PDA

View Full Version : Hell On Earth...

Pages : [1] 2

Peadar
02/08/2004, 1:42 PM
Let's imagine your company tells you that you are to be relocated in Ireland and it turns out to be your worst nightmare.
You're asked to move to a place which to you is "Hell on earth."
For most of us, places like Navan or Limerick or anywhere in County's Louth and Offaly spring to mind.
I have to say that I refused to move to Leitrim a few years back but that was because the work didn't appeal to me.
I'd hate to have to live somewhere remote like Roscommon.
No decent football for miles :D
Wexford and Carlow are a couple more I'd say no to.
I suppose if I'm honest I'd have to say Sligo and Westmeath too.
Anyone else have a place in Ireland they'd hate to live?

Ruairi
02/08/2004, 1:47 PM
dublin. always hated the place.
i'd love to live in derry

Peadar
02/08/2004, 2:01 PM
i'd love to live in derry

They wouldn't understand a word you'd be saying boy :D

sylvo
02/08/2004, 2:19 PM
Ballinamalard or Kesh, county Fermanagh :eek: :( . In the word's of Morrissey ''Every day is like sunday, every day is silent and grey''.

Ruairi
02/08/2004, 2:31 PM
They wouldn't understand a word you'd be saying boy :D
I'd just have to throw a "hi" at the end of every sentance hi.

and drink a lot of irn bru.

hi.

eoinh
02/08/2004, 2:41 PM
dungarvan !

Pauro 76
03/08/2004, 8:00 PM
Dundalk, or any Dublin suburb that ends in Bally...

liam88
03/08/2004, 8:04 PM
"Up the Shankill" (Belfast obv.), Sandy Row etc. ;)
Love Cobh-ma town, and Tipperary town where half ma family are from equally.
Love Cork City and Kerry. Muster lad :D

liam88
03/08/2004, 8:29 PM
I'd love it wherever I lived in Ireland except the couple of places in the North mentioend above. I love our country :D
Erin Go Bragh!

Éanna
03/08/2004, 10:51 PM
Dublin. I've spent a few weeks there over the summer a few times years ago and I really just don't like the place. I really enjoyed living in Limerick and I'd love to live in Galway for abit at some stage, but Cork is great

Peadar
04/08/2004, 8:56 AM
Dublin.
...I really just don't like the place.

I've been back and forth to Dublin a lot over the last 9 years and I have to say I love the place. Ok so it's a big city with the inevitable element of scum but even the smallest towns in Ireland have that. There are a hell of a lot of decent Dublin people. Friendly, great for a bit of banter and never afraid to put their hand in their pocket and buy you an overpriced pint.
I know someone is going to come back and say that you find that all over Ireland but capital cities are typically less friendly.
If I could afford property in Dublin, I'd buy it.

My first choice would be West Cork though.
Twice the house for half the price.

Macy
04/08/2004, 9:13 AM
Hell
Any Dublin surburb that wasn't walking distance to town (actually any Irish city where I wasn't in walking distance of town).
Cork and Kerry - the accent would drive me nuts if I had to endure it for any period of time.
Wouldn't actually like to move to any country spot where I had no connection to the place. Take years to be settled in, and not to be considered a blow in...

Heaven
Where I'm living now, country life still within a handy commute of Dublin. If it wasn't for the Sunday drivers going to Glendalough every week, including the w@nker bikers thinking it's a race track, it'd be even sweeter.
Longford - family connections, mates, history...

Okay
Galway, if it wasn't for the poxy weather on the west coast
Dublin - Portobello, Rathmines, Ranelagh, Drumcondra. Local pubs, shopping etc plus still dead handy for Town.

Pat O' Banton
04/08/2004, 11:08 AM
Well if Patrick J is in Dublin 4 then surely a night acting like 'vermin' wearing a Celtic top along the Shakhill is preferable to being anywhere near that area. (let me guess, a response regarding where I live?)

fosterdollar
04/08/2004, 11:41 AM
Again, if i could afford it, then South County Dublin, D4 east, etc. and fock off any of you knobs about to drop the usual lines about those areas.

