PDA

View Full Version : They're Back!

Peadar
10/08/2004, 2:54 PM
From BreakingNews.ie (http://breakingnews.ie/2004/08/10/story161011.html)
Eighties toy phenomenon the Cabbage Patch Kids are staging a comeback, it emerged today.

The manufacturer of the dolls is preparing the biggest relaunch since the toy’s heyday.

The first Cabbage Patch Kids went on sale in the US in 1983 and sold more than three million in the first 12 months. More than 20 million were snapped up the following year.

They came in a box containing an envelope with adoption papers featuring the doll’s “name” and “birth date”, as well as an adoption oath for the new owner to recite.

I remember there was nearly killings over them things.
Next thing we know My Little Pony will be making a comeback!

Macy
10/08/2004, 3:04 PM
I remember there was nearly killings over them things.
Next thing we know My Little Pony will be making a comeback!
Taking you back to your childhood Peader? More a Star Wars kid myself...

Peadar
10/08/2004, 3:10 PM
More a Star Wars kid myself...

Funny you should say that Macy because I was never a "Star Wars kid" myself. Anything to do with football and I was happy.
Those Annuals were the business.
With regard to toys, I suppose I was a Mechano man.
Dinkys were an old fav of mine too.

Macy
10/08/2004, 3:22 PM
Funny you should say that Macy because I was never a "Star Wars kid" myself. Anything to do with football and I was happy.
Those Annuals were the business.
Football was too obvious, shoot and match, the annuals for christmas and not forgetting the panini sticker albums.

Got any swaps - I'll give 5 Ricky Hills for that foil badge....

Peadar
10/08/2004, 3:28 PM
not forgetting the panini sticker albums.

Got any swaps

I remember going around with 4 Frank Stapletons in my pocket.
Dying to get rid of them because he'd moved to Man Yoo.
Didn't even know who they were at the time.

Remember "Soccer Shields"?
The were sweets like "love hearts" but they each had a team name and there was a club crest sticker under the wrapper.
I had a locker at home covered in them.
Kept getting Norwich and Watford.
Who the hell are they like!?!

tiktok
10/08/2004, 3:36 PM
Got any swaps - I'll give 5 Ricky Hills for that foil badge....

I remember having about eight Glenn Roeders when he was at Newcastle, I remember him specifically because on the sticker he looked the image of a neighbour at home, couldn't swap them and was too cheap to dump them.

btw, evidence the Scottish League was rubbish, two players per sticker :D :D

dahamsta
10/08/2004, 3:39 PM
I was a Garbage Pail Kid man meself.

Macy
10/08/2004, 3:40 PM
I remember having about eight Glenn Roeders when he was at Newcastle, I remember him specifically because on the sticker he looked the image of a neighbour at home, couldn't swap them and was too cheap to dump them.

One year Ricky Hill was in every packet, I'm convinced. And Gary Micklewhite, the ET necked freak!!!!

Proof that drink dulls your memory - there's no way I'd be able to go through all the those swaps and remember who I "need" and who I'd "got" these days......

Peadar
10/08/2004, 3:48 PM
Proof that drink dulls your memory - there's no way I'd be able to go through all the those swaps and remember who I "need" and who I'd "got" these days......

It was like a sixth sense. If there was one you needed being swapped somewhere in the playground you'd find it. Only problem was 10 other guys were also looking for it and you all had the same doubles. Liverpool stickers were hot property so I was usually able to sacrafice them since I didn't care if I had no Liverpool players. Terrible thing to feel such hate at such a young age :D

Pat O' Banton
10/08/2004, 3:48 PM
I remember having about eight Glenn Roeders when he was at Newcastle,

...and I thought it was just our school, I remember it seemed like every kid had at least twelve of him to swop.

I'll ignore the Scottish football comment :eek: :D

Anyone else remember desperately trying not to sound too desperate to get a sticker when you were swapping as you knew that you would get fleeced...

'got,got,got,got,got,got,got,got,got,got,got,neeee eeeeeeed... oh sh*te, any chance you'll take a few Glen Roeder's?!'

Troy.McClure
11/08/2004, 1:54 PM
'got,got,got,got,got,got,got,got,got,got,got,neeee eeeeeeed... oh sh*te, any chance you'll take a few Glen Roeder's?!'

LOL
Funny coz its true! :D

Red Seagull
11/08/2004, 2:03 PM
LOL
Funny coz its true! :D

i used to collect em too, n im a girl. i couldnt swap em in school unless i wanted a sheet of fancy paper for julian dicks. instead had all the little lads on my road knockin the door down lookin for swaps. ah, the good ol days... :D

Peadar
11/08/2004, 2:41 PM
i couldnt swap em in school unless i wanted a sheet of fancy paper for julian dicks.

Ah, fancy paper!
My mate used to collect that and fancy erasers.
He'd swap them with my sisters.
I'm sure he got done stroking some out of Roches.
Funny how I never copped anything strange about him.