PDA

View Full Version : Who's Gonna Win FAI Junior Cup 2004/05

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

balls
05/08/2004, 12:44 PM
carrick are strong again this year. fairview will be there or there a bouts as usual. saint michaels,portmarnock and clonmel town will be threats. i know galway hibs, athenry and erris are good is there any other contenders in the west.

Peake
29/11/2004, 4:27 PM
At this stage u probably know that Clonmel Town and last years finalists Carrick Utd are now knocked out of this competition.

inexile
30/11/2004, 9:39 AM
its looking like there will be a strong contingent from limerick this year with either fairview/ pike , janesboro/park,ballynanty,carew park and granville coming out of town, so from what i can make so far freebooters,carrick,portmarnock(i think)and maymount are out already so that would leave the 4 remaining quarter finalists fairview,janesboro,st kevins and galway hibs, plus ballynanty,st michaels,evergreen,ballymun and killester as the main challengers, but as usual it is hard to look beyond fairview

thecorner
03/12/2004, 1:42 AM
will we ever see a cork side win it!!!!!!!

surely the likes of greenmount,kinsale or leeside should be able to compete..those 3 sides usaulyy make up the najority of the oscar traynor side

Rovers Fellow!
03/12/2004, 7:12 AM
What about the FAI Intermediate Cup? Didnt Rockmount win that last season. Better standard although not as many teams in it. Last 32 being played this weekend. Winners play in first round of FAI Cup.

CollegeTillIDie
03/12/2004, 7:30 AM
At this stage u probably know that Clonmel Town and last years finalists Carrick Utd are now knocked out of this competition.

Are we ever going to see another future EL club emerge from these ranks ala FInn Harps in 1968?

thecorner
03/12/2004, 10:47 AM
Are we ever going to see another future EL club emerge from these ranks ala FInn Harps in 1968?

a la cobh ramblers even later on than that ;)

joeSoap
07/12/2004, 12:13 PM
Safe to say after this weekend that neither Fairview Rangers, Janesboro , St. Kevins Boys or Portmarnock, all of whom could have been fancied, are going to win it.

balls
08/12/2004, 5:55 PM
st michaels and balla will be a good game. the cup is wide open this year anyone could win it. watch out for peake villa.

joeSoap
08/12/2004, 8:15 PM
Pike Rovers to win it for Fran Mullally :ball:

Gary
08/12/2004, 10:28 PM
Moved to new Junior section.

Gary

clownboy
09/12/2004, 8:13 AM
Kilester or Ballymun from Dublin will go a long way as will Pike and whoever wins between Balla and Michaels will do well also i think...Hopefully it will be Balla or Pike to win it...Carew could cause a few upsets too

blobbyblob
09/12/2004, 4:09 PM

I think Waterford Crystal knocked out Carrick so they have to be in the reckoning.

joeSoap
13/12/2004, 11:08 AM
Pike Rovers beat Blessington 1-0 in Blessington yesterday in the last 64 game.They made awfully hard work of it, defending way too deeply and inviting mediocre opposition upon them, and leaving themselves very light up front when attacking. Their goalscorer, Dermot Phelan got sent off yet again, but is now emigrating to Oz. They're a very hard team to score against though, and I don't think they have conceded a goal in the competitions 5 rounds yet (though am open to correction).

clownboy
13/12/2004, 11:42 AM
I think your right there Joe although i think the hammered Hill celtic but they might have scored not sure though,...I think Pike will do well as you said they defend well and are hard to beat especially when they go a goal up..I cant understand how Phelan and Considine were playing yesterday though because the LDMC/ Fai had a notice on the Limerick Leader all year stating if you got sent off in the fai that you were automatically suspended for the next game..He surely will now ...not that it matters...All LDMC teams won Granville beat Churchview 3-1 aet ...Carew won 1- 0 away to glasheen amd Park rangers won also 1-0 too i think...Balla and st michaels off till the new year.

joeSoap
13/12/2004, 12:17 PM
I cant understand how Phelan and Considine were playing yesterday though because the LDMC/ Fai had a notice on the Limerick Leader all year stating if you got sent off in the fai that you were automatically suspended for the next game...
I think the FAI send letters to the clubs of those sent off, giving them the right to attend a hearing over suspensions before players actually get suspended.

the 12 th man
13/12/2004, 12:52 PM
Pike Rovers beat Blessington 1-0 in Blessington yesterday in the last 64 game.They made awfully hard work of it, defending way too deeply and inviting mediocre opposition upon them, and leaving themselves very light up front when attacking. Their goalscorer, Dermot Phelan got sent off yet again, but is now emigrating to Oz. They're a very hard team to score against though, and I don't think they have conceded a goal in the competitions 5 rounds yet (though am open to correction).

i was there were you ?. :)
pike should have had it in the bag at half time.
loads of chances

joeSoap
13/12/2004, 1:41 PM

i was there were you ?. :)
pike should have had it in the bag at half time.
loads of chances
Yeah, I was there....christ it was cold too. Why didn't they have admission at the gate?? There must have been 300 there at least and at €4 a pop would have made a handy grand or so for the club. They said their average attendance is 10, and they weren't expecting the crowd that was there.