Had the pleasure of living around Booterstown, Sandymount, Mount Merrion for a few years. Lived in Phibsboro for a while. Was getting to like it there as well but had to go. Spent some time in Churchtown but too far from town.

Have to say i don't like Rathmines/Ranelagh all that much. Reckon you get much more ripped off for your money than you do in the above places which may be a surprise to some.

Live in Kildare now. Only been here about 10 months - have to get out... at least out of Newbridge anyway. No offence to Kildare people on this board but most of the ones i meet here have few likeable qualities. Very anti-social frame of mind as a group.

Top places for me:
Dublin
Longford
Kilkenny
Donegal

dortie
04/08/2004, 12:10 PM
I'd just have to throw a "hi" at the end of every sentance hi.

and drink a lot of irn bru.

hi.

Whats the Iron Bru all about hi ???? :confused: Mmmm very confused.

Places in Ireland other than Derry i would consider living.....

Galway
Cork
Waterford

Places id not go near with a bargepole,....

Donegal, particularly Ballybofey, the thought of it.
Dublin, is there any Irish left in the capital
Longford, What is there to do ?

Macy
04/08/2004, 12:11 PM
Live in Kildare now. Only been here about 10 months - have to get out...
:D Leaving Kildare with only one Magoo to cope with.... No wonder they weren't friendly, having had previous....

tiktok
04/08/2004, 12:18 PM
And North Kerry because it's so ugly.

I know, the Dingle peninsula is such as eyesore :rolleyes: ;)

Yes....
Kilkenny
Galway

No...
Limerick
Longford

Dublin is fine, if it wasn't for traffic and property prices driving me past the Meath border :rolleyes:

fosterdollar
04/08/2004, 12:45 PM
Jesus, the midlands.

Can't imagine living so far from the sea. I mean, think of Westmeath or Longford or Offaly on a hot summer's day. Miles and miles of flat bog land and the haze and flies and ****.

dont want to get into a whole 'where's more beautiful' thing, but in fairness beaches and mountains are not the only things to make a place beautiful. The midlands has The Shannon, a ****load of lakes, drumlin country,.... And when you get a view over vast flat country it can be quite awesome

Not even a mountain to break the monotony. No wave of tourists (bar a few fishermen from the North of England)

funny that you should be looking for a large influx of foreigners and someone above asked did dublin have any irish there any more like it was a bad thing.

First time i ever heard a mountain being used as something 'to break the monotony' :D ;)

fosterdollar
04/08/2004, 12:48 PM
:D Leaving Kildare with only one Magoo to cope with.... No wonder they weren't friendly, having had previous....

and not a HQ in sight!!

Bowsy
04/08/2004, 12:56 PM
Well i'm from "one of those neighbourhoods where people go around wearing Celtic jersies" that Patrick J so charmingly referred too. Don't wear a Celtic Jersey like the rest of the "vermin", like to think i have more style, but always enjoyed living there apart from Darndale in Nrth Dublin. Was a lovely place but descened into a dive. That's my worst spot along with Neilstown where i got stoned(not in the good sense) playing a u15s football game.

Favourite places would be Dublin, Galway, or Cork probably.

fosterdollar
04/08/2004, 1:08 PM
i'm not comparing - don't feel the need to. They're completely different types of countryside. Midlands is a nice alternative. Plenty of Anglers and boatsmen will agree with that.

Next time you're up in longford you should hang around for a day and just have a look around Lanesboro, Newtowncashel, Aughnacliffe.

p.s. the bogs helped me bankroll college and the first sight of them from the train means ii'm nearly home... so don;t even go there :cool:

Macy
04/08/2004, 1:09 PM
Yeah Conor, but go for a stroll up Cairn Hill and take in the views. Besides the midlands are far hotter temperature wise than anywhere on the coast. :)
Besides you can keep the tourists, if it means suffering the healy-rae's....

Macy
04/08/2004, 1:28 PM
And do they go for the scenery or the fish?

Look fair play to you for defending the Midlands. But pick up any guide to Ireland for an objective comparison of the South West and the Midlands, and see what those of us without a bias think.

