PDA

View Full Version : Is Roddy having problems again.

pateen
28/02/2012, 2:11 PM
Surprised this hasn’t been raised before but is Roddy’s having problems at Monaghan? The exidus of players, especially going to their old manager at Drogheda and players of the calibre of Brennan, Fabio O Brien, Foley, etc.

Is Roddy having another Roddy and is it only a matter of time before he’s on the MNS panel again?

Jofspring
28/02/2012, 3:20 PM
And does this show if Mick Cooke had had more time at the start of last season he would have taken a lot of Monaghans team at the time. I think it does.

Don't get me wrong Roddy did a good job last season but he also inherited a very decent squad (barr the loss of the three lads to Shels) that had all ready done well the previous season. Monaghan without the Brennan's last year weren't half the threat and this showed the second game against us up in Monaghan where Jordan Keegan was their only stand out player.

Bennion, Bayly and Conor Murphy are decent signings but Barr them Roddy has really failed to replace the players lost and the team in my eyes doesn't look half the team it was last season.

Maybe it's because of the lack of budget available that he hasn't been able to improve but as you say it could be for other reasons behind the scenes.

bluewhitearmy
28/02/2012, 3:42 PM
And does this show if Mick Cooke had had more time at the start of last season he would have taken a lot of Monaghans team at the time. I think it does.

Don't get me wrong Roddy did a good job last season but he also inherited a very decent squad (barr the loss of the three lads to Shels) that had all ready done well the previous season. Monaghan without the Brennan's last year weren't half the threat and this showed the second game against us up in Monaghan where Jordan Keegan was their only stand out player.

Bennion, Bayly and Conor Murphy are decent signings but Barr them Roddy has really failed to replace the players lost and the team in my eyes doesn't look half the team it was last season.

Maybe it's because of the lack of budget available that he hasn't been able to improve but as you say it could be for other reasons behind the scenes.

These 2 are nowhere near as good as the people they have replaced tbf.

Foley had signed for them but was having a lot of moans on Twitter that pre-season was crap and things like that before he ended up leaving.

Spudulika
28/02/2012, 3:48 PM
In fairness, if there is a manager in the league who can get a bunch of average players moulded into a competitive side, Rod is the one. Still see them struggling down there, especially now that we look a little stronger than I'd thought previously. Did Mons get compensation for Foley?

bluewhitearmy
28/02/2012, 3:51 PM
In fairness, if there is a manager in the league who can get a bunch of average players moulded into a competitive side, Rod is the one. Still see them struggling down there, especially now that we look a little stronger than I'd thought previously. Did Mons get compensation for Foley?

No he was released.

Sonny
28/02/2012, 4:45 PM
Foley had signed for them but was having a lot of moans on Twitter that pre-season was crap and things like that before he ended up leaving.

Scandalous accusations!! Roddy's preseason is well on track with bingo instead of training, chippers for pre and post match nutrition, and a few slabs of cans for the lads on the bus back from friendlies!

bluewhitearmy
28/02/2012, 5:07 PM
Scandalous accusations!! Roddy's preseason is well on track with bingo instead of training, chippers for pre and post match nutrition, and a few slabs of cans for the lads on the bus back from friendlies!

Stuff of champions in fairness. Apparently this is what brought him success at Bohs,not that he ever talks about winning things at Bohs or anything.

askmehoop
28/02/2012, 5:18 PM
He's havin' problems fitting into his suits, the fat turd

PartySaint
28/02/2012, 5:22 PM
I have no idea what the circumstances were regarding the players going to Drogs but if they were offered more money there is nothing Roddy could do. The aim for Mons this season was always going to be just to stay up. lets see how that goes before starting to ask questions like this

Sonny
28/02/2012, 5:28 PM
I have no idea what the circumstances were regarding the players going to Drogs but if they were offered more money there is nothing Roddy could do. The aim for Mons this season was always going to be just to stay up. lets see how that goes before starting to ask questions like this

Yeah because poor Roddy deserves the benefit of the doubt!

PartySaint
28/02/2012, 5:30 PM
Yeah because poor Roddy deserves the benefit of the doubt!

One season with Mons and he got them promoted. I think he does

Spudulika
28/02/2012, 5:42 PM
One season with Mons and he got them promoted. I think he does

Dodge, I mean PartySaint :-) (I know it's different people, I just didn't look at the name the last time) I agree with you, but I think Rovers fans have a different view. Plus Mons threw a fair bit of money into the mix, Roddy's toll bills for a start!