Yeah, Pike could have been 4 up at half time, as blatant miss after 1 min, and an even more blatant pen not given, but all credit to Blessington, they battled and battled and with a bit of luck could have squeezed an equaliser out of it.

balls
13/12/2004, 5:14 PM
all limerick and tipp teams through so far. does anybody think the standard of junior soccer has really dipped this year. there are alot of very average teams in the last 32. rosegreen rangers and oldbridge are the two bottom teams from tipp premier league and they are beaten cork and dublin opposition in knockout stages

Aberdonian Stu
13/12/2004, 7:14 PM
So what Limerick, Tipp, and Dublin teams are left? Does anyone know the current state of the draw?

That crowd in Blessington reminds of a story I heard about a GAA match a couple of years back. St Mary's Sagart Under 10 Division E team (spring league was alphabetised) got a load of parents and relatives out for a fairly meaningless game (kids were winning league but were playing bottom club). 300 people turned up and the poor ref nearly had a heart attack.

the 12 th man
13/12/2004, 8:20 PM
Yeah, I was there....christ it was cold too. Why didn't they have admission at the gate?? There must have been 300 there at least and at €4 a pop would have made a handy grand or so for the club. They said their average attendance is 10, and they weren't expecting the crowd that was there.

Yeah, Pike could have been 4 up at half time, as blatant miss after 1 min, and an even more blatant pen not given, but all credit to Blessington, they battled and battled and with a bit of luck could have squeezed an equaliser out of it.

they never charge in as there are normally so few at the games that it probably did'nt occur to them to do it.

thought the ref was awful and gave us nothing but overall i would have no trouble with the result but it was shaping up like "one of those matches" when the dominant team gets beat.

you'll miss that sent off player.
best of luck for the rest of the competition :)

joeSoap
13/12/2004, 10:03 PM
you'll miss that sent off player.
best of luck for the rest of the competition :)

Cheers. As regards the sent-off player, he's gone to Australia for 3-6 months since today, so they're gonna miss him anyway...he's gonna be hard to replace ok.

flipper
14/12/2004, 2:59 PM
as for the sent off player,hes the most over-rated player around

flipper
14/12/2004, 3:00 PM
maybe u can answer me this joe soap, i thought if a player is sent off in the FAI this year, he automatically misses the next FAI game, how come that didnt happen with the two sent off against fairview.

just curious and hoping u might know.

joeSoap
14/12/2004, 3:16 PM
maybe u can answer me this joe soap, i thought if a player is sent off in the FAI this year, he automatically misses the next FAI game, how come that didnt happen with the two sent off against fairview.

just curious and hoping u might know.
Theres a`10 day gap between the sending-off and the suspension in order for clubs to appeal or the FAI to examine what punishments they will hand out. They can play away for 10 days.

the 12 th man
14/12/2004, 3:26 PM
They can play away for 10 days.

did'nt think they ever stopped ;) :rolleyes:

eoinh
14/12/2004, 4:05 PM
From Sligo Weekender

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Soccer: Determined Dicey Reilly’s reach last 32 of FAI Junior Cup
By Keith O’Dwyer

Statoil FAI Junior Cup
Dicey Reily’s 2, Illies Celtic (Inishowen) 2
After extra-time
Dicey Reilly’s won 4-2 on penalties

