PDA

View Full Version : Most problematic position

Greenbod
04/08/2004, 11:18 AM
What do you think is our most problematic position at present. I think it's at left back where neither O'Shea nor Harte (very little between them) inspire much confidence defensively, particularly with Duff in front of them.

Rathfarnham Utd
04/08/2004, 11:23 AM
What about the age old problem...up front?

eirebhoy
04/08/2004, 11:25 AM
Definitely Keane's partner up front. Morrison and Lee are the only players Keane is suited to playing with and they don't exactly set the world alight. I have a lot more confidence in O'Shea after seeing him in pre-season, he has played in 3/4 positions in the last 2 weeks and never looked out of place.

Pat O' Banton
04/08/2004, 11:35 AM
left back, with Keane and Duff and when he is playing well Morrison we always have chance of scoring (FFS even Holland can pitch in with few goals in a campaign.) The lack of a decent defensive left back has cost us several times.

only1kilbane
04/08/2004, 11:39 AM
wouldnt be worrying about left back at all . To me one bad season does not make O shea a bad player . He has looked good in pre season and with carr and finnan on the right we could always move one of them over to the left . WE really need someone to make the position alongside robbie theres as clinton still isnt the part

Greenbod
04/08/2004, 11:41 AM
= To me one bad season does not make O shea a bad player .

Yes, but it's the lack of any good season that's worrying!

DolansWaistcoat
04/08/2004, 11:52 AM

Stop the lights biy,what are ya on about.O'Shea was brilliant his first year in the united team.He has only played two full seasons and last year he had a dip which a lot of players have in their second year in the prem.

Peadar
04/08/2004, 11:54 AM
What about the age old problem...up front?

We only need to worry about scoring lots of goals if we're leaking lots of goals. With a good defence keeping clean sheets we only need one goal a game to win. I couldn't care less where that goal comes from.

O'Shea was brilliant his first year in the united team.

Few of us care what O'Shea does for Man Yoo.
It's his failure to raise his game at International level that troubles us.

Bowsy
04/08/2004, 11:57 AM

O'Shea has had 2 full seasons. One good, and one very average. People are very quick to right of a very young player with a lot of potential. True, he hasn't played well for Ireland but he's got the talent to come good for Ireland. Wouldn't worry about full back positions provided we never have to see Maybury in an Ireland shirt again.

Most problematic position for me has to be Robbie's partner or lack of. I like Clinton and have defended him on a number of occassions but like everybody else want someone with true international class to emerge. Clinton, although our best option, hasn't got it.

Greenbod
04/08/2004, 11:59 AM
Stop the lights biy,what are ya on about.O'Shea was brilliant his first year in the united team.He has only played two full seasons and last year he had a dip which a lot of players have in their second year in the prem.

Even in his first year, while sometimes eye-catching going forward his defensive abilities left a lot to be desired. This defensive frailty has continued and I think even Ferguson has acknowledged that with his team selections.

Peadar
04/08/2004, 12:02 PM
Hey, surely playing great for Man Yoo and crap for Ireland absolves you of all sins, no? ;)

Depends on your "religion" I suppose ;)
It's more difficult to forgive certain sins in some religions!

gspain
04/08/2004, 1:35 PM
O'Shea did very well for us too early on. He had a poor season last time out for club and country. Taggart also went out and spent 7 million on a left back - not good. Still he has the talent to come back and could potentially play in mdfield or centre half.

We are very weak up front with Robbie injured and even when fit still need a partner for him. That would be my biggest concern. Harte will benefit from Spanish football and we really miss his delivery on free kicks and corners. I'd still play O'Shea ahead of him though.

Fr. Murphy
04/08/2004, 1:45 PM
Has anybody heard how harte has been playing in their pre season games? i went onto the levante ud site but my gringo ain't to good and couldnt understand a single word.

Peadar
04/08/2004, 1:47 PM
couldnt understand a single word.

Try this (http://babelfish.altavista.com/) to see if it's any help.

1MickCollins
04/08/2004, 2:11 PM
Harte can't defend to save his life, O'Shea is safe at LB.

Center back is maybe a cause for worry with Cunningham and Breen getting on a bit, O'Brien has staked his claim but it would be nice if someone else like Dunne stepped up a gear and provided real competition.

