PDA

View Full Version : Plug and Play MP3 Players

liam88
30/07/2004, 10:28 PM
Just got one for my Birthday (last Wednesday) :D
Really nice-they sound expensive but they are well worth it;
You just plug them into your USB post and drag and drop your MP3's onto it the listen to them as you want. Because it's all digital it never jog's and it's really small and light (mine hangs around you neck under your shirt). It is 256mb so it can hold about 80 songs but you can get them in 64mb and 180mb to and they are a bit cheaper.
Qaulity is really great and you can set up lyrics files to put on it. These hardly take up any space and mean that the lyrics come up in time with the song on the little display screen, there's all little hand functions like this and voice recording. They don't all have these functions-as usual the more you pay the more you get.
I'd really recommend them to anyone thinking of buying a new portable music player.
(My only problem at the moment is Kazza has stopped working on my computer :rolleyes: )
Has anyone else got one?

tetsujin1979
31/07/2004, 11:44 AM
I've a Creative Zen 20 GB player, it's the business, used to carry around a portable CD player and a load of CD's, boxes, etc used to get destroyed, now it's all on the player.

Got it for a steal in Dixon's last october, it was 280 down from 520 in a manager's sale, I still say someone put a decimal point in the wrong place!

liam88
02/08/2004, 6:56 AM
I've a Creative Zen 20 GB player, it's the business,

Ain't ya talking about 5000 songs there mate :D
Someone did some calculations with the 40gb IPod-to have that many CD's you'd have to have a room full lol :D
On top o' it the IPod ain't that grand as files cannae be drag an dropped, once they are on they are stuck aunless delted.
Yours sounds nice though ;)

dahamsta
02/08/2004, 9:06 AM
Got an iRiver iHP-140 (http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=H140). Great player, but missing a few features that should really be there, and iRiver has been very slow to upgrade the firmware. Coming soon though apparently.

iPods are for girls.

adam

Peadar
02/08/2004, 9:13 AM
Got an iRiver iHP-140 (http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=H140).

Have been looking at them myself.
Still couldn't really justify buying one though because I don't listen to music that often. Have a nice collection of MP3's on my laptop though.
One day I'll get around to ripping my entire CD collection. :D

patsh
02/08/2004, 9:30 AM
I bought one of these http://www.nomadworld.com/products/Jukebox_ZenXtra/

for my son. As good if not better than an iPod, and is the same price as the cheapest iPod.
With 16,000 song capacity, the only problem is that he spends so much time on Kazaa!

eoinh
02/08/2004, 10:16 AM
I dont go for that new midget-gidget stuff myself.
The reasons ?

1 I dont understand the technology. IPODS, Kazaa's - what language is this? I just about manage to translate Davros' posts! I cant keep learning new phrases and meanings. Jeez i can just about manage "click and drag" and smilies (and then i can only do the :) smilie and the ;) smilie).

2. Im too old to learn

3. I like to turn my music up

4. i like to sing along

5. i like to dance and do air guitar to the music. None of the above are possible on a bus with an IPOD.

6. Hey, i just like CD's and i hope they never die off.

7. Im too lazy to learn

"Im a grover and i groove right in" - you cant enjoy something like TREX with a thingy stuck in your ear.

Peadar
02/08/2004, 10:39 AM
"Im a grover and i groove right in" - you cant enjoy something like TREX with a thingy stuck in your ear.

MP3 is a digitally compressed music format.
You can burn MP3's onto a CD and play it in most DVD players.
If you have a home cinema surround sound system you can then listen to your music up loud as you like.
MP3's simply allow music to be portable in a much less cumbersome fashion than CD, cassette, or vinyl because you can store so many tracks on a tiny built in storage device. Hence, no need to change disks or cassettes.
No need to carry your CD collection around with you.

liam88
02/08/2004, 6:05 PM
Got an iRiver iHP-140.

Cocky :rolleyes:
I prefer plug an play USB so there ;)

I dont go for that new midget-gidget stuff myself.
The reasons ?

1 I dont understand the technology. IPODS, Kazaa's - what language is this? I just about manage to translate Davros' posts!

Hey mate, I have a wee bit trouble with understanding our mate from the gate's posts/e-mails/texts maself :D (don't be offended if your reading this man ;))
Basically IPOD is a brick you can carry round with music files (MP3's as explained above, on) and Kazza is a programme where ya type in the name of almost any song and you get it on your computer-that's the basic principal.
It's free if ya fancy giving it a bash sometime but man-stick to your CD's as well-ya got some real principals.
You say your to old but hey! yours posting on a forum which is a LOT more than most people can do
On the subject slightly.....does anyone have a good tape collection-ma dad has loads in the shed, I remember as a wee lad they were 'the thing', the only one I ever owned maself though was 'The Smurfs'-a birthday present of the smurfs covering loads of pop songs of the time CLASSIC!
Mam and da dalso have a massive vinal collection including some real rare classics-doing up a turntable at the moment :D

tetsujin1979
02/08/2004, 6:19 PM
Ain't ya talking about 5000 songs there mate :D
Someone did some calculations with the 40gb IPod-to have that many CD's you'd have to have a room full lol :D
On top o' it the IPod ain't that grand as files cannae be drag an dropped, once they are on they are stuck aunless delted.
Yours sounds nice though ;)

Have about 120 albums on it at the moment, and it's only half full, handy for carrying around large files as well.

I've a few mates with iPod's, 2 of them have had the problems with batteries already, pain in the arse to get it sorted out.

tiktok
03/08/2004, 8:47 AM
6. Hey, i just like CD's and i hope they never die off.

7. Im too lazy to learn

I'm with you Eoin, ffs I'm trying to rebuild my vinyl collection :D :eek:

that's 'records' by the way ;)

Peadar
03/08/2004, 9:01 AM
ffs I'm trying to rebuild my vinyl collection

I found some great stuff in the Oxfam music shop over here.
Don't have a turntable anymore but I'm sure I'll pick one up soon enough.
I dreamed of having a huge vinyl collection when I was young but by the time I was old enough to buy my own music everything was on CD.
Vinyl to me is like the good china that only comes out of the cabinet on "special" occassions :D

max power
03/08/2004, 9:05 AM
i have a creative player that holds 256 mb, its tiny and ideal for when i'm running. it also has a radio and charges directly through the usb port on the pc.

dahamsta
03/08/2004, 10:06 AM
3. I like to turn my music up

4. i like to sing along

5. i like to dance and do air guitar to the music. None of the above are possible on a bus with an IPOD.
Nothing stopping you doing any of these with an MP3 player.

7. Im too lazy to learn
There's your real answer. The rest are just excuses, you're just lazy.

adam

dahamsta
03/08/2004, 10:12 AM
I prefer plug an play USB so thereAnd the iRiver isn't?

adam

Peadar
03/08/2004, 10:35 AM
I prefer plug an play USB so there

And the iRiver isn't?

adam

I think what he means is that he plugs his player directly into the USB port and it shows up as a storage device which you can drop files onto as opposed to connecting your player via a USB cable and managing your data through a GUI.
We'll see how happy he is when his 256Mb* is full and he has to start deleting files :D

*Actually space available is less than stated storage capacity