PDA

View Full Version : Noel Spillane

harry crumb
03/08/2004, 11:34 PM
He loves to pat himself on the back doesn't he?

After Cork lost against nantes he was on Red FM saying how HE had predicted Cork would go out against a superior side.

Then in todays Echo he repeatedly referred to how he recommended Dolan should have signed Declam "Fabio" O'Brien last year.

Éanna
03/08/2004, 11:37 PM
I bet he hates having to fit bits and pieces of actual reports on matches into his weekly vendetta columns in the Echo. The man is a joke. He has his favourites and he plugs them every chance he gets :rolleyes:

Pablo
04/08/2004, 12:56 AM
To be honest what really got to me was the "league is over for city" type references all through his articles.

theres odd points left for god sake! :rolleyes:

niamh
04/08/2004, 9:24 AM
Would these be the same fans that love him soooo much?!

Colm
04/08/2004, 10:58 AM
what gets me about him is the fact he never mentions the supporters and how they sing their hearts out home or away, win or lose.

Yeah that p!sses me off aswell. City now have a very sizable hardcore support who travel to every away game in Ireland (and Europe) and bring loads of colour and noise everywhere yet this magnificent support usually goes unnoticed in the press.

Pablo
04/08/2004, 11:37 AM
He gets abuse cause of his ridiculous articles. e.g. the shed is racist. ****

Eric
04/08/2004, 2:03 PM
The support does get mentioned in most reports in the papers. The reporters are there to give a report on the match itself so you can't be expecting a big write up on the fans every game.

If it's a case that a reporter has to write about the fans in order to fill his report then it wouldn't say much about the standard of matches would it??? :rolleyes:

Éanna
04/08/2004, 7:14 PM
If it's a case that a reporter has to write about the fans in order to fill his report then it wouldn't say much about the standard of matches would it??? :rolleyes:
so instead he fills it full of rumours and bull**** about who he would have played and who he would have signed :rolleyes:

Eric
06/08/2004, 12:06 PM
I'm not sticking up for his articles at all, just saying that the fans don't have to get a mention at every game!!! :rolleyes:

pete
06/08/2004, 12:08 PM
When he not writting about City what else does Spillane write about? Is he generally bad or just ignorant about city?

Counting Crow
07/08/2004, 9:59 AM
NOTE TO SPILLANE:
Earlier last week you said our season was over as a result of out loss to Drogs. Funny how the only reporter in the country to think that is yourself ( even the Dublin reporters are saying we are still in the hunt ).....strange that!

We have 3 games on Drogs and 1 still on $hell$.........and, whisper this, they both have to come to The Cross in the next few weeks.

We had only just started into the second half of the season when you wrote this tripe.

Do us a favor and concentrate on "YOUR CLUB CHELSEA" (quote from the Big Red Bench last year ) and leave the City reporting to the likes of Conor George, Bill George and even the Dublin hacks.....at least they have some sense of reality.

The Donie Forde
07/08/2004, 11:56 AM
NOTE TO SPILLANE:

Do us a favor and leave the City reporting to the likes of Conor George.....at least they have some sense of reality.

This is a joke, right? Isn't it? Have I missed something? Conor George!! Tell me it's a joke - I need some sense of reality myself here...

Donie

harry crumb
08/08/2004, 1:30 AM
Mr. Splillane said that Dolan's comment, that, 6 out of 9 points is championship form is wrong. Spillane said that Dolan was wrong and that 9/9 would be championship form.

But if you do the maths...

Shels have played 21 games and are on 41 points which is an average of 1.95 points a game.

Corks tally of 6 points out of 9 is an average of 2 points a game would leave them on 42 points after 21 games.

So it would be championship form actually Mr. Spillane.

Fair_play_boy
08/08/2004, 8:29 AM
I thought that the anti-Noel Spillane stuff on Foot.ie was so bad that there were one or two people stirring it a bit. Looking back over posts in a couple of threads, the knives seem to have been out for a good while, and honestly I didn't think he was that bad a journalist.
Then I heard his interview on Thursday evening last on Red FM. He talked about City's chances away against Pats. He said the average age on the Pats team to face City was 22. He said they are so weak, a good schoolboys team would take them.
So, an objective listener could take the view that if City lost, they can't be any good, and if they won, it would be no achievement really.
I hate that kind of lazy, needling journalism.

Gary
08/08/2004, 11:50 AM
Even by his own standards, Spillane was poor on the BRB last night. He has no humility, and cannot hold his hands up and say "well maybe I jumped the gun a bit".

True, we only beat a poor SPA team and a depleted Waaherfurh team, but previously, these are games where City would have got 2 draws from. Ok, the Drogs result was a blip, but if we win the rest of our games this season - we win the league!!! ;)

City Hero
08/08/2004, 2:36 PM
Didn't Spillane start saying the season was over even before the Intertoto, or was that last season?

He is a joke and should be ignored. Most people will just make up their own mind.

yiddo
08/08/2004, 7:06 PM
Some younger posters may not remember but Spillane has been at this type of crap for years. In 1993 City with 2 home games to go were 6 points behind the leaders Bohs, with Shels in second. City needed to win these two games and hope other results went our way in order to force a play-off for the league title. On the day of the 2nd last game, home to Derry, Spillane wrote a piece titled "Another season of unfullfilled promise" basically slating the team and the club. Now although it needed an unlikly sequence of results as was proved it wasn't an impossible sequence. Results went our way and City as we know went on to win the league after the play offs.
Did Spillane write another piece when we won the league saying that he was wrong and how City showed great character to keep going and playing to the end etc. ? What do you think ? ;)