PDA

View Full Version : Friendly matches next year?

Wizzard
28/11/2001, 4:34 PM
Does anyone have the dates for next years friendlies. I know we're playing Denmark first and Argentina in April. But there is another match in between.

Does anybody know? :confused:

pete
28/11/2001, 5:04 PM
yoiu'd think the fai.ie site would have it wouldn't you but that just way too obvious

:rolleyes:

Gerry Desmond
29/11/2001, 11:47 AM
In fairness, the FAI/Mick McCarthy are probably waiting till after the WC draw to finalise the warm-up schedule...they probably didn't want to arrange a friendly against people they might be drawn against and then have to cancel those, and start arranging other frindlies.
I realise they could face Argentina but, hey, we'll play them any time. Best in the world at the minute, IMO.

Gerry

Jaime
29/11/2001, 2:13 PM
Apparently there are some "far east" friendlies lined up, anybody know anyting about those?

Wizzard
29/11/2001, 2:48 PM
Next Game 28/02/01 v Denmark (Home)

Gerry Desmond
29/11/2001, 3:42 PM
Originally posted by Jaime
Apparently there are some "far east" friendlies lined up, anybody know anyting about those?

FAI agent, Barry's Tea has spent the past month in the Far East arranging games etc, sussing accomodation etc, prices etc, friendlieness of the natives etc. He's due to report to Merrion Square before Christmas, unless he posts the details here first...

Gerry

James
29/11/2001, 3:46 PM
and there was I thinking he was off scouting players for da boez

Gerry Desmond
29/11/2001, 3:58 PM
Originally posted by James
and there was I thinking he was off scouting players for da boez

Well, of course, he'll work for ANYBODY for a few shillings. You know what these West Corkies are like! He's probably importing cheap digital cameras from the sweatshops too...

Gerry :D

Wizzard
30/11/2001, 9:53 AM
According to the last nights Herald, we are playing Russia in March.

Still no dates confirmed.

Wizzard
30/11/2001, 3:01 PM
From the FIFA website, info the the FAI site didn't have.

DATE VENUE FIXTURE
13-Feb-02 DUBLIN Ireland Republic - Russia
27-Mar-02 TBA Ireland Republic - Denmark
*17-Apr-02 TBA Ireland Republic - Argentina

*Calculated guess.

Wizzard
30/11/2001, 3:02 PM
Yes

Schumi
01/12/2001, 11:20 AM
We have France at some stage too.

Gerry Desmond
01/12/2001, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Schumi
We have France at some stage too.

In one of today's papers (Sun or Mirror), Brendan Menton dumped the suggestion of playing France saying it was misinformed. He's plumping for an African nation for the last friendly before the finals.

Gerry

ccfcman
01/12/2001, 4:01 PM
sometime in march there is the under 21 in the cross -v- denmark

jbrazil
02/12/2001, 4:16 PM
IRELAND’S football chiefs will line up a friendly against African opposition, possibly Nigeria early next May, to help prepare for the World Cup date against Cameroon in Niigata, Japan on Saturday, June 1 (7.30am Irish time). Ireland will kick-off their World Cup preparations against Russia on Wednesday, February 13; Denmark on Wednesday, March 27 and Argentina, one of England’s opponents at next summer’s finals, on Wednesday, April 17. Current World Cup holders France are due to complete the line-up for Ireland’s warm-up matches when they visit Lansdowne Road on Friday, May 17. In the meantime Irish boss Mick McCarthy, delighted with the draw in Korea on Saturday that has also pooled Ireland with three times champions Germany and Saudi Arabia, is off to Mali in January to run the rule over Cameroon when the ’Indomitable Lions’ defend the African Nations Cup

inthenet.ie

Wizzard
04/12/2001, 8:32 AM
The friendlies that have been confirmed so far by the FAI are those against Russia on February 13, Denmark on March 27, USA April 17th and Nigeria on May 16th.

James
04/12/2001, 8:22 PM
my south american sources tell me now that the ireland v argentina game is now off.

also we are to play J-League side Hiroshoma to mark the opening of a new 15,000 seater stadium on May 25th, thats a week b4 the world cup tourn starts