PDA

View Full Version : Irish Drugs Cheat

pete
09/08/2004, 11:47 AM
Lombard admits taking EPO (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/3547670.stm)

Will he get better or worse reception for admitting cheating?

Peadar
09/08/2004, 11:56 AM
Lombard admits taking EPO (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/3547670.stm)

Will he get better or worse reception for admitting cheating?

The poor old Paddy had to take the DIY option when the super states have dedicated teams to ensure their drugs are well covered up.
Feel sorry for him really.
Just goes to show what a farce the Olympics is.
Panorama highlighted the corruption with regard to money for votes last week. Just read, to my delight, that Big Brother is over when it dawned on me that the drug fest starts on Friday.
Olympic Gold?
Fools Gold more like.

tiktok
09/08/2004, 12:28 PM
"I didn't set out to try and win medals or to make money. I just wanted to be as competitive as I could and have an equal chance with everyone else."

That about says it all really.
Read between the lines...
"I took them because at least then I'd be starting at the same level as all the others who are taking them and not getting caught."

There was an Olympics highlights show on the BBC over the weekend, They had the Soeul '88 100m final in it and went on about Ben Johnson the drugs cheat, with Carl Lewis adding his two cents.

Six of the eight that ran that race were subsequently caught taking drugs, including Lewis himself. It's a joke at this stage.

liamon
09/08/2004, 12:34 PM
Don't know how the rest of the world feels, but I've lost faith in the olympics. I can't see myself watching much of it on telly. What's the point in watching events where so many of the "athletes" are cheating? :(

This is just the beginning of the debacle. I expect many more drug cheats over the coming months. What's the point in watching this rubbish?

Unlike Peader, I don't feel sorry for him. He's disgraced himself and his country.

the 12 th man
09/08/2004, 12:37 PM
[I]"

Six of the eight that ran that race were subsequently caught taking drugs, including Lewis himself. It's a joke at this stage.

the really disturbing thing about that is that the american olympic federation
knew lewis was dirty but as he was the "lynch pin"of their athletics team
they turned a blind eye to a positive test he supplied at the us qualifiers for seoul-that is now fact.

Peadar
09/08/2004, 12:45 PM
He's disgraced himself and his country.

By showing that we're one of the few western countries who don't have a state funded drugs for "athletes" scheme?
After Michelle Smith I don't think I can feel shame where the olympic games are concerned.

Speaking of games, this is a must see for fans of BBC Wildlife shows.
They're world leaders in this I feel.

Animal Games
BBC ONE - Wed 11 Aug, 8:30 pm - 9:30 pm 60mins

"As the human world gathers to stage its greatest athletic contest, the Olympic Games, the animal world does the same, where they too compete for gold, silver and bronze.

Hosted by the Birds, the Games take place within a stadium, set deep inside a volcanic island. Animal competitors from the Mammals, Birds, Insects, Herptiles and the Fish nations are scaled to human size so everyone in on level pegging as they compete in the 100m, high jump, long jump, shooting, weight lifting and swimming.

All the tricks of multi-camera shooting, action replays and photo finishes are used to analyse each event. On screen BBC sport graphics impart facts and figures while commentators John Motson and Jonathan Pearce add to the excitement.

Compelling, entertaining and innovative television. The Animal Games redefines the possible."

Macy
09/08/2004, 12:55 PM
Not shocked, not disappointed and not at all suprised...

Disgraced the country? No, disgraced himself maybe. But would he have even qualified if he wasn't taking EPO?

Any sport that is purely down to physical fitness or endurance isn't "clean". More skillfull sports it may be less prevalent, but I really struggle to believe that any sport is 100% clean, including football.

pete
09/08/2004, 1:18 PM
More skillfull sports it may be less prevalent, but I really struggle to believe that any sport is 100% clean, including football.

Exactely! Hard to criticise the olympic sports so much when no one really knows how clean football is given almost zero testing involved. Sure the IOC had to threaten to dump football from the Olympics to maker FIFA agree to mandatory 2 year bans.

I think the creation of WADA is a big move forward although will continue to be the suspicion of undetectable drugs.

Gonna be harder to maintain interest in Olympics this year with almost no chance of irish medal...

Peadar
09/08/2004, 1:38 PM
Exactely! Hard to criticise the olympic sports so much when no one really knows how clean football is given almost zero testing involved.

I think football is in bigger danger from recreational drugs than performance enhancing drugs. Too much free time and people get bored.
If they invent a drug that makes you a skillfull player, I'll be off down to my GP for a perscription :D

Macy
09/08/2004, 1:39 PM
I think football is in bigger danger from recreational drugs than performance enhancing drugs. Too much free time and people get bored.
If they invent a drug that makes you a skillfull player, I'll be off down to my GP for a perscription :D
Plenty of drugs that would make you fitter/ stronger/ recover between games quicker/ recover from injury quicker etc... :( Could be the difference for a limited player. How many times do we here stuff about players having "good engines"...

