PDA

View Full Version : Worst ever sponsorship on the front of a jersey

liam88
05/08/2004, 11:18 AM
I know a lot of you are going to be coming up with Eircom for the national team but what about some really tragic club sponsors that are embaressing/apalling to be wearing.
I thought 'ty' (the beanie baby company) sponsoring Portsmouth in England was pretty tragic-a whopping great heart on the front of every jersey :rolleyes:
IFA sponsoring lumfield is a bit odd/bais to ;)

Dodge
05/08/2004, 11:57 AM
Celtic fans were a bit upset about the Ford car dealership Peoples sponsoring them...

tiktok
05/08/2004, 12:20 PM
was it Oxford who were sponsored by 'Wang' the computer firm, that was brutal and left them open for jokes.

sylvo
05/08/2004, 2:26 PM
Kildare County have got ''Celbridge soccer park'' plastered across the front of our jersey's.

adamcarr
05/08/2004, 2:34 PM
Sheffield Wednesday had Chupa Chups

max power
05/08/2004, 2:35 PM
drogs have no one :D

drinkfeckarse
05/08/2004, 3:17 PM
Siemens on the Madrid and Lazio jerseys...childish humour I know but I can't help it :D

Rathfarnham Utd
05/08/2004, 3:25 PM
What about West Ham and Dr. Martens? A match made in heaven surely?!

monutdfc
05/08/2004, 6:25 PM
Is Crystal Palace and Virgin just too obvious?

eoinh
05/08/2004, 8:42 PM
Limerick used to have Kentucky Fried Chicken (as had the league).

They've been fowl ever since.

Dodge
06/08/2004, 10:34 AM
That was down to Orange lettering & Watford's claim they're 'The peepil' :rolleyes: .........best was probably B-right-on,when sponsored by 'Nobo'.....v.apt for that bunch!
No, it was down to the combination of ford and people's logos being red, white and blue....

Pat O' Banton
06/08/2004, 1:55 PM
And Orange Lettering.....on the Hoops......

Have actually heard both reasons given by various different people, have still got the top and must say that it looks suspisiously red white and blue. The only thing that people would agree on is that they weren't wearing the shirt.

Arsenal also had Sega on their kit a couple of seasons back, which is apparently Italian for something slightly rude :eek: (the pleasuring of ones self to be more explict) or was this just an urban myth?

Didn't Spurs have Pony emblazoned across their top, which in London is amusing as 'Pony and trap' is ryming slang for crap. How appropriate :D

Dodge
06/08/2004, 2:00 PM
And Orange Lettering.....on the Hoops......
Which, if true, had nothing to do with the sponsor (the reason for the thread)

The Sponsor's logo was red, white and blue...

Bowsy
06/08/2004, 2:11 PM
H
Arsenal also had Sega on their kit a couple of seasons back, which is apparently Italian for something slightly rude :eek: (the pleasuring of ones self to be more explict) or was this just an urban myth?

Much like the release of the Mitsubishi Pajero in Spain. Wouldn't get too many people wanting to buy a new top of the range W*nker.

Not a football team but always found SPL refs being sponsored by Specsavers quite ironic.

Dodge
06/08/2004, 2:28 PM
Was W.Ham.......equally true.....

As for "Peoples' Ford"......letters DEFINITELY ORANGE.....Logo never made shirts for obvious reasons :rolleyes: :eek:
Well mine was red....

EDIT: One on Ebay, open to interpretation (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10366&item=5113831089&rd=1#ebayphotohosting)

And the worst of all time had to be clydebank being sponsored by Wet Wet Wet

liam88
06/08/2004, 3:46 PM
Well mine was red....

Dodge is it me or have you been keeping your Luton affiliations a bit hish hush ;)

Pat mate-I heard that one to and asked my Italian mate (who now plays for Aldershot-just thought i'd throw that one in) what 'Sega' meant..........can't remember exactly but it's something completly different :eek:

Dodge
06/08/2004, 4:15 PM
Dodge is it me or have you been keeping your Luton affiliations a bit hish hush ;)
Used to have acouple fo Celtic jersies. Even went to the odd game.

Grew up though...

liam88
06/08/2004, 5:03 PM
Used to have acouple fo Celtic jersies. Even went to the odd game.

Grew up though...

Good save Dodge but the cat's out of the bag now, Hail! Hail! ;)

Closed Account 2
07/08/2004, 8:43 AM
The Soviet Union always had CCCP across the front of their jersies. :D

It is CCCP in the Cyrillic Alphabet, as used by Russians, Bulgarians and Serbs. It stands for Союз Советских Социалистических Республик, but in Latin reads something like Soy-z Sovetskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respuyblik so in the Latin alphabet it is SSSR.

If you go to Russia or most places in the FSU and say CCCP people wont understand, is you say USSR some might, but everyone over 12 knows the term SSSR. The "c" and "p" are false friends in cyrillic, also "b" (pronounced "v"), "x" (pronounced kh), "и" (pronounced i/e, not n), "л" (pronounced "l") which makes it hard to learn and annoying to read.

