PDA

View Full Version : Best ever irish goal

Pages : [1] 2

NeilMcD
11/08/2004, 4:44 PM
just a suggestion, but how about a poll on the Best ever Irish goal. In my memory the best one i have seen was Ronnie Whelans against Russia in Hannover, at Euro 88. We are not usually a country that scores great goals, but some others, woudl have to be Houghton against Italy, Houghton against Northern Ireland. Duff against, Canada, and against Russia.

NeilMcD
11/08/2004, 5:16 PM
Houghtons goal against the North was a great move too, a great ball by whelan involved too, and by sheedy. I agree, the goal by Mc Atter in amsterdam and by Keane there too, are crackers Anyway the more goals mentioned the better and gets us thinking that maybe there will be a few more great goals during the autumn and winter.

Harry Tipper
11/08/2004, 6:00 PM
And what of 12-6-1988 Neckarstadion, Stuttgart. Ireland vs England. 1-0. Houghton 6' ??
It had a bit of everything that all great goals have: Skill, luck, importance, emotion. Maybe a bit obvious and not one for the purists but I still shiver when I see it. Imagine it was 16 years ago already....Time flies.

brine3
11/08/2004, 8:39 PM
McAteer vs Holland, brilliant build-up play from Roy Keane and some slick moves from Steve Finnan had Cocu in the horrors before McAteer broke the net. Definitely Ireland's best team goal.

Also, Robbie Keane vs Yugoslavia at Lansdowne in the Euro 2000 qualifiers. Lovely knock down from Quinn with Robbie Keane burying it on the half volley from about 15 yards out.

And how can we forget Gary Breen's wonder volley vs the Saudis. :D

1MickCollins
11/08/2004, 10:41 PM
Liam Brady versus Brazil at Lansdowne Road, a romario type goal.

Whelan's against USSR was good but of course he caught it on the shin when he meant to volley it.

McGrath scored a few nice ones, I remember a sweet volley from the edge of the area against Hungary or Malta I think.

pineapple stu
11/08/2004, 11:29 PM
Ronnie v. USSR must win hands down!

As for runners-up, what about Mark Kennedy's v. Yugoslavia in the same match as the Robbie Keane one mentioned earlier? Picked it up in the mid, going nowhere, drifts past one then suddenly unleashes a cracker in off the bar from 25 yards! Robbie Keane v. Holland was a brilliant team move, as was Jason McAteer v. Macedonia a few years back (won 3-0).

And maybe some olden ones too! ;)

tricky_colour
12/08/2004, 12:23 AM
I think it has to be Houghton V Italy for me, this was in the
World Cup finals, and Italy were, I think, favourites for the Cup.

It was also totally out of the blue!!

I had never seen my father jump out of his chair before!

Peadar
12/08/2004, 9:11 AM
Robbie Keane against Germany in the 2002 WC after a knock-down by Quinn.
Keano found the smallest of gaps, under pressure in injury time, to get us a deserved draw. The composure it took to finish from there was incredible.
Thanks for the memory Robbie.
Here's to many more.
Ronnie's goal v Russia in 88 was really important for many young fans like myself because it showed that Ireland could score great goals against big name teams too. I was hooked anyway.

green goblin
13/08/2004, 12:14 PM
It used to be Houghton Vs the German Lady's XI, every time. But Robbie's last ditch miracle in the World Cup made me scream so loudly I made nearby children cry. Including my own.

Plastic Paddy
13/08/2004, 12:20 PM
It used to be Houghton Vs the German Lady's XI, every time. But Robbie's last ditch miracle in the World Cup made me scream so loudly I made nearby children cry. Including my own.

Likewise meself. I nearly brought half the city of London to a standstill from a table in Ryan's bar on Cotton Lane. I had to be surgically removed from the ceiling of said hostelry several minutes later. A wonderful moment.

:D PP

PS - I see you're from Ricky. I went to school there meself (SJA). Are you from that part or a "blow-in"? Just interested...

green goblin
13/08/2004, 12:36 PM
PS - I see you're from Ricky. I went to school there meself (SJA). Are you from that part or a "blow-in"? Just interested...
Local yokel 2G. Didn't go to Joan of Arc though.

the 12 th man
13/08/2004, 12:45 PM
I think it has to be Houghton V Italy for me, this was in the
World Cup finals, and Italy were, I think, favourites for the Cup.

