PDA

View Full Version : City -V- Drogs

adamcarr
02/08/2004, 6:41 PM
About 3 mins to kick-off. No news os Starting XI yet!

adamcarr
02/08/2004, 7:01 PM
15 MINS
Still 0-0

0-0 In Rovers VS Longford HT

adamcarr
02/08/2004, 7:14 PM
26 Mins
City are dominating the match! Same line-up as Waterford!
Updates at Corkcityfc.ie (http://www.corkcityfc.ie)

De Town
02/08/2004, 7:26 PM
Rovers 2 up.

Robinson 68
Rutherford 70

Dillon s/o 58

Gary
02/08/2004, 7:35 PM
Drogs 1 - 0 City

Right on HT.

Blatantly offiside :(

About 150 City fans have travelled. Playing quite well, playing some nice football, and should get back into it in the 2nd half.

adamcarr
02/08/2004, 7:37 PM
1-0 to Drog HT
****!!!

adamcarr
02/08/2004, 7:41 PM
Blatantly offiside
Once again! :mad:

Counting Crow
02/08/2004, 7:42 PM
Text just in from the corner at the Drogs game.

Goal took everyone by surprise - against the run of play.

Over 300 City fans at game. Unbelievable support. More than any Dublin team I'd say!

Lets hope for a turn around in the second half!

harry crumb
02/08/2004, 7:50 PM
Are u hooked up to a Prozac machine all the time or something. you're always so positive.

De Town
02/08/2004, 7:51 PM
Full Time in Scum -v- Town. **** result.

adamcarr
02/08/2004, 8:23 PM
COME ON CITY
WE cant afford to lose!

adamcarr
02/08/2004, 8:36 PM
......2-0 :mad:

Gary
02/08/2004, 8:51 PM
City denied a stone cold peno.

Stewards giving City fans the finger.

Should have got a draw out of it.

Sounds like the trip home will have plenty to talk about anyways.

edit: Apparently the ref wasnt great either, but theres nada new there - is there?

Coltron
02/08/2004, 9:53 PM
Lads it was a fair enough result. Tight game but we played better. There was nothing wrong with the first goal from where I was standing and where did you get a stone wall penalty claim I'll never know. Ref was a real whistle blower tonight every tackle you heard the it, didn't side with us or you. Second goal was a counter attack but to say you dominated the game is ridiculous. OCallaghan and OFlynn were not in the game at all, your defence did look pretty good have to say. Dolan I dont think made a change early enough and when he did it didnt worry us. Took Fenn off for some young lad.

Fenn missed a great chance in the early stages of the game and didnt look on the ball at all.

Drogheda for Europe!

Ali-G
02/08/2004, 9:58 PM
Drogheda must be team of the season so far.. Only 3 points behind Shels now. Fair play to them, its good to see other non-dub teams up near the top. Having said that, I still wish we had beat them.

Snatch
02/08/2004, 10:37 PM
Lads it was a fair enough result. Tight game but we played better. There was nothing wrong with the first goal from where I was standing and where did you get a stone wall penalty claim I'll never know. Ref was a real whistle blower tonight every tackle you heard the it, didn't side with us or you. Second goal was a counter attack but to say you dominated the game is ridiculous. OCallaghan and OFlynn were not in the game at all, your defence did look pretty good have to say. Dolan I dont think made a change early enough and when he did it didnt worry us. Took Fenn off for some young lad.

That's pretty accurate I'm afraid. City were very poor and created almost nothing. No complaining about the ref can disguise our inept performance. The game was played at a very high tempo on a very tight pitch and unlike in Europe, we had no time on the ball. Georgie did not produce the goods and Flynnie didn't have one chance in the whole game. :( Doyler and Kearney also made no impact.

Fair dues to Drogs who deserved the win. It was a pure disappointing game for City. The mighty support from the rebel army was the only good point.

adamcarr
02/08/2004, 10:39 PM
Dolan I dont think made a change early enough and when he did it didnt worry us. Took Fenn off for some young lad.
Probably Sweeney!

Snatch
02/08/2004, 10:44 PM
Dolan I dont think made a change early enough and when he did it didnt worry us. Took Fenn off for some young lad.

