PDA

View Full Version : City 1-2 Pats - ratings

Sheridan
30/07/2004, 2:54 PM
Yes, we can still stay up. But the revival needs to start against Derry, when nothing less than three points will do. Nothing else to be said, really, hopefully last night's performance is the last time we'll have to witness a baffling capitulation after forty encouraging minutes.

Barry Ryan: 5.5
Never looked comfortable; punched (or rather, tamely slapped) the ball more often than he caught it, a sure sign of nerves in a ‘keeper.

Tony O’Connor: 6
Failure to complete more than forty-five minutes for the second league game running would seem to suggest that Toccy has cashed his chips in senior football. Hope I’m wrong, but it’s hard to escape that conclusion.

Keith Foy: 6.5
Occasional attacks of the ubiquitous City Jitters notwithstanding, Foyser had enough zip about him (particularly in the first half) to warrant a decent mark.

Derek Griffin: 6.5
Did quite well in the air, but seemed determined to give every City fan in attendance kittens with his repeated attempts to dribble and feint past opposing attackers. To give him his due, most of these efforts were successful.

Chris Deans: 7
Competed well in the air and kept organising, encouraging and cajoling his defence in a way that belied his tender years. Not immune to the odd wobble, but with the appropriate amount of coaching and encouragement Chris could develop into a top-class defender.

Cathal O’Connor: 5
Another stinker from Cottsy I’m afraid. What’s happened to the swashbuckling matador who tormented Bohs at Tolka and Dalymount? We badly need him now.

Killian Brennan: 7.5
Probably his best performance in Viking colours to date. Some superb skill on the ball and a couple of sublime through-balls. We need to get him far more involved in the game. Could be a key figure in City’s clamber for survival.

Jason Colwell: 6.5
Went through a few quiet spells, but overall far better than in recent weeks.

Dom Tierney: 8
We would appear to have signed someone who looks exactly like Dom Tierney and has exactly the same name, because this all-action midfield marvel bore no on-field resemblance to the sluggish, diffident impostor we’ve seen so far this season. I don’t know whether it was something Roddy said, a new haircut or the acquisition of some magic boots, but Dom was everywhere, winning challenges, launching counter-attacks and using the ball well. More of the same for the rest of the season, please!

Gary O’Neill: 6
Kept his cool to head City in front, but not up to his usual high standard thereafter, and hasn’t been for some weeks. Seems to prefer acting as the spearhead in a 4-5-1 formation.

Philly Hughes: 6.5
Earned a fortunate assist when his attempted lob bounced through to Gary O’Neill for City’s opening goal. Hit the target several times in the first half without unduly discommoding Adamson. Their undoubted individual qualities aside, he and Gary are just too similar to partner one another up front.

SUBS

Robbie Collins: 5
I know he’s played on the right hand side of midfield for the Under-21s, but shifting a striker to an unfamiliar position seldom pays off, and it didn’t on this occasion. Failed to deliver one decent cross all night, despite repeated attempts.

Pierre Ennis: 2
Redefined the word “’mare.” I don’t want to be too harsh on him; with underage caps for Ireland and a spell at Premiership club Aston Villa on his CV, he simply cannot be as poor a player we’ve seen this season. It may well be that someday he’ll re-find his form and develop into a decent footballer, but we simply cannot risk another performance like this in our current predicament.

Robbie Farrell: 6
Aargh! How did that last minute shot stay out? How?? Robbie made a fool of me by causing me to continue screaming with joy for fully five seconds after his shot hit the post (I genuinely thought I saw it roll into the net) but one can hardly blame him for being so fractionally off-target.

MANAGER

Roddy Collins: 7
That Jason and Dom’s sudden and unexpected resurgence coincided with Roddy’s arrival can hardly be dismissed as mere chance, so he deserves credit on that score. Roddy’s puzzling omission of Barry Burke an Dave McGill from the starting line-up (and even the bench!) cost us, but without knowing the precise circumstances behind that decision it’s hard to criticise him for it. Sartorially, Roddy made a steady start (and with two cameras shoved in his face for ninety minutes, he was under a lot of pressure.) Impossible to find fault with the suit, but his tie straddled the thin line between classy and jaunty without quite falling either side.

bigfoot
03/08/2004, 10:20 AM
he wont be going anywhere til end of season!

he contracted til then and also you cant transfer twice in the one season!