar boxing event running and details of that will be out this week but if we don't get some immediate cash we will have to reconsider our position.

As I said, this is a preventative step but there is an urgent need for some cash now to help us over this hump so that we can continue.

passerrby
09/05/2012, 12:48 PM
Yes mr a we are trying to nip in the bud any problems heading our way! Anybody interested in getting there name on a seat and helping the club drop me a pm and I will get it sorted ,many thanks to all the positive calls this morning from all clubs in the league, restored my faith in the Loi

Mr A
09/05/2012, 12:52 PM
What about a draw for the shirt sponsorship? Worked OK for us when we couldn't get a main one, and we still use it for the back of our shirts.

Dunny
09/05/2012, 12:55 PM
Just out of interest, was Roddy present at the EGM?

The white collar boxing worked well for Dundalk. Also the take me out event, MMA etc..

Have Mons got any kind of patron scheme or membership?

Would it be worth while contacting these guys?

http://www.supporters-direct.org/

Dodge
09/05/2012, 12:58 PM
As I said, this is a preventative step but there is an urgent need for some cash now to help us over this hump so that we can continue.

I'm trying not be harsh here, but it isn't a preventative step, if it must be done now.

As ever, I wish you (and the rest of the hard working committee) all the best

gufc2000
09/05/2012, 3:21 PM
As a Galway United, I'm all too familiar with hearing this kind of news, best of luck to the Mons, ye've worked hard to get to where ye are now, hopefully ye can cement your place there. Can't imagine missing wage payments will become much of an issue will it given that the wage bill being operated off now is probably quite small?

The Lilywhites
09/05/2012, 4:09 PM
Did they not miss wage payments last week?

dfx-
09/05/2012, 4:13 PM
On the 2nd of June we have a white collar boxing event running and details of that will be out this week but if we don't get some immediate cash we will have to reconsider our position.

That doesn't sound like a preventative step. Are there alternative sponsors coming in the pipeline?

When you say reconsider position...does that mean CHF or Galway United (only win away to Bohs...)

Magicme
09/05/2012, 5:00 PM
What about a draw for the shirt sponsorship? Worked OK for us when we couldn't get a main one, and we still use it for the back of our shirts.

We have been looking at that and in fact we have someone working on that.

Just out of interest, was Roddy present at the EGM?

The white collar boxing worked well for Dundalk. Also the take me out event, MMA etc..

Have Mons got any kind of patron scheme or membership?

Would it be worth while contacting these guys?

http://www.supporters-direct.org/

Roddy wasn't there but that was coz he wasn't meant to be.

We don't have a patron scheme as such, we did have a membership sale years ago and we do have an annual membership scheme but it is only a few quid. I will bring the link to the club.

I'm trying not be harsh here, but it isn't a preventative step, if it must be done now.

As ever, I wish you (and the rest of the hard working committee) all the best

It's preventative in so far as we need to get some money now to prevent further problems that could lead to us leaving football. We need to fill the funding gap immediately to prevent a disaster.

That doesn't sound like a preventative step. Are there alternative sponsors coming in the pipeline?

When you say reconsider position...does that mean CHF or Galway United (only win away to Bohs...)

We are working on every possible sponsor and we do have some things that will hopefully come to pass soon.

Of course if we cant get funding we will have to look at our options again but no one wants it to come to that.

bluewhitearmy
09/05/2012, 5:53 PM
Did they not miss wage payments last week?

Missed 2 weeks from what i hear.

Trainee
09/05/2012, 5:57 PM
If you cant get a sponsor, go around to all Business in Monaghan ask the for 1k each, place each business into a draw. Prizes could be as follows:

1st Prize Main Sponsor
2nd Prize Back of Jersey sponsor
3rd prize shorts Sponsor

All other business get a sign in ground and free ads in your matchday programe

Mr A
09/05/2012, 6:16 PM
1k would be a serious stretch for a lot of businesses. Maybe offer a number of different packages... but then I've no doubt this has all been looked at.

Magicme
09/05/2012, 6:37 PM
Missed 2 weeks from what i hear.

You heard wrong then. Wages weren't missed, just working a week in hand like it should have been done at the start of the season.

Trainee, we are working on something along those lines, hence the reason we are not in danger of going out of business, just struggling and need help to get to the point where it is not a struggle.

redobit
09/05/2012, 7:20 PM
It's preventative in so far as we need to get some money now to prevent further problems that could lead to us leaving football. We need to fill the funding gap immediately to prevent a disaster.

I think that this is the 3rd year in a row that Ive heard Mons fans mention 'falling out of football'.

Magicme
09/05/2012, 7:34 PM
Well I dont know who you have been talking to coz I certainly havent heard that.

El-Pietro
10/05/2012, 7:49 AM
is anyone surprised?

Battery Rover
10/05/2012, 10:13 AM
Best of Luck with the fundraising but not a good time to be trying to raise any huge amounts of money.

At least you have a few home games on the way that will at least bring in some income and not having a run of fixtures like us. After tomorrow nights game against Mervue our next home fixture will be on Friday 22nd June against Waterford United 42 days away.

Magicme
10/05/2012, 10:52 AM
Battery we are not much better coz due to the Setanta Cup Final our game with Derry which should have been a cash cow is moved to Tuesday night and then our game against Shamrock Rovers which should also have been massive is on a Monday night. It never rains but it pours!

Anyone wishing to donate or Sponsor a Seat can now use the new paypal account set up for the fundraising by sending the money to licence@monaghanunited.ie

Thanks for all the well wishes I have gotten so far through text, pm's and facebook. All means so much when you are at your wits end. x

Dodge
10/05/2012, 10:54 AM
Anyone wishing to donate or Sponsor a Seat can now use the new paypal account set up for the fundraising by sending the money to licence@monaghanunited.ie

Shouldn't find the e-mail address funny but I do...

Magicme
10/05/2012, 11:06 AM
I know! Its the fact that our licensing officer Colm Mahony has taken on the key role of fundraising co-ordinator that has it as that address. :D I was waiting for someone to comment on that!

Sean South
10/05/2012, 5:28 PM
Why aren't the Local yokels coming out supporting the club more since they got promoted? It's seems Monaghan just weren't ready for Premier league football off the pitch and haven't been doing enough work to build up links and integrate with the local community.

OneForTheFuture
10/05/2012, 8:12 PM

Thanks for all the well wishes I have gotten so far through text, pm's and facebook. All means so much when you are at your wits end. x

Done! Won't light up the world but every little helps, eh?

Best of luck.

Morginho
12/05/2012, 9:48 PM
Fair play man. :)
Wish one of them billionaire Arab oil barons came in, one can only dream :D

Spudulika
13/05/2012, 7:24 AM
Fair play man. :)
Wish one of them billionaire Arab oil barons came in, one can only dream :D

I did hear rumours of Bin Roddy, but I think that wasn't arab related :p

Good luck Mons, any good friendlies lined up next couple of months?

Morginho
13/05/2012, 11:33 AM
Real Madrid in the Home Depot Centre in LA thats about it nothing big.....