Denis Behan came on for Fenn. Sweeney did not play.

iceman
02/08/2004, 11:10 PM
Fair play to Dolan...he shook hands with every Drogs player at full-time.

Match report now available here http://www.droghedaunited.ie/

max power
03/08/2004, 12:09 AM
rumour around pats is that dolan and his wallace money are on their way to bohs ?????

jmc105
03/08/2004, 12:57 AM
rumour around pats is that dolan and his wallace money are on their way to bohs ?????

...aaaaand....in other news christina aguilera has left the world of pop stardom behind to become a nun. Aguilera's new mother superior told the evening echo: "sister christina certainly has durrrrrtied up the convent choir. in a good way."

Pablo
03/08/2004, 3:57 AM
Just back now. travelling all day for that! a kick in the teeth. we certainly didnt deserve to win, and fair play to Drogs, but we should have had a draw out of that.

The ref was a joke. :mad:

The linesman on the away section side? your having a laugh little man? :mad:

Same old story. Is everyone aginst us from the FAI to the refs?

Having said all that good luck to Drogheda. Deecent support and a good team

And the rebel Army? great turnout. taught the locals how to sing. outstanding.

P.S.
Dolan hauled all the players back onto the pitch after they sulked off without applauding the rebel army. cant blame them in a way but we did drice for 12 hours up and down today!

razor
03/08/2004, 8:15 AM
We won 2-0 @ drogs with a weakened team 3 weeks ago so that means we`ll beat "yee lot" 4-0 next week. Im a happy camper :)

Thats right, football is so predictable. :rolleyes:
Get down the bookies right away.

NorthoftheLee
03/08/2004, 8:56 AM
city played poorly last night...never really got going.....drogs prob deserved the win. Very solid team.doolin has them well drilled....they are very solid at the back......well done to them...

as for that linesman on our side...he was a tool......complete and utter incompetence.he just seemed to get worse as the game went on.....from my view it looked like there were 2 drogs players offside for the 1st goal...everyone expected teh linesmans flag to go up...but it didnt...he then started to see offside decisions that weren't there in the 2nd half.....he was brutal.....City should have had a peno....drogs took their 2nd goal well...on the break.....

great support from the Rebel Army again...non stop singing for the 90mins..

patsh
03/08/2004, 9:04 AM
I thought we gave a shocking performance last night.

I also thought the ref and linesman were ok. I mean when Kevin Doyle deliberately attacks a defender's elbow with his face, what can an official do?

We looked a long way off from being title contenders last night....:(

I have to also say that I cannot see thre point of having a squad if we are not goin to ever let them play..........
Drogs are a decent enough side, but we should really be beating them....

I guess Dinger had the last laugh......:o

ColinR
03/08/2004, 9:13 AM
thought we deserved to win overall, yet probably lucky to be leading at half time. i'd say the first 35-40 mins cork were well on top, yet we got plenty of pressure beofre the break, yet still the goal came out of the blue.

rogers save about 5/10 mins into second half was real turning point - absolutly brilliant save, then we created plenty of chances, but never killed the game off, until at the death.

have to say, excellent support from cork, i'd say around 150-200, best i've seen outside of the dublin clubs. overall, great game, and great night, looking fwd to the return in september already

tiktok
03/08/2004, 9:17 AM
....Very solid team. doolin has them well drilled....they are very solid at the back...

That's it in a nutshell NOTL.
Paul Doolin is the reason we consider UCD to be our bogey team, he's a great manager who sends his teams out well prepared. Flat back four and Midfield four all working for each other, with one striker running around like a lunatic to cover.
Doolin's sides are very hard to break down.

We lost away to the Leagues second placed team, who just beat Shels in Tolka and hammered Derry 4-0, it's not a disaster.
Silver lining time: we were going to drop points in some one of the games in hand, at least Drogs winning keeps the pressure heavily on Shels. We'll still be close enough to Shels to cause them trouble by the time we play them IMO, and Drogs will take more points off them too.

pete
03/08/2004, 9:41 AM
Drogs played very well & think can say they deserved their win. Credit for them playing football & not time wasting when 1 nil ahead. Nice to see footballing team near top of league.

1st goal hotly contested offside when ball knocked back in after free kick initially cleared.