It was also totally out of the blue!!

I had never seen my father jump out of his chair before!

what a great memory.
i had a house party that day with about 30 people up.i had the use of 4 tellys in different rooms.i'll never forget that moment when the ball hit the net.....there was that split second when you thought that the ball could'nt be in the net as the goalie just watched it go over his head :D

brine3
14/08/2004, 11:13 AM
I thought I might mention Robbie Keane's goal against Holland in the Arena during the World Cup qualifiers. Carr and McAteer exchanged backheels up the right wing, totally taking the p|ss out of the Dutch defence.

tricky_colour
14/08/2004, 5:44 PM
I vaguely remember a goal which involved two sort of backheels
is that the one? (I think it was aagainst Holland on the break.

They were more sideways backheels though pushing the ball behind
your other foot.

liam88
14/08/2004, 6:09 PM
Likewise meself. I nearly brought half the city of London to a standstill from a table in Ryan's bar on Cotton Lane. I had to be surgically removed from the ceiling of said hostelry several minutes later. A wonderful moment.

:D PP

Was legging it round the living room screaming for about half an hour :D :D
will never froget "O ROBBIE KEANE IS THROUGH....."
PP where are you watching the WCC hopefully we can meet up or some?
Dead annoying ma parents are going back to Ireland during the Cyprus game and I'll be stuck here with all the tans around singing 'no surrender' aw well can always p*ss 'em off with ma tri's (already have one out the window for the Olympics) :D

Emmet
14/08/2004, 6:21 PM
I agree with all of the above - all classic goals for different reasons!

I remember Niall Quinn's goal at Wembley too - a deep cross and an incredibly cool side foot into the net. Seaman was expecting him to blast it but he just let the ball bounce gently off his foot into the bottom corner. Perhaps not quite as good as some of the others listed above but it is certainly up there imo

Harry Tipper
14/08/2004, 8:12 PM
Wonderful, wonderful stuff!!
http://www.footballpoets.org/p.asp?Id=5310

Junior
15/08/2004, 11:56 AM
Robbie Keane against Germany in the 2002 WC after a knock-down by Quinn.
Keano found the smallest of gaps, under pressure in injury time, to get us a deserved draw. The composure it took to finish from there was incredible.
Thanks for the memory Robbie.

on a side note, the best footage ever is the slow motion reaction of Mick Mc a Robbie goes through on goal and McCarthy realises he's equalised, absolutely brilliant I think it was probably the way we all were as we watched it.....

thecorner
15/08/2004, 12:58 PM
any of roy keanes :D

sylvo
15/08/2004, 1:26 PM
12/6/88 Ray Houghton in Stuttgart euro 88, :D :D

Adrianovic
15/08/2004, 1:52 PM
on a side note, the best footage ever is the slow motion reaction of Mick Mc a Robbie goes through on goal and McCarthy realises he's equalised, absolutely brilliant I think it was probably the way we all were as we watched it.....

Yeah that was classic stuff, I don't remember seeing the goal when it went in, so I might have been looking away, but the pub went absolutely barmy. People were jumping around spilling beer everywhere, arms around each other and screaming their heads off.

Then we all remembered our decorum and discussed the finer points of the goal.

Ade

pineapple stu
15/08/2004, 8:47 PM

:( :eek: :D

tarzan_bray
16/08/2004, 11:55 AM
I was behind the goal in Ibaraki when Robbie scored, all I remember is getting caught up in a sea of other fans and ending up about 5 rows from my seat, it was absolutely bananas and we stayed for half an hour after singing and then onto Roppongi in Tokyo which is like Temple Bar and sang outside Foley's till 5 in the morning when the metro re-opened, I was so ******ed the next day, slept on a park bench for a few hours as the accomodation we had threw us out at 10 each day, the things you do for cheap accomodation :confused:

Junior
16/08/2004, 12:18 PM
I was behind the goal in Ibaraki when Robbie scored, all I remember is getting caught up in a sea of other fans and ending up about 5 rows from my seat, it was absolutely bananas and we stayed for half an hour after singing and then onto Roppongi in Tokyo which is like Temple Bar and sang outside Foley's till 5 in the morning when the metro re-opened, I was so ******ed the next day, slept on a park bench for a few hours as the accomodation we had threw us out at 10 each day, the things you do for cheap accomodation :confused:

Headed to Roppongi that night as well, it was about 3am by the time we got our first beer after the game (****ign about with trains and that), come 7am though we were all scuttered!!! great memories..............

