PDA

View Full Version : TV 3 shamed into showing a live game

max power
09/08/2004, 11:00 PM
oh look rte show two games involving an el club and not tv 3 are suddenly showing a game, sad really :mad:

Pablo
09/08/2004, 11:04 PM
oh look rte show two games involving an el club and not tv 3 are suddenly showing a game, sad really :mad:

to be fair this game was announced weeks ago long before RTE showed any games

max power
09/08/2004, 11:11 PM
seen it coming then :D

rerun
10/08/2004, 7:50 AM
You just have to wonder though, why did they wait until the opening weekend
of the English Premiership?

drummerboy
10/08/2004, 8:43 AM
Can't believe the timing of the game at 5oc. It clashes with the Dublin v Kerry GAA match and I think there is a premiership game on as well at the same time. Surely they could have put it back to about 7. I'll still watch it though.

pete
10/08/2004, 9:25 AM
Yeah game scheduled at least a few weeks back.

Interesting to see last night TV3 talking up $hel$ in europe only then to annouce they showing ManU in direct competition to RTEs CL coverage from Lansdowne.

Shelsman
10/08/2004, 12:25 PM
Yeah. Pity about that, but the Shels 2nd Leg clashes with the Ireland vs Bulgaria match I think! ( on Sky )

Slash/ED
10/08/2004, 12:38 PM
It doesn't, next wednesday is the first leg, a week later is the Ireland match, a week after that is the second leg...I think...

City Hero
10/08/2004, 12:52 PM
Can't believe the timing of the game at 5oc. It clashes with the Dublin v Kerry GAA match and I think there is a premiership game on as well at the same time. Surely they could have put it back to about 7. I'll still watch it though.

The other options for this weekend are as follows;
Friday night - prime time tv viewing time
Saturday 3.00pm - premiership kicks off
Saturday 7.00 - 7.45pm - premiership highlights shows on various chanels
Sunday 3.00 pm - Cork V Wexford croke park

Ideally it should have stayed on Friday night, but then Shels would have had it re-arranged when they beat Split.

Bald Student
10/08/2004, 3:31 PM
I think thet the timing of the game couldn't be better. Cork and Shels both got a lot of publicity over the last month or so. Shels will have been watched on the telly twice in the preceeding week (and by 20,000 odd people in Landsdown).
All signs point to a big viewership figure for TV3 which hopefully won't go unnoticed either in TV3 or in Setanta.

P.S. With all this money can Shels now afford to pay for Alan Cawley?

monutdfc
10/08/2004, 3:40 PM
Agree with BS. TV3 are a commercial organisation. Unlike RTE who have a public service remit (ha ha), they can't be 'shamed' into things. Notwithstanding the competing events on TV (which willl surely affect the ratings), I think it's a great sign that TV3 think it commercially viable to show the league on TV.

Macy
10/08/2004, 3:42 PM
Agree with BS. TV3 are a commercial organisation. Unlike RTE who have a public service remit (ha ha), they can't be 'shamed' into things. Notwithstanding the competing events on TV (which willl surely affect the ratings), I think it's a great sign that TV3 think it commercially viable to show the league on TV.
Or it's actually part of their contract for the delayed international contract to show so many live matches a season!

tiktok
10/08/2004, 3:44 PM
Or it's actually part of their contract for the delayed international contract to show so many live matches a season!

it is, they have to show a whole TWO matches per season :rolleyes:

which they fulfilled last season by showing ones on the first and last weekends

liamon
10/08/2004, 3:50 PM
..which they fulfilled last season by showing ones on the first and last weekends

If I remember correctly, the opening match of last season was dire. Hopefully this game will be a more positive advert for the league.

monutdfc
10/08/2004, 4:19 PM

But did that clause still hold after the government scuppered the Sky deal?

Slash/ED
10/08/2004, 5:29 PM
But did that clause still hold after the government scuppered the Sky deal?

Yes, it did. It should still be a great game though, absolutley perfect timing with the way the league is looking and the runs Shels and Cork have had in Europe. It should get a decent audience on the TV I'd imagine.

ShelsTim
11/08/2004, 12:07 AM
They missed a big chance with the Shels-Bohs game that RTE showed, was a cracker and very important too. And wasn't this deal done after TV3 got the International games? Besides, its not like Sky were forced into showing a certain amount of EL games a season, or a highlights package. Can no one ever be happy when someone shows a bit of support for the league? Christ, imagine if EL teams got to the CL Quarters every year, what would yous all moan about?

liamon
11/08/2004, 8:10 AM
...Christ, imagine if EL teams got to the CL Quarters every year, what would yous all moan about?
The fact that RTE would still rather show MUFC/Chelski more often than $h€l$, CCFC or Bohs.

Macy
11/08/2004, 8:49 AM
Can no one ever be happy when someone shows a bit of support for the league?
I'll cerdit them if they show more than their contractual obligation.

max power
11/08/2004, 9:00 AM
i have avideo here of old irish soccer, before eircom were involved with rte showing highlights on a sunday nght and they were much better...

if people knew that there was an el game on, let say every monday night at 8 on setanta then maybe the audience would grow, couple that with a decent show, like the old soccer show and el might have a chance to grow

Macy
11/08/2004, 9:46 AM
couple that with a decent show, like the old soccer show and el might have a chance to grow
Never rated the soccer show tbh - too much non-eL in it.