City had clear penalty denied in 2nd half when kearney skinned the fullbacvk & taken down from behind. It was one that was either a penalty or yellow card for diving.

2nd goal was in last few mins when city chasing the game.

I thought no.8 for Drogs was lucky to stay on pitch before being subbed. Had at least 2 heavish tackles after initial yellow card.

Maybe when Drogs get some success they'll learn how to sing ;)

ColinR
03/08/2004, 10:22 AM
City had clear penalty denied in 2nd half when kearney skinned the fullbacvk & taken down from behind. It was one that was either a penalty or yellow card for diving.

2nd goal was in last few mins when city chasing the game.

I thought no.8 for Drogs was lucky to stay on pitch before being subbed. Had at least 2 heavish tackles after initial yellow card.

Maybe when Drogs get some success they'll learn how to sing ;)

watched the second half from the bar, where, as your above the play, gives a great view - thought the tackle you (i presume) are talking about, was a superb tackle. Thought there was a 50-50 penalty shout when jermaine (no.3) collided with o'flynn i think just outside the six yard box.

agree about molloy (our no.8) walking on thin ice regarding a red card - dont know what he was booked for initially, but he committed a few fouls ( a bit less than fenn though :mad: ) and it was wise to take him off.

as for singing, in united park for some reason noise doesn't travel well, in the first half when the city fans were actually singing you could barely hear them, and i'm sure it was the same for ye on the other side - saying that our song list is a bit bare, but remember we're not used to having something to sing about ;)

namloc
03/08/2004, 11:24 AM
this thing that dolan has of making substitutions in injury time at the end of games is totally ridiculous. whats the point?? whats a guy gonna do in a few minutes?!? make the changes with 20 or 30 minutes to go when they can actually make a difference not in the 90th minute!!!

patsh
03/08/2004, 11:29 AM
Why was flynny on the pitch for 90mins again??? He was brutal...he was our worst players against waterford also but his late goal disguised his overall performance. I haven't seen him play well in a while now. I love the guy but if someone aint doing the business, then Dolan should sub him. Why is Fen the one to get subbed...our best attacking player the past 2 months. It'll be interesting what happpens when SOF is fit. I doubt it'll take him 4 months to regain match fitness. 100% correct.

Fcuk the players for walking off without saluting us last night. Left Cork at 12.30 and home at 4.30am, I think we deserve to be applauded for that. And Dolan shouldn't have to send Noel O'Connor into the dressing room to bring the players out to applaud us. Dan Murray (brutal last night btw) was the only one to applaud us last night until Dolan had to get them all to do it.Hmmm.maybe some times the players shouldn't be getting the kind of "ovation" they got last night.....

The subs are now puzzling me as well. Nwankwo ain't going to do much in 2 mins when we are 2 down.... :confused:

Why have we a big squad when we don't use it? I'm sure Nwankwo and Gamble and Woods are itching for a game/run and I though they would have got it in this fixture pile-up.

FFS, defeat to Pats Friday and over season is over.... :mad:The substitutions are bizarre and driving a lot of people crazy. Why have we so many players that never get to play? If we are not going to use them, let them go and we can save the money on wages, and John O'Flynn definitely needs time on the bench.....

pete
03/08/2004, 2:01 PM
IMO Dolan does not have confidence in the bench players to play better than tired 1st eleven players.

Hard to see what changes could be made from bench last night. Behan is clearly not up to being 3rd choice forward.

I think Doyler needs a rest as been looking tired since euro trip.

patsh
03/08/2004, 2:13 PM
IMO Dolan does not have confidence in the bench players to play better than tired 1st eleven players.You are probably right, but then why bother signing Gamble, Nwanko etc.?
He must have seen something in these players to want them, he has got to give them a chance to play. Can't see the point in Flynnie taking up a starting spot, in the hope that he will find a bit of form. Doyler has been taking some serious punishment for a few weeks now, Lordan looks a bit jaded, a certain amount of squad rotation would not harm the side.
Surely Gamble was worth at least 20-30 minutes last night? We had been on top in the first half, but were out of it in the second. Nwanko or maybe Billy should have also got at least 15 mins....:(

