PDA

View Full Version : An eircom league striker???

Pages : [1] 2

Ruairi
01/08/2004, 12:04 PM
now with robbies injury, surely it's time for kerr to select an eL striker in a squad for a competitive game??

Jason Byrne, Glen Crowe, John O'Flynn???

any thoughts??

Éanna
01/08/2004, 12:23 PM
flynny looks like he's getting back to full fitness and he's showing some good form lately. when fit he's miles better than crowe or byrne, so if he can avoid gettin injure again, he should be in the squad

adamcarr
01/08/2004, 12:30 PM
Flynny has proved himself at U21 level and its about time Kerr gave him a call up!

Daxion
01/08/2004, 1:27 PM
Flynny has proved himself at U21 level and its about time Kerr gave him a call up!
Well he should be given a try against Bulgaria and if he PROVES himself then Brian Kerr should possible play him against Cyprus.

sylvo
01/08/2004, 2:17 PM
Dax my man, how about Barry O'Conner of Kildare County, he's been knocking in a few of late, he scored the second against your boy's last night. :D See yer at the meeting friday. :D
But back to the matter, I've alway's felt that Wes Houlihan should get more of a look in, I know he's not an out and out striker but any time i've seen him he's alway's played well.

Cosmo
01/08/2004, 2:26 PM
I'd like to see John O'Flynn get a chance against Bulgaria over crowe or byrne - very skillful player and have ALWAYS been impressed with him when ive seen him play (unlike the other 2)

Slash/ED
01/08/2004, 5:18 PM
Hoolahan has been outstanding this season and is worth a place in the side but he's not a striker. He proved himself at U21 level to the point of being nominated for U21 player of the year at one stage and is definitely worth a run in a friendly. And Byrne and O'Flynn are worth getting into a squad for a friendly at least.

adamcarr
01/08/2004, 5:36 PM
I know he is not a striker but Danny Murphy should get a call up!

brendy_éire
01/08/2004, 5:58 PM
Hoolahan, Byrne deserve a chance, and how about Glen Fitzpatrick?

RedX
01/08/2004, 8:35 PM
John O Flynn is definetly the best striker in the league when fully fit.Jason Byrne and Glen Crowe are good players also but are not in the same class as Flynny.Flynns reading of the game,his movement off the ball and his goal poaching make him stand out.The only thing i would be worried about these players being called up is the level they are playing at.Brian Kerr is not stupid.If he thinks a player is good enough he will call him up.I dont understand why people criticise him when he does'nt have an eircom league player in the squad.Brian Kerr is a fantastic coach and he knows whats best for the squad..

Also Wes Houlihan has been in great form this season.But he was also in good form last season.Maybe his time will come too.These two lads are ahead of the rest at the moment..

eoinh
01/08/2004, 9:11 PM
well Skoog who plays for sweeden was on the same pitch as JOF when malmo played city. Both strikers. Theres no need for me to tell you who was the better player! If memory serves me right John scored after 5 minutes!

EamonD
01/08/2004, 10:12 PM
Personally I don't think many EL players are close to international standard, but the real question is whether they more to offer than those playing at a higher level in England? The answer has to be no. Is Byrne or Crowe better than Connolly? The answer is no.

O'Flynn is a different question as he is just out of the U-21 and did very well for Ireland at that level. He could be playing Div 1 in England, I would like Kerr to call him up for a friendly it might help him get a move to a good club.

Slash/ED
01/08/2004, 10:19 PM
O'Flynn is quality and undoubtabley good enough to play for Ireland but he'll need to show he can still consistently score goals, which he has yet to do since his injury, before getting a call up.

Slash/ED
01/08/2004, 10:30 PM
Well that's Irelands loss. It's amazing how Wes Hoolahan, as an example, can be on a shortlist of three for U21 player of the year and yet watch most of his other U21 teamates progress to the full international side while Ireland deprive themselves of his services because of a snobbish attitude towards the league he plays in.

pineapple stu
01/08/2004, 10:36 PM
how about Glen Fitzpatrick?

Good God! If you'd have said that while he was at Belfield, I'd have had you committed! :eek: :p

EamonD
01/08/2004, 10:41 PM
Well that's Irelands loss. It's amazing how Wes Hoolahan, as an example, can be on a shortlist of three for U21 player of the year and yet watch most of his other U21 teamates progress to the full international side while Ireland deprive themselves of his services because of a snobbish attitude towards the league he plays in.

