PDA

View Full Version : Limerick away 1st V 2nd

Pages : [1] 2

outspoken
03/04/2012, 2:11 PM
So the big one is only 3 days away and its 1st V 2nd what a massive game. We had a great crowd in Galway and despite the extended distance it would be great to get the famous Town backing down in Limerick so if you're at nothing on Friday hop on the bus! You can book you're place by texting Liam on 087 6141926 .

On the game itself with it being such a huge game I think we may see Keith Gillespie come back into the fray as his experience could prove key while it would also allow Kirbs to push on and influence the game higher up the field something he couldnt seem to do last Friday. Salmo was also extremely quite Friday night so the same should go for him and if we can get those 3 players preforming at full capacity with the strikers putting away any chances we create we are in with a big chance because I feel the back 4 is more solid than in the past with Haverty and Hope in great form.

CMON DE TOWN

thomas72
03/04/2012, 4:50 PM
IF Limerick win this game I reckon we will start to pull away at the top but we have to win Friday first the return of Stephen Bradley in midfield to partner Joe gamble who has excellent so far this season is massive

L.T.F.C.
03/04/2012, 5:56 PM
Pull away? You're a point behind us! Calm down son.

thomas72
03/04/2012, 6:22 PM

YEs but if we win and go top we won't be moved just my opinion that's all.

bluewhitearmy
03/04/2012, 10:32 PM
Cant see us pulling away from Longford at any stage this season....From what im told of how they are playing they have been far far better then us.
Don't know how anyone that has seen us play this season can be so confident we have been playing like complete crap except one game.

How is Kirby doing for ye?

Dont understand how oustpoken can say Haverty and Hope are in great form when ye havent kept a clean sheet since the 1st game of the season being honest.

L.T.F.C.
03/04/2012, 11:12 PM
Well when you see the goals that we've conceded, they're not from poor play by us. Two long-range rockets from Waterford, the goal against Athlone was a deflected that landed on the head of McGee from 3 yards... so its not so bad!

Kirby is doing quite well, he has still got it! Hopefully himself and Gillespie will run the show on Friday!

bluewhitearmy
03/04/2012, 11:19 PM
Well when you see the goals that we've conceded, they're not from poor play by us. Two long-range rockets from Waterford, the goal against Athlone was a deflected that landed on the head of McGee from 3 yards... so its not so bad!

Kirby is doing quite well, he has still got it! Hopefully himself and Gillespie will run the show on Friday!

Could be a great midfield battle with Kirby and Gillespie up against Gamble and Bradley if he starts....
The more i think of it the more i think that Scully will panic because of your midfield and go to 4-5-1 if he does ye will win easily imo.
Really cant wait for this game,id have ye as favourites though.

CraftyToePoke
03/04/2012, 11:33 PM

Yes true, but were Limerick to win this and the next game Vs Wexford Youths, we would be clear at the top without having really even clicked yet. If indeed we do click. The expectation upon the side in Limerick is big, the squad assembled here will be expected to win each game.

Words to eat later maybe, I know. Longford have delivered very good results thus far and seem to have goals in them also.

Lim till i die
03/04/2012, 11:53 PM
Cant see us pulling away from Longford at any stage this season....From what im told of how they are playing they have been far far better then us.
Don't know how anyone that has seen us play this season can be so confident we have been playing like complete crap except one game.

You can over estimate teams aswell tbf. Look at their results, they haven't exactly been rolling over the opposition.

They're basically Mick Cookes Monaghan team, big, physical, good at set pieces with a sprinkling of pace. But ultimately fairly limited.

I like Daniel Purdy in particular, feckin good player, Shaw is apparently good aswell. And of course you've Kirby.

Their defence (Haverty aside if he's the fella who was playing A League for Pats the last few years??) doesn't impress me tbh.

thomas72 has a point in that if we beat Longford and come through Wexford and Harps with four points we'll be hard to shift as the season goes on. Our starting eleven is obviously a lot better but more importantly look at our squad. I'd argue all our subs would probably start for Longford, you couldn't say the same about their bench for us. Therefore, if we do manage to get ahead I reckon you'll have a right job shifting us.

