PDA

View Full Version : Danny Murphy Interview

A face
09/05/2012, 10:16 AM
Q: First off Danny, thanks for speaking to us today, anyway, you are playing with Cork City again this season and despite a rough start to life in the Premier Division, the 'Rebel Army' seem to have found their feet again. How would you rate the start of the season so far, for both yourself and Cork City FC?

A: I would say its been a mixed bag, we have played well against the top teams and should have beat them, then we've not played well against the teams we would be expected to beat. For myself it's been a ok start but I can still improve.

Q: It's only two seasons back you were celebrating a league title with Shamrock Rovers. But in the off-season of 2010 you decided on a move back to Turners Cross and it surprised many including me. Maybe you could tell us a little more about the move and the reasons behind it?

A: As much as I had a good time at Rovers it just didn't feel the same as it did playing for Cork and it was the same in Scotland, plus the travelling was hard. I had just had a baby with my wife Claudia and it just seemed like I was never home as she is from Cork and real Cork girls won't leave the county!!

Q: This is of course your third spell with Cork City FC, but can you tell us the differences in the set up and structure of the club from the Cork you played with in 2004-2006 and 2008-2009 compared to the Cork City of present?

A: It's not got a plonker (Tom Coughlan) running it for his own benefit and personal gains, it's run by people (FORAS) who care and love everything about the club and want to see it grow.

Q: You of course were part of the Cork City league winning side in 2005, as well as the Setanta Cup winning side in 2008. But was perhaps the First Division triumph of last season the most important of all as it rose Cork City FC from the 'graveyard division' and brought City back to where they belong?

A: I like that we're back where we belong because Cork were missed in the Premier, by the players, clubs and fans of every team. It was was a big decision to leave Rovers and come back to Cork but it's where my heart is and I wanted to get the club back up as a personal thing.

Q: Having been part of those triumphant Cork City sides you have gained the status of a Cork City favorite and you of course have the nickname of 'Cockney Rebel'. Just how good are the fans down at Turners?

A: They're the best around, that's why I love playing for the club and want to finish my career here. We often can hear the shed pre-match and that must effect away teams.

Q: Going back a few years you have played with a number of English/Scottish league clubs including current Premier League side QPR, Current Champions League qualifiers Motherwell and the likes of Swindon Town, Dunfermline and Margate Town while you also played for West Ham United at Youth level. At the age of 29 and with the experience of winning trophies here in Ireland, do you ever think about giving English/Scottish football one last bash?

A: No as I said this is where I belong in cork trying to win more trophies. I have a family now and want to finish playing days at cork.

Q: When you see the run Shamrock Rovers went on in Europe last season, do you ever regret perhaps not having the chance to play on that grand stage and is it something you are still hopefully of doing (playing in Europe)?

A: Maybe a small bit, but I have played in some fantastic European games with Rovers (Juventus) and City (Apoel, Nantes). If we keep improving we can get a European spot this season.

Q: Back to the current League of Ireland season for a moment. There is always great expectation and pressure placed on Cork City teams by the Turners Cross faithful with some pundits commenting that it could be the downfall of this Cork City team. Do you ever feel that way or is pressure a good thing for the team and manager?

A: I personally don't, I thrive on it it. If you don't set high expectations as a player you will never achieve anything in life. People, in cork, expect to be proud of their teams as a city and county. That's why we get such good crowds.

Q: I asked you about Europe earlier Danny, do you think that is something this current crop of Cork City players and management could or should be aiming for? And has Tommy Dunne (Cork City manager) set out a target in terms of points or league position for you guys this season?

A: We have not really spoke about it to be honest, but I want to finish in the top 4 and I think every player in the team and management want the same.

Q: Finally Danny, I understand you are doing some great work in terms of coaching these days. Maybe you could tell us a little bit more about the work you do?

A: I have a coaching company called concept4soccer (http://www.concept4Soccer.com) It's a coaching programme based on a system used in UK and European Academies, where each child has their own ball and is able to work on ball manipulation and control, improving their technical ability.

It's difficult for coaches at clubs to get the time to do it so we go into clubs to train kids as well as having our own weekly sessions in Douglas and Kinsale, Cork. The response we have had from clubs we have worked with has been very good. As well as fantastic feedback from parents.

Danny, it's been an absolute honour and a pleasure to speak to you and everyone on THE LOI BLOG would like to wish you the very best of luck for not only the season ahead with Cork City but with Concept4Soccer.

Taken from The League of Ireland Blog (http://theleagueofirelandblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/danny-murphy-interview-cockney-rebel.html)