Alternatively compare house prices in the two areas. If I could take one thing from the midlands, it would be the 50% less you lot pay for houses. But that's all.
Sure they'd be no bias from the Tourist books, particular Failte Ireland ones :rolleyes: People hardly want to fish, or travel on a boat through desolate countryside, as you seem to think it is. Being off the tourist trail doesn't mean there isn't amazing scenery, just that it (disgracefully and thankfully depending which hat I have on :confused: ) hasn't been exploited to it's full potential.

The likes of Longford and Mullingar are far more "real" Ireland, than the plastic picture postcard rubbish in the tourist spots of Kerry.

btw Are you sure about the 50% less paid for houses? I certainly wouldn't think so, or Kerry is as expensive as Dublin

fosterdollar
04/08/2004, 1:35 PM
And do they go for the scenery or the fish?

Alternatively compare house prices in the two areas.

if i'm defending the midlands on the wrong basis then on what basis are you against it?

Midlands has better roads, is central to more places, it has the scenery (you may just not have seen it cos it's not being shoved down your neck by An Bord Faulty), it has the pubs, it has the golf courses, the restaurants, the walking trails, the accommodation... etc etc etc

It has everything up to a comparable level to the coast/south/wherever. If more effort was put into displaying this then maybe second homes and exasperating demand on services would not be such a problem in tourist areas in ireland - given the fact we only promote one type of them

tiktok
04/08/2004, 1:47 PM
West Kerry is not in North Kerry

Not in terms of Football, but it certainly is in terms of electoral areas, and that's the only North Kerry/South Kerry divide i'm aware of ;)

fosterdollar
04/08/2004, 2:02 PM
:D :D

Have you never ever been to Offaly yourself? offaly isn't the midlands just like west kerry isn't north kerry

The guesthouses are there alright. Admittedly i havent tried booking them but maybe if you've been having probs then you're being a little too picky... a luxury nobody booking in killarney can afford i can tell you.
Anyway what would you be booking guesthouses for with all the longford contacts you have here ;)

And then you started talking to a Munsterman about golf courses. You ever hear of Killarney? Ballybunion? Waterville? Fota? The Old Head of Kinsale? Lee Valley? Now admittedly I haven't walked Ferbane Golf Course myself, or putted a ball on the greens of Clara... :D

I'd wager you haven't walked those Kerry ones either. And if you have you've been lucky. Glasson, the Hodson Bay, a new one planned for Carriglas Manor and the Sieve Russell out the road... we don't do too bad either. I'm not fighting against you on this but it's like Macy was trying to get at - its not a complete sh!thole you know. I honestly think you just need to see some of it.

Southern Arrogance ... yawn... :rolleyes:

tiktok
04/08/2004, 2:04 PM
Aye yi yi caramba, Dingle is in the South Kerry electoral area.

Is it really? :D
Madness, I never knew that, always assumed it was North :o
All posts hereby retracted, North Kerry is ugly, back in my box.

joeSoap
04/08/2004, 2:08 PM
broke down in Togher once....some nice locals offered to help me push my car to the local garage...when I got there, my leather jacket had mysteriously vanished from the passenger seat along with some CD's and a briefcase.Very nice people living down there. Always found Cork City a bit of a hole to be honest, but the surrounding areas, particularly West Cork, to be quite good.
Waaaherfurd is another dive. Nothing good comin out of that hole at all.Galway and Limerick are the best two social cities in Ireland,(please hold off on the stab city jokes lads...they're quite old and mostly concern two families) but for pure craic, I believe West Clare tops the lot on a long summers day...A day on the beach at Kilkee or Quilty, then up to Miltown Malbay, Lisdoonvarna or Doolin for a mighty trad session and loads of pints...nice touristy type ladies around too I might add..

Peadar
04/08/2004, 2:21 PM
my leather jacket had mysteriously vanished from the passenger seat along with some CD's and a briefcase...