That's not to say we'll win Friday night, we quite possibly wont, but over the course of a season we should
have more than enough

joeSoap
04/04/2012, 9:00 AM
Let's put a few things in perspective. Keith Gillespie is 37...nearing the end of a career that was hit and miss at the best of times. In 18 appearances last year for Longford he didn't even score. I don't know his stats this season.
Kirby is a 34 year old journeyman, albeit a fine winger. Those two are the only two of their squad that should pose any real threat. I agree with LTID in so far as man for man we should eat without salt any side in this division, and given time to settle we probably will. Not even somebody as arrogant and tactically clueless as Scully should be able to prevent this squad from winning this division with a bit to spare.
But as LTID said... should... but you never know with Limerick.

Longfordian
04/04/2012, 9:31 AM
We've been aiming for second since the start so I don't think anyone's claiming we have a better squad than Limerick, or they shouldn't be anyway. Our aim should be to be competitive at the top end and if Limerick make a hames of it we will hopefully be in a position to capitalise. A draw would be just dandy on Friday.

outspoken
04/04/2012, 9:37 AM
LTID that is indeed Haverty from Pats and as LTFC said we conceeded a deflection against Athlone, 2 wonder strikes against Waterford and 2 penalties against Wexford and SD Galway so despite keeping only 1 clean sheet the back 4 do look a lot more solid than in previous seasons and Havery, hope and deans carry great threat from set pieces in both boxes which is always encouraging.

L.T.F.C.
04/04/2012, 9:46 AM
You can over estimate teams aswell tbf. Look at their results, they haven't exactly been rolling over the opposition.

They're basically Mick Cookes Monaghan team, big, physical, good at set pieces with a sprinkling of pace. But ultimately fairly limited.

I like Daniel Purdy in particular, feckin good player, Shaw is apparently good aswell. And of course you've Kirby.

Their defence (Haverty aside if he's the fella who was playing A League for Pats the last few years??) doesn't impress me tbh.

thomas72 has a point in that if we beat Longford and come through Wexford and Harps with four points we'll be hard to shift as the season goes on. Our starting eleven is obviously a lot better but more importantly look at our squad. I'd argue all our subs would probably start for Longford, you couldn't say the same about their bench for us. Therefore, if we do manage to get ahead I reckon you'll have a right job shifting us.

That's not to say we'll win Friday night, we quite possibly wont, but over the course of a season we should
have more than enough
I didn't know alot about Haverty, but I spoke to a couple of players from other clubs, and they speak very well of him, so I'm giving him a chance, and I've been happy enough with him. Hope is solid as a rock.

Let's put a few things in perspective. Keith Gillespie is 37...nearing the end of a career that was hit and miss at the best of times. In 18 appearances last year for Longford he didn't even score. I don't know his stats this season.
Kirby is a 34 year old journeyman, albeit a fine winger. Those two are the only two of their squad that should pose any real threat. I agree with LTID in so far as man for man we should eat without salt any side in this division, and given time to settle we probably will. Not even somebody as arrogant and tactically clueless as Scully should be able to prevent this squad from winning this division with a bit to spare.
But as LTID said... should... but you never know with Limerick.
Gillespie has been massive this year especially. One of the fittest members of the team and nearly single-handedly stopped Athlone. Kirby has been been with four clubs in over 10 years, one of which folded when he was on the books. Hardly a journey-man. Both players have still got it, hopefully you'll see that on Friday, whatever the result!

I don't think it'll be as easy as you all think! Well, I hope not!

joeSoap
04/04/2012, 11:56 AM
Kirby has been been with four clubs in over 10 years, one of which folded when he was on the books.
Sionce 2001 he has been at Waterford, Longford, St. Patricks Athletic, Sporting Fingal, Sligo Rovers and back to Longford. All since 2001. Thats a fair bit of travelling in 10 1/2 years do you not think?
Not disputing his talent though..

outspoken
04/04/2012, 12:23 PM
Sionce 2001 he has been at Waterford, Longford, St. Patricks Athletic, Sporting Fingal, Sligo Rovers and back to Longford. All since 2001. Thats a fair bit of travelling in 10 1/2 years do you not think?
Not disputing his talent though..

In LOI terms I would say hes traveled a lot less than others to be fair. Anyway none of that matters hes still one of the best around.

De Town
04/04/2012, 1:45 PM
Limerick fans making a big deal out of us relying on the golden oldies Gillespie and Kirby, yet if you pop over to their forum they're all having a wankfest over Dominic ****ing Foley. Oh the irony.

