PDA

View Full Version : Sponsored Holidays

Macy
05/08/2004, 2:26 PM
Just got the latest company magazine, and a big spread on someone who went on some trek for a charity. Now, fair fúcks for raising the money for the charity, but why dress it up as something it's not. It's a sponsored holiday for the person actually going, as much as raising funds for the charity.

Just kinda reminded me why I don't sponsor such things, and I thought I'd get it off my chest....

SÓC
05/08/2004, 2:37 PM
Just got the latest company magazine, and a big spread on someone who went on some trek for a charity. Now, fair fúcks for raising the money for the charity, but why dress it up as something it's not. It's a sponsored holiday for the person actually going, as much as raising funds for the charity.

Just kinda reminded me why I don't sponsor such things, and I thought I'd get it off my chest....You trying to give up smokes again or something?:)

In the end of the day the whole point of the excercise is to raise money for charity. If they didnt offer the sponsored holidays then sadly most people wouldnt do it.

Just like the Lotto really

Peadar
05/08/2004, 2:45 PM

Someone will sponsor me to play the Lotto :eek:

:D

Macy
05/08/2004, 2:56 PM
You trying to give up smokes again or something?:)

In the end of the day the whole point of the excercise is to raise money for charity. If they didnt offer the sponsored holidays then sadly most people wouldnt do it.

Maybe most people wouldn't do it, but what gets on my wick is the people that think they're great for doing it.

At least the lotto is honest - you're paying to win something, whilst at the same time supporting charities and groups that are underfunded by the Government....

pete
05/08/2004, 2:56 PM
Few years ago bunch of pople from work got sponsored for NY marathon but they also put up the £500-600 of their own money for the expenses which is correct.

If someone just takes the expenses out of the contribution then yes its just sponsored holiday.

btw Marathon is one thing but i wouldn't be queuing up to sponsor someone for a walk.

:rolleyes:

SÓC
05/08/2004, 2:58 PM
Someone will sponsor me to play the Lotto :eek:

:DGrrr....the idea of the lotto is that you give 50c to charity everytime. Now people wouldnt just walk into their local shop and hand over 50c out of the goodness of their heart, they need to be coaxed into doing it, by prize money.

Sadly Ireland is fairly full of Mé Féiners and this is the only way to get things done.

People thinking they are great for doing it, well that is a bit silly alright

Macy
05/08/2004, 3:07 PM
Sadly Ireland is fairly full of Mé Féiners and this is the only way to get things done.
Or maybe a fairer tax regime, and thus better support for the communities/ groups that a hell of a lot of these charities are trying to help?

fosterdollar
05/08/2004, 3:09 PM
At least the lotto is honest - you're paying to win something, whilst at the same time supporting charities and groups that are underfunded by the Government....

How is the lotto more honest?

Don't deny it, fock all of the people buying lotto tickets are buying them due to the charitable nature of them. There is only one thing on their mind.

In relation to putting up yer own funds, most of the people who do go on those trips put up what they can afford and get the rest by organising table quizzes, etc. i.e. there is a resultant social input. I have no problem with them at all. Ineveitably the money is 'earned' and the charity gets a chunk as well.

The most admirable ones are the people who spend time in the area the charity is working in. They are collecting charity money and then going out there and putting it to use. What more can you do?

Those guys on the street wreck my head with the clipboards. Have you ever seen the breakdown of how much of every euro actualy goes to admin, expenses, THE PERSON COLLECTING THE CASH, etc. before the 'kids on the tv' get anything.

fosterdollar
05/08/2004, 3:10 PM
but what gets on my wick is the people that think they're great for doing it.

Agreed whole-heartedly re the walkers and strollers :rolleyes:

Peadar
05/08/2004, 3:14 PM

Ireland is full of people looking for a handout too and I make no apology for being sick of most of them.
I made the mistake of buying a ticket from Focus once and they've plagued me ever since with junk mail looking for more money. That's the last time I give them anything.
If I ever play Lotto it's purely so that I may win something.
If a friend is in need then I hope I'm in a position to be charitable but other than that, I don't want to know.

SÓC
05/08/2004, 3:15 PM
Or maybe a fairer tax regime, and thus better support for the communities/ groups that a hell of a lot of these charities are trying to help?
By fairer I assume you mean one tax band for everyone thus not punishing people for their success;)

I actually agree Macy, IMO there should be higher taxes on the likes Fags, Drink and petrol to helo pay for the same people you're talking about

Macy
05/08/2004, 3:41 PM
Firstly I didn't specify which Government, it was actually all Governments I was talking about. However, would you not accept that the current Government has had far more money to play with (reaping the benefits sown by the Rainbow), and has chose to reduce taxes at the same time as reducing services?

