PDA

View Full Version : Shels finally knocked off the top

eirebhoy
06/08/2004, 9:11 PM
Drogs beat Rovers 3-0 tonight to move to the top of the table but Shels have 2 matches in hand. As you seen with Cork, Shels could go on a dip in form after all the Euro matches. I really don't know who I want to win the league this year. Shels will strenghten their team for next season so will have a better chance of going far in Europe next season but if they win it this year I think they'll win it for the next few years with the players they'll attract.

Anyway, good to see there not a permanent fixture on the top spot just yet.:)

thecorner
06/08/2004, 10:19 PM
only on goal difference

shouldnt you be more worried about your 3-0 home defeat

:D :D :D :D

brendy_éire
06/08/2004, 10:59 PM
Drogs are on some roll. 7 goals in the last 2 games. Fair play, just hoping someone beats Shels to the title this year.
Waterford seem to be continuing their freefall. Longford winning isn't great for us, but Pats losing 3-0 is encouraging.
Big gap back to HF, can't see them getting out of it at this stage.

thecorner
06/08/2004, 11:17 PM
Drogs are on some roll. 7 goals in the last 2 games.

2 against city and 3 against rovers =5 :confused: :confused:

Dr.Nightdub
07/08/2004, 3:07 AM
I think Brendy was remembering the pain of Drogs tanking Derry 4-0 last week.

Makes you wonder:
- we beat Drogs 2-0 up there a few weeks ago
- they beat Cork 2-0 up there last weekend
- Cork beat us 3-0 in Richmond tonight

Logic? Me árse.

dortie
07/08/2004, 10:56 AM
This league has to be the most inconsistant in Europe. I very rarely bet on games in the EL.

Dublin City beating Bohs 4-2 in Dalymount springs to mind.

brendy_éire
07/08/2004, 7:05 PM
I think Brendy was remembering the pain of Drogs tanking Derry 4-0 last week.

Yep, forgot about their Cork match. I seem to be forgetting days all over the place this summer. :confused:

Spot on about the inconsistancy. Shels seem to be the only team who can keep a run going. That's the nature of a 10 team league, I suppose.

Coltron
07/08/2004, 8:30 PM
Ive been saying were gonna win it for awhile now. As for not betting on the league try backing us at 66/1 ew, 40/1, 33/1 and 5/1 to win the league. Try backing us for about the last of our five wins. Some people just dont have what it takes to make money gambling dont blame it on the league. A inconsistent league is almost better, as when a team is overpriced ie Longford lastnight (4.5) you back them because it can be so tight.

Drogheda for Europe!

ShelsTim
07/08/2004, 10:02 PM
Drogheda'll never win. I'm not saying it'll be Shels, Cork could easily snatch it, hell, Bohs might even get a run when they get a new manager, but after last season and only 2 defeats this season, you gotta say, it's looking like a Red Christmas.

Cosmo
09/08/2004, 12:24 PM
'Drogheda'll never win. '

Typical statement to make. Doolo was on newstalk 106 on saturday explaining how he thought we havent got the credit we deserve and he's right.

We're top of the table on merit and we've been playing some really attractive football while at at the same time winning matches.

Not getting away with myself as mid table is still a successful season for us but if we keep Danny O'Connor and Stephen Gray fit we have a great chance to nick it (we're covered everywhere else).

I know alot of cork supporters reckon we've a great chance from talking to some after the match last monday.

Fridays match will tell alot - if we beat bohs on friday we should win 3 of our next 4 matches and hopefully nick a point in cork.

Give credit where its due. We're in with a real shout provided shels slip up!!

Pablo
09/08/2004, 2:15 PM
keep it warm for us Drogs and you can have the inter toto cup slot free

Macy
09/08/2004, 2:20 PM
Give credit where its due. We're in with a real shout provided shels slip up!!
Anyone who's suprised obviously never considered how much you're spending on players this season. One of the Top 4 playing budgets should get a top 4 finish - don't make out it's some amazing success...

Cosmo
09/08/2004, 2:31 PM
Full time football is paying off alright - just like its is for shels, cork and bohs. Not making out its a major success. Just stating that im finding it hard to understand why we're dismissed so easily as not having a chance of winning the league.

paudie
09/08/2004, 3:50 PM
What crowd did ye have for the Rovers game?

Cosmo
09/08/2004, 4:26 PM
dont know what the official attendance was but it was one of the best of the season. Rovers brought a poor enough crowd by their usual standards - wouldve been a good away crowd for any other team but rovers usally bring a bit more up

pete
09/08/2004, 4:28 PM
Do Drogs have the club infrastructure to support the current fulltime team or can they progress with 100% fulltime squad?

I'm thinking Drogs are being funded by Directors donations?

Cosmo
09/08/2004, 5:56 PM
Well i think its common knowledge that we're being partly funded by 2 main moneymen who have given doolo everything hes asked for be it new players, proper training facilities (probably the best in the league), etc.

But you'd have to think that our gate receipts have increased considerably with the price increase (which i was and still am against when it comes to families as there are no family prices would you believe!!) and increased attendances.

Good fundraisers on the go just started up aswel with bingo earning a couple of grand week for the club.

also remember we have no sponsor this season so that should be an extra 100K for the club next season.

I reckon (well i hope) that if the moneymen decided to stop putting in their money next season we will by then have the proper structures to cover the shortfall.

(but remember 250,000e of their own money went solely into clearing debts from the previous regime, so after putiing in all that to clear up the mess and then having to invest more to help the club sustain a full time set up im sure they dont want to fcuk it up and have to clear up the mess agin!!!!)

I had concerns up til a couple of weeks ago but finally it looks like we will have the structures fully in place by next season if the moneymen decide to stop investing!!