PDA

View Full Version : World Snooker Championship 2012

culloty82
22/04/2012, 12:11 PM
It was an extremely high-quality opening day yesterday at the Crucible - Hendry rolling back the clock 20 years with a maximum break, Higgins squeezing past Liang Wenbo in the final frame, and Neil Robertson laying down a benchmark with three straight centuries. Irish involvement looks set to be short-lived, but I predict this year will see the new generation of players taking over, with Judd Trump and Ding Jung-hui the likely favourites at this early stage.

John Higgins 10-9 Liang Wenbo
Stephen Hendry vs Stuart Bingham
Graham Dott v Joe Perry
Stephen Maguire v Luca Brecel
Shaun Murphy v Jamie Jones
Stephen Lee v Andrew Higginson
Ali Carter v Mark Davis
Judd Trump v Dominic Dale

Mark Williams v Liu Chang
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Peter Ebdon
Martin Gould v David Gilbert
Neil Robertson v Ken Doherty
Ding Junhui v Ryan Day
Mark Allen v Cao Yupeng
Matthew Stevens v Marco Fu
Mark Selby v Barry Hawkins

CraftyToePoke
22/04/2012, 3:39 PM
Has the makings of a fine tournament this year, yes. Looking forward to it, might even be heading to Sheffield for a day next week if things works out.

Luca Brecel of Belgium is another youngster tipped to threaten the old guard in time, presently 6-3 down to Maguire but the youngest player to appear at the Crucible. Still 17.

bennocelt
22/04/2012, 8:02 PM
Reckon its quite open this year as there really isnt much quality out there at moment - wanted to back Ronnie at 7s but heart wasnt in it so went with Ebdon at 50/1 (if he gets past Ronnie that is!)

culloty82
26/04/2012, 4:21 PM
After the weekend, no standout matches, but Ebdon and Ding made early exits and the tournament looks wide open:

Higgins v Hendry
Perry v Maguire
Jones v Higginson
Carter v Trump
Williams/Liu v O'Sullivan
Gilbert v Robertson
Day v Cao
Stephens v Hawkins

bennocelt
26/04/2012, 4:28 PM
What you make off the push ball by the Chinese player against Allen? I reckon it was inconclusive, but sour grapes anyway on behalf of Allen

culloty82
28/04/2012, 1:04 PM
Can't say I noticed it in real time, but Allen was never on his game to begin with, so would have made no difference. Thought Saturday might have been just a blip by Higgins, but yesterday was his worst-ever display, losing 10 out of 11 frames against Hendry to go from 3-2 up to 12-4 down - as the commentators said, Hendry wasn't impressive himself, more Higgins was way out with easy pots. Maguire and Robertson looked impressive, but we'll wait to see which Ronnie shows up against Williams.

CraftyToePoke
03/05/2012, 1:05 AM
I managed to get to the Crucible last week for Ryan Days win over Ding from 9-6 down to 10-9. And in the afternoon saw a session of Williams Vs Cheung, had never been before but could not get over the atmosphere, even at that early stage of the tournament. As some one who has watched snooker on TV since Higgins win in '82 as a child, and Taylor three years later in the black ball final Vs Davis, it was great to finally see a game there, would really recommend a trip there to any TV fan or club player. It was scary how easy they make it look, Williams century in particular, he looked so casual while achieving standards I have spent twenty years never coming near to.

Hendry will be missed, I think also Carters comments on Trump were about right, he needs to respect the game a bit more and not just throw the cue at every half opening, low percentage red. Its the top match players have longevity, and are best to watch IMO.

bennocelt
03/05/2012, 5:42 AM
Just seen this the other day!
The one and only.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaaW9DhWBSo&feature=share

Cuyahoga
06/05/2012, 5:28 PM
That Ali Carter guy is such a bore, he is ruining the final, slow negative play, prompted by his mentor Peter Ebdon. Hopefully Ronnie dosent get dragged down by him and thrashes him instead.

Dunny
06/05/2012, 7:53 PM
7-5 so far

Hope Ronnie destroys him again.

culloty82
07/05/2012, 12:47 PM
10-7 ahead of today, should be fairly comfortable for Ronnie when he just needs to break even in each session. Neither player really hit fire last night, but O'Sullivan showed the best form with the centuries and that amazing 92 break from where the balls were positioned, so once he gets back to that form, it'll probably be an early finish tonight.

culloty82
07/05/2012, 8:42 PM
Carter made a spirited comeback just before the end of the afternoon session, but in general, he always needed two to three attempts to finish off a frame, which was never going to be enough against The Rocket. 18-11 was just about right, Ronnie getting roused on occasion to string three to four frames together, but unlike Higgins-Trump last year, it won't go down as a classic final.