Colm
03/08/2004, 2:30 PM
I guess Dinger had the last laugh......:o

:D :D
What a man Dinger was! What did he think we were going to do like? Locking the doors on us was a tad extreme! Ah well we'll be back up there soon enough! :)

As for the game itself, the first goal was so obviously offside.... I don't know how that little midget assh*le of a linesman didn't see it. Their second goal was fine, no complaints there.
We didn't play great and didnt really deserve to win but we didn't really deserve to lose either, I felt a draw would have been the fairest result.
A lot of the player looked tired, I think being forced to play so many games in a week is taking its toll on the lads.
Great support at the game, definately over 200 City fans there who sang and chanted throughout the game.
Drogheda's a kip though, 15 euro to get in and 4 euro for a hamburger, they were having a laugh!
I did acquire a nice pair of sunglasses in Urlingford on the way down though! :D

Cosmo
03/08/2004, 2:36 PM
'What a man Dinger was! What did he think we were going to do like? Locking the doors on us was a tad extreme!'

Dingers alright though gets pretty thick at times - you got off lightly, you shouldve seen him with the derry supporters!!!

pconnor
03/08/2004, 3:05 PM
Maybe you don't want it mentioned here, but there is plenty of talk on the Drogs MB about Dolan kicking in the dressing room door at half time and then being prevented from re-entering the clubhouse after the game by security staff.

namloc
03/08/2004, 4:06 PM
The Echo have written off City's chances of winning the title this year (no surprise there)

http://www.eveningecho.ie/pdf/back.pdf

They say we've nothing left to fight for only a European place at best(!).

pete
03/08/2004, 4:57 PM
Dunno why anyone cares what Spillane says or does anymore. He already said title was over before the Inter Toto Cup campaign.

If we were to lose at home to shel$ i'd agree with him but no shame losing to the 2nd place team away from home.

Éanna
03/08/2004, 11:27 PM
1.Didn't have a clear sight of the first goal, but thought it might be offside. Drogheda fan who was standing in our section on his way to bar/jacks said it was definitely offside. Certainly the insane flag-waving of the power-crazed midget linesman on our side was so bad for the rest of the game, it wouldn't surprise me if he got it wrong.
2. City played ok, but didn't really threaten. Drogs swamped us in midfield. Doubled up on george a lot and didn't give him space. Colin T was poor (he's entitled to an off-day!) If we'd imposed ourselves there, we'd have won.
3. Drogs played really nice football and knocked it around well, nice to see someone else playing football.
4. Drogs left back was guilty of assualt on Kevin Doyle over and over again. His behaviour warranted 2 or 3 red cards at least. Doyler has to learn to dive- he'll get nothing from refs in this league
5. Drogs defence was excellent, as expected, (gray in particular) but City played too many long balls.
6. Fenn was battered all over the place and must have the patience of a saint not to have thumped drogheda players- the tackle from behind on him in the second half would have been a straight red if the ref had a clue.
7. Flynny was poor, and look wrecked. hopefully he'll be better on friday.
8. How drogs got a licence for th dump of a ground is beyond me.
9. Stewards were a disgrace- allowing drogs fans to say/ do what they wanted and then going mad at city fans for reacting. Saw at least one gesturing to the crowd. What said it all was when one of the gardaí said "they haven't a clue." Stewards were very lucky city fans are so well behaved, or there would have been war.
10. City crowd was excellent. that should be our average for ALL away games from now on.well done all

ColinR
04/08/2004, 8:21 AM
6. Fenn was battered all over the place and must have the patience of a saint not to have thumped drogheda players- the tackle from behind on him in the second half would have been a straight red if the ref had a clue.

personally, thought fenn was lucky to still be on the pitch at half time. at least 4 times he went in over the top and late on both gray and o'connor. actually laughed in the second half when gray got booked (deservadly) for his first foul, yet fenn got away with a number of similar attacks/takles on the defenders

jmc105
04/08/2004, 4:07 PM
personally, thought fenn was lucky to still be on the pitch at half time. at least 4 times he went in over the top and late on both gray and o'connor. actually laughed in the second half when gray got booked (deservadly) for his first foul, yet fenn got away with a number of similar attacks/takles on the defenders

it's football, not poker - what difference does it make if fenn laughed? maybe he remembered a really funny joke... ;)