PDA

View Full Version : eL MB to close

Macy
11/08/2004, 4:05 PM
Just thought I'd have a look before heading to the pub, and Johnny's posted the following...

This message board will shortly be closed due to inactivity. Thanks to everyone who made it what it was at its peak.
I guess without the website itself on board, the message board would eventually fall away. Foot.ie seems to be a better equipped forum in any case.
JW
PS Best of luck to Shels, what a night in store.

Ever the shels fan, eh Johnny? ;)

pete
11/08/2004, 4:08 PM
I think the pop ups may have helped kill it as the odd time i look there feckin tons of them :(

At least hes honest about $hel$ allegiences. ;)

seagullsnest
11/08/2004, 4:44 PM
It be very sad to see this message board go, to me it seems like there is alot of activity on the board!

eoinh
11/08/2004, 4:56 PM
Yeah i had the same problem at the end.

However at its height the site itself was brilliant and the debates legendary.

The way "Birth of A Nation" introduced films to a wide audience, JWs site did the same for EL fans. Maybe foot.ie is the equivalent of "The Jazz Singer" (not the neil diamond version).

eoinh
11/08/2004, 5:13 PM
And celebrated the Ku Klux Klan...

Well I suppose it did. Its still an interessting film though

Dodge
11/08/2004, 5:45 PM
Idon't know how many times some weirdo posted using my name
2,667 at last count on this board.

Never liked that board and thought Johnny Ward was a ****. Still do...

tiktok
11/08/2004, 6:04 PM
Never took to JW's board, disliked the layout, pop-ups and inability to register. Having said that it had people from all clubs posting, and in good numbers for a while.

Sad that any LoI source of info and debate would go to the wall due to inactivity though.

dortie
11/08/2004, 9:12 PM
As an 'old-timer' from JWs old EL forum Im sad to see it go, it really went from bad to worse once JW stopped the general EL site. I still use his 'Get the premiership out of Ireland' flag as my avatar on the DCFC forum.

The best laugh was on the old 'chatroom' were 8-10 of us would talk complete nonsense to one another every other night.

Where did Roverschick ever go too :D

pete
12/08/2004, 9:58 AM
However at its height the site itself was brilliant and the debates legendary...

Suppose it was the an eL first having General Message Board but not we all grown up & got "forums" ...

Macy
12/08/2004, 9:58 AM
Where did Roverschick ever go too :D
Disappeared into the ether with JC... :D

It was a great MB in it's time, but as other's have said once the main site closed then the MB went to shít...

wws
12/08/2004, 10:08 AM
its kinda wierd but one of the great things about that board was when some man united head or whatever would wander on and post a "this league is crap" thread - there'd be about 50 replies ripping the **** to shreds - seems appropriate now that shels are 90 minutes away from the group stages of the cl - an unthinkable thing to say only last year!

Macy
12/08/2004, 10:20 AM
its kinda wierd but one of the great things about that board was when some man united head or whatever would wander on and post a "this league is crap" thread - there'd be about 50 replies ripping the **** to shreds - seems appropriate now that shels are 90 minutes away from the group stages of the cl - an unthinkable thing to say only last year!
And sometimes the anonymous business could be used to a regular posters advantage, eh wws? :D

Mr_T
12/08/2004, 10:51 AM
rip EL message board.

it was sad to see it descend into a haunt for odd balls and **** takers.

it was a great site in its day, and brought a lot of el fans into communication for the first time.

I've met many fans of other clubs through the site, and I'd say many others have too.

Cheers JW.

TG

Pauro 76
12/08/2004, 12:10 PM
Yeah, that was the first message board id gotten into before the Longford Town one and foot.ie, great in its day but all things come to and end and all that...

WeAreRovers
12/08/2004, 12:13 PM
Used to be great but I stopped using it when some cnut kept posting my personal details on it. :(

Just had a look at it for nostalgic reasons and there's some sap on it having a go at my good buddie John Byrne. What a waste of time. RIP

KOH

CuanaD
12/08/2004, 8:00 PM
I used to love the website - JW had good editorials(?) also there was a link to the eLstatistics site - what ever happened to that?

daithi
12/08/2004, 11:30 PM
The pop-up's used to drive me mental, then the boss would walk in and i'd be there trying to close down 20 of them advertising god know's what.......