If you look at the players Brian has tried on the right side of midfield recently - Andy Reid, Liam Miller and Martin Rowlands - they all have done something at a higher level than Wes and appear to be on the upward track in a serious way.

And then you still have other options like McAteer, S.Reid, Finnan and Alan Quinn, do you really think it is just a snobbish attitued is keeping eircom League players like Wes out?

Slash/ED
01/08/2004, 10:47 PM
Reid and Miller are just better yes (Though Wes had forced Reid out of his favoured left wing role at U21 level) but Rowlands is a second division player who afaik either never played youth football for Ireland or when he did certinaly didn't get the plaudits Hoolahan did. I mean, I remember after Ireland played Russia at U21 level the Russian senior manager was absolutley bemused by the fact that Hoolahan wasn't a senior international. If he was one of the best players in a team that contained the likes of O'Shea, Reid, Reid, Miller, Butler and a few others who have senior caps than it surley shows he too is worth a chance at international level?

EamonD
01/08/2004, 11:13 PM
I'm not against Wes getting a call-up, it could help him out just pointing out there are a lot of other options available to Brian Kerr. Fact is playing in the eL is a handicap as it is basically seen as part-time and NW 3 quality and Brian Kerr has siad you need to play at least NW1 level and playing first team football regularly so that really rules out eL players right off the bat as well as NW 2 players, so this whole thread is a waste of time.

He only called up Alan Quinn when he had to when he was with Wednesday in NW 2. He called up Rowlands ( who was very highly rated when playing at under 21 level ) when he was promoted to NW 1 and named QPR player of the year.

It's not just ability, you have to be playing at a certain standard.

Slash/ED
01/08/2004, 11:17 PM
Well, if Ireland want to deprive themselves of players who proved at U21 level that they could be an assett to the team, that's their loss. He's called up Division two players before and players not getting their game regularly at Division One level who have done far less in their youth careers than Hoolahan.

dynamo kerry
02/08/2004, 1:29 AM
Well, if Ireland want to deprive themselves of players who proved at U21 level that they could be an assett to the team, that's their loss. He's called up Division two players before and players not getting their game regularly at Division One level who have done far less in their youth careers than Hoolahan.
you're implying that u-21 to senior games is a level step up for all

it isn't. For some of the guys who play at u-21 it's a step down - easier or not much harder than what they play every week. For others it's a massive step up.

Also Kerr has called up the odd player from lower divisions but they were all getting their game. Hoolohan will certainly get a go eventually if he's good enough - and so may O'Flynn but some of the other names dropped on this thread are frankly highly unlikely

that fitzpatrick suggestion has to be a joke of some kind

Slash/ED
02/08/2004, 1:32 AM
Fitzpatrick has been as good as any EL player this season, though I wouldn't put him in the Ireland squad there's been stupider suggestions.

The players Kerr have called up from the lower divisions have not always been getting their game.

Pablo
02/08/2004, 1:37 AM
Its pointless talking about City players. The FAi dont know There is a country outside the Pale

Dublin bias-it exists

liam88
02/08/2004, 6:53 AM
Aye-give Steve Yelverton a try-out against Cyrpus, he's class! :)

Ma mate Steve ;)

Cosmo
02/08/2004, 10:19 AM
I'd be very unsure if wes deserves a chance - o'flynn definitely does though rate him alot higher than crowe or byrne

eirebhoy
02/08/2004, 10:36 AM
Quinn and Rowlands were called up to the squad because there were 15 players unavailable and Kerr needed a squad of 30 players for 4 matches. Eircom league players were out of the question because of the timing of the matches. Do you think the Shel's board would be happy with Houllihan missing 3/4 matches (or even 1 for that matter)?

Slash/ED
02/08/2004, 10:53 AM
Yes, they would, because the knock on effect of having playeres getting into the Ireland squad would be very beneficial to Shels. It would raise the profile of the club and might bring people through the gates, it would be free advertisement basically at the cost of loseing a player for two or so weeks.

And Quinns been called up for alot of squads under Kerr.

EamonD
02/08/2004, 3:02 PM
Quinn and Rowlands were called up to the squad because there were 15 players unavailable and Kerr needed a squad of 30 players for 4 matches. Eircom league players were out of the question because of the timing of the matches. Do you think the Shel's board would be happy with Houllihan missing 3/4 matches (or even 1 for that matter)?