Dicey Reilly’s put their disappointing Sligo-Leitrim League Division One form behind them as they held their nerve to beat Inishowen League side Illies Celtic on penalties and therefore go through to the last 32 of the Statoil FAI Junior Cup.
Last Sunday’s game at MacSharry Park ended 2-2 – the winners twice came back from behind – as the sides couldn’t be separated after 90 absorbing minutes and 20 minutes of extra-time.
Dicey Reilly’s are now Sligo-Leitrim’s only representatives left in the Statoil-sponsored FAI Junior Cup which is some achievement for a side that went into the game bottom of Sligo-Leitrim’s Division One.
Although they are without a win in Division One thus far this season they have been in great form in Cup competitions.
The Sligo-Leitrim side were up against a strong team in Illies Celtic who play in the top flight of the Inishowen League and a number of their side play for the Inishowen League representative side.
It had looked ominous for Dicey’s as Illies made a blistering start to the game. The visitors went close to opening the scoring in the fourth minute. Aidan Doherty sent over a free from the left which was met by a header from the tall figure of Niall McDaid, who aimed for the corner, but Dicey’s keeper Glen Ballantyne did well to get across goal and get the ball behind for a corner.
The visitors took the lead in the 11th minute. Francie O’Donnell sent in a corner from the right which fell for Mark McDaid, whose half-volley from the left side of the box flew through a sea of legs and into the net.
They could have gone two up minutes later when Chris McDonagh’s clearance was blocked down by Mark McDaid, who shot for goal from 30 yards but his effort was touched onto the post by Ballantyne.
Somewhat against the run of play, Dicey’s equalised in the 22nd minute. Eoin Conlon played a great ball from midfield up to Johnny Davey on the left side of the box and the former Sligo Rovers player did well to square the ball across for Dale Bowen who shot home from close-range.
Illies went in leading at half-time as they scored their second right on the stroke of half-time. They were awarded a free-kick – about 30 yards out from goal – which was taken by Niall McDaid, who curled the ball over the wall and into the bottom corner.
Dicey’s didn’t let that goal affect their self-belief, however, and they drew level in the 54th minute. Darren Kelly sent in a free from the right which the Illies goalkeeper, Kevin McDermott, came to collect. But McDermott missed the ball and player-manager Eoin Conlon headed into the unguarded net.
Illies went close to going back in front in the 64th minute. O’Donnell took a corner from the right and sent in a low ball towards the front post where Paul Doherty’s rising shot on the turn came back off the crossbar.
A minute later Dicey’s were denied by the woodwork. Kelly sent in a corner from the left and McDonagh had a free header that was kept out by a combination of the goalkeeper, defender and the post.
With the sides level at full-time the game went into extra-time. Illies were on the offensive from the start and both Mark McDaid and O’Donnell went close inside the opening two minutes of the first period of extra-time.
Dicey’s could have scored in the fourth minute when Kelly’s corner from the left fell in the box for Alan Lillis, but his effort was saved by McDermott. Bowen and McDonagh were then denied by goal line clearances from Illies defender Oliver O’Donnell.
Illies had another good chance in the second period but Niall McDaid shot wide from in front of goal and the game went to penalties.
In the shoot-out Dicey’s remained focused to win 4-2 and therefore secure a famous victory. Kelly, Lillis, McDonagh and Conlon all scored for Dicey’s, while Andrew McLoughlin’s kick was saved by Ballantyne and Niall McDaid’s effort came back off the post.

Player of the Match: Johnny Davey (Dicey Reilly’s)
Dicey Reilly’s (Sligo-Leitrim): Glen Ballantyne, Darren Kelly, Ross Doonan (James Higgins 100), Alan Lillis, Matt Lyons, Adam McLoughlin, Chris McDonagh, Chris Boyle, Johnny Davey, Eoin Conlon, Dale Bowen
Subs not used: Stephen Gorman, James Kelly, Julian Flohr, Harry Rigby
Illies Celtic (Inishowen): Kevin McDermott, Oliver O’Donnell, Edward
McKinney, Aiden Doherty, Andrew McLoughlin, Paul Doherty (Edward Grant 97), Oisin Doherty (Enda McDermott 70), Paddy Doherty, Niall McDaid, Francie O’Donnell, Mark McDaid
Sub not used: Andrew McDermott

Peake
15/12/2004, 3:48 PM
The draw for the last 32 is been made to-nite in Tippeary i think. Will have to see tomorrow who entertains who in the next round. There are still some outstanding "Last 64" games to be played on the 2nd of January 2005.

joeSoap
16/12/2004, 10:50 AM
Pike Rovers at home to Ballymun United had to be the pick of the round.

the 12 th man
16/12/2004, 10:53 AM
Pike Rovers at home to Ballymun United had to be the pick of the round.

that should be a cracker as ballymun a'int bad either :)

joeSoap
16/12/2004, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I haven't seen or heard much about them this season other than they struggled 2-1 in the last round against weak opposition. Pike struggled too though, against Blessington.Should be a good crowd there, and I'd say a tough, physical game is on the cards as both teams are physical and strong.

