PDA

View Full Version : North-South cup....NO CITY?!

Pablo
04/08/2004, 1:26 AM
Heard a rumour tonight that City will not be in this competition and that it will be last years league Winners, runners up and the cup winners i.e Shels, Bohs and Longford

not a good format IMO. the old top four was the way to go. 3 each north and south is a bit weird. Still full details this morning see here (http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/08/03/story160005.html)

adamcarr
04/08/2004, 1:42 AM
........ :mad:

thecorner
04/08/2004, 1:48 AM
years league Winners, runners up and the cup winners i.e Shels, Bohs and Longford

here (http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/08/03/story160005.html)

big crowd pullers :rolleyes: :o

Flynninio
04/08/2004, 7:47 AM
would love to get linfield down the cross.atmosphere be unreal.
city would destroy them...........

tiktok
04/08/2004, 7:56 AM
Hooo.... and Ray..... :D

Granted it could have been a money spinner, and from that point of view I hope Longford win it, but it's on next April, do we need the distraction. To be honest i don't know what the FAI are playing at...

Last Season, Three week break for the Special Olympics, end of season fixture chaos. This Season, Half way through the season there's arguments already about fixtures from teams in European competition.
So next season they decide to add to the problem of Euro fixtures by taking away three teams for a chunk of time at the start of the league. Bonkers.

NorthoftheLee
04/08/2004, 8:15 AM
I'd be delighted if City weren't in it......waste of time if you ask me.....the first one is in march next year and then they are playing it in November from then on....just what is needed near the title run in......I heard it was the top 4 from the north v the top 4 from the eL. Avoid the whole thing would be best IMO...

namloc
04/08/2004, 9:00 AM
I think city need to be involved in something like this. It would raise the profile of the club hugely especially when the games are to be televised live. If City are really a club with big ambitions they should definitely be pushing for a place in this. Imagine the good press if we beat linfield at the 'Cross!!!! Not to mention the prize money on offer!!

Peadar
04/08/2004, 9:03 AM
it will be last years league Winners, runners up and the cup winners i.e Shels, Bohs and Longford

Surely it will be this years league winners, runners up and cup winners?

Peadar
04/08/2004, 9:09 AM
If this comes in then the League Cup should be totally scrapped.

Yes, I hate that competition but what about the likes of St. Pat's and Longford who like the League Cup? What will they play in?
The "Those Who Didn't Qualify For Anything" Cup? :D

Dodge
04/08/2004, 10:20 AM
I heard it was the four european qualifiers but the first edition would be in April nexy year so it'd those who qualify from this season (meaning nobody knows who yet...)

Peadar
04/08/2004, 10:22 AM
(meaning nobody knows who yet...)

Of course we do.
Cork City
Shels
Bohs
and UCD from the Cup. :D
Welcome back Dodge ;)

namloc
04/08/2004, 10:25 AM
anyone know what time the press conference is on this morning about the north-south cup?

Ruairi
04/08/2004, 10:27 AM
10 am apparantley, but there's been no word yet

namloc
04/08/2004, 10:28 AM
It says here that the competition may start later this month!!!

:eek: this month!!!! FIXTURE PILE UP!!!

Dodge
04/08/2004, 10:36 AM
Welcome back Dodge ;)
Never went away...

Just thought in the aftermath of Nantes and UCD anything I'd say would be answered with some jackeen reference...

