PDA

View Full Version : Other league clubs you like.

Pages : [1] 2

sadloserkid
24/04/2012, 6:11 PM
I find myself wondering who the league's most popular 'second club' is. I think everybody has clubs that they have a good affinity for as well as those that they detest. For the good of the thread it may be for the best to focus on the positives here and try and avoid the old mudslinging we usually resort to. :)

In fact I'll list, in order now, my fav five (nod to Booker T) other clubs in order. If anybody else feels like adding we can award points (5 for the club in first through to 1 for the club in fifth) and total it at the end for a winner. Obviously, don't name your own club and keep it to current clubs!

slk's five favourite LOI clubs that are not Limerick

5th - UCD
Always empathised with them (no doubt in part because I was a student when I started following the league) and felt that they took a lot of undeserved flak on forums. Also admired the fact that they were one of the few clubs not to constantly seem on the brink of oblivion.

4th - Drogheda United
A harder one to justify in some ways, used to get on well with a few of their fans on here many moons ago and liked their league winning team a lot. Remember knocking them out of the cup fondly too.

3rd - Longford Town
I like the town itself a lot actually, like Flancare too (though it's seen better days). Nice fans and I think they were an easy club to like back in their days as cup heroes punching above their weight.

2nd - Sligo Rovers
Tend to play decent football. My first serious away trip (Glebe North away hardly counts), generally a good bunch as well and there's been enough traffic back and forth between us over the years as well to keep things interesting. A shared rival probably helped too.

1st - Finn Harps
A decent club in more or less all regards, nice fans both in the flesh and on the old interweb. The Mr.Men are missed! It probably helps that we've done well up there the last few years too (last lost there in 07).

Spudulika
24/04/2012, 7:54 PM
UCD - Alma mater, good times in the old Park (thanks to Budweiser before Ireland got PC)
Bohs - Kind of local team, friends followed them, knew many of the players and some current folks there.
Pats - Used to go the odd time as a friend played there. Always found the club decent.
Cork City (old/new) - Shared a train to Dublin with a dozen heads who made me forget my annoyance at the inferiority complex on frequent show from Corkonians. Like how they played football under Rico too.
Sligo Rovers - Always a good laugh at matches, friendly, ready to pay for a round and proper football fans.
Shamrock Rovers - They've stuck it out, kept it going and have put Irish football on the European map.
Drogheda United - Despite the rivalry, some sound fans, now have a proper club program and play some cracking football.

born2bwild
24/04/2012, 8:35 PM
Drogheda and Limerick

UCD - well, I spent years there but I just don't associate them with football

bennocelt
24/04/2012, 8:55 PM
From Mullingar, like to think of Longford as my "local" team, fellow boggers, but any chance I get to head home I always like to visit the Stadium of Light - love the atmosphere at St Pats. (plus nice Guinness up that way)

Nesta99
24/04/2012, 9:15 PM
As clubs:

Derry City
Athlone
Limerick
Cork
Pats

Believe it or not Drogs next as currently i like Mick Cooke, fans, club and town went that extra bit to save the club, and its always nice to look down on your local rivals ;p

Soft spot for a few past league members - Kildare for having a good go, Galway Utd for the hospitality, Drums, Home Farm for past contributions to the history of the league

bluewhitearmy
24/04/2012, 9:24 PM
Drogheda and Limerick

Why us?

for me its:

5th: Athlone just because they have Tommy Barrett and Robbie Kelleher.

4th: Drogheda because i enjoyed watching them in Europe had a lot of players i likes to watch and i enjoy watching them again now.

3rd: St Pats haven't a clue why just always kinda liked them.

2nd: Derry always liked to watch them some top class players have come from them always liked seeing their fans and the banner they had the time of the Barca fiasco really made me like their fans.

1st: Shamrock Rovers just think they are now what every LOI club should try to be there support is unbelievable if all clubs in the league had that it would be far better. Know a few people involved with them too and they are top lads...

SwanVsDalton
24/04/2012, 9:47 PM
Cork comes to mind. Think it's because we can both relate to long distances and the fans always vocal, passionate and invested.

Finn Harps too. Couldn't be doing without the rivals.

sullanefc
24/04/2012, 10:26 PM
Galway United

Lim till i die
24/04/2012, 11:44 PM
Dundalk - Proper football club, proper football town, best bar in the league.

Athlone - Effectively a retirement home for some of our more well liked players.

Sligo - Always liked the trip. I don't know why.

Harps - Haven't a clue really, just do.