These words show how tricky it can be at first:-

Нови Сад - Novi Sad
Ирландия - Ireland (Irlandija)
Пиво - Beer (Pivo)

But I always thought the Soviet Union's shirts were good. ;)

Closed Account 2
07/08/2004, 11:02 PM
Why wait till then, it would be ok for the game vs Azerbaijan as that used to be a part of the Soviet Union. :D :D

That could be an interesting tie... the Azeris are "Turkic" people who are very similar to Turks and feel affinity with them. The police in that part of the Caucuses are not most tolerant in the world and if England "fans" try to run amock and lay siege to Baku they'll lock em up without delay.

liam88
07/08/2004, 11:31 PM
That could be an interesting tie... the Azeris are "Turkic" people who are very similar to Turks and feel affinity with them. The police in that part of the Caucuses are not most tolerant in the world and if England "fans" try to run amock and lay siege to Baku they'll lock em up without delay.
Hey sopudns interestin-will be keeping an eye on the news for this one.......seem's like the Ingurlands most hated moved from us, to the Germans and now the Turks so all good craic ey? :rolleyes:

lopez
08/08/2004, 11:03 AM
Much like the release of the Mitsubishi Pajero in Spain. Wouldn't get too many people wanting to buy a new top of the range W*nker.I've never heard the word used in Spain (or by my mother :eek: ), although I do know that the word for 'w*nk' is the same as for straw: Paja. I was in some fast food joint in Spain and after ordering the food and drink, the pretty young lady said to me: 'Quieres una paja.' I was like gobsmacked for a minute until the blushing young girl trying not to laugh was waving a straw wround in my face. :D

the 12 th man
08/08/2004, 4:53 PM
I, although I do know that the word for 'w*nk' is the same as for straw: Paja. I was in some fast food joint in Spain and after ordering the food and drink, the pretty young lady said to me: 'Quieres una paja.' I was like gobsmacked for a minute until the blushing young girl trying not to laugh was waving a straw wround in my face. :D

and what were you waving around in front of her face ? :D

lopez
08/08/2004, 6:21 PM
and what were you waving around in front of her face ? :DMy wee straw. :eek:

Dodge
09/08/2004, 10:14 AM
You mean you wanted to go to see Pats instead :eek: :rolleyes: :D

One day the Gate'll be back......and again be kings of the West side ;)
no, no... Pats were always first

ccfcman
10/08/2004, 8:48 AM
the irony of goodyear sponsering ramblers

ccfcman
11/08/2004, 10:13 AM
i hate the skull and cross bones on ucc gear,i know its not the sponsors but i think it looks awful

Troy.McClure
11/08/2004, 2:14 PM
I've never heard the word used in Spain (or by my mother :eek:

Ive been told that it does mean w@nker by a spanish person and had it confermed by another. I'll have to remember that one about the straw though, wouldnt want to get confused :D

RE Athletico, they are sponcered by Universal or Warner Bros (or one of those). AFIK they change their shirt sponcer every month for the latest movie thats being released. Those shirts will be worth a few Id say.

lopez
11/08/2004, 11:21 PM
Ive been told that it does mean w@nker by a spanish person and had it confermed by another. I'll have to remember that one about the straw though, wouldnt want to get confused :DAren't you the bloke from such informative language posts as 'Learn to swear in Swahili' and 'Vock Ov: German cursing for beginners.' :D Cheers hombre. We're talking about a very delicate aspect of Spanish culture here. I can't ask my mother about it. :eek: I have to consult a dictionary - the concise Oxford is my backup in these cases - and it isn't in there. But it certainly sounds plausible. Remember to get it right or else you might call someone a bird (pajaro).:D That's a true story about the straw in the fast food gaff with my family looking on from the table just behind. :o

Pauro 76
17/08/2004, 10:01 AM
& the Wov-les :eek: .........as well as Doritos ;) .....will explain post-Saturday!

Wolves, Doritos.
Wasnt there a clever wording thing for that.

DIVISION
ONE
RUBBISH
IN
TATTY
ORANGE
SHIRTS

or should that now be "Championship Rubbish..." :confused:

noby
17/08/2004, 3:05 PM
And the worst of all time had to be clydebank being sponsored by Wet Wet Wet

At least Margate had the more creditable Bad Manners (although, probably only available in XXXXL)

eamoss
17/08/2004, 3:36 PM
Dundalk had 'Dundalk Cabs' was not bad when you think of the amount of money they gave us for a one year deal think it was €40,000 or €60,000. Then we had 'Oscar's Bar' which was really bad gave us only €8,000. Thank god we have a good one now for 3 seasons Garnbeg(Radisson for the next 2 seasons)!

anto eile
18/08/2004, 12:37 PM
droghedas jersey from 3 or 4 years ago had a huge "mcdonalds drogheda" logo on the front. really ugly big yellow and red golden arch. looked ****e.
always found the gateau sponsor to be amusing on the gypos jersey as it had a green shamrock on it.

then youve got deportivo wanka from perú, with a huge D. WANKA emblazoned across the front of their shirt. and also the young boys bern jersey with "Wankdorf" on the front.

necaxa are sponsored by "bimbo" and UNAM pumas are sponsored by banamex with a huge wierd picture of a pumas face taking up the whole front of their shirt

i find it ironic that norn irons jersey is made by patrick given the saint by the same name is the patron saint of ireland

rushden and diamonds are also sponsored by dr martens

paja means straw and also to masturbate. pajarse la paja- w@nk oneself.paja is also a colloquialism for to tell lies or waffle.and definitely pajero,(or pajera) does mean w@nker in slang