Peadar
09/08/2004, 1:57 PM
How many times do we here stuff about players having "good engines"...

They've got a test for Nandrolone.
As for recovery, you can use loads legal products (http://www.musashi.ie/) which work very well.

the 12 th man
09/08/2004, 2:13 PM
Gonna be harder to maintain interest in Olympics this year with almost no chance of irish medal...

i think you might be forgetting about boxer andy lee who has a great chance of a medal.

pete
09/08/2004, 2:18 PM
i think you might be forgetting about boxer andy lee who has a great chance of a medal.

OK lets say almost no chance of gold medal then as think maybe few wins gets Olympoic boxing medal although competition would be top notch?

liamon
09/08/2004, 2:32 PM
By showing that we're one of the few western countries who don't have a state funded drugs for "athletes" scheme?....."[/i]
He disgraced us by cheating while representing us. I'm not calling for a witch hunt or anything, but I do think he let his country down. We expect our ambassadors (sporting and political) to conduct themselves with a certain level of decency. He didn't.

Peadar
09/08/2004, 2:43 PM
We expect our ambassadors (sporting and political) to conduct themselves with a certain level of decency. He didn't.

We also expect success from our atheletes do we not?
He felt that he could not compete, on a level playing field as it were, without taking drugs like the majority of his competitors.
It's an unfortunate situation to be in but I wouldn't say he shamed us any more than Colin Farrell with his wild displays.

the 12 th man
09/08/2004, 3:06 PM
OK lets say almost no chance of gold medal then as think maybe few wins gets Olympoic boxing medal although competition would be top notch?

i think he could win gold............watch this space.............he is top class :)

Macy
09/08/2004, 3:22 PM
It's an unfortunate situation to be in but I wouldn't say he shamed us any more than Colin Farrell with his wild displays.
And he probably took far less drugs than young Colin, if some of his (Farrell's) interviews are to be believed...

Ruairi
09/08/2004, 3:28 PM
not excusing lompard, but tobe fair he didn;t deny the charge, he came out straight away and admitted it, which surely is a first for an athlete using performance enhancing drugs

CuanaD
09/08/2004, 3:29 PM
He disgraced us by cheating while representing us. I'm not calling for a witch hunt or anything, but I do think he let his country down. We expect our ambassadors (sporting and political) to conduct themselves with a certain level of decency. He didn't.

Or did we (our country) let him dow by not providing state funded drugs facilities(like the superpowers of athletics) to mask the illegal drugs he should be taking to create a level playing field?
While this question is sarcastic/ironic it also has reality on its side - think.

pete
09/08/2004, 4:24 PM
not excusing lompard, but tobe fair he didn;t deny the charge, he came out straight away and admitted it, which surely is a first for an athlete using performance enhancing drugs

I think people caught with EPO tend to admit it (British cyclist Millar) as it doesn't seem like something that can be ingested accidently.

Ireland is a very small place & Lombard is gonna have a hard time slipping back into society unnoticed.

I'd guess that Lombard has received some sort of state assistance for his trainng & preparation for the Olympics? Could be case to suggest he be expected to repay those monies...?

Ruairi
09/08/2004, 4:25 PM
I'd guess that Lombard has received some sort of state assistance for his trainng & preparation for the Olympics? Could be case to suggest he be expected to repay those monies...?

He was allocated an Irish Sports Council elite athlete training grant..

liamon
09/08/2004, 4:48 PM
So now we're meant to feel sorry for someone who was caught cheating?
Someone who was setting a terrible example for young kids?
Oh, that's right, he had an excuse. ~ Everyone else was doing it, so.....
When I was growing up, my parents never accpeted that as an excuse. I don't see why I should now. And I don't see why anyone else on this message board can accept it.

Crucifixion!
Line on the left, one cross each.

Peadar
09/08/2004, 4:55 PM

You're right Liam, all the kids on my road are downing EPO like is was sherbet!
Here's a t-shirt (http://peoplesrepublicofcork.buy.ie/catalog/images/front/cogging_front.gif) to explain it all to you Liam.
That's what it's all about...

liamon
10/08/2004, 8:20 AM
C,mon Peader,
you know that kids will emulate their sporting idols. I don't expect 10 year olds to be pumping steroids, but I certainly do see the possibility of teenage athletes trying to source EPO, etc to try and match their "hero".

ccfcman
10/08/2004, 8:37 AM
epo is readil available and reasonably priced. check it out here (http://www.****edasafart.com/Horses/epo_for_sale.htm)

Macy
10/08/2004, 9:05 AM
So now we're meant to feel sorry for someone who was caught cheating?
Oh, that's right, he had an excuse. ~ Everyone else was doing it, so.....
When I was growing up, my parents never accpeted that as an excuse. I don't see why I should now. And I don't see why anyone else on this message board can accept it.