Magicme
28/02/2012, 5:45 PM
There is only one thing worse than Roddy being talked about and that's him not being talked about.

bluewhitearmy
28/02/2012, 6:06 PM
There is only one thing worse than Roddy being talked about and that's him not being talked about.

I hear he has that wrote on his mirror at home to get him motivated for the trip to Monaghan while he gets into his Louise Copeland suit.

White Horse
28/02/2012, 9:50 PM
Roddy is doing things his way. We may be working with Statsports on physical conditioning but Roddy takes a different approach. He brought his players on a pub crawl around Monaghan last weekend.:

Last Saturday I had the squad in Monaghan for a training session and afterwards they had the opportunity to go and see a bit of Monaghan town. They hit a few of the bars for a few team bonding drinks as I feel it is important that they spend some time off the pitch together to build a tighter unit. This was a great exercise for the lads and they really enjoyed the hospitality they received. I would like to thank the three pubs they were able to get to that day, Terry’s Bar, An Poc Fada and The Squealing Pig, for making them feel so welcome.
http://monaghanunited.tv/?p=1751

passerrby
28/02/2012, 9:51 PM
Everytime I find somebody discussing monaghan it seems to be started a limerick supporter talk about obsessed. The se people wrote us off before last season begun

Jofspring
28/02/2012, 9:57 PM
Everytime I find somebody discussing monaghan it seems to be started a limerick supporter talk about obsessed. The se people wrote us off before last season begun

Ah I think you'll find Pateen the OP is a Cork fan.

Also most Limerick fans on this are involved in many other discussions on foot.ie, not just ones about Monaghan.

Must remember for future reference not to get involved in discussions about Monaghan or else we may be seen as obsessed :rolleyes:

bluewhitearmy
28/02/2012, 11:59 PM

Should check next time really.

dfx-
29/02/2012, 1:03 AM

Roderick being at your club is worse than both, for one..

:)

donnrua
29/02/2012, 8:16 PM
in all fairness to the guy he got an average side promoted at the first time of asking and I know people are saying that it was Mick Cookes team but in my humble opinion that is all the more admirable. apart from the Dublin City - Rovers thing I dont see what the problem is with the guy!

El-Pietro
29/02/2012, 8:51 PM
Mick Cooke got Monaghan to 3rd, Roddy got Monaghan to 3rd

bluewhitearmy
29/02/2012, 9:00 PM
Mick Cooke got Monaghan to 3rd, Roddy got Monaghan to 3rd

Finn Harps got Monaghan to 3rd ;)

Jofspring
29/02/2012, 9:07 PM
Finn Harps got Monaghan to 3rd ;)

Obsessed :p

bluewhitearmy
29/02/2012, 9:10 PM
Obsessed :p

Dont tell em but i actually created the Pateen profile in 2007 in the hope of starting a thraed about Mons with out them knowing it was Limerick fans............No way am i obsessed though :cool:

nigel-harps1954
01/03/2012, 1:31 AM
Be alright now if Finn Harps got Finn Harps to 3rd. Wouldn't care if Monaghan came 3rd in the champions league after that.

pateen
01/03/2012, 11:21 AM
“in all fairness to the guy he got an average side promoted at the first time of asking and I know people are saying that it was Mick Cookes team but in my humble opinion that is all the more admirable. apart from the Dublin City - Rovers thing I dont see what the problem is with the guy!”

Well came to Cork, immediately got rid of Dan Murray our Captain for 5 years in a rather strange way. Went very public on players been spoilt and over paid towards the very end of Cork City’s crisis while very very openly backing the chairman, the now infamous Tom (no bobs) Coghlan.

Lasted maybe three or four weeks and ruffled lots of feathers. Members board came in and didn’t ask him to continue.
Seem like the guy couldn’t shut his gob for a second.

Sorry quote thing working on my machine

Sonny
01/03/2012, 3:57 PM
Roddy is the quintessential spoofer. He doesn't belong anywhere near a football team.

Shannonsider
01/03/2012, 4:03 PM
Roddy is the quintessential spoofer. He doesn't belong anywhere near a football team.

Problem solved. Perfectly suited for Monaghan United job so.