1MickCollins
16/08/2004, 10:35 PM
I'm glad somebody else remebers Brady's goal, Robbie Keane is the only other Irish player that I could imagine scoring that goal in that way.

tricky_colour
17/08/2004, 12:24 AM
for sheer holy-Jesus-did-you-see-that? value it has to be Ronnie Whelan against the USSR at Euro 88.
Liam Brady's goal against Brazil in 1987 at Lansdowne Rd was my first ever soccer match anywhere, I was 11 yrs old and it made my year.

Anyone have video of either goal, I found a link for Whelans goal
video on google
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:UR6H2qgAo6oJ:en.uefa.com/multimedia/type%3Dvideo/+Ronnie+Whelan+against+the+USSR+at+Euro+88.+&hl=en

(cached) but it does not work now :(

tricky_colour
17/08/2004, 1:31 AM
Anyone have video of either goal, I found a link for Whelans goal
video on google
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:UR6H2qgAo6oJ:en.uefa.com/multimedia/type%3Dvideo/+Ronnie+Whelan+against+the+USSR+at+Euro+88.+&hl=en

(cached) but it does not work now :(

Actually I have found it! (From an earlier thread on this site).
My thanks to Eirebhoy!!
http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/WhelanGoal.rm

Its a bit hard to see what happens though, blink and you have
missed it, looks a bit like an overhead kick/volley.
Difficult to see the ball, and it seems to be only a few frames
of what happens, maybe my computer is to slow for it!!

1MickCollins
17/08/2004, 1:36 AM

Feels like yesterday...

1MickCollins
17/08/2004, 1:39 AM
Tricky - after playing the file from this link go into your 'Temporary Internet Files' folder and you will find a WhelanGoal[1].ram file. Copy that to a safe location.

Bowsy
17/08/2004, 9:29 AM
Shin, foot, whatever that flew in off i could watch it all day. Fantastic.

tricky_colour
17/08/2004, 1:51 PM
Tricky - after playing the file from this link go into your 'Temporary Internet Files' folder and you will find a WhelanGoal[1].ram file. Copy that to a safe location.

Thanks for that tip Mick, I was wondering where it was stored as it is
not 'streaming'. It thought it would store it in a more obscure place or
only hold it in memory (that .ram name was a red herring).

macdermesser
17/08/2004, 3:07 PM
thanks for the link too..
would anyone have houghtons v England goal? Or Gabriel Egans commentary of that goal (class!) .. would be amazing to stick the two together .. using windows movie maker or some program like that ..

tiktok
17/08/2004, 3:14 PM
just on that subject.

RTE are currently re-running the excellent 'reeling in the years' and are just at the end of the eighties, so tonight's show at 6.30 on RTE 1 should allow us to relive Italia '90.

as for the topic here, my top three would be

1. Houghton -v- Northern Ireland at Landsdowne in '89
2. Brady's against Brazil
3. Whelan's against Russia

pineapple stu
17/08/2004, 6:23 PM
What's an RM file when it's at home? What programme do you have to open it with? Downloaded okay, but coming up with the Windows icon beside it and asks me how I want to open it... :(

Jon'o
17/08/2004, 6:32 PM
What's an RM file when it's at home? What programme do you have to open it with? Downloaded okay, but coming up with the Windows icon beside it and asks me how I want to open it... :(

think its a real media file - would need to down load the player, but should be able to play it through windows media player i think?

tricky_colour
17/08/2004, 6:41 PM
thanks for the link too..
would anyone have houghtons v England goal? Or Gabriel Egans commentary of that goal (class!) .. would be amazing to stick the two together .. using windows movie maker or some program like that ..

Hmm.. does WMM create .wmv files?

I find my computer is not really quick enough to play them.

I cant see what was wrong with the older formats myself.

Just a ploy to force people to buy new computers in my opinion.

If you do do it, create a good old mpeg!!!