Sheridan
16/12/2004, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I haven't seen or heard much about them this season other than they struggled 2-1 in the last round against weak opposition. Pike struggled too though, against Blessington.Should be a good crowd there, and I'd say a tough, physical game is on the cards as both teams are physical and strong.
Not seen my local team at all this season :o but I might travel down for this one to ease the withdrawal symptoms. Ballymun are only fourth in the AUL at the moment, albeit with an unbeaten record and a few games in hand on the teams above them. I'd make Pike Rovers favourites.

joeSoap
16/12/2004, 11:30 AM
Not seen my local team at all this season :o but I might travel down for this one to ease the withdrawal symptoms. Ballymun are only fourth in the AUL at the moment, albeit with an unbeaten record and a few games in hand on the teams above them. I'd make Pike Rovers favourites.
Oooh, the pressure is on.. :D . Yeah, I'd probably agree with you. But there'll only be a goal in it either way. Home advantage probably swings it in Pikes favour.
Christ...just had a thought...A crowd from Ballymun visiting Southill...sweet jesus.. :eek: :D

Sheridan
16/12/2004, 11:35 AM
Christ...just had a thought...A crowd from Ballymun visiting Southill...sweet jesus.. :eek: :D
I know. :eek:

I'll be avoiding them too, their real fans are proper scumbags who make me look like royalty.

Peake
16/12/2004, 4:08 PM
The full draw for the next round of the F.A.I. Junior Cup is as follows:

Pike and Ballymun tie of the round without doubt.

Long trip up to Mayo for the winners of Ballynanty and St. Michaels.

Leeside F.c. (cork) v Westport Utd (mayo) Or Tralee Dyns. (kerry)
Granville (limerick) V Waterford Crystal (waterford) Or East End Utd (kilkenny)
Trim Celtic (meath) V Baldoyle Utd (aul) Or Straide & Foxford (mayo)
Vec Fc (dublin) Or Maymount F.c. (cork) V Peake Villa F.c. (tipperary)
Aileach F.c. (donegal) V Galway Hibs (galway) Or Dean Celtic (kilkenny)
Newtown F.c. (clare) Or West Utd (galway) V Bridge Celtic (clare)
Dublin Bus F.c. (lsl) V Rosegreen Rangers (tipperary
Saltill Devons F.c. (galway) V Crettyard Utd (carlow) Or Markievicz Celtic (aul)
Ballinasloe Town (roscommon) V Carew Park (limerick)
St. Marys F.c. (cork) V Tramore F.c. (waterford)
Castlebar Celtic (mayo) V Ballynanty Rovers (limerick) Or St. Michaels (tipperary)
Bellurgan Utd (meath) V Oldbridge F.c. (tipperary)
St. Cormacs F.c. (wexford) V Killester United (dublin)
Pike Rovers (limerick) V Ballymun Utd (aul)
Dicey Reillys F.c. (sligo) V Park Rangers F.c. (limerick)
Evergreen F.c. (kilkenny) V Bridge United (kilkenny)

dasher
17/12/2004, 8:29 AM
Anybody any tips........

Leeside (Cork) v Westport or Tralee Dynamoes
Granville (LK) v Waterford Crystal or East End Utd (KK)
Trim Celtic (MH) v Baldoyle Utd (AUL) or Straide & Forford (Mayo)
V.E.C. (UCL) or Maymount (Cork) v Peakville FC (TS)
Aileach FC (DL) v Galway Hibs or Dean Celtic (KK)
Newtown (CL)or West Utd (Gal) v Bridge Celtic (CL)
Dublin Bus (LSL Sat) v Rosegreen Rangers (TS)
Salthill Devon v Crettyard Utd (CW) or Markievecz Cel (AUL)
Ballinasloe Town v Carew Park (LK)
St.Mary's (Cork) v Tramore FC
Castlebar Celtic v Ballynanty Rovers (LK) or St.Michaels (TS)
Bellurgan (Mh) v Old Bridge FC (TS)
St.Cormac's (WX) v Killester United (AUL)
Pike Rovers (LMK) v Ballymun United (AUL)
Dicey Reilly's FC (Sligo) v Park Rangers (LK)
Evergreen FC (KK) v Bridge United (KK)

joeSoap
17/12/2004, 8:33 AM
Of the Limerick sides playing, I'd fancy Pike and Carew Park to go through. If Ballynanty Rovers beat St. Michaels(which I doubt) they should also advance. Granville will be knocked out, I'd say even though I don't know a lot about their opposition, Granville are poor.Park Rangers will also lose I feel.

joeSoap
17/12/2004, 11:00 AM
Sincerest apologies on my lack of national junior soccer knowledge.. :D

Carew aren't a bad side when it all falls together and I feel that they will advance . The Connaught Junior Cup doesn't strike me as being the toughest competition to win (fair play to them for doing so though) and I'd say Carews experience in playing against the likes of Pike, the View and the Boro will stand far better to them.