GenerationXI
03/03/2012, 6:15 AM
....must not contribute...must resist temptation to talk about Monaghan...aaarrrggghhh

DUFC4life
03/03/2012, 10:05 AM
I have no idea what the circumstances were regarding the players going to Drogs but if they were offered more money there is nothing Roddy could do.
http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/sport/soccer/fabio-a-hundred-reasons-to-come-back-to-drogheda-3035131.html
Fabio claims mons were the ones offering more money.

bullit
03/03/2012, 10:34 AM
http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/sport/soccer/fabio-a-hundred-reasons-to-come-back-to-drogheda-3035131.html
Fabio claims mons were the ones offering more money.

Loltastic,do you believe it dufc ?

DUFC4life
03/03/2012, 12:36 PM
Loltastic,do you believe it dufc ?
CLAIMS being the main word. Only fabio really knows. Our budget is miniscule though. Expenses only.

bullit
03/03/2012, 12:48 PM
That's Even more Loltastic :)

DUFC4life
03/03/2012, 5:03 PM
That's Even more Loltastic :)
Please explain your lols?

bullit
03/03/2012, 10:54 PM
Please explain your lols?

Drogs dont release what budget they are working on,but the spin is that all of the guys that are currently playing are playing for " fun" LOL ohh and "petrol money" too.Are you trying to tell me this?

Lim till i die
04/03/2012, 12:33 AM
Our budget is miniscule though. Expenses only.

A player can't sign a pro form on expenses only :confused:

Also, define "expenses"

kdjaC
04/03/2012, 1:08 AM
A player can't sign a pro form on expenses only :confused:

Also, define "expenses"

Its €50 basic and expenses, sadly true i know a few lads playing for them and they really are doing it just to play at the top level in ireland. Its great they are doing it but dont fancy playing them.

They get a few quid for petrol and food as expenses.

DUFC4life
04/03/2012, 10:42 AM
Its €50 basic and expenses, sadly true i know a few lads playing for them and they really are doing it just to play at the top level in ireland. Its great they are doing it but dont fancy playing them.

They get a few quid for petrol and food as expenses.
And there we go folks....
Believe it or not, some people do play football for the love of it, look at junior football pitches this morning all over the country. And if you can play at the top level and then earn a better wage elsewhere at the same time than you would with football, well why wouldnt you?

passerrby
04/03/2012, 12:45 PM
Don't want to disagree with you but some of your players are on a lot more than €50 plus expenses

Jofspring
04/03/2012, 2:51 PM
To be honest I find it very hard to believe drogheda only pay 50 euro plus expenses. Some players yes but can't see the Brennan's or Fabio playing for 50 euro and a few quid for petrol.

nigel-harps1954
04/03/2012, 4:49 PM
Ah now, give them a break. It's 50 quid, plus a euro for every Km they travel, another 50 for each training session they're at, another 50 for appearance, another 50 for a goal or clean sheet, and they throw a few quid into the pizza boxes for good measure after the game. It's all expenses you see.

MagicMon
04/03/2012, 7:14 PM
I thought on the admission prices thread it was said that Drogheda were charging €25 in?

mcgonigle
04/03/2012, 7:18 PM
I thought on the admission prices thread it was said that Drogheda were charging €25 in?

All players live in Kerry!

Nah Nah Nah Nah
04/03/2012, 8:40 PM
All players live in Kerry!

Ivor Callely taught them everything about expenses

Macy
05/03/2012, 10:32 AM
Ah now, give them a break. It's 50 quid, plus a euro for every Km they travel, another 50 for each training session they're at, another 50 for appearance, another 50 for a goal or clean sheet, and they throw a few quid into the pizza boxes for good measure after the game. It's all expenses you see.
I don't think LoI clubs can get away with this anymore. iirc post Rovers examinership and what revenue found regarding "expenses", all clubs were pulled up on defacto wages being paid as expenses. Given that Revenue are finally getting around to other sports (witness the GAA heads moaning about revenue clamping down on tax evasion in their sport regarding ref "expenses"), a club would want to be pretty stupid to pay anything more than what revenue specifies as legitmate expenses.

passerrby
05/03/2012, 1:53 PM
Talking to a player recently who says that his expenses cannot exceed his wages, if that's the case then players at drogheda ae getting no more than €99 ,sorry but find that a tad unbelievable