Now remember Peader the game this Friday is an away game for Cork,

AWAY (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=14868)

:D

tiktok
04/08/2004, 10:49 AM

The official press release says next april for the 'setanta cup'

namloc
04/08/2004, 10:55 AM
Setanta Cup launched

The FAI and the IFA today announced an All Ireland Club tournament, scheduled to be played for the first time in April 2005.
A sponsorship deal has been done with Setanta Sports for four years, which will also include television coverage of the games.
The tournament will consist of three teams each from the South and the North of Ireland. Teams will be played in two groups of three with each team playing four games, two home and two away. The winners of each group will play each other in the final, although it has not yet been confirmed whether that will be a one-off game or a two-legged affair.
Qualification for the competition will take the same format as qualification for European competition. The winners and runners up as well as the premier cup competition winners will qualify from each jurisdiction. In the event that the cup winners also occupy the top two league places, the third placed team will qualify.
Each group will have a split of two from one country and one from the other.
Setanta Sports will have cameras at all thirteen games with a minimum of ten to be screened live.
Details of the sponsorship package over four years are that €1.6 million is coming in for the competition and €1.3 million of that will form prize money. The exact breakdown of the prize money has not been finalized and could change from year to year but there will be sufficient incentive for all competing teams.
The competition will initially be played in April but the FAI's CEO Fran Rooney stated that this could change for subsequent years and that playing around November could help build the atmosphere under floodlights.
On the question of security Rooney stated "there are no concerns over security" after checking with both the gardai and the IFA.
Niall Cogley, Setanta's Chief Executive confirmed that the games will be shown on the new Setanta Sports channel. The channel is subscription based and is part of all NTL customer's packages. He also said that they were "close to finalizing a deal with Sky Digital", and are in discussions with Chrous.
As former head of RTE Sport, Niall Cogley faced some questioning over that channels lack of interest in the domestic game. He refuted the claim that RTE were against visiting certain venues and said it was more likely they would steer away from venues that would have been less likely to have good attendances. When asked about the possibility of Setanta covering either of the two domestic leagues he answered "we're already talking to the FAI", but wouldn't be drawn on how far the discussions had advanced.
Shelbourne's Ollie Byrne raised the issue that a number of clubs feel games should be an event and built up and hyped as such by the broadcaster. Fran Rooney's response to that was that he had the same concerns and that it was a crucial area of this deal.

Credit: http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=1951

Peadar
04/08/2004, 10:55 AM
Now remember Peader the game this Friday is an away game for Cork, :D

Every game is an "away" game for me now Dodge.
Check out my location.

pete
04/08/2004, 11:02 AM
1.3m sponsorship over 4 years would mean 55k prize money per team if was split evenly. AFAIK winning the eL Premier won't even make a team that money?

Bit strange having 3 teams per group as will mean 1 eL team stuck with 2 IL & visa versa.

I'm sure this may also be related to the FAIs attempts to merge with the eL & if this a sign of things to come then its all good.

Pablo
04/08/2004, 11:22 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/3534200.stm

"There is a lot of support for the Eircom League clubs from the Football Association of Ireland and a lot of government money goes in.

"Hopefully, this could be kickstart for the same type of financial backing up here"

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont think so Mr Linfield man!

ThaddyQuill
04/08/2004, 11:26 AM
Overall it seems like a good idea, decent prize money and more TV coverage than the EL has gotten over the last few years. I think they will fiddle around with the format over the years, maybe increase to 8 teams. People are talking about a fixture pile-up but from next year we will only have 33 league games so we wont be playing any more matches than we are now.

Peadar
04/08/2004, 11:34 AM
Bit strange having 3 teams per group as will mean 1 eL team stuck with 2 IL
Surely that's an unfair advantage to the eL team?
In the other group you'd have to play another decent team.

patsh
04/08/2004, 11:34 AM
Well it's more important than ever to finish in the top 2 now. We can't win the cup, so every game has to be treated like a Euro game from now on. This competition would get the crowds out the Cross, more bobs for us, prizemoney and a chance to visit our neighbours!

I have to say though that if City don't get to play in this, (and obviously if we are not top two, we won't), then the best supported team on the island aren't in it, and Cogley used poor attendances as his/RTE's excuse for not going to certain grounds. We simply MUST get a place in this.

namloc
04/08/2004, 11:45 AM
agree with patsh. its very important that city get into this competition to show everyone what we are made of and the wonderful support we can generate. the drive for second place must begin on friday with a win over pats.

pete
04/08/2004, 11:53 AM
Entry for any competition like this has to be based on merit! If you don't finish high enough in the league then you have no right to partake.