Apart from anything else they are much easier to work with.

tricky_colour
17/08/2004, 6:50 PM
think its a real media file - would need to down load the player, but should be able to play it through windows media player i think?

Yes it is a real media file but no I don't think you can play it through
WMP, I couldn't anyway.

I believe real media stuff is designed to be imcompatible 'for marketing'
reasons, thus forcing you to use their player. I could be wrong though
and you may be able to get other players to play it.

I mean otherwise why didn't they just make the file a bog standard mpeg?

I dont like the real media stuuf cos of the time it installed itself all
over my computer, taking over it.
It took me ages to get rid of it.
It does seemed to have stopped trying to hijack my computer
now though. Being an unwanted guest is not a very good form
or marketing.

Harry Tipper
17/08/2004, 7:03 PM
I was talking to a lad here the other day about the riot in Landsdowne Road in 1995. We were leading 1-0 before the match was abandoned and it struck me that I can't remember anything about the goal. I wonder if it was Alan Kelly who scored? Anything to jog the memory??

tricky_colour
17/08/2004, 7:10 PM

You need to have the real media player, if you have not got it
you must downoad if from here
http://uk.real.com/player/?&src=ZG.uk.idx,ZG.uk.rp.rp.hd.def

I remember it took me ages to downkoad it, AND that was just
to download a program to do the download, the real download
took much longer, hence I do not like it at all.

I also find the player is very slow to load when you use it..

Apart from that its shyte it says I am not connected to the
internet when I check for updates and it seems to have
screwed up my computer so I cant do smilies :rolleyes:

Seems to be fixed now :)

Harry Tipper
17/08/2004, 7:28 PM

Fantastic!! Thanks for the tip. Can ye hear the backing-singers shouting JACK! ....JACK!.....JACK! in the background? :D

pineapple stu
17/08/2004, 8:14 PM
I wonder if it was Alan Kelly who scored?

Jayz, I know he was famous for his goal-kicks, but scoring a goal would be a bit too much to ask! 'Twas David Kelly, played in by John Sheridan. Well-taken goal, though obviously not up with the best. Think Kelly had missed a few good chances already in the game.

Cheers for the advice re the download - will give it a try...

tricky_colour
17/08/2004, 10:57 PM
A few more details.

http://www.rsssf.com/tablese/eng-intres95.html

FRIENDLY INTERNATIONAL
15/02/1995, Dublin, Lansdowne Road, 46.000
IRELAND 1-0 ENGLAND [HT N/A]
Scorer: David Kelly 22' (1-0)

IRE: Alan Kelly, Dennis Irwin, Terry Phelan, Alan Kernaghan, Paul McGrath, Eddie
McGoldrick, John Sheridan, Andy Townsend, Niall Quinn, David Kelly, Steve Staunton
ENGLAND:
David Seaman [Arsenal] [17/0]
Warren Barton [Wimbledon] [1/0]
Graeme Le Saux [Blackburn Rovers] [7/0]
Tony Adams [Arsenal] [34/4]
Gary Pallister [Manchester United] [16/0]
Paul Ince [Manchester United] [16/2]
Darren Anderton [Tottenham Hotspurs] [5/1]
David Platt [c] [Sampdoria-ITA] [51/24]
Alan Shearer [Blackburn Rovers] [14/5]
Peter Beardsley [Newcastle United] [54/9]
Matthew Le Tissier [Southampton] [6/0]
[COACH: Terry Venables]
Referee: Jol (Netherlands)
Note: Match Abandoned after 27 minutes due to crowd violence.

BobbySands
18/08/2004, 2:37 AM
While I'd agree the Ronnie Whelan v Russia was a stunner I might have to give my vote to Robbie Keane for the German equaliser. In the last seconds of such an important match the knock down from Quinn was a little off and Robbie had to work a little magic to get it past Kahn. Hats off to Robbie for his peno v Portugal. Why didn't he take the Harte miss during normal time ???
Robbie Keanes Ma.

macdermesser
18/08/2004, 5:37 AM
Hmm.. does WMM create .wmv files?

I find my computer is not really quick enough to play them.

I cant see what was wrong with the older formats myself.

Just a ploy to force people to buy new computers in my opinion.

If you do do it, create a good old mpeg!!!