That's a bit unfiair now, Kerr watched Rowlands several times last season. He also called up Quinn a coupe of times before that and knew him from the youths. Brian did say alright that eL players weren't available for that many games.

eirebhoy
02/08/2004, 8:34 PM
That's a bit unfiair now
I wasn't trying to be unfair but people are saying Houlihan has just as much right to a call up as Rowlands and Quinn. He probably does but the timing of the games meant Rowlands and Quinn got the call ups. BTW, do you honestly think that Rowlands and Quinn would have got a call up if all players were available? Kilbane, Delap, Kavanagh, McAteer, Healy are all fighting for a place in midfield and I'm sure Brian would have wanted to find out his first choice midfield during those friendlies.

1MickCollins
03/08/2004, 1:56 AM
I wasn't trying to be unfair but people are saying Houlihan has just as much right to a call up as Rowlands and Quinn. He probably does but the timing of the games meant Rowlands and Quinn got the call ups. BTW, do you honestly think that Rowlands and Quinn would have got a call up if all players were available? Kilbane, Delap, Kavanagh, McAteer, Healy are all fighting for a place in midfield and I'm sure Brian would have wanted to find out his first choice midfield during those friendlies.

Who is this Delap chap everyone is talking about on this board? :p

tricky_colour
03/08/2004, 2:52 AM
Apparently Martin O'Neil has been very pleased with McGeady
on their USA tour.

tiktok
03/08/2004, 9:05 AM
To be honest the front two Kerr plays against Bulgaria will be the front two that start the qualifiers, they have to be. With Robbie practically ever present, we've had little chance to blood alternative front two's so Kerr will have to try and look at those alternatives against Bulgaria.

I reckon he'll go with Morrison and Connolly/Duff (didn't say i agree, just what I think he'll do).

For the record, Liam Miller's reputation was built on u21 performances before he ever played a senior gaem for Celtic, I don't think it's unreasonable to look at it as a guage of a player's quality.
Flynny scored something like 4 goals in 6 games at that level.
However, I don't think Flynn's been that good for City recently, I wouldn't call him up.

Bowsy
03/08/2004, 9:29 AM
[QUOTE=tiktok]
For the record, Liam Miller's reputation was built on u21 performances before he ever played a senior gaem for Celtic, I don't think it's unreasonable to look at it as a guage of a player's quality.
[QUOTE]

Would agree with that but i don't think it's his ability that's holding him back but rather the level of football he's playing at. Anyone who watched the u21s would see O'Flynn up there with Miller as the stand out players. They looked far better than Barrett and Andy Reid in those games IMO. If O'Flynn was playing Championship(god, that doesn't feel right to type) football he would be in the Irish Squad. EL players will struggle to make Ireland squads for quite a few years yet.

Peadar
03/08/2004, 9:39 AM
However, I don't think Flynn's been that good for City recently, I wouldn't call him up.

I have to disagree.
His movement in both games against NEC and against Nantes (only saw the away game) was tremendous!
In fact I'd go as far as saying that he reminded me of Robbie Keane.
Due to being out for so long with injury I'd forgotten just how good he is.
Many people judge forwards by the goals they score or fail to score but forwards can play very important roles and have great games without hitting the back of the net. John O'Flynn would need more than just a token run out with 5 minutes remaining though. I think Brian Kerr knows how good he is but may not be willing to take a chance on him with such important games looming. Brian isn't a risk taker.

sylvo
03/08/2004, 9:54 AM
If they were that good.....they'd be playing in better Leagues or for bigger clubs....pointless debate!

What about playing in better competion's then like Europe, unlike someone from the third division in England. If Wes Hoolahan is able to prove himself against a team like Hadjuk Spilt this week then IMO he should be worthy of getting a look in for the next friendly and also the game v Cyprus.

sylvo
03/08/2004, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=Peadar]. John O'Flynn would need more than just a token run out with 5 minutes remaining though.

Totally, playing someone for the last few minute's or in Jason Byrne's case in Poland last few second's is pointless.

Peadar
03/08/2004, 10:21 AM
If Wes Hoolahan is able to prove himself against a team like Hadjuk Spilt this week then IMO he should be worthy of getting a look in for the next friendly and also the game v Cyprus.

That's it exactly and no matter how people like to dismiss the success of Cork City FC, they played and won in a UEFA competition. Won 3 times in fact and drew twice. That was in 6 games, scoring in 5 of those 6 games. The fact of the matter is that over half of the starting 11 at Cork City were playing for clubs in England when the ITV Digital deal collapsed and clubs were forced to trim their squads. This is true for players at many eircom League clubs. It doesn't mean that they're not good enough now to play for Ireland.
I'd love to see Brian Kerr bring his boys over to play an eircom League XI.
Now that would be some game!

