PDA

View Full Version : Athlone

ForzaForth
06/04/2012, 9:11 PM
In a tight match in which chances were always going to be at a premium due to the nature of the pitch, Wexford took theirs courtesy of Danny Furlong and came away with the three points in Athlone tonight. Wexford made one change from the team which started against Mervue with Craig starting and began with Graham, Brian, CJ, Jamie, Jimmy, Aidan, Shane D., Craig, Deano and Danny and Tom up front. Wexford slightly shaded the first half in terms of chances created and after five, the useful Deano put in a cross from the left which the Athlone defender clipped off his own post for a corner. After fifteen,Aidan broke free down the right but Tom couldn't control the cross. Just before the half-hour, Shane D. clipped a free-kick over the wall but it went just wide. After thirty five, Wexford picked up a yellow for a tackle. With seven to go, Tom had the ball in the net but it was ruled out for offside. Athlone then had two half-chances right at the end when their nine ran into the box in the clear but he couldn't stretch to keep the ball in play and this was followed by a free-kick by Athlone which was cleared for 0-0 at half-time. Overall, a very bouncy pitch had meant lots of head tennis between both sides during the first half and few clearcut chances.

ForzaForth
06/04/2012, 9:19 PM
Perhaps due to the mist which rolled in at half-time and dampened the pitch somewhat, the second half was a better affair with both sides being able to create more. After five, Tom ran free down the left but had his shot saved by the Athlone keeper. Athlone then picked up a yellow for a tackle. With an hour gone, Brian McCarthy couldn't deal with a long ball and Danny latched onto it, did a shimmy to fix the Athlone keeper and pushed it low right into the net for 1-0 to the Youths. Five later,Graham was called into action for the first time when he pushed away a shot for a corner. With fifteen to go, a free-kick into the Athlone box by Wexford fell to Danny whose first-time volley clipped the outside of the post. Athlone rallied right at the end and with five to go an Athlone forward just couldn't reach a cross. A minute later, Athlone's great chance to equalise came when a shot from twenty-five out cannoned off the cross-bar with Graham beaten and the rebound fell to an Athlone forward who could only put it into the side-netting.

ForzaForth
06/04/2012, 9:23 PM
With three to go, Shane Nolan came on for Danny and the three minutes of injury-time finished up without alarms for Wexford to finish up 1-0 winners at full-time. Best for Wexford were the strong back four of Brian, CJ, Jamie and Jimmy who coughed up very little while I thought the Youths team generally were first to the ball round the pitch. One goal settled it at the end with good support from Wexford.

cornflakes
07/04/2012, 9:28 AM
3 wins on the bounce with 3 clean sheets and a great start to the season. Don't think anyone thought we'd be second at this point. Can't wait for the Limerick game!!

Martinho II
07/04/2012, 6:26 PM
the way limerick played last night lads ye will beat them as they were rank.. scully is under more pressure!

freewheel30
07/04/2012, 9:31 PM
Are Youths still "strictly amateur" or has the club now gone semi-pro? Shane Keegan seems to be a very promising manager anyway from what I can make out. Youths were unlucky to lose the Longford game as well (had a man sent off early on)?

Martinho II
08/04/2012, 11:02 PM
as far as I know youths are still amatuer.

ForzaForth
09/04/2012, 9:30 AM
Freewheel,

Have no definite details on the financial arrangements for the players, but I imagine there can be little more than expenses involved.

As far as Shane Keegan is concerned, I think he's done an excellent job. Firstly, he's brought together a much strengthened squad which was badly needed. Last year, we were very thin squad-wise at times and we now have the guts of two teams which at least gives us some cover. Secondly, I think he has been bright enough to change the manner of approaching games even though only a quarter of the season has gone. In the pre-season matches and in the Leinster Senior Cup match against Shelbourne, he had the team trying to build up slowly from the back and it just didn't work. The team now plays a much more direct style and it suits the team so much better.

The team isn't the most technically adept - we've never really had that in Wexford - but you have an eleven that works very hard round the pitch and very well organised at the back as our goals conceded shows.