PDA

View Full Version : City's Chances

thecorner
08/08/2004, 1:35 AM
alright we have all had our say,now take a chance to look at things realistacilly(spell)

we lost to drogs...............we wont win every game left

we are 8 points off shels with a game in hand and play them twice

if things go our way that puts us a point ahead

if things dont go our way.................

there is over half a season left

if shels beat us......................SO WHAT

shels wont win every game they have left,they will also drop more points

this league is so inconsistent, that everybody is gonna take points off everyone.

every team is gonna drop points so lads while the points are there to be played for keep believing

DONT LOSE HEART

Fair_play_boy
08/08/2004, 8:11 AM
this league is so inconsistent, that everybody is gonna take points off everyone.
every team is gonna drop points so lads while the points are there to be played for keep believing
DONT LOSE HEART
There was a season in the English Premiership when Blackburn Rovers under Kevin "I'd Luv It" Keegan were so far ahead on points of their nearest rivals that, half way through the season, bookies stopped taking bets them to win the league. Then they lost a match that should have gone their way, and went on to lose the plot and the league, to Man U I think.
Cork City has everything to play for. It is by far the most interesting league campaign in the last few years, because so many clubs can still win it. When Shels come down after the European games, they will more than likely drop points, and not just to us.
This season is a long way from being over.

SSS
08/08/2004, 11:36 AM
It's easy to pick the occasional season when someone comes from way behind to win, but the more likely scenario IMO would be the otf-stated John Giles position, paraphrased: "if" doesn't come into it, you are where you are because you deserve to be and if you haven't won all your games up to now, why should you expect to win the remaining games.

As for "so what if Shels beat us" ...Here's what: we will have lost to Bohs, Drogs and Shels in quick succession. All rivals at the top. In between we'll have beaten a weakened Pats and a Waterford team missing half their first 11 (and who were subsequently beaten by Longford at home). Hardly title winning form (notwithstanding Dolan's comment on TV).
So I think we need to beat Shels. Now if we do, that could be the turning point in the season, with Dublin City to follow..We need back to backs to get a momentum going.

Pablo
08/08/2004, 1:08 PM
ok if we are talking realistically we have to win. full stop. in this 10 team premier in particular an 8 point gap is huge

its a massive game

DolansWaistcoat
08/08/2004, 4:53 PM
We need to win the shels game,full stop.If we can close the gap now while shels are distracted with Europe then I think it's there for the taking if Drogs let it be taken.Losing the game and being 11 points behind would be a disaster for us and though shels will probably go through 3 or 4 games of a slump after there 4 or hopefully more european games,they are the most consistent team in this league for the last season and half and they will recover.

thecorner
08/08/2004, 4:56 PM
fair enough it would be nice to beat shels but IF we dont,its not the end of our season

as i said,shels wont win every game they have left and there is a lot of points to play for

tiktok
08/08/2004, 6:43 PM
as i said,shels wont win every game they have left and there is a lot of points to play for

yeah, but we won't win all ours either, and we need to close the gap as soon and as quickly as we can, especially while they're still in europe (and hopefully distracted). I think Saturday has to be won, but we definitely can't afford to lose.

patsh
08/08/2004, 7:13 PM
I think we need to win this game, as much for psycological reasons as for points. A full Cross with loud support behind the team and due a win over $h£l$ is the best position for the mental attitude of the team. Another home defeat to them would be very damaging to team confidence and morale, and would put a total downer on the rest of the season.

Even if we don't win the league, we need to get second place so we can play in the UEFA cup and the Setanta cup, plus it will be another step forward from last year. This game has to be treated like the Nijmegen, Malmo and Nates home games. Forget everything else, just concentrate on winning this one game. It's going to be a dogfight with 2 from us, $h£l$, Drogs and Bohs, to win a lot more than normal this season.

I think $h£l$ will be very up for this game. Our first game after the highs of Europe was a complete downer against UCD in front of a small, quite crowd. The crowd and atmosphere could feel just as intense as it will in Landsdowne, and this will keep $h£l$ "up".
This day two weeks from now, we need to have 39 points on the board.

Gary
08/08/2004, 8:02 PM
A win in this game is so vital, and if we lose, winning the league will become an almost impossible task.

City can win this game. We have all seen how well City can play when it is needed from them. It will need strong performances everywhere on the pitch, and one goal will probably decide it.

That said, I reckon we will see a draw, which wont be the end of the world, or indeed, our season.

ollie
09/08/2004, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=Fair_play_boy]There was a season in the English Premiership when Blackburn Rovers under Kevin "I'd Luv It" Keegan were so far ahead on points of their nearest rivals that, half way through the season, bookies stopped taking bets them to win the league. Then they lost a match that should have gone their way, and went on to lose the plot and the league, to Man U I think.QUOTE]

he was in charge of newcastle at the time but that was so funny."i'd just luv it if we beat them,luv it"

Fair_play_boy
12/08/2004, 5:34 PM
he was in charge of newcastle at the time but that was so funny."i'd just luv it if we beat them,luv it"
Newcastle. Dammit. That is right. A further sign that the old brain needs a service. Must be catching that disease, you know the name of it . . . Dammit, can't remember that either!!!

GavinZac
12/08/2004, 7:11 PM
Newcastle. Dammit. That is right. A further sign that the old brain needs a service. Must be catching that disease, you know the name of it . . . Dammit, can't remember that either!!!

herpes?

ollie
12/08/2004, 10:22 PM

alsymers is the one you are thinking of i'd say

tiktok
13/08/2004, 7:38 AM
alsymers is the one you are thinking of i'd say

It's Alzheimer's
But I think it might have been a joke Ollie ;) :)