Steve Williams
Cillian Lordan - Owen Heary - Dan Murray - Danny Murphy
Fergal Harkin - Wes Hoolahan - Kevin Hunt - Liam Kearney
John O'Flynn - Jason Byrne

Peadar
03/08/2004, 10:41 AM
making it in the Eng.top 2 Divs.,the S.P.L. or top divs.of countries who regularly feature in the CL,is the Minimum criteria for aspiring internationals.

You're avin' a larf!?!
Outside of the Biggot Brothers, Scottish football is brutal!
Their national side is testimony to that.
You clearly don't know anything about the eircom League outside of the results.

Peadar
03/08/2004, 11:37 AM
PS.only one 'g' in Bigot........ ;)

You'll have to excuse me, I'm not a Celtic fan and have only heard about the term. Your correction has been duely noted.

Peadar
03/08/2004, 11:50 AM
You're confusing the Tims with 'Watford F.C.'& their fans :confused: ........dont think they'd like that label in Corcaigh......have you told RMK ? :eek: ;)

I really don't know anything about Celtic so you'll have to simplify your posts to me on that respect. I assume you're reffering to Roy Keane when you say "RMK"?
What have Watford FC done?

Schumi
03/08/2004, 12:44 PM
If any EL striker is to get a call up for Ireland, it should logically be the top scorer in the Eircom League this season. :)

Peadar
03/08/2004, 1:00 PM
If any EL striker is to get a call up for Ireland, it should logically be the top scorer in the Eircom League this season. :)

What if that striker wasn't eligible?

Schumi
03/08/2004, 1:01 PM
What if that striker wasn't eligible?
I believe Willie Doyle is elligible. :)

Peadar
03/08/2004, 1:05 PM
I believe Willie Doyle is elligible. :)

I think 13 goals for Jason Byrne in the Premier Division has more weight than the 15 of Willie Doyle in the First Division.

John83
03/08/2004, 2:26 PM
I think 13 goals for Jason Byrne in the Premier Division has more weight than the 15 of Willie Doyle in the First Division.And I think that the smilie was originally used to mark posts on the internet which weren't meant to be taken seriously.

O'Flynn is certainly worth a look, and the sooner the better. There's no point in qualifying for the world cup and finding that three of the only four strikers you've called up in the past two years are injured. O'Flynn certainly looks like the kind of player who can make the step up.

Peadar
03/08/2004, 2:33 PM
And I think that the smilie was originally used to mark posts on the internet which weren't meant to be taken seriously.

I know that John. I was just having a dig at Schumi and his Div. 1 players.
Thanks for the support for John O'Flynn though.
It would be just reward for him if her were to start against Bulgaria.

Schumi
03/08/2004, 2:38 PM
Schumi and his Div. 1 players.
Div. 1, still in the Cup players. :p

Peadar
03/08/2004, 2:41 PM
Div. 1, still in the Cup players. :p

Touché! :)

sylvo
03/08/2004, 2:47 PM
Relative 'one-offs' dont count.....Hate to say it.....making it in the Eng.top 2 Divs.,the S.P.L.or top divs.of countries who regularly feature in the CL,is the Minimum criteria for aspiring internationals.

Soccer always a relative 3rd.in Ireland after GAA or Rugby.....until you change that culture,the EL is little more than a sideshow with regards to potential Ireland players.....

Well David Connelly was playing in the belgian second division for a season while on loan from fire-noord and he alway's got into the team, and i doubt that division is much kop.
EL player's like Hoolihan, O'Flynn, Conner and Zayed have all performed well at u21 level, Hoolihan was the main man in our win over the Swiss in Nauchatel and got on the score sheet and has been consistant for Shel's this season, so I can't see why the same level of confidence can't be bestowed on him at senior level as it is at u21 level.
Dav as for one off's Cork beat Malmo home and away and were were only beaten 4-2 on aggregate by a team pretty used to the champion's league, and Shel's are within one game of touch wood playing Deportivo.
I'd judge a player playing well in Europe as a better assesment then playing
well in lower division's in other country's.

John83
03/08/2004, 2:53 PM
Irish team would be as well off resurecting the career of Jimmy Doyle from Fair City and playing him up front than that pr!ck.Woah! What did Willie Doyle ever do to earn that kind of abuse?

John83
03/08/2004, 7:47 PM
He's a big-headed arsehole. He won't amount to much in the premier division. Send the fcuker back to Wexford.No, that's just more abuse. I asked what he's done to earn that abuse.