PDA

View Full Version : Shels -v- Depor

De Town
11/08/2004, 7:47 PM
0-0 at half time. Shels doing very well. Jason Byrne missed sitter in injury time of first half. Depor haven't shown much in the way of attack.

Shels:4-1-4-1: Williams, Heary, Harris, Rogers, Crawley, S.Byrne, J.Byrne, Hoolahan, Moore, Cahill, Fitzpatrick.

Depor:4-2-3-1: Molina(Manua 35ish), Manuel Pablo, Cesar, Andrade, Romero, Mauro Silva, Sergio, Victor, Valeron, Luque, Pandiani.

crc
11/08/2004, 7:57 PM
anyone near a tv, would be gateful for updates as to how shels are playing.

0-0 seems good, but is it a backs against the wall or are they playing well?

4tothefloor
11/08/2004, 8:14 PM
playing well, doing a fair bit of attacking and giving it a good go. Certainly not backs-against-the-wall at all.

crc
11/08/2004, 8:19 PM
thanks for the info.

4tothefloor
11/08/2004, 8:22 PM
Alan Moore just had a glancing header turned round the post. Almost 1-0 Shels!

4tothefloor
11/08/2004, 8:37 PM
Full-time 0-0, great performance from Shels.

Jon'o
11/08/2004, 8:42 PM
good on them :)

hope they nick it in two weeks time

thecorner
11/08/2004, 8:44 PM
good on them :)

hope they nick it in two weeks time

ill give you 100/1 that they dont

Jon'o
11/08/2004, 8:48 PM

ok so.

never know :D

De Town
11/08/2004, 9:03 PM
Yeah, fair play to Shels. Kept Depor to 10 mins after the break of pressure and the rest was fairly comfortable. Might have nicked it with Byrne's chance and Moore's header but it was still a good result.

eirebhoy
11/08/2004, 9:03 PM
100/1 that they don't? I'll a tenner on that. ;)

Great performance tonight. There still in with a chance of getting a score draw in the away leg. Depor played for the 0-0 though which was suprising. Glen Fitz was shíte, Ndo has to start in 2 weeks.

tiktok
11/08/2004, 9:09 PM
Pretty even, neither side created much of note.
Draw was a fair result, fair play to Shels though, could have nicked it and they've matched the fifth ranked team in Europe.

ccfcgirl
11/08/2004, 9:54 PM
Very good performance,good support and great result ,shels did the league proud wes was my man of the match :) :) :) :)

Pablo
11/08/2004, 10:09 PM
Firstly.....well done Shels. good result.

Secondly........Depor didnt attack Shels at all i fear for them in Spain

Thirdly..........we'll remind you what a tackle is on Saturday ;)

Finally...........good crowd good support and an over all good advert for the EL, so i'll give Shels their due

Bald Student
11/08/2004, 10:14 PM
The half time announcer:

"I hope to see some, if not all, of you in Tolka park for the next league game."

Pablo
11/08/2004, 10:19 PM
The half time announcer:

"I hope to see some, if not all, of you in Tolka park for the next league game."

very good. 30 mins each so!

thecorner
11/08/2004, 11:20 PM
100/1 that they don't? I'll a tenner on that. ;)

Great performance tonight. There still in with a chance of getting a score draw in the away leg. Depor played for the 0-0 though which was suprising. Glen Fitz was shíte, Ndo has to start in 2 weeks.

THAT THEY DONT OVERTURN DEPOR

pineapple stu
11/08/2004, 11:25 PM
Incredible result, though I have to admit I was very disappointed with La Coruna. They had three chances in the whole match, I think, and the rest was almost all Shels. Only down side is I can see why we got rid of Glen! ;) I presume Depor will have more up their sleeve in two weeks' time and will go through, but I can see Shels, with any kind of a decent draw, making the UEFA Cup groups... Which would be huge for the UEFA Rankings.

Great to see the pubs (or at least the one I was in) showing Shels on two screens and not showing United! :D

Sheridan
11/08/2004, 11:35 PM
Incredible result, though I have to admit I was very disappointed with La Coruna. They had three chances in the whole match, I think, and the rest was almost all Shels. Only down side is I can see why we got rid of Glen! ;) I presume Depor will have more up their sleeve in two weeks' time and will go through, but I can see Shels, with any kind of a decent draw, making the UEFA Cup groups... Which would be huge for the UEFA Rankings.