I'd Bet Anyone E50 That Balla Will Beat The View ! Any Takers ?
That was your last prediction on this MB btw.... :D :D

dasher
17/12/2004, 12:40 PM
St. Cormacs F.c. (wexford) V Killester United (dublin)
anyone know anything about either of these 2
i know killester won premier A last year but ive never seen them advance in the junior cup.

Supersub
17/12/2004, 2:48 PM
Of the Limerick sides playing, I'd fancy Pike and Carew Park to go through. If Ballynanty Rovers beat St. Michaels(which I doubt) they should also advance. Granville will be knocked out, I'd say even though I don't know a lot about their opposition, Granville are poor.Park Rangers will also lose I feel.

Think that Pike will feel the loss of their suspended players against Ballymun. They will have their work cut out to go through. Granville will be happy to have got this far but do not see them overcoming Wat Crys(if they get thru).
Carew Park will not relish the trip west but will fancy their chances. Balla are not the same team as last year and will not survive their St michaels test. The only team guaranteed of their place in the last 16 would appear to be Park who are quietly getting the job done without anyone noticing !!! With a little luck they could go a long way !!

Sheridan
20/12/2004, 2:56 PM
Think that Pike will feel the loss of their suspended players against Ballymun.
The game may not take place. Ballymun's defeated opponents in the previous round, Bath Rangers, have lodged an appeal based on the possibility that the Mun fielded an ineligible player. :(

guvnor
20/12/2004, 6:33 PM
As much as i would love to see a lesser well known team like Bath Rangers progress, I feel Pike are a team there for the taking and a meeting with Ballymun would end the hopes of one of the "FAVOURITES" - there is a lot of teams who are going along quietly who arent getting talked up much - There is a surprise winner this year I think! They will be from Limerick and it wont be Pike!

clownboy
21/12/2004, 7:09 AM
What about Killester ??They won the aul premier last year and the Leinster Junior the year befor ...surely they are in with a chance

Van The Man
21/12/2004, 8:45 AM
What kind of objection do Carrick have in to the Junior Council ? Can they not take their beating and let it be like the other 600 odd clubs who have fallen out of this competition.

Maymount might be the quite team in this. They have to get over VEC first and then entertain Peake Villa who were semi-finalists in 2001.

What are Peake Villa like this year ?

clownboy
21/12/2004, 10:59 AM
Carrick have an appeal in against the player who scored both goals foR Crystal..He played LOI this year with Kilkenny so therefor he was illegal...I would say that they will win the objection and get back in...rules are rules...dont know much about Peakevilla ...saw them in the semi final in 2001 against the view and went 2-0 in the first half only to lose 3-2 so maybe they have got a bit more experienced and will do well...They had a very young team in 2001 ...Tommy Gaynor was there manager if i remember correctly

joeSoap
21/12/2004, 12:07 PM
The game may not take place. Ballymun's defeated opponents in the previous round, Bath Rangers, have lodged an appeal based on the possibility that the Mun fielded an ineligible player. :(
Any news on this?? :confused:

Sheridan
21/12/2004, 12:11 PM
Any news on this?? :confused:
All I've heard since is that Ballymun may have been fined without receiving any further sanction, and that there may be a protest from Pike's previous opponents too?? :confused: All conjecture at this stage, nothing confirmed.

Supersub
22/12/2004, 4:21 PM
When you look at the last 32(appeals included!!) matches it would seem that there will be a stronger last 16 than you would envisage given the fact that everyone is bemoaning the fact that all the top teams are gone.

All the teams that have been mentioned in the last few posts would have had a chance in previous years and I think that it will be a tough win for whoever comes out on top this year ...

The Limerick teams Pike , Balla and indeed Park will think they can go a long way but once the last 16 arrive I do not expect there will be many weak teams left !

thecorner
23/12/2004, 3:22 AM
Anybody any tips........

Leeside (Cork) v Westport or Tralee Dynamoes

played with leeside for a couple of years

very young side coming through now with 2 or 3 already in the oscar traynor aul panel

joeSoap
23/12/2004, 7:57 AM
played with leeside for a couple of years
And they're a much worse off outfit without you in in I'll bet !! :D