PDA

View Full Version : Athlone come to Town

Keen2win
09/03/2012, 1:16 AM
Expecting a win from this one, 3-1! Seaon's looking good, but one game at a time! When is Lee back?

BTW, I'm looking for someone on here with the power to let me take a short, no more than 20 second video of Gillespie either before or after the game! Any help is appreciated!:)

L.T.F.C.
09/03/2012, 11:00 AM
Oh you will come to the game. Good man. Its on the Strokestown Road.

thelocal
09/03/2012, 1:50 PM
Shaw deserves a starting place after the diffeence he made in Galway when he came on, think Mick Lee is back for "El Classico"

Acornvilla
09/03/2012, 2:50 PM
I can't go, was looking forward to it all week :(

outspoken
09/03/2012, 4:23 PM
CMON DE TOWN THE REAL TOWN LTFC!

Always a tough game but I say the same thing pretty much every year stop McGee and we are more than half way there. We should have too much for Athlone going forward. Speaking of Gillespie its almost a year to the day since he signed (24th march) and thats why I'm getting the feeling for a Gillespie goal tomorrow night.

outspoken
09/03/2012, 4:25 PM
Also just to mention there will be an interview in Saturday's match program with a man who has sat on both sides of the Classico fence....Mark Salmon so maybe you'd like to pick that up till we boost sales :)

L.T.F.C.
10/03/2012, 11:43 PM
SUPER DUPER! Absolutely over the moon with that performance. Not point in saying anything else, I thought Crawley was massive. Class. Lee will have a hard time getting back into the first team. Man of the Match for me was Gillespie. Jesus Christ he was like the rain. All over the place. Some great tackles and he was unlucky for their goal. I wasn't overly happy with Shaw, he didn't do too much. James had a howler. His positioning going forward was shocking and he was caught for pace at the back. Nevermind all that... top of the league! :D

Tallanted
11/03/2012, 12:26 PM
Not the prettiest of performances, but 3 points, 2 wins from 2, top of the table and most importantly still Champions of the Midlands!

outspoken
11/03/2012, 2:46 PM
Agree that gillespie was superb he showed any doubters that he does actually care about the club and hes not just here for a few pounds. But for me Mark Salmon was superb man of the matcg without doubt his goal was messi-esq and he was the driving force all night i think wel do very well to hold onto him for a full season hes the next big thing.

Bermo and shaw worked like mad up front they were fantastic especially bermo whos hold up play is brilliant hes basically a hard working peter hynes :)

Thought we passed the ball well at times and like said above tommo crawley was fantastic as was purdy who took his goal wonderdully well.

Hylo made a fantastic save too which was great to see i think couso has unearthed a gem there.

Wouldnt agree that colly james was awful he made some great tackles and good passes but he is lacking hugely in pace and id be worried against quicker opposition.

Overall the back 4 did look shakey but as expected we just had too much going forward and i think 90% of our games this season will be won by the odd goal with very nervy endings.

Good to see mick lee back.

Tough task next week a point would be far from awful but we could very easilly go down there and win it.

Top of the league great start!

Macy
11/03/2012, 4:51 PM
I didn't think the performance was that great, to be honest. We did more than enough to win the game, but definitely thought we ground it out rather than played particularly well. That's not to say I wasn't happy enough with the team - I think the quality of play will come with time. At this stage of the season I'll take results over performances as the team beds in.

Don't agree that James was that poor either. He was caught wrong side for the free near the end, but it was more of a dive imo. I also didn't think the back four was that shakey either tbh.

wullie
11/03/2012, 7:07 PM
Performance wasn't the worst, Gillespie was excellent in the centre but seemed to be running out of steam at end of the game. Forwards have to learn though how to run the oppositions back four, they are just standing holding the ball not knowing what to do with it. The forwards have to be more intense off the ball, creating the openings through the line runs so the midfield can put it into their paths and start scoring the goals.

Martinho II
11/03/2012, 8:53 PM
It looks like I missed a good game.. The attendance seems impressive and I heard frm outspoken that a lot of the old guard were back.. I also heard there was a good turnout frm section o considering a lot of the elder statesmen were away in Cork and Armagh for various reasons.. Thats the first time in four yrs we are top!

L.T.F.C.
11/03/2012, 9:00 PM
By the looks of it Martinho, it was more Section N!

Macy
11/03/2012, 9:08 PM
Not a bad turnout our side, but quiet, and a fair few didn't come back for the 2nd half. Stand sung a few times though - even broke out into a "Come on the town"!

L.T.F.C.
11/03/2012, 9:11 PM
Aye! The old reliable! Great to hear though, it has been a while.
Anyone else travelling tomorrow night? I'll be there myself.

fitzpatrick10
12/03/2012, 10:45 AM
Not a bad turnout our side, but quiet, and a fair few didn't come back for the 2nd half. Stand sung a few times though - even broke out into a "Come on the town"!

looks like the drums will have to be taken out of the attic!!.. great to see us on the top of the table even if its only two games in, hopefully we can get a good result next friday against wexford. would be nice to get a win against bray even if it is only lsc

Bosco
12/03/2012, 12:58 PM
What was the attendance in the end?The stand looked fairly full but a lot of them seemed to be athlone judging from their reaction to their goal!A few of us didnt go back over to section o for the second half because one or two lads had to leave in the middle of the second half for work etc.On the match,was a great win,2 fantastic goals in particular from Salmo,who was fantastic all night particularly in the second half going forward.Thought Gillespie was very solid for us, Purdy did very well out on the wing and it was a just a joy to watch Kirby back, dont think anyone can say that he still hasnt got it, he was running the show in midfield, particularly in the first half..

Keen2win
12/03/2012, 1:12 PM
Not that happy by how much we sat back in the last 15 mins, Cousins roaring at players not to get forward, we were asking for an onslaught, which didn't really have much substance, Athlone wern't good enough!
BTW, do Athlone still have a forum?

outspoken
12/03/2012, 5:33 PM
Attendance was estimated to be 500 Bosco.