We're well capable of getting a positive result in my opinion, although I really fear for us if we sit back and play for the draw from the off, which I can see happening.

outspoken
04/04/2012, 1:56 PM
Limerick fans making a big deal out of us relying on the golden oldies Gillespie and Kirby, yet if you pop over to their forum they're all having a wankfest over Dominic ****ing Foley. Oh the irony.
Haha love it!

Jofspring
04/04/2012, 2:24 PM

We're well capable of getting a positive result in my opinion, although I really fear for us if we sit back and play for the draw from the off, which I can see happening.

Ya ALL the Limerick fans claimed they where old players yew where relying on.......by my count it was one Limerick fan. Most think it will actually be a good battle in the midfield. Dominic Foley is also out for Friday and I doubt anyone is having a wankfest about him when he has only started two games, been poor in one a very good in the other.

I think Limericks Live 95fm are going to do live commentary on the game too for anyone that can't make it.

CraftyToePoke
04/04/2012, 2:39 PM

Not really seeing the Foley related wankfest of which you speak in the Limerick forum.

Anyway, no need for any w@nking when we will be dicking Longford Town around the place for real on Friday.

Oh Yes.

Acornvilla
04/04/2012, 3:17 PM
Not really seeing the Foley related wankfest of which you speak in the Limerick forum.

Anyway, no need for any w@nking when we will be dicking Longford Town around the place for real on Friday.

Oh Yes.
cool story bro

joeSoap
04/04/2012, 3:48 PM
True, I'm the only one from Limerick going on about the age thing, so thats hardly a pandemic now is it?
Enjoy the trip down lads...it'll feel twice as long on the way home , hopefully!!

Keen2win
04/04/2012, 3:56 PM
So is there many going from LTFC? Hopefully a big crowd! Is the bus going?

bluewhitearmy
04/04/2012, 4:32 PM
Where will Kirby play Friday? If you have a right winger any way handy we are in serious trouble down that side.

outspoken
04/04/2012, 4:57 PM
Just to mention anyone still looking to travel to the game there are just 3 seats left on the supporters bus leaving Longford at 5pm on Friday.

L.T.F.C.
04/04/2012, 5:01 PM
Karl Bermingham played right wing against Waterford and ripped them apart. It was a joke. Hopefully him and James will link up well again.

bluewhitearmy
04/04/2012, 5:40 PM
Karl Bermingham played right wing against Waterford and ripped them apart. It was a joke. Hopefully him and James will link up well again.

We are fine so :p

Martinho II
04/04/2012, 8:23 PM
in fairness to Des Hope he has only come back since the Leinster Senior Cup tie and has missed practically three quarters of the season so far so for a man who has played little football hes doin well to be joint top scorer! hes being top notch since he come back and is hitting his peak since he signed for us..

joeSoap
05/04/2012, 8:37 AM
Just to mention anyone still looking to travel to the game there are just 3 seats left on the supporters bus leaving Longford at 5pm on Friday. Is 5pm not very late to be leaving for this? It's a 100 mile journey, on roads that aren't great in a bus. I'd say you're looking at 2 hrs 15 mins at least. If anything goes wrong, traffic, p1ss stops etc, you're cutting it fine to be there for kick off.

outspoken
05/04/2012, 8:46 AM
Is 5pm not very late to be leaving for this? It's a 100 mile journey, on roads that aren't great in a bus. I'd say you're looking at 2 hrs 15 mins at least. If anything goes wrong, traffic, p1ss stops etc, you're cutting it fine to be there for kick off.

Our usual driver always gets us there just in time twice last season we arrived at grounds just as the teams came out I have every confidence in him :)

joeSoap
05/04/2012, 8:49 AM
Fair enough, and as its good friday there shouldn't be any traffic issues...

Acornvilla
05/04/2012, 9:27 AM
ye might want to reconsider that 5pm leaving time alright, I do that trip a few times a month, and your going struggle to get there on time especially in a bus, any traffic and your fecked. 4:30 would probably be safe enough.

thomas72
05/04/2012, 10:05 AM
GReat to see a good travelling support how many do ye reckon will travel down?