Drogheda - I love their ground!

FWIW I think an other league clubs you dislike and why thread would probably have more legs. :p

Lim till i die
24/04/2012, 11:46 PM
3rd - Longford Town
I like the town itself a lot actually, like Flancare too (though it's seen better days).

Arguably one of the oddest things I've read on the internet. :eek:

White Horse
25/04/2012, 1:21 AM
Sligo - locals get behind their club and have created a really good club. It was great to see the way they outnumbered the Shams in the Aviva a couple of years ago despite the ground being in Dubin.

Finn Harps - screwed by the LOI over Derry's entry, but they still keep going.

Drogheda - the way they kept the club alive. I don't know how they did it. Fans are now getting their reward.

To be honest, most clubs (with one or two exceptions) have aspects I admire and respect. We're all trying to sail against the tide.

White Horse
25/04/2012, 1:25 AM

I like them. They're different. A game in UCD is like going to watch cricket.

I recall one game in Oriel Park when, after the latest scores in the other games were announced, two of their fans approached the stadium announcer to enquire what the score was at the Leinster game. The puzzled expression on the face of the stadium announcer said everything.

dfx-
25/04/2012, 1:43 AM
Finn Harps

UCD

Galway United

Waterford United

nigel-harps1954
25/04/2012, 2:13 AM
For me it's Shamrock Rovers who have built a club to be proud of from nothing, Galway United for no apparent reason or GUST now, Kilkenny City I liked mainly because I had a great time down there few years back (and the other half is from that area), and currently have taken a bit of a liking to St.Pats.

Will always love the Harps v Derry rivalry naturally, but until Harps become a Premier club again, this won't be a big game for a while.

dcfc_1928
25/04/2012, 6:38 AM
Has to be Harps. Though I've always had a soft spot for Cork and Dundalk.

Hibs4Ever
25/04/2012, 7:03 AM
Have always liked Bray and like to see them do well

L.T.F.C.
25/04/2012, 8:21 AM
3rd - Longford Town
I like the town itself a lot actually, like Flancare too (though it's seen better days). Nice fans and I think they were an easy club to like back in their days as cup heroes punching above their weight.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think is wrong with Flancare? Anything you'd improve?

sligoman
25/04/2012, 9:01 AM
There's really only one other club I'd say I like to see do well and that's Longford, maybe Bohs too I suppose but not to the same extent. Have no feelings for most other clubs and then dislike a select few and hate one :).

Sam_Heggy
25/04/2012, 9:15 AM
Hate the lot of ye.
When we become League Of Ireland overlords I'll like ye all but, until then, I will be holding onto my anger issues.

sadloserkid
25/04/2012, 9:15 AM
Arguably one of the oddest things I've read on the internet. :eek:

That I like the town or think the ground has seen better days? :)

Just out of curiosity, what do you think is wrong with Flancare? Anything you'd improve?

Just the far end really, the one that's unused now, it's a bit grim these days. It's an ideal LOI ground in most respects.

marinobohs
25/04/2012, 9:37 AM
Hmmmmmmm adulterous thoughts indeed, but my five* would be....

(1) Sligo Rovers - good town, decent fans, good football = great away trip

(2) Derry City - much the same as above (except fans a little more arrogant)

(3) UCD - as with others, "student" memories. preferred the old ground though personally

(4) St Pats - decent Dublin club. Antiquated ground, moany fans that like to nip out for half time pint (why was it stopped ?) but always up for a chat before/during/after game

(5) Cork City - real football trip, good town for a few pints.

*author reserves right to change depending on results involving Bohs :cool:

A face
25/04/2012, 10:44 AM
Derry City - Just a good solid, no messin' about proper honest to god football club, real club real fans. In all the trips up and their trips down i always found their fans to be brilliant.

Sligo Rovers - Because of the way they are playing the game right now. Also its a great away trip. My first away trip up there i think we beat them 5:1 or something and Patsy tried to score a screamer from inside our own half. It was a great trip and always enjoyed it since.

Galways United - For what they are going through at the moment but i always thought it had a good feel around the place. Plus its a great city to go out in.

Kilkenny City - Nice ground and like that away trip, great city as well. Great nights out there.

Cobh Ramblers - Local rivals so would like to see them come up and do well, but not against us.