Crucifixion!
Line on the left, one cross each.
Don't necessarily feel sorry for him, but don't think he should be lambasted for it either. It's the nature of competitive sport.

Whats your feelings on Colin Farrell? As he pumps himself full of drink, drugs and smokes, and then boasts about in interviews (and appears on the late late in some state)...

My petest of pet hates is the "think of the children" arguement. :rolleyes:

Peadar
10/08/2004, 9:33 AM
to try and match their "hero".

At the risk of sounding foolish here, I'd never heard of this guy before.
Was he really a hero to anyone outside his immediate family?
I think coaches have more influence on atheletes than other atheletes.
I personally find it a bit odd the number who marry their coaches.
Michelle Smith, Sonia O'Sullivan, Paula Radcliffe...

max power
10/08/2004, 9:39 AM
should this thread not read, cork drugs cheat :confused:

Ruairi
10/08/2004, 9:40 AM
Cork not in ireland these days max?

liamon
10/08/2004, 12:25 PM
Don't necessarily feel sorry for him, but don't think he should be lambasted for it either. It's the nature of competitive sport.:
So it's ok then?

Whats your feelings on Colin Farrell? ...
He's a l@nger.

I give up.
Everyone, go pump yourselves ful of EPO, nandrolone, growth hormone, etc. If it makes you competitive, then it's ok.

Macy
10/08/2004, 1:15 PM
So it's ok then?

He's a l@nger.

I give up.
Everyone, go pump yourselves ful of EPO, nandrolone, growth hormone, etc. If it makes you competitive, then it's ok.
No it's not okay, but it's perfectly understandable if the vast majority of cheats get away with it, thus making clean athletes uncompetitive, that people get tempted. Some fall for that temptation, some don't, but it doesn't make those that fall for the temptation the anti-christ.

Peadar
10/08/2004, 1:26 PM

We've already done that. Why do you think we're so competitive in this discussion and able to beat you :D

wws
10/08/2004, 2:39 PM
The rebel army should be tested. If one Cork man can evade the authorities for so long theres bound to me more. How else can you explain O Flynns Blue boots??? Blue and Green should never be seen. The mans on drugs

Peadar
10/08/2004, 2:43 PM
If one Cork man can evade the authorities for so long theres bound to me more.

That's not strictly true.
The jackeens in customs grassed him up so technically he didn't "evade the authorities."

Taken from BreakingNews.ie (http://breakingnews.ie/2004/08/10/story161016.html)
Tip-offs from Irish Customs and the Irish Medicines Board may have alerted the Irish Sports Council to disgraced Cork athlete Cathal Lombard’s use of the performance-enhancing drug EPO.

It emerged today that both organisations may have passed on information to the Irish Sports Council (ISC) about a delivery that was made to the 28-year-old Cork runner.

liamon
10/08/2004, 2:55 PM
No it's not okay, ...
OK, that's all I wanted to hear. He was in the wrong.

[I] don't think he should be lambasted for it ...

So, you admit he was in the worng, but don't understand why I would criticise him? I'm just a poor simple country lad, but I think we've got a decent enough reason to criticise him.
I'm not calling for a public flogging or any such thing.

Macy
10/08/2004, 3:02 PM
So, you admit he was in the worng, but don't understand why I would criticise him? I'm just a poor simple country lad, but I think we've got a decent enough reason to criticise him.
I'm not calling for a public flogging or any such thing.
Public Flogging would be preferable to the "example"/"think of the children" arguement....

He's wrong, but how disgraceful his behaviour is is only relative to any misconceptions on how clean you think competitive sport is.

tiktok
10/08/2004, 3:31 PM
.....how disgraceful his behaviour is is only relative to any misconceptions on how clean you think competitive sport is....

Hardly an excuse Macy, flashback to 1982 and my mom bamboozling me with the comeback...
"...and i suppose if they all jumped off a cliff you'd want to do that too" ;)

I can understand the temptation he would have felt but the critiscism is fair.

Macy
10/08/2004, 3:33 PM
Hardly an excuse Macy, flashback to 1982 and my mom bamboozling me with the comeback...
"...and i suppose if they all jumped off a cliff you'd want to do that too" ;)

But I bet you fell for the "it's not the winning, it's the taking part" bullshít as well ;)

liamon
10/08/2004, 3:54 PM
But I bet you fell for the "it's not the winning, it's the taking part" bullshít as well ;)
Didn't the entire Ireland football squad, except for one heroic figure, fall for that in Saipan........can of worms!!!! :eek: :D