Would it make sense that the 3 teams qualifying for this would not enter the eL league cup?

thecorner
04/08/2004, 12:17 PM
live on setanta sports

correct me if im wrong but isnt that station pay-per-view

cant see many bar-stoolers paying for that

Macy
04/08/2004, 12:21 PM
I have to say though that if City don't get to play in this, (and obviously if we are not top two, we won't), then the best supported team on the island aren't in it, and Cogley used poor attendances as his/RTE's excuse for not going to certain grounds. We simply MUST get a place in this.
Thats ridiculous arguement, sure put Rovers in it as they're the most famous name. :rolleyes: If you lot are as good as you claim, you'll qualify.

Anyone notice that if the Cup winners have already qualified for Europe the Setanta Cup place goes to third in the league, however the runner up currently (and no mention of a change) goes into the UEFA as things currently stand... Why not use the same system as the European places?

Macy
04/08/2004, 12:22 PM
live on setanta sports

correct me if im wrong but isnt that station pay-per-view

cant see many bar-stoolers paying for that
Free on NTL, €10 a month on Sky (with the SPL, Premiership (15 Saturday games) and Celtic league Rugby). Most bar stoolers probably already subscribed by then...

pete
04/08/2004, 12:29 PM
Anyone notice that if the Cup winners have already qualified for Europe the Setanta Cup place goes to third in the league, however the runner up currently (and no mention of a change) goes into the UEFA as things currently stand... Why not use the same system as the European places?

I certainly wouldn't disagree with changing to that as won't take any of the "glamour" of the FAI from small teams or non-leaguers. We need the best teams in Europe & league is most consistent gauge of that.

patsh
04/08/2004, 12:48 PM
Thats ridiculous arguement, sure put Rovers in it as they're the most famous name.:rolleyes:
I should have known there would be someone who would get the wrong end of the stick, and of course it had to be you....
Cogley stated that the reason why RTE had poor coverage of the eL had a lot to do with poor attendances at some grounds. Based on that argument, City should be in the competition.
As I said in my post, if we don'tfinish in the top two, we don't get into the competition. NOWHERE did I claim that City should get a place based on attendance.
Now read posts properly, before you make "ridiculous" arguments or statements.....:rolleyes:

Macy
04/08/2004, 12:58 PM
I certainly wouldn't disagree with changing to that as won't take any of the "glamour" of the FAI from small teams or non-leaguers. We need the best teams in Europe & league is most consistent gauge of that.
Wasn't necessarily saying which way it should be, but it should be the same for both. However, the UEFA cup place for the FAI Cup came about when the Cup Winners Cup was scraped. In every league where a double was done, the losing finalist went into the Cup Winners Cup (didn't apply if it was a UEFA Cup qualifier who won the cup, as the Cup Winners Cup took precendent.)

In fairness Patsh, I wasn't particularly trying to have a dig, but I reckon you could've phrased that second paragraph a bit better "We MUST get a place in it"... :p

btw Another el General thread in the Cork forum :rolleyes:

patsh
04/08/2004, 2:03 PM
In fairness Patsh, I wasn't particularly trying to have a dig, but I reckon you could've phrased that second paragraph a bit better "We MUST get a place in it"... :p Fair enough, but the MUST referred to a must for City to gain entry to this cup.

btw Another el General thread in the Cork forum :rolleyes:Well don't you think we can have a discussion about a competition from a City point of view?..:confused:

sullanefc
04/08/2004, 10:37 PM
With Shels winning tonight and look set to make a mint from their Euro exploits, its vital that City qualify for this competition with all the money being thrown at it. We must get 2nd in the league.

League cup should be scrapped as well. It'll be treated like an U21 game for teams in Europe and Setanta Cup.