Macy
05/04/2012, 10:50 AM
Is 5pm not very late to be leaving for this? It's a 100 mile journey, on roads that aren't great in a bus. I'd say you're looking at 2 hrs 15 mins at least. If anything goes wrong, traffic, p1ss stops etc, you're cutting it fine to be there for kick off.
It's bad luck to see kick off. Or is that just me?

Jofspring
05/04/2012, 11:19 AM
Going from Limerick to Longford takes me 2 hours on the button. Going the other way could be trickier, especially on a bus. There are road works all over the city at the moment so its hard to know how long it will take to get into Jackman Park. 2hrs 45minutes should give just about enough time but I would definitely push it to 4:30 if possible. A good crowd is expected so there may be a queue to get in which means another delay.

Acornvilla
05/04/2012, 12:52 PM
And Jackman can be a bit of a hoor to get into, especially as like expected there'll be a decent crowd.

De Town
05/04/2012, 1:14 PM
How do I get to Jackman Park coming from Longford? Making my first visit tomorrow so I'm fairly clueless.

Lim till i die
05/04/2012, 4:44 PM
It's actually a hoor to get to from out of town.

I would say follow the sign posts for the train station but what sign posts??

Leave the M7 at junction 29 (Ballysimon Junction), then at traffic signals turn right onto Ballysimon Road - R527 (signposted Limerick)
37.08 Continue forward onto Ballysimon Road - R527 (signposted Limerick)
37.95 Continue forward onto Ballysimon Road - R527 Entering Limerick
38.03 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Ballysimon Road - R527 (signposted City Centre)
39.62 At Tipperary Roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Ballysimon Road - R527 (signposted City Centre N24)
40.88 Limerick Greyhound Stadium
41.31 Continue forward onto Upper William Street - R527 (signposted City Centre)
41.44 At traffic signals turn left onto Upper Gerald Griffin Street - R527 (signposted City Centre, All Routes)
41.62 At traffic signals turn left onto Parnell Street - R858
41.73 Turn left onto Parnell Street
41.76 Arrive on Parnell Street

The ground is actually on Carey's Road, but the thingy wouldn't take Careys Road. If you've found Parnell Street you're more or less there.

The boys leaving on the bus you're cutting it fairly fine. There's going to be pandemonium outside the ground before kick off.

Jofspring
05/04/2012, 4:50 PM
And Jackman can be a bit of a hoor to get into, especially as like expected there'll be a decent crowd.

Ya best bet is to head towards the city centre and ask for directions to the bus/train station. Once in that area park around there and follow the thousands descending upon the stadium.

Just as a note: Childers Road has been closed the last few days and has caused a lot of traffic around the train station as traffic going in a few different directions has been forced to go this way.

Longfordian
05/04/2012, 5:24 PM
Are any Lims heads up for a bit of a ruckus outside before the game? Danny Dyer style, proper naughty. Won't be there myself but Martinho was wondering.

Lim till i die
05/04/2012, 6:12 PM
Are any Lims heads up for a bit of a ruckus outside before the game? Danny Dyer style, proper naughty. Won't be there myself but Martinho was wondering.

It's one area the club is badly lacking in after years in the First Division I'm afraid.

Take a left past the ground up Hyde Road and make a nuisance of yourselves and I'm sure the locals will oblige.

There was no hurling in Dublin till the Shels lads came down in 2007 and saw the sticks. Revivals nothing to do with Anthony Daly. :ball:

Martinho II
05/04/2012, 6:35 PM
I think the easiest way to get to the ground is to go on the motorway from athlone to galway turn off at loughrea and once there follow signs for gort. You then have motorway practially the whole way. When you are coming into the fringes of Limerick city follow the signs for the city centre /Thormond Park.You go past the rugby ground and if my memory serves me correct the end of the road is opposite the bus station and you wont be too far wrong.. the ground will be just around the corner on the road opposite to the right and then careys road on the left. please feel me to correct me if I am wrong. But thats the way I would go and there wont be much stoppages either compared to goin by Athlone/Nenagh.

Lim till i die
05/04/2012, 6:53 PM
I think the easiest way to get to the ground is to go on the motorway from athlone to galway turn off at loughrea and once there follow signs for gort. You then have motorway practially the whole way. When you are coming into the fringes of Limerick city follow the signs for the city centre /Thormond Park.You go past the rugby ground and if my memory serves me correct the end of the road is opposite the bus station and you wont be too far wrong.. the ground will be just around the corner on the road opposite to the right and then careys road on the left. please feel me to correct me if I am wrong. But thats the way I would go and there wont be much stoppages either compared to goin by Athlone/Nenagh.