Surely you're to blame for putting temptation in their way?
Just like you don't walk through parts of Limerick with your wallet sticking out of your back pocket.

joeSoap
04/08/2004, 2:32 PM
Surely you're to blame for putting temptation in their way?
Just like you don't walk through parts of Limerick with your wallet sticking out of your back pocket.
I don't think you walk anywhere with your wallet hanging out of your arse pocket, if you do, you deserve it.When your car breaks down at a reasonably busy roundabout, you don't expect an influx of 14 year old thieving scumbags to steal from your car when they're supposed to be 'helping' you....although maybe you should these days.

Peadar
04/08/2004, 2:45 PM
although maybe you should these days.

As sad truth of urban life these days I'm afraid.
At least you weren't mugged for your belongings though.
Those other things can be replaced.

Macy
04/08/2004, 3:40 PM
So why can't we just all have a go at Offaly?
Certainly, and I will never, ever move there ;)

born 2b a rebel
04/08/2004, 4:51 PM
or N.Side,Cork City :eek:
Ah, it aint so bad... :cool:

Would HATE to live in:
Leitrim... :eek:!!-The most backwards place i'v ever seen...
Sligo
Louth
The North

Wouldn't mind to live in:
Galway
(some parts of)Kerry
Wexford

But the best place in Ireland-without a doubt-HAS to be Cork city!!!

Countyman
05/08/2004, 2:32 PM
Live in Kildare now. Only been here about 10 months - have to get out... at least out of Newbridge anyway. No offence to Kildare people on this board but most of the ones i meet here have few likeable qualities. Very anti-social frame of mind as a group.

....nah you've got us wrong. We just hate outsiders...especially dubs. :p

anti-social??..jaysus there aint many pubs in newbridge that aren't packed out the door every weekend.

Heaven for me...NEWBRIDGE (currently living in kildare town thanks to anti-social dublin commuters pushing up house prices in my home town) or anywhere in County Clare

Hell ... Anywhere in Laois or Offaly or Dublin City Centre.

fosterdollar
05/08/2004, 2:47 PM
Don't mean to patronise but i think you're confusing anti-social with unsociable. I doubt the commuting dubs are being anti-social by commuting up and down every day - depends on your outlook i suppose.

It's like I said I don't mean to offend Kildare people here but yis are not teh friendliest bunch of people ever. First time I walked to work here a crowd of people walking past me on the bridge all dropped the shoulder going past (including the ... ahem ... ladies). That can happen anywhere i know but on my first day here?

In reference to the pubs, the fooking most annoying thing about the pubs here is the dopey looking cokheads that are the bouncers (2 or 3 on every door of every pub). Swift's, Johnson's, Coffey's all okay (havent been in white water (correct name?) yet. Time is an alright nightclub in Naas as well.

If it wasnt for Wyeth taking in a lot of non-dub outsiders, Newbridge would be an ever bigger kip. It's a small town with an big attitude and it stinks. Speaking of which that Kildare Chilling factory really makes kildare town stink as well.

BTW i'm neither a dub nor do i work in Wyeth

SÓC
05/08/2004, 3:11 PM
Love
Anywhere where I can walk/public transport to work
Dublin along the coast with good public transport, especially Southside.
Have lived in Blackrock and Clontarf in the past, much preferred Blackrock though.
Great place to live, friendly folk, very easy to get into town with Dart and loads of busses but you have everything you need out around there anyway.
Rathmines etc also nice

Where I live now in Cork. 15 minute walk to town

Kerry/Galway Gaeltach. Nice places, great people but near enough to towns as not to be cut off from all society.

Hate
Anywhere where I have to drive a long distance/time to work. i.e. over half an hour.
Most parts of Kerry (Sorry Conor)
Tipp
Midlands

parnell ranger
05/08/2004, 3:29 PM
broke down in Togher once....some nice locals offered to help me push my car to the local garage...when I got there, my leather jacket had mysteriously vanished from the passenger seat along with some CD's and a briefcase.Very nice people living down there. Always found Cork City a bit of a hole to be honest, but the surrounding areas, particularly West Cork, to be quite good.
Waaaherfurd is another dive. Nothing good comin out of that hole at all.Galway and Limerick are the best two social cities in Ireland,(please hold off on the stab city jokes lads...they're quite old and mostly concern two families) but for pure craic, I believe West Clare tops the lot on a long summers day...A day on the beach at Kilkee or Quilty, then up to Miltown Malbay, Lisdoonvarna or Doolin for a mighty trad session and loads of pints...nice touristy type ladies around too I might add..

