PDA

View Full Version : Ramblers 0 - Limerick 1

eddieohalloran
07/08/2004, 10:40 PM
What can I say about this game. Ramblers totally dominated the first half, putting together some great moves and in the process playing some of the best football i have seen this year in St Colmans Park. Only for the Limerick goalkeeper and the crossbar Ramblers could have been 4 up at the break. In the second half Ramblers defended against a strong wind but Kieran O'Reilly missed a one on one early on. To their credit Limerick took the game to Ramblers and played some decent stuff but found Peter Cuthbert in good form. Ramblers manager Dave Hill made two interesting changes, bringing himself on instead of James Cummins, who was playing really well and Chris O'Shea on instead of Robert Brosnan who also was playing well. Dave can consider himself lucky to have stayed on the field after being involved in an incident with ex Ram Thomas Hughes, who by the way made a meal of the situation, but the ref took a lenient view of the incident and no cards were brandished.

The goal came from a corner in the 86th minute and Ramblers conceded, from a tacticial point on view, one of the easiest goals scored in St Colmans Park this year. Question marks have to be asked about the positioning of players for corners from a defensive point of view.

Once again we only had four subs on the bench, I cannot understand this as some of our Under 21s are supposed to be up to the standard of League of Ireland Football but are not considered. Why is this??

Steve Yelverton played well at Left full but his presence in the opposing half was badly missed and as John Meade will not be available due to holidays for a couple of weeks and Terry White is only coming back from holidays would probably mean that he will stay in defence. One majotr positive aspect of this game was the performance of Darran Murphy in the centre of midfield, where he added some badly wanted steel and pace in that sector and was always a threat going forward. David Warran's absence was also a major factor, he is a class player and without him we lack the special talent that he provides when playing. C P O'Brien was class once again for Limerick and caused the ramblers trouble when on the ball. We must make a move for him for next season even if he has to become our highest earner. He is by far the best centre forward in the 1st Division.

Overall a disappointing night, a highly entertaining game but the wrong result.

Gary
07/08/2004, 10:49 PM
Delighted Limerick won, though they can count themselves very lucky. Their keeper was in fine form, making a few great saves. In actual fact, both Keepers had blinders, some fantastic goalkeeping on show tonight.

But, Eddie, the ref wasnt lenient with Hill & Hughes. He bottled it. Hill should have walked, but Hughes was already on a yellow, and probably deserved a booking for his reaction to Hill. It would have been very harsh to send him off.

What a goal the winner was, though the Cobh defence was fast asleep.

Overall, i felt it was a dissapointing game, it certainly didnt have the fire Cobh/Lims normally has. Pitiful crowd. If there were 200, it was as many :(

thecorner
08/08/2004, 2:44 AM
He bottled it. Hill should have walked,

again :eek: :eek: :eek:

cobhrambler 16
08/08/2004, 11:43 PM
as much as i'd like to see o'brien with cobh i doubt it'll happen.

Rams-fan
09/08/2004, 5:17 PM
Disappointing game in the scoring front. I thought we were the better team and should have scored. LFC keeper played a blinder and in the end it was going to go down to the team that kept it together for the ninety mins. :ball:

On the plus as Eddie said, Darren Murphy in the centre of the park played well and with a little more experience could capitalise. :)

Any truth in the rurmour John Andrews is leaving?? :confused:

bren
09/08/2004, 6:08 PM
Eddie ,nearly allways do i concur with what you have to say and you are mostly proven right .As regards your thoughts on Steve Yelverton i totally disagree .
Your right in what you say about him last Sat. n ight--his defending was excellent .But to say his presence was missed in the other half is just not true .I think Dave Hill will be delighted with the current situation that prevails that must keep him defending .His preformances on the wing part. his workrate has left a lot to be desired in recent weeks . In fact the only time he upped his game was against the Roy Keanes .In fact he has been the weak link . Far from his great season last year .Hes been doing no defending what so ever and what ever wing he plays on he is leaving exposed .His wing play is just not up to scratch .Maby he might be tried in the middle were God knows we need someone with a bit of creativity .I am not knocking him but he needs to up his game considerably .Only that he was Captain he would have been dropped .
By the way for the life of me i can not understand why the two boys that came off the other night were subbed .On another note i thought Eoin LOUGHEED did well and with another game underneath his belt i would shove him in against Athlone
And i think part of the problem below is that Dave Hill hates to make unpopular decisions and drop thoese hes friendly with or ones that might be regarded as prima donnas
pele

Bonnie
09/08/2004, 6:54 PM
Heard from a very reliable source that John Andrews has been offered a scholarship in the US and is supposed to be going this week.Nice of him to up and leave mid season,heard he only informed the club last week.

ramblers
09/08/2004, 8:16 PM
John Andrew leaves for the USA on Wedensday he only found out last week and It was to good on offer to miss.

I for one wish him all the best and I hope he does well over there.

ramblers
09/08/2004, 8:21 PM
Just on the so called tackle.

Dave hill won the ball when he went in for the first tackle then Thomas hughes pushed hilly first and then hughes proceed to go for the Oscar performance of the season.

The ref made the right desision as for as I saw it.

If he did send hilly off he would have had to send hughes off as well.

As for the U21 team players sitting on the bench Eddie I have seen them play a few times this season and they have far from impressed more like depressed.I have not seen anyone that has stood out from the group.

bren
09/08/2004, 10:28 PM
wish all the best to John Andrews --and playing so well at the moment ---we are going to miss him very much --and a very nice guy to booth --met him a few times and he was a great insperation to all the rest of the players ---hope its not true but heard a very reliable word that Cork City are in for one of our few star playerrs
But for now --well done John ANDREWS -THANK YOU FOR THE TIME WELL SPENT AND BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR STUDIES AND YOUR SOCCER IN the USA
pele

eddieohalloran
10/08/2004, 9:56 AM
I take your point about Thomas Hughes, he made a meal of it and also was involved in the handbags. But Dave Hill should have gone as he definately butted him. The ref bottled it, 2 red cards was the right option but he hadn't the courage to do it. I bet the referees assessor at the game, Mr Brian O'Regan had a word about it with him afterwards.

With regard to the Under 21 players, I said in my comment that they are "supposed" to be good enough for the 1st team, this is a direct quote from the manager when asked that by a number of us last week about the under 21 side. In my opinion any player playing for the Under 21s must be a potential League of Ireland player and be ready to make the step up. Unfortunately you are right to say that they depressed you rather than impressed you, I also have seen them and I have no doubt that Springfield Under 16 Team from last season would beat them easily. I know that the club is now after appointing a new youth team manager and I am sure he will be able to develope the local talent, of which there are many potential LOI players. From a club point of view there has been too many matches this season where there was only four subs on the bench instead of five and more importantly there is no sub goalkeeper, this is unthinkable for a League of Ireland Club.

Finally on a completely different point I am sad to see John Andrews leave the club. During his time here he has given 100% in every game, he is a very good player, a good organiser and he will be a huge loss to the club. I would like to wish him well in his new career in the states.

steven17
12/08/2004, 1:21 PM
hey steven andrews here, just wanna say after reading the posts thanks to all the rams fans that have wished the bro well.what ever about cobh missing him i think he`ll miss cobh just as much.hilly all the fans and anyone else whos involved with the club through the forum.on jons b1/2 thanks.

if anyones interested you can keep up to date with how hes doing at www.martinmethodist.edu
slan see ye saturday when WE stuff sligo.

sligofan
13/08/2004, 10:21 AM
cobh lost to limerick....!!!!

we can beat ye then!