PDA

View Full Version : U21 squad to play Bulgaria

Bowsy
05/08/2004, 1:58 PM
Under 21 squad has been announced and looking at it it makes exciting reading with the likes of MCGeady, Flood, Elliott, and Potter. A lot of this squad could go on to be full internationals. Bit surprised to see McGeady in the u21s but makes sense as he has as yet proved nothing in senior football. Personally I really like the look of Jay Tabb. Knew nothing of him before i saw him play for u21s against Scotland but he looked very dangerous. His finishing could be worked on though. Really looking forward to seeing how these lads progress at their clubs this season.

Squad: Henderson (Aston Villa), Murphy (Swansea City), Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur), Brennan (Newcastle United), McCarthy (Manchester City), Fitzgerald (Blackburn Rovers), Capper (Scarborough), Foley (Luton Town), Flood (Manchester City), Potter (Liverpool), Whelan (Sheffield Wednesday), Thornton (Sunderland), Kearney (Cork City), Doyle (Cork City), Elliott (Sunderland), Tabb (Brentford), McGeady (Celtic), Paisley (Longford Town).

tiktok
05/08/2004, 2:04 PM
A lot of this squad could go on to be full internationals.

Kearney (Cork City), Doyle (Cork City), Paisley (Longford Town).

Here's hoping they do, and that how they play their football (especially at European level) will be deemed more important than where they play their football ;)

pete
05/08/2004, 2:04 PM
Good to see Kearney, Doyle & Paisley continuing to fly the falg on merit for the eL. European football probably gives them an advantage over their British based squad members.

Bowsy
05/08/2004, 2:12 PM
EL lads deserve their place. Have liked what I've seen of Kearney. God knows why Forest let him go. Shows that the EL is progressing. A few years ago I reckon Kearney, Paisley, etc would be playing for lower league English clubs rather than EL sides.

SÓC
05/08/2004, 2:47 PM
Donno about Givens but Kerr rates Doyle quite highly so you'd never know. Also the fact that he plays just as well on the right wing as up front could see him progress eventually.

Kearney has come on a lot a Cork City this season, classy classy player but alas we have far too many decent left wingers for him ever to get promoted I'd say.

Fr. Murphy
05/08/2004, 3:32 PM
McGeady called into Under 21 squad - 05 August 2004

Celtic’s Aiden McGeady has been called into the Republic of Ireland Under 21 squad for the first time for the clash with Bulgaria in Drogheda on Tuesday, August 17th.

Squad: Henderson (Aston Villa), Murphy (Swansea City), Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur), Brennan (Newcastle United), McCarthy (Manchester City), Fitzgerald (Blackburn Rovers), Capper (Scarborough), Foley (Luton Town), Flood (Manchester City), Potter (Liverpool), Whelan (Sheffield Wednesday), Thornton (Sunderland), Kearney (Cork City), Doyle (Cork City), Elliott (Sunderland), Tabb (Brentford), McGeady (Celtic), Paisley (Longford Town).

Peadar
05/08/2004, 3:39 PM
Good to see Kearney, Doyle & Paisley continuing to fly the falg on merit for the eL.

All we need now is for Brian Kerr to come good and include John O'Flynn in his squad. I hope he's in Inchicore on Friday night.

pete
05/08/2004, 4:35 PM
Doyle has improved hugely as well this year. Would think he in first choice u-forward partnership with Elliot.