just spent a few days in Kilkee.
it looks like salems lot after the vampires and david soul had left it.
broken footpaths,pot holed roads,unpainted walls,houses,i know most of it is owned by absentee landlords but jeez...
i agree that Galway is the best social city but my fav place would be ballina for the fishing and craic during mardi gras.
ya cant beat the midlands for the variety of tourist attractions,amenities,and general infrastructure and most importantly were not discriminative re race or nationality--- we rip off everybody. :)

SÓC
05/08/2004, 3:31 PM
Does the fact that the Gaeltacht areas are full of insane people who will fight you as soon as look at you not put you off? I mean, the first thing you say to an Irishman with a knife in London is 'how're they all back in Dingle/Black Sod Bay'...Yea but if you say it to him in Irish he'll offer you the knife and a pint of Harp

sylvo
05/08/2004, 9:29 PM
[QUOTE=Magoo]Don't mean to patronise but i think you're confusing anti-social with unsociable. I doubt the commuting dubs are being anti-social by commuting up and down every day - depends on your outlook i suppose.

It's like I said I don't mean to offend Kildare people here but yis are not teh friendliest bunch of people ever.

Whooo there Magoo my man, I don't come from Kildare, I grew up in a large city in the south east of Sassana where there's Irish, Greek's, Italian's, black people, Asian's, eastern europian's and cockney w**nker's as Macy call's them :D,But my mother was brought up in North Kildare so it's my spirtual home, so when i'm back fixing up my retirement home or just on holiday with the folk's, i'm from outside the place but i've never had any prob's with the attitude to blow in's.
Can't speak about Newbridge cause i'm only down there these day's for County game's, but yer more then welcome to drop by my hood in down town Baile nua for a cup of tea if yer heading toward's the N4 to Longford.
BTW was in Longford last week, the girlfriend's father come's from the town, great town to go on a romantic pub crawl, (the Anvil bar bit of a mistake though) and alway's had a good time in Longford.

Anyway favourite place in Ireland would have to be Rynvile, Connamara.

Countyman
06/08/2004, 7:58 AM
Magoo,

After visiting virtually every part of this little island I couldn't generalise and say any particular county's inhabitants are any less friendly than another.

I think its a bit rich saying you dont mean to offend any kildare people on this board and then say we are all anti social, unfriendly and have high opinion of ourselves? Thanks for calling my 2 home towns kips by the way. I'm sure Longford is teeming with meccas of fine living too.

I'm not going to get into an arguement about Newbridge. You hate it. I love it ...fair enough .

Anyway back to what Conor said...Lets all pick on Offaly! Are there any members on this board from The Kings County or is it The Queens County or is that Laois?...one in the same anyway ;)

eoinh
06/08/2004, 5:20 PM
personally ild pick on Westmeath. C'mon, you have a proper county name or not.

Although i would br in favour of calling Kerry Westcork.

Waterford could be Eastcork. Dublin would be "Toughluck youre not in Cork"

liam88
07/08/2004, 10:55 AM
Tipp

Nooooooooooooo! :(
What are ya saying man!?!? Top Place Tipp is! Ya got the history, the rebels, the scenary, roots of half ma family ;)
Tip rules mate-what's wrong with it?!?

Pauro 76
07/08/2004, 3:38 PM
Have to say, bit of bias here, but Longford is completely and unfairly overlooked by the tourist boards... in london at the mo, and spotted an irish tourist guide on places to stay and that. 31 counties listed. guess what didnt get a mention. Ive brought back people for weekends to Longford, from Dublin, London, a mates Finnish girlfriend was over last week and she loved it! im not saying its the best place in Ireland or anything, but people just write off the place as soon as they hear about it. :(

lopez
08/08/2004, 10:27 AM
...But my mother was brought up in North Kildare so it's my spirtual home, so when i'm back fixing up my retirement home or just on holiday with the folk's, i'm from outside the place but i've never had any prob's with the attitude to blow in's...I think most of Kildare is full of people from other parts of Ireland: A bit like Dublin but without the cosmopolitan pull. All the people I know from Kildare were either born elsewhere or have at least one parent born outside. My old man for example was from Dublin but grew up in Monasterevin.