You're a long way from Jackman when you hit Thomond Park, not sure which road you're refering too!! (sounds like a handy way across town actually if you wanna pass it on.) :p

Your best bet from that side is to follow the motorway on through the tunnel and take the ROXBOROUGH exit.

Continue straight along this road (you'll see Hogan Park on your left and a Maldron Hotel on your right) At the end of this road there's a T Junction, take the left here and carry on straight over a set of railway tracks. Then take a right at the next set of traffic lights and you're on Hyde Road. Jackman Park is at the very end of this road on the right.

THE ABOVE ADVICE IS POINTLESS IF CHILDERS ROAD IS CLOSED.

I'm not sure whether it is or it isn't but if it is do the following if travelling from that side:

Take the CAHERDAVIN exit off the motorway, continue straight on through a few roundabouts and you'll come to Ivans cross. (You'll see the Gaelic Grounds in the distance in front of you on your left) Go straight on, passing the Gaelic Grounds on your left and keep going straight the whole way into town over Sarsfield Bridge and along William St. At the top of William St you'll come to a junction with the TSB on your right and AIB on your left. Go right at this Junction and straight on up along Gerald Griffin Street and veer left onto Parnell Street and you're there.

Now ye better behave yereselves tomorrow night, that's the nicest I've ever been on this forum!! :p

Jofspring
05/04/2012, 8:20 PM

We are saving ourselves for the bebo schooligans reunion fight at the end of the season. It's gunna propa ard.

bluewhitearmy
05/04/2012, 8:32 PM
You're a long way from Jackman when you hit Thomond Park, not sure which road you're refering too!! (sounds like a handy way across town actually if you wanna pass it on.) :p

Your best bet from that side is to follow the motorway on through the tunnel and take the ROXBOROUGH exit.

Continue straight along this road (you'll see Hogan Park on your left and a Maldron Hotel on your right) At the end of this road there's a T Junction, take the left here and carry on straight over a set of railway tracks. Then take a right at the next set of traffic lights and you're on Hyde Road. Jackman Park is at the very end of this road on the right.

THE ABOVE ADVICE IS POINTLESS IF CHILDERS ROAD IS CLOSED.

I'm not sure whether it is or it isn't but if it is do the following if travelling from that side:

Take the CAHERDAVIN exit off the motorway, continue straight on through a few roundabouts and you'll come to Ivans cross. (You'll see the Gaelic Grounds in the distance in front of you on your left) Go straight on, passing the Gaelic Grounds on your left and keep going straight the whole way into town over Sarsfield Bridge and along William St. At the top of William St you'll come to a junction with the TSB on your right and AIB on your left. Go right at this Junction and straight on up along Gerald Griffin Street and veer left onto Parnell Street and you're there.

Now ye better behave yereselves tomorrow night, that's the nicest I've ever been on this forum!! :p

Do that childers road is open again.

thomas72
05/04/2012, 8:47 PM
AGree with you there will be a huge Que to get into the ground anyone that was there before will know there is only one pay point into the ground with hopefully and expected about 1000 trying to get in there will be delays I would leave half four ish maybe even 4:15

Acornvilla
05/04/2012, 10:12 PM
To put it in words the longford lads will understand, tis like that cattle crush that's just a bit too thin, and you've got a rake of fat heffers trying to plough through it all at once.

thomas72
05/04/2012, 10:36 PM
To put it in words the longford lads will understand, tis like that cattle crush that's just a bit too thin, and you've got a rake of fat heffers trying to plough through it all at once.

LOL pretty much it. THank god its our last season up there its not a league of Ireland ground never was with a fantastic new stadium for next season it will be brilliant at last excellent facilities with dressing rooms bigger than a shoe box.

Longfordian
06/04/2012, 12:47 PM
Blazers on Stephen's Night springs to mind from that description.

RonnieB
06/04/2012, 8:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5IEwXrjYVc&feature=fvwrel

Longfordian
06/04/2012, 9:16 PM
Get the fook in! Come on Town! Huge win, should give them real belief that they can have a right go at winning the division. Only slight concern would be our strikers not really scoring but as long as someone else is then happy days!