Apart from anything else they are much easier to work with.

Yes .. it creates wmv files .. but .. but there are all sorts of free converters out there which can change one format to another.

If you are interested .. try this link (http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html) for a handy little converter program.
By the way, for moviemaker .. you would need to convert the audio files to mp3.

Sorry for going way off the topic .... two headers stick out for me in the best goal category .. both from Cascarino ... the build up to his goal gainst Northern Ireland .. in the same match as Houghtons goal ... whelans sweeping cross field ball .. and then Sheedy's pinpoint cross ...

or the goal against England at Lansdowne in 1991.. where the crowd in the south terrace practicallly sucked it in .. oh the relief

Stuttgart88
18/08/2004, 3:29 PM
I just mentioned this in another thread but it's appropriate here too.

Check out www.dermothardy.com and turn the PC volume up. It's footage of Robbie's goal in Ibaraki. I was behind the goal too. Great night in Roppongi afterwards though I hated that Foleys pub.

For the record, the techically best goals we scored were both the goals in Amsterdam in my opinion, though the end result ruins the context somewhat.

If only Aldridge had kep that volley a bit lower against Russia in '88 it would have been untouchable as our best ever goal. Anyone else remember that miss?

Junior
18/08/2004, 3:48 PM
. Great night in Roppongi afterwards though I hated that Foleys pub.

pleased to say I never set foot in the place, travel half way around the world to be ripped off by your own, feck that - far too many other great bars in the vacinity.....

ccfcgirl
18/08/2004, 3:52 PM
:) :) :) :) :ball:

Pat O' Banton
18/08/2004, 3:53 PM
A few more details.

http://www.rsssf.com/tablese/eng-intres95.html

FRIENDLY INTERNATIONAL
15/02/1995, Dublin, Lansdowne Road, 46.000
IRELAND 1-0 ENGLAND [HT N/A]
Scorer: David Kelly 22' (1-0)

IRE: Alan Kelly, Dennis Irwin, Terry Phelan, Alan Kernaghan, Paul McGrath, Eddie
McGoldrick, John Sheridan, Andy Townsend, Niall Quinn, David Kelly, Steve Staunton
ENGLAND:
David Seaman [Arsenal] [17/0]
Warren Barton [Wimbledon] [1/0]
Graeme Le Saux [Blackburn Rovers] [7/0]
Tony Adams [Arsenal] [34/4]
Gary Pallister [Manchester United] [16/0]
Paul Ince [Manchester United] [16/2]
Darren Anderton [Tottenham Hotspurs] [5/1]
David Platt [c] [Sampdoria-ITA] [51/24]
Alan Shearer [Blackburn Rovers] [14/5]
Peter Beardsley [Newcastle United] [54/9]
Matthew Le Tissier [Southampton] [6/0]
[COACH: Terry Venables]
Referee: Jol (Netherlands)
Note: Match Abandoned after 27 minutes due to crowd violence.

This gets to the stage of anal retentiveness, but is always a good answer to have in the pub.
English player to have started a game but not earned a cap?
Warren Barton. International honours apparently do not account unless the match result stands.

Sheridan
18/08/2004, 3:58 PM
This gets to the stage of anal retentiveness, but is always a good answer to have in the pub.
English player to have started a game but not earned a cap?
Warren Barton. International honours apparently do not account unless the match result stands.
He does have a cap, as the FA's statistician David Barber assured him when he asked. All caps and goals from that match stand, including David Kelly's.

Stuttgart88
18/08/2004, 3:59 PM
Agreed. Foleys was too close to the English pub too. Wall Street was where we watched most of the afternoon games. After our matches the small American style shot bars were great. Loud music and footy songs all night. The International Bar was pretty wild too.

The night of the Saudi game was special. Out there somewhere there's an Irish guy with a shaved head who videoed me and my mate headbanging to AC/DC in big afro wigs. I'd kill to get my hands on that video.

At about 4am I stood on the bar, got the bar to be quiet and announced to all & sundry that it was now 12th June and it was 14 years since Stuttgart. Cue a huge roar and 4 hours more drinking. I got a train to the airport at 8am and slept nearly all the way from Tokyo to Copenhagen. Great stuff, but remembering it all made me sick that we didn't make it to Portugal