PDA

View Full Version : A Team Of Stephens

tetsujin1979
07/03/2012, 9:31 PM
Was driving home earlier and flicked over to Off The Ball on NewsTalk, and they were talking to an Irish defender Stephen. Having missed the start of the interview, I tried to figure out who it was? Steve Staunton? Nope, definitely a Stephen. Stephen Carr? Nope, whoever it was had played in Russia. Stephen Ward? Possibly, but I've heard him speak and it didn't sound like him. He mentioned playing for Fulham, so it turns out it was Stephen Kelly.
Having already found four capped Stephens, I wondered if you could make an entire team of Stephens (or Steve, or Steven)
Turns out you can, assuming you count Henderson's appearance on the bench against the Czech's

Henderson
Carr Kelly Staunton Ward
Finnan Ireland McPhail Reid Heighway
Elliott
Subs:
Gleeson
O'Halloran
Hunt

might be useful as a future trivia question

the bear
08/03/2012, 12:35 AM
http://www.startpage.ie/ireland/hobby/

nigel-harps1954
08/03/2012, 1:41 AM
Technically we could have a 'current' team of Stephens.

AlaskaFox
08/03/2012, 5:38 PM
Where's Stephen Breen?

Irish_Praha
08/03/2012, 7:07 PM
Was driving home earlier and flicked over to Off The Ball on NewsTalk, and they were talking to an Irish defender Stephen. Having missed the start of the interview, I tried to figure out who it was? Steve Staunton? Nope, definitely a Stephen. Stephen Carr? Nope, whoever it was had played in Russia. Stephen Ward? Possibly, but I've heard him speak and it didn't sound like him. He mentioned playing for Fulham, so it turns out it was Stephen Kelly.
Having already found four capped Stephens, I wondered if you could make an entire team of Stephens (or Steve, or Steven)
Turns out you can, assuming you count Henderson's appearance on the bench against the Czech's

Henderson
Carr Kelly Staunton Ward
Finnan Ireland McPhail Reid Heighway
Elliott
Subs:
Gleeson
O'Halloran
Hunt

might be useful as a future trivia question

I'm fairly sure this was touched on in a thread a few years ago, probably in the Carr or finnan thread.
Or else in was on the old soccercentral forum.

gastric
08/03/2012, 11:53 PM
There is also Stephen Dawson.

tetsujin1979
08/03/2012, 11:59 PM
There is also Stephen Dawson.
not capped at senior international level, should have made that more obvious in the first post

eitoof
09/03/2012, 1:23 PM
Put Hunt in the team instead of Mr Dead Granny and it looks OK to me!

geysir
09/03/2012, 6:37 PM
I'd go for 4 2 3 1 formation

Henderson
Carr Kelly Staunton Ward
Finnan Reid
Ireland McPhail Heighway
Elliot

Does the manager have to be a Steve?
Stan, player manager?
Stephen Kenny?

tetsujin1979
11/03/2012, 11:39 PM
Staunton also played in goal for Liverpool once, so you could make an argument for playing him there

Charlie Darwin
13/03/2012, 10:19 AM
It'd be a safer choice than making him manager, to be fair.