Great to see the pubs (or at least the one I was in) showing Shels on two screens and not showing United! :D

My bro (librarian at UCD btw ;) ) has no real interest in football, particularly Irish football, but even he was talking about this game. Said that on his way home tonight, every takeaway/pub/establishment with a TV was showing the Shels game.

My gut instinct is that Shels will get hammered in the Riazor, but looking at Depor, Valeron (well-marshalled by Stuey Byrne, I thought) and Luque apart, they don't have much creativity about them. Aldo Duscher (basically a clogger with fairly good technique) was brought on specifically to mark Hoolahan, which I thought was a huge compliment to eL football.

I think that Shels just might conceivably do it :eek:

With Manuel Pablo and Romero presumably pushing on, Cahill and Byrne/Ndo might be able to get around the back of Depor, and both are dangerous in that situation. Even if Depor retain their cautious approach, a 0-0 draw still puts Shels within a penalty shoot-out of the CL.

BTW, something just occurred to me. If (IF) Shels get through, where would they play their games? Renting Lansdowne for three further games would surely be logistically impossible and/or ruinously expensive.

eirebhoy
11/08/2004, 11:36 PM
THAT THEY DONT OVERTURN DEPOR
If you gave 100/1 that they do overturn Depor that means if I put £1 and Shels won then I get £100 back. Put the "Don't" in and its the opposite. ;)

brendy_éire
11/08/2004, 11:41 PM
BTW, something just occurred to me. If (IF) Shels get through, where would they play their games? Renting Lansdowne for three further games would surely be logistically impossible and/or ruinously expensive.

Pat Dolan said something about them getting €10,000,000 if they get past this round, I think. Seems very high.
Shels need to sell 20,000 tickets to break even on Lansdowne, so it won't cost them to hold it there, I assume.

Breifne
12/08/2004, 2:37 AM

Can I stick twenty on that one please.

the 12 th man
12/08/2004, 7:14 AM
thought they did well as depor came to spoil and take it to spain to do shels.
i think they could be made pay for that.i feel in "my waters" a 1-1 draw
in spain :eek: .

depor looked very rusty and shels were on top of their game so there is still hope for shels :)

as "the giller" said on the radio "this tie is far from over"

Pat-L
12/08/2004, 7:34 AM
Well done to Shelbourne, good result last night ......is it ok for a Celitc supporter to congratulate a team from a different league ?....lol

Macy
12/08/2004, 8:44 AM
Why? If they made money on tonight, which they must have, why would it be ruinously expensive? Logistically it wouldn't be a problem at all really - mid week so no clashes with any rugby....

Shels played well, but I agree Ndo must start instead of Fitzpatrick, leaving Byrne up front. Fitzpatrick doesn't have the pace for the lone striker role - if he did he would've had a couple of one on one's last night. I'm told that they gave Heery man of the match - Hoolahan for me. One word on the officials, thought they gave Depor a lot of soft free's, but fair play for not falling for the Depor play acting second half.

If, and it's a big if, Depor play as poor in the second leg, Shels have the chance to nick it. Can't see it though.

Macy
12/08/2004, 8:45 AM
thought they did well as depor came to spoil and take it to spain to do shels.
It was important for them to keep the tie alive, to garantee a gate in the second leg ;)

Hoops
12/08/2004, 9:50 AM
If you gave 100/1 that they do overturn Depor that means if I put £1 and Shels won then I get £100 back. Put the "Don't" in and its the opposite. ;)

These days were using the €. :D

Why are you all so happy to see $hels doing well, I'm a Hoops fan, i like to see rovers winning, but how can you call yourself a fan of a club if you cheer shels on, its disgusting to see all the leagues fans dancing around shels totem pole. How can for instance Cork fans cheer them on last night but then on Saturday shout against them

the 12 th man
12/08/2004, 10:05 AM
These days were using the €. :D

Why are you all so happy to see $hels doing well, I'm a Hoops fan, i like to see rovers winning, but how can you call yourself a fan of a club if you cheer shels on, its disgusting to see all the leagues fans dancing around shels totem pole. How can for instance Cork fans cheer them on last night but then on Saturday shout against them

plenty of rovers shirts in the crowd last night :) and indeed at the hadjuk split game.
call it shouting for your fellow country men against foreigners

wws
12/08/2004, 10:06 AM
no idea myself but i did spy a shamrock flag and a bray flag in the east stand