Target man/Robbie partner is a real problem area and holding us back.

carnstien
04/08/2004, 3:16 PM
Left back, ha ha ha. O'Shea is solid at left back, Finnan can play there very well and in a desperate situation Kilbane can even cover there. I wouldn't even consider Harte, but we have plenty of options at left back.

Our most problematic position is obviously up front. There isn't a top class player to partner Robbie, whereas there is in virtually every other position.

Bowsy
04/08/2004, 3:39 PM
Has anybody heard how harte has been playing in their pre season games? i went onto the levante ud site but my gringo ain't to good and couldnt understand a single word.

According to the Levante site they played last night but Harte was one of a large group of players including Mjallby rested by Schuster to recover from injury and Copa America action. Dreadful website.
Reports saying they want to sign Shearer knocking about today.

Paulie
04/08/2004, 4:51 PM
Our most problematic position is obviously up front. There isn't a top class player to partner Robbie, whereas there is in virtually every other position.

While I agree that our most problematic position is up front I also feel that we are short of real quality cover at the centre half position. It's sad to say, but if Kenny got himself injured, even at this stage of his career, it would be a real concern for us as the lack of quality of the players available to take his place is there for all to see (the fact that breen would probably be the best replacement says it all). With regard to the above statement referring to top class cover for every position except centre forward, if this is the case it should be no hassle to you to name 2 top quality starting 11's from the pool of players available to us.....I wish.

SÓC
05/08/2004, 2:52 PM
Right side of midfield?

Nobody has really nailed down that spot yet

Peadar
05/08/2004, 3:38 PM
Right side of midfield?
Graham Barrett deserves a shot at it after his Unity Cup efforts.

Bowsy
05/08/2004, 3:50 PM
Graham Barrett deserves a shot at it after his Unity Cup efforts.

Was superb against the Dutch too.

Peadar
05/08/2004, 4:06 PM
Was superb against the Dutch too.

Yeah, sorry, I merged that into the Unity Cup in my mind.
A lot of fixtures around the same time.
The lad deserves the chance to make the position his.

pineapple stu
05/08/2004, 6:29 PM
Tony Cascarino was a bit of a donkey (to be fair! ;) ) before moving to the continent, where he became a far more rounded and better player. Wonder if anything similar will happen to Harte? The change could do him a lot of good.

Slash/ED
05/08/2004, 10:41 PM
Barrett can't get a game for Coventry. If we're even considering starting players of that calibre we may aswell give up.

1MickCollins
06/08/2004, 1:28 AM
Barrett can't get a game for Coventry. If we're even considering starting players of that calibre we may aswell give up.

New manager this season, Eric Black is out and the one and only Pee Reid is in. Clean slate for Barrett and Reid has already said positive things aboutboth Doyle & Barrett.

Peadar
06/08/2004, 8:25 AM
Barrett can't get a game for Coventry.

He played for us at the end of the season and did well.
There is going to be very little difference between players who are and are not getting their game straight away after the closed season.
He has every chance of getting his game in the new season.

Bowsy
06/08/2004, 8:55 AM

It was Barrett's first season. Been mixed but he was one of our top performers in the last few friendly games. He's still got to prove himself but so do Miller and Reid.

thejollyrodger
06/08/2004, 9:26 AM
Few of us care what O'Shea does for Man Yoo.
It's his failure to raise his game at International level that troubles us.

I blame Mc Carthy for not bringing him out with us to the World Cup in Japan :mad:

Tony Cascarino was a bit of a donkey (to be fair! ) before moving to the continent, where he became a far more rounded and better player. Wonder if anything similar will happen to Harte? The change could do him a lot of good.

Lets not get carried away, this is Ian Harte were talking about : P

Major problem I see in the Irish set up is up front, we only have Keane and when he is injured were in serious trouble !!

Closed Account 2
09/08/2004, 2:45 AM
Alan Lee scored a 20 yard corker for Blueturds (Cardiff) the other day. I think he could do a job for us in Robbie's absence.

macdermesser
09/08/2004, 7:38 AM
PLayed on the right of midfield for Celtic yesterday and apparently impressed in the position during the US tour thing. Wonder would it have been worth trying him out there for the Bulgaria game. On one hand if you are good enough, age doesn't matter .. but perhaps he needs a full season or half a season before playing him..