PDA

View Full Version : Setanta to start covering the EL?

Slash/ED
07/08/2004, 9:20 PM
Read this report on the Setanta cup and I found the bit in bold very interesting...

FAI tune in for new deal with Setanta

THE FAI is hoping to further strengthen its relationship with Setanta Sports following yesterday's announcement of a four-year deal with the new Irish sports channel for a competition between teams from both sides of the border.

The association are currently negotiating an agreement which could see Setanta covering up to 10 Eircom League matches 'live' every season, and they are also hoping to develop a range of promotional programmes, like the now defunct 'Soccer Show,' for broadcast on the station.

There was much back-slapping in Dublin's Fitzwilliam Hotel when representatives of the FAI and IFA gathered for the announcement of the new tournament which will give the game on both sides of the border a massive cash injection.

Setanta will provide €1.6m in sponsorship over a four-year period, with £1.3m of it to be used as prize money and the rest for marketing.

The Setanta Cup will feature the champions and runners-up from the premier division north and south of the border, plus the respective cup winners.

The long-term plan is to extend the competition to Wales and Scotland, so that it becomes a football version of rugby's Celtic League.

The tournament will consist of two three-team groups, which will be mixed, with the winners of each group advancing to the final. Setanta will have 13 cameras at each game and have committed themselves to broadcasting 10 of the 13 games 'live'.

By the time it commences, Setanta reckon that their channel will be available in almost 750,000 homes throughout the island on the NTL, Sky and Chorus platforms.

While it will mean more games for the participating teams, Shelbourne manager Pat Fenlon believes that the Setanta Cup would be a tremendous addition to the football calendar. "It sounds like it will be a great tournament and I think everybody on both sides of the border will embrace it," he said.

The Setanta Cup will be the sixth all-Ireland football competition since the two associations went their separate ways in 1921 and the first since the demise of the Tyler Cup in 1981.

Setanta start broadcasting this weekend when they will show Aberdeen v Rangers and Celtic v Motherwell. They will show eight Scottish and English games 'live' over the next three weeks.

Gerry McDermott

Sounds like excellent news, 10 league matches a season and proper programmes covering the league beyond that. I really hope the FAI and Setanta manage to seal the deal hopefully in time for next season.

Also of interest is the long term plan for the Setanta cup is to include Welsh and Scottish teams. Presumebley the Scottish teams wouldn't include the Old Firm, but that still sounds like it could be a nice addition to the cup in the long run.

Maynard
08/08/2004, 6:24 PM
Hmmm "up to 10" EL matches a year...wow that's almost one a month. :rolleyes:
It's better than nothing I suppose. But considering they're showing the Ranger Aberdeen (0-0) 3 times in the one day and ditto the Celtic game, 10 games a year is hardly a leap of faith.
Personally I don't see what the problem would be in showing one live game every two weeks, it still allows for a certain amount of cherry picking and represents consistent coverage.
Still here's hoping it improves the general coverage of the League.

Bald Student
09/08/2004, 10:59 AM
I like the talk of 13 cameras. 12 more than TV3 use.

max power
09/08/2004, 11:15 AM
where in the name of jebus would ya put 13 cameras at the average el game, you'd have to watch it it on cause you wouldn't see the game with all the cameras in the way :eek:

Macy
09/08/2004, 11:24 AM
where in the name of jebus would ya put 13 cameras at the average el game, you'd have to watch it it on cause you wouldn't see the game with all the cameras in the way :eek:
I'd rather one (decent) camera at all eL games....

max power
09/08/2004, 11:24 AM
agreed :eek:

pete
09/08/2004, 11:37 AM
Am i right in thinking what Setanta currentl;y showing is free to us in Ireland but pay per view in the UK?

Had a glance at over the weekend & thought Setanta coverage very professional pre, during & post game.

If could get 10 eL games done at such professional level the eL/FAI should jump at it.

btw yesterday they showed goals from non Rangers-Celtic games & did really look eL level.

max power
09/08/2004, 11:45 AM
btw yesterday they showed goals from non Rangers-Celtic games & did really look eL level.

thought the same myself

eirebhoy
09/08/2004, 11:52 AM
I have watched dozen's of Scottish matches without the Old Firm and the standard is a lot higher than the EL. The SPL really is underrated, don't judge it by what you read or by a few highlights. Look at how much Alan Moore stands out at Shels, a player of his standard would just be an average SPL player. Henrik Larsson scored 30 SPL goals last season, Henry scored 30 Premiership goals last season. While I would admit that Henry is a better player, there isn't that much between them. Larsson has scored more European goals than any other currently active player in the world (45 in 75 AFAIK).

Flynninio
10/08/2004, 9:57 AM
city,shells and bohs would hold there own in scottish league belive me.i have followed it for yrs.imagine the revenue we would get from the big old firm games.look at there results in europe other than the old firm.i know we only improving now last few yrs but thats the proffesionalim coming into play.i know bohs were **** in europe this yr but that just a hiccup they have done well last few yrs............

eirebhoy
10/08/2004, 11:06 AM
look at there results in europe other than the old firm.
Dundee beat Vllaznia 6-0 on aggregate last year in the UEFA cup, I doubt an Irish team would win by such a margin. They were knocked out 3-1 on agg by Perugia in the next round. Hearts beat Zeljeznicar 2-0 but were beaten 2-1 on agg by eventual quarter finalists Bordeaux (Hearts beat them 1-0 at home).

2002 - Livingston beat Vaduz (Livingston beat Graz at home but lost on agg), Aberdeen beat Nistru (Aberdeen knocked out in the next round by Hertha 1-0).
Rovers and Dundalk both heavily defeated.

2001 - Kilmarnock bt Glenavon (knocked out in next round), Longford and Shels both defeated.

Scottish teams have got passed the qualifying stage of the UEFA cup as far back as I checked. The Scottish league actually have some full time teams in the 3rd division. They are certainly a higher standard than the LOI and extremely underrated.

I would absolutely love if we had a high standard league but we have to be realistic. I am a Celtic fan which is why I hate seen the SPL underrated. BTW, if this was a Scottish forum and they were slating the LOI I would be defending it as much as I could.

Macy
10/08/2004, 11:27 AM
Am i right in thinking what Setanta currentl;y showing is free to us in Ireland but pay per view in the UK?
Setanta is free on NTL (Analogue and Digital). Chorus is still undecided, but looks like being free on Chorus Digital. Sky not announced yet, but looking like €10 a month, unless Sky do a deal.

pete
10/08/2004, 11:47 AM
Setanta is free on NTL (Analogue and Digital).

Unless Setanta start getting some commercials then ain'yt gonna be free for long. I suppose they more likely to get commercials once they start doing full & day a week schedule...

Macy
10/08/2004, 12:09 PM
Unless Setanta start getting some commercials then ain'yt gonna be free for long. I suppose they more likely to get commercials once they start doing full & day a week schedule...
Well I'd say NTL are paying the subscription at a reduced rate - good business for both sides, certainly gives NTL a further advantage (ITV, CH4)over Sky.

Enda M
10/08/2004, 12:16 PM
where do you get you get setatanta cause we are in much need of some television coverage.

tiktok
10/08/2004, 12:33 PM
setatanta cause

HoHoHo :D :D :D

niamh
11/08/2004, 3:30 PM
Setanta are repeating the Rangers match because the station is not fully up and running until January. I think the company showing the eL is a step forward and there is no reason it cannot be expanded in the future if they get the viewers.
10 live games a season is more than we get now between the two other channels. Competition forces people to raise their game.