Ole Ole Ole

Go figure

Fitzpatrick was septic

shels failure to win last nite proves once and for all that irish league teams are crap ;)

martin_rules_ie
12/08/2004, 10:19 AM
shels failure to win last nite proves once and for all that irish league teams are crap ;)

Hope you were messing! if not would you go away and FCUK OFF! what are you smoking? Shur they're only champions league semi-finalists with a far superior squad and better training facilities, better stadium etc need i say anymore :rolleyes: . THE REASON DEPOR PLAYED MEDIOCRE WAS BECAUSE SHELBOURNE PLAYED AMAZINGLY AND WERE UNLUCKY NOT TO SCORE! saying that as a CCFC fan really hurt :eek: !!!!!!!

manic da hoop
12/08/2004, 10:34 AM
no idea myself but i did spy a shamrock flag and a bray flag in the east stand

Ole Ole Ole

Go figure

Fitzpatrick was septic

Who are 'Shamrock', and what has Shels' performance last night got to do with the Irish League?

pete
12/08/2004, 11:04 AM
Hoolohan MOTM, Fitzpatrick very poor, Jason Byrne so wasted on right wing as poor passer of th ball, Has to be Ndo on right wing & Jason Byrne up fron tin 2 weeks.

Luque very dangerous in 1st half & will be real threat with wider pitch in La Coruna. Valeron made to look like mug & almost nothing from him.

Moment of the match of Hoolahan skinning midfielder in first half & jersey dragged so yellow card to spanaird.

Always funny to be at game surrounded by part-time football supporters or people who barely ever seen a game live. ;)

Hopefully 1-0 or 0-0 & then penalty win for Depotivo in 2 weeks time cos group stages really would mean end of competitive eL for next 3 years at least.

wws
12/08/2004, 11:12 AM
Who are 'Shamrock', and what has Shels' performance last night got to do with the Irish League?

who are they is right

i dont make the flags ask them

ole ole ****s

Colm
12/08/2004, 3:08 PM
Always funny to be at game surrounded by part-time football supporters or people who barely ever seen a game live. ;)

Yeah, I found that quite amusing aswell. I was in the upper east stand and there were very few hardcore Shels fans around there, a few of them didn't seem to know what to do and seemed quite distressed at the lack of an action replay! Thought it was hilarious to see two blokes in Liverpool jerseys a few rows in front of me trying to join in the Shels chants and making a complete mess of it! :D

There was a good enough atmosphere at the game (could have been better if Shels had a bigger hardcore) and I must say that when the champions league music was played at the start it made me realise how much I want us to be in a similar position next season or in the very near future. If the players needed any motivation to beat Shels on Saturday and go on to win the league, bringing them to last nights game would have got them really fired up and showed them that this time next year it could be the Rebel Army in the Champions league.

Hoolahan was motm, Ndo was class when he came on but Fitzpatrick was shocking. We could take Shels on Saturday but it ain't going to be easy. I'd say a big TV audience is assured for the clash of Ireland's two Euro giants.

btw, I felt guilty buying a programme last night.... an extra 4 quid for Ollie Byrne's pockets. :(

pete
12/08/2004, 3:29 PM
btw, I felt guilty buying a programme last night.... an extra 4 quid for Ollie Byrne's pockets. :(

Maybe you can sell it to a collector & cleanse yourself at the same time.

Not as many foreign jerseys as i expected last night.

Means irish teasm undefeated @ home against teasm that have won french & spanish league in last few years ;)

pineapple stu
12/08/2004, 5:19 PM
buying a programme last night.... an extra 4 quid

:eek: :eek:

You're joking?!

CuanaD
12/08/2004, 7:33 PM
:eek: :eek:

You're joking?!

It was a good programme though, something to read at half time.

pineapple stu
14/08/2004, 1:47 AM
It was a good programme though

You're joking?! :eek: :D