PDA

View Full Version : Elliot scores a Cracker!!

Beanie
11/08/2004, 8:30 AM
Elliot scored a real Gem for Sunderland last nite, he showed skill strength awareness and a great finish to slot in Sunderlands third... He looks like the real deal!

macdermesser
11/08/2004, 8:53 AM
read something about a mazy run too ...

see that Potter made an appearance for Liverpool last night .. wonder is that Darren Potter of the Irish U21s?

Bowsy
11/08/2004, 9:14 AM
According to reports Lawrence had a good game too. Can anyone explain how or if this lad qualifies for Ireland? Have liked what i've seen and he's only 22 i believe.
Looks like Benitez is giving youngsters a chance with Warnock coming on as well as Potter last night. Where's Partridge? Is he still injured?

Peadar
11/08/2004, 9:18 AM
Where's Partridge?

In a Pear Tree?

Seriously though, it does auger well for Ireland with all the young lads coming through. Liverpool were typically poor last night though.

wonder is that Darren Potter of the Irish U21s?
Darren Potter replaced Finnan with 15 minutes to go.

Bowsy
11/08/2004, 9:31 AM
In a Pear Tree?

Boom! Boom! :)

Liverpool match was dire viewing last night. Switched over to West Ham Vs Reading. Cracking game even though there wasn't a goal until the last 10 minutes.

Potter is a class act and will impress given the chance. Just hope Richie gets a shot at cracking into the first team too. He'll be 24 with no first team experience otherwise. A real waste of talent.

macdermesser
11/08/2004, 10:01 AM
think i read somewhere .. maybe even here .. that Potter is Steven Gerards first cousin, and could still play for England. Might be wrong on that though ..

tetsujin1979
11/08/2004, 10:05 AM
That's Anthony Gerrard, he's in the Everton youths.

from http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1166458&issue_id=10750

A first cousin of England midfielder Steven Gerrard flew out with the Noel O'Reilly's Ireland U-18 squad yesterday for the Viseu Tournament in Portugal. Anthony Gerrard, who is on Everton's books, is eligible for Ireland through his mother's family.

eirebhoy
11/08/2004, 10:15 AM
Great goal by Elliot. Did he start the match? I hope he establishes himself in the first team but the player in direct competition for his position also scored.

Peadar
11/08/2004, 10:19 AM
I hope he establishes himself in the first team

After Saturday's game, McCarthy said "Stephen did well for a young lad thrown into the first team. He was a pest and a threat and he'll score goals for us."

I'd say he'll get his chance to shine this season alright.

macdermesser
11/08/2004, 10:21 AM
That's Anthony Gerrard, he's in the Everton youths.

from http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1166458&issue_id=10750

A first cousin of England midfielder Steven Gerrard flew out with the Noel O'Reilly's Ireland U-18 squad yesterday for the Viseu Tournament in Portugal. Anthony Gerrard, who is on Everton's books, is eligible for Ireland through his mother's family.

Thanks for clearing that one up

macdermesser
11/08/2004, 10:29 AM
Actually .. he played for England schoolboys ...maybe that is where I mixed it up ..

Potter, a Republic of Ireland youth international, was welcomed into the Liverpool first team squad for the 2003/04 season.

The midfielder, who actually began his career with Everton, is a former England schoolboys skipper. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player?id=37425&cc=5739

Bowsy
11/08/2004, 10:33 AM
Actually .. he played for England schoolboys ...maybe that is where I mixed it up ..

Potter, a Republic of Ireland youth international, was welcomed into the Liverpool first team squad for the 2003/04 season.

The midfielder, who actually began his career with Everton, is a former England schoolboys skipper. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player?id=37425&cc=5739

Could be wrong but isn't the schoolboy system dictated by your schools region not your nationality, hence Giggs playing for England schoolboys. Potter is only 20 and made his decision very early.

tetsujin1979
11/08/2004, 10:35 AM
Could be wrong but isn't the schoolboy system dictated by your schools region not your nationality, hence Giggs playing for England schoolboys. Potter is only 20 and made his decision very early.

Think you're right there, McGeady was called up by Scotland schools, but I'm not sure if he ever actually played for them

Stuttgart88
11/08/2004, 11:01 AM
The reason McGeady declared for Ireland was because under Scottish regulations you can't play for a professional club and be selected for Scotland Schools. He obviously wouldn't leave Celtic so Ireland nipped in and selected him for their underage sides.

Something along those lines anyway.

Ryan Giggs was born in Wales, his mum is Welsh and his brother is called Rhodri. He went to school in England, hence his playing for England schools.

eirebhoy
11/08/2004, 11:39 AM
so just to clarify - this Potter lad at Liverpool is 100% ours???
Born in England but classes himself as Irish, so yes, he ours. :)

brine3
12/08/2004, 11:36 AM
We've so many young players now we don't know what to do with thiem.

The Italia '90 effect kicking in for sure.

Plastic Paddy
12/08/2004, 7:11 PM
We've so many young players now we don't know what to do with thiem.

The Italia '90 effect kicking in for sure.

Well, anything that increases the overall standard of the game and those playing it would be good.

Funny enough, in a similar way I think that if Shels can pull off the miracle we all want them to in a couple of weeks, a season in the Champions League will bring a longer-term attendance and overall financial boost to Irish clubs and the eL in general just like Italia 90 did for the game itself in Ireland.

We might even see some decent grounds then? ;) :p

:D PP