PDA

View Full Version : Coventry - Sunderland

Condex
07/08/2004, 7:13 PM
Just after watching the match it was pretty poor, but its the first match of the season

Ratings for Irish players (who might play for the senior team in the next season)

Sunderland
Breen 6 - Looks calm but makes too many unforced errors
Elliott 4 - Very poor substuted on 53m was in Shaws pocket, hardly the answer to Irelands striking problems

Coverntry
Doyle 5 - Just ok
Barrett 7 - The one player that looks to have a bit of class

eirebhoy
07/08/2004, 8:40 PM
I asked on this forum a while back if Elliot would be a good partner for Robbie and I was told he'd be ideal. My arse. Robbie needs to play with an out and out striker like Alan Lee (although he doesn't seem to be up to international level), Elliot looks smaller than Keane and often wandered into midfield.

He looks a good prospect though, very quick and did OK for his first senior start at a competitive level. He was certainly better tonight than his strike partner, Stewart, although I stopped watching the game as soon as Elliot went off.

thecorner
08/08/2004, 1:42 AM
Great To See Mccarthy Get Off To A Great Start :D :D :D :D

only1kilbane
08/08/2004, 9:32 AM
As a Sunderland fan very dissapointed with yday had high hopes. Going to Plymouth in 2wks to see them so they better improve by then. Generally they are slow starters so not too worried. Thought Elliott looked lively but needs a big man alongside him if him and kyle get a partnership going would be good. Breen was very consistent again and thought Barrett looked very good for coventry. Pity not to see Sean Thornton out he really doesnt figure in Micks Plans

Beavis
08/08/2004, 9:42 PM
Alan Lee (although he doesn't seem to be up to international level),
I think he could make a good partenership with Robbie in the future.Played well in the Unity Cup,although he was poor in Poland,I would like to see a bit more of him.

Bowsy
09/08/2004, 9:00 AM
thought Elliott looked poor and Kyle made a looked a lot more dangerous when he came on. Can't really judge him on one game though. Why do people think Robbie can only play with a big target man? Seems to link up well enough with Defoe and Kanoute and neither are a target man. A new Quinner would be nice but not the be all and end all. Elliott has a reputation as a natural goal poacher. This is something Robbie is not.
Barrett looked good although his final ball and strength could use some work. Doyle did his job well. Liked what little i saw of Liam Lawrence.

Bowsy
09/08/2004, 9:05 AM
Great To See Mccarthy Get Off To A Great Start :D :D :D :D

Happy when McCarthy fails? Why? No don't bother answering that. Personally would like to see the team with the highest Irish representation in England play in the top flight. Strange i know.

eirebhoy
09/08/2004, 11:41 AM
Why do people think Robbie can only play with a big target man?
Put it this way, Ireland need someone who can actually head a ball. Duffer's crosses are going to waste. The best header would have to be Kevin Kilbane and Roy in at second.

Bowsy
09/08/2004, 11:58 AM
Put it this way, Ireland need someone who can actually head a ball. Duffer's crosses are going to waste. The best header would have to be Kevin Kilbane and Roy in at second.

Ireland need someone who can score goals and link up well with Keane, not neccessarily a big man. If someone like Elliott emerges as the natural goalscorer he shows promise to be then he'll be far more influential than some lad who can win a few headers. Someone like Richie Sadlier would have been ideal but a big man isn't the only option with Robbie.

Ozymandias
09/08/2004, 3:47 PM
and here we are first day of the new season and the same old faces dig up the same old chestnut .....get a life lads..move on...everyone else has
this thread was titled coventry-sunderl;ad or something to that efffect wasn't it......hmmmm