For a latino like myself :rolleyes: , the rain would perhaps do my head in (although I prefer the sh*t summers in Galicia than 40F with a load of talking lobsters on the Costas). I do love visiting Ballyvaughney in the Cork gaeltacht where Conchita's mother now resides. Dunno whether the liver could take permanent residency though. And Mayo too: Perhaps because it had such a bad rep before, that when I actually visited the place I found parts of it quite beautiful. Might get me to say the same about Longford. :D

lopez
08/08/2004, 10:47 AM
Ballyvourney?Apologies, but is that how you spell it in English? The sign posts round there have Baile Mhúirne.

sylvo
08/08/2004, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=lopez]I think most of Kildare is full of people from other parts of Ireland: A bit like Dublin but without the cosmopolitan pull. All the people I know from Kildare were either born elsewhere or have at least one parent born outside. My old man for example was from Dublin but grew up in Monasterevin.

A lot of that was down to the land commision swap's from the late 30's to the 60's getting farmer's from smaller farm's in other part's of the country to take on bigger farm's in county's like Offaly, Meath and Kildare, due to a lot of land owner's with fancy title's f**king back off to their own country . My mother was born in Kerry but the family moved to Kildare when she was a kid in a land commision swap.
I think yer man from Longford's gone a little over the top about Kildare people being unfriendly to outsider's seeing that part's of the county would have people who's family come from every part of the country living there, and we're not just talking about big town's that are becoming the overspill of Dublin either. So I think the having a go at Kildare people being unfreindly to outsider's is a bit much. Maybe this was brought on by a bad pint or something in downtown Newbridge

sylvo
08/08/2004, 11:32 AM
Dangerously close to the Kepak-theme Park,apparantly....... :(

My favourite place in Ireland,has got to be the Celtic Shop in the Jervis Centre....sure it's great to see somewhere that serves the purposes of the Diaspora,in the auld Country...... ;)

Look forward to the EL equivalent in Cricklewood...... :

County Keepakville is just a mile down the road :eek: , look forward to seeing how yer fave place in Ireland goes down.
You are the only person that's posted to this thread that's said they would like to live in a shopping centre. :confused:
Anyway i'm off before the fighting start's. :D

lopez
08/08/2004, 12:53 PM
Dangerously close to the Kepak-theme Park,apparantly....... :( :eek:

My favourite place in Ireland,has got to be the Celtic Shop in the Jervis Centre....I thought your favourite place in Ireland was County Offaly?

sylvo
09/08/2004, 8:59 AM
Have lived Dangrously close to the B.I.F.F.O.'s.......but hold by my original diagnosis :.......North :o .....in No particular order.......Belfast,side of Corcaigh town,Armagh & of Bailé Áth Cliáth(& S.of An Lú!!).......Get the Picture...... :p

What are you banging on about :confused: , did yer get a lock in at the twelve pin's last night . :D

fosterdollar
09/08/2004, 9:40 AM
[QUOTE=lopez] I think yer man from Longford's gone a little over the top about Kildare people being unfriendly

look, this is all i'm saying. My own personal impression from the people I meet (the ones actually from Kildare - the place isn't so full of 'outsiders' as people seem to think.. and your parents being from wherever doesn't make you less from the place; neither of my folks are from longford) is that they are not as friendly as i would expect generally from people. I put across this impression not to stir things up but only because it is exactly the same reaction that i tend to get from people in similar situations as myself here. If you don't agree, go and ask a few 'outsiders' around the towns some time. And that's another thing, why is there so much emphasis put on the fact that you are an outsider here anyway? I stick to my original opinion, it's not a total washout of a place but it is a less desireable home than a lot of other counties.

Re the direct comment about kildare town's distinctive odour.... apologies for offence caused. It is true but it was more of a by the way comment. Longford has similar problems with the meet factory and C&D in edgeworthstown if i recall correctly