Mr A
25/04/2012, 10:51 AM
Awww... **Group Hug** Actually kinda offended that so many people like us. Easy seeing we've been pish for quite a while now :)

Wouldn't put any order on these and this could change radically quite quickly.. I like Cobh because we had a great old race with them to get out of division one and it's a thoroughly strange wee town that's fun to visit. I know a lot of really good people involved with Galway United/ GUST but this can be a bit love/hate when we play them or are even in the same division as I'm married to a GU fan. Drogheda United because I really like United Park, Bohs because of Dalymount. UCD because they take a lot of crap but put most of the rest of us to shame in terms of how they're run. Shamrock Rovers because their fans helped out in such numbers during our financial crisis. St Pats because they were decent enough to lose a cup final to us and we had some great results against them at times. Plenty of others I have nothing particularly against.

Jeez, now that I think about it I am surprised how few clubs I actively dislike. That has the making of an EPIC thread though.

Hibs4Ever
25/04/2012, 12:17 PM
Derry City - Just a good solid, no messin' about proper honest to god football club

Derry City and "Honest football club" in the same sentence gave me a chuckle :D

A face
25/04/2012, 12:23 PM

Well, apart form that small little misdemeanor that we wont speak of ;) but aside from that .... you get the idea anyway ;)

dcfc_1928
25/04/2012, 12:32 PM
Beat me to it..... :)

horton
25/04/2012, 12:34 PM
Out of curiosity, does our drummers get on the nerves of many away fans? or is it a good thing?

marinobohs
25/04/2012, 12:41 PM
Out of curiosity, does our drummers get on the nerves of many away fans? or is it a good thing?

Think it was mentioned on previous thread as one of the things in LOI that should be banned :mad: along with Bohdrans, horns (South African or otherwise).......... and bloody jesters hats

Dodge
25/04/2012, 12:43 PM

Extremely annoying when you're beating Pats.

Don't mind otherwise ;)

L.T.F.C.
25/04/2012, 12:50 PM
When Derry were in Town, is used to be a bit constant and a break would have been welcomed. Especially in the stand, its echoed around the place!

Longfordian
25/04/2012, 1:02 PM
When combined with one chant over and over and over e.g. "Stephen Kenny's red and white army" non stop it gets a bit annoying. Especially as Dodge says if Derry happen to be winning.

nigel-harps1954
25/04/2012, 2:13 PM

Just the far end really, the one that's unused now, it's a bit grim these days. It's an ideal LOI ground in most respects.

Agreed, Flancare is a quality ground, but just looks a little run down at the minute.

DaveyPats
25/04/2012, 2:21 PM
Good thread.

Always liked Galway, lovely ground and a great city to stay in.

Lim till i die
25/04/2012, 3:58 PM

The town reminds me of Ennis.

Transported to the Midlands.

Making it some sort of 15th circle of hell.

PJ's is a decentish pub mind.

The ground is a metaphor for the league as a whole - Once fairly decent (though never what it could have been), now decaying, neglected, sparsely populated and out of the view of the vast majority of the population.

Battery Rover
25/04/2012, 4:10 PM
Sligo Rovers due to late family members supporting the club and their supporters.
Finn Harps due to good friendship between our club and theirs since we both entered League of Ireland in 1969.

ger121
25/04/2012, 4:32 PM
Would have a soft spot for Sligo and Cork. Two decent clubs with good support. Nice facilities, good away trips and both over the years have tried to place decent Football*

*I haven't seen much of Cork during there stay in Division 1, so they may have been playing hoofball

Jofspring
25/04/2012, 5:34 PM
Used to like cork when they were in the premier but went off them in the first division when I realised how much a big majority of their fans think they are better than everyone else and the fact the kept beating us at home. Coming around to them again this season tough :p

Always liked Dundalk for some reason, even though they were our bogey team for years there was still some big matches between us which were usually decent.

Cobh Ramblers: again we were on the end of beatings from them the majority of time but really liked it as an away trip.

Longford: A mate of mine was a passionate fan of theirs so kept a close eye on their results in the premier and enjoy the away trip since they have been in the first division.

Sligo: been a while since we have played them competitively but enjoy watching them on telly and they usually assemble decent teams.