If services were properly supported by a progressive tax regime, the lotto money could then go to the "extras". At present, too much lotto money (and actually charity money in general) is going to provide essential services that the state should be providing.

Macy
05/08/2004, 3:59 PM
IMacy, there's selective memory and there's selective memory but suggesting that the Rainbow Coalition was somehow solely responsible for the economic growth is remarkable.
No more so than FF/PD's and especially McCreevy claiming sole responsibility.

max power
05/08/2004, 4:49 PM

Just kinda reminded me why I don't sponsor such things, and I thought I'd get it off my chest....

macy my bank account number is below ;)

tiktok
05/08/2004, 5:01 PM
My experience of these 'sponsored holidays' is that they're a very good thing for the Charity. We seem to agree from this thread alone, Irish people in general don't like giving without receiving.

Companies often use the charity donation tax write-off to sponsor these cycle/trek/walking tours which means that the Charity itself has little to pay and practically all the money raised by individuals goes to the charity itself.

IMO, it's a good way of getting people who might not normally contrubute to put their hands in their pockets, even if they do benefit with a great trip and 'think they're great' at the end of it, the charity comes out the winner.

max power
05/08/2004, 5:25 PM
ok i'll give rant on this and then let you decide......

i leave dublin for new yorkon a thursday, i arrive thursday afternoon and have to go and register..then i go for a 5 mile run to keep loose.

friday, i do some shopping and another run, i also have a meeting.

sat, i have a pasta party, not really a party, just a way of getting carbos into my body for the next day, then home and bed by 8.

sun, up at 5/6 am to get a bus to start line, i do a 2 mile warm up for the race. then i run 26.2 miles at 11 am, i hope to be finish by 4 and then its off for a massage and prob bed cause i'll be in bits.

mon. i do a run to keep muscles active and try, depends on how i am . hopfully a few drinks if i can.

fly home tuesday...

there is what a "free holiday" is to some people.

Macy
06/08/2004, 9:24 AM
I'm even suspect of the number of people who watched the programme on the Irish construction workers in South Africa and said they wanted to go - tan in the winter, bit of craic and bonding, a chance to really purge your soul and feel that you're making a difference, sounds alright to me.
In fairness Conor, they were actually making a difference, they weren't just over there for a bit of a jog around central park....

Troy.McClure
07/08/2004, 1:30 PM
Ha ha ha, Im in South Korea now on a "free holiday" :D :D :D

I was at a Youth Festival for Peace (http://www.cuseoul.org/) in Seoul 2 weeks ago and Ive extended my time here for 5 extra weeks :p To be honest, it was fairly tough going and everyday was packed (the schedule is here (http://www.cuseoul.org/sub/youth_festival/schedule.asp) ). 3 of us arrived after 15 hours traveling to go (litterally) in the door on arrival and start it. No free time and up each morning at 7 for brekkie and had events organised until 11pm each night (and much later for those who were more heavely involved). Not a sniff of sight seeing although I supppose you could call the trip to the DeMiliterised Zone (DMZ) a day out, but it was linked to what we were up to.

From what Ive seen since the programme has finished, I wouldnt really recommend comming here (kinda boring tbh) but some stuff like the buddest monestries are out of this world!

To be fair, alot of people put in serious hours with little recognition or help to genuinely (sp?) try to make a difference to peoples lives. You might see the 2 weeks they do "strolling" around but you dont see the early weekend mornings/time off work for months before-hand and living on bread and water while they're away. Most 'trips' just pay for the flights (if that at all) and a good bit of money that normally wouldnt go to charity does.

STOP YOU'RE COMPLAINING AND DO SOMETHING YOU'RSELF IF YOU FEEL SO STRONGLY ABOUT CHARITY!!!

PS I also got an EU funded trip to Spain 2 years ago, now that was a junket! 1 week of the 2 was basically dedicated to learning about Spanish culture via the Fiesta that was going on at the time :)

max power
08/08/2004, 6:05 AM
In fairness Conor, they were actually making a difference, they weren't just over there for a bit of a jog around central park....

i'll put that out if character comment down to pre wedding blues ;)

Macy
09/08/2004, 8:53 AM
i'll put that out if character comment down to pre wedding blues ;)
Too late to bite now, that was my Friday bait....