Salthill is a decent club too in fairness and always welcoming in Drom.

outspoken
25/04/2012, 5:40 PM
Easy - Sligo simple as

sullanefc
25/04/2012, 5:49 PM
Used to like cork when they were in the premier but went off them in the first division when I realised how much a big majority of their fans think they are better than everyone else and the fact the kept beating us at home. Coming around to them again this season tough :p

Which we proved by coming first!!! ;)

wonder88
25/04/2012, 6:52 PM
In no particular order
Bohs - going back to the days of Philip Greene on the radio on sundays; Dalymount was only ground apart from Dundalk to have lights so they were always on RTE. they will always be there when I recall my childhood and soccer
Finn Harps - hard to explain
Sligo - spend some time up there and got to know and like the club. Nice area surrounding the town as well; Rosses PT, Strandhill, Mullaghmore. etc
UCD - like other preferred the old ground
St Patricks - have a jersey from their title wining team of early 90.s somewhere. long story how I got it
Their is no club I dislike but I not sure i like what Salthill D Galway are trying to do now.

L.T.F.C.
25/04/2012, 7:25 PM
The town reminds me of Ennis.

Transported to the Midlands.

Making it some sort of 15th circle of hell.

PJ's is a decentish pub mind.

The ground is a metaphor for the league as a whole - Once fairly decent (though never what it could have been), now decaying, neglected, sparsely populated and out of the view of the vast majority of the population.
You haven't seen it in a while so... I won't bother talking about Jackman.

Jofspring
25/04/2012, 7:56 PM
You haven't seen it in a while so... I won't bother talking about Jackman.

Why, have all the seats been fixed up and cleaned and that since last season?

Don't see what it has to do with Jackman.

horton
25/04/2012, 8:15 PM
. . . am I right in thinking nobody has said Shels, Monaghan or Wexford kiddies yet?

Longfordian
25/04/2012, 8:45 PM

A lot of them were tidied up a bit with a lick of paint recently enough, but the majority of the ground is so exposed to the elements it needs a fair bit of maintenance which costs money that we don't really have. The people involved are doing their best to make small improvements as they go along.

There were plans drawn up in the good times to do a lot of work but that would require grant aid firstly and then you have the fact that it's not too easy to raise large amounts of matching funds. Some day maybe.

L.T.F.C.
25/04/2012, 10:21 PM

It has nothing really, you're right!

Anyway, all the seats have been cleaned up, and netting up behind the goals to protect the seats and fans behind the goals. We have new underage dressing rooms, and extra referee dressing rooms. And we have more building coming up, either during the summer break or when the league is finished, and there is work constantly going on underneath the stand.
One thing I will say that is that far end of the seating does not look good at all. But we have no replacement seats so we'll take what we get!
I like the fact that your knees aren't on top of the person in front. You have a nice bit of space. And that there is a good slope too, so you don't have to look into the back of a lads head. To say it is decaying and neglected is just plain wrong.

Jofspring
25/04/2012, 10:27 PM
A lot of them were tidied up a bit with a lick of paint recently enough, but the majority of the ground is so exposed to the elements it needs a fair bit of maintenance which costs money that we don't really have. The people involved are doing their best to make small improvements as they go along.

There were plans drawn up in the good times to do a lot of work but that would require grant aid firstly and then you have the fact that it's not too easy to raise large amounts of matching funds. Some day maybe.

I agree it's probably next near impossible to keep up grounds like that. Tolka is in the same way and it's not really anyone's fault, fair play for Longford trying to keep the ground respectable.

I think what lim till i die was getting at was more that it's a metaphor for how the league is, everyone has the best intentions, things start out great but find it can be hard along the way to keep things going and sustain certain standards.

Jofspring
25/04/2012, 10:29 PM
It has nothing really, you're right!

Anyway, all the seats have been cleaned up, and netting up behind the goals to protect the seats and fans behind the goals. We have new underage dressing rooms, and extra referee dressing rooms. And we have more building coming up, either during the summer break or when the league is finished, and there is work constantly going on underneath the stand.
One thing I will say that is that far end of the seating does not look good at all. But we have no replacement seats so we'll take what we get!
I like the fact that your knees aren't on top of the person in front. You have a nice bit of space. And that there is a good slope too, so you don't have to look into the back of a lads head. To say it is decaying and neglected is just plain wrong.

Good to hear. Think everyone that visits flancare likes the ground.

thomas72
25/04/2012, 10:54 PM
Drogheda for me spent a lot of summers up there going up to family I seen Alan shearer first ever goal for blackburn they had some cracking friendlys villa, spurs, etc etc I always hope they do well.

sligoman
25/04/2012, 11:14 PM
We seem to be a team a lot of people like, I hope we do you proud now and go on to win the league for ye all ;)

Nesta99
25/04/2012, 11:35 PM
You sure that was Drogheda? Seriously i remember Shearer being one of the filthiest players i have ever seen pre-season. Im sure it wasnt in United Park?