PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver/Seattle

BonnieShels
26/02/2012, 11:13 PM
So heading here in July.

Have a really good Canuck mate in Vancouver (well, Victoria)but I'm wondering if any of ye have anything to say about either city from the POV of a Paddy/Tan/Jock/Taff/Langer etc...?

theworm2345
26/02/2012, 11:20 PM
So heading here in July.

Have a really good Canuck mate in Vancouver (well, Victoria)but I'm wondering if any of ye have anything to say about either city from the POV of a Paddy/Tan/Jock/Taff/Langer etc...?
Can't help you there, but I was in Vancouver when I was about 11. You definitely picked the right time of year to go and Vancouver is a pretty nice city. Good sea food and Chinese food. The only attraction I remember visiting there was the aquarium which was decent, though you can do whale watching tours I think as well. Some interesting Native American (or First Nations as they call them in Canada) stuff there too. I have also heard good things about going to Whistler if you're an "outdoorsy" sort of person...you can do a day trip and hikes and stuff up there, but I think its expensive. I'm assuming all of this could well be lost on you as you are neither a kid nor, I believe, do you have a family...one bit of advice I can give you is from what I hear they call strippers "rippers" or "tippers" (I can't remember) up there.

pineapple stu
27/02/2012, 9:29 AM
Thought Vancouver was a bit dull myself. It's nice and all, but I suppose having come from ten days in the Rockies, it's just not in the same league. The mountains on the edge of town call to you, and the outdoorsy places (like the Capilano suspension bridge) are basically rip-offs of the real thing. Stanley Park is nice (but then so are lots of parks around the world); there are some nice restaurants (this place (http://www.topofvancouver.com/) was decent, as I recall, but then so are lots of restaurants around the world); the aquarium is nice (but then so are lots of aquariums around the world).

Whale watching should be a definite. Have vague memories that hot-air ballooning was on offer (if you can get up before sun-rise), and the north of Vancouver Island has some decent hiking. Depends what you're interested in really.

Magicme
28/02/2012, 11:40 AM
Please please please go to Whippletree Junction on the Island and take a photo of the sign with the population on it. When I was there last in 1989 there were 12 living there and I wanted to be number 13. Aw its the most perfect place on the planet.

shedite
06/03/2012, 1:18 PM
Lived in Vancouver for over a year so here are my suggestions:

Vancouver
- Cycle the Stanley Park sea wall
- Climb Grouse Mountain
- Visit Calipano Rope Bridge (or the free one up the road to escape the tourist trail)
- Walk around UBC campus and Wreak Beach (!)
- Spend a day on the beach/beer gardens in Kits
- Day trip to Whistler (or longer if ya fancy some downhill biking)
- There isn't really any history/museums to the city, that's not what Vancouver's about, so don't do it for the sake of it. Seattle has history.

Vancouver Island - Tofino
- The drive to here is the most amazing road in the world. Sensational scenery
- Spend a day surfing
- Hot Springs and Whale Watching boat trip

Seattle
- Seattle Underground tour
- First Starbucks
- Space Needle and monorail
- Union Lake Boat trip

BonnieShels
12/04/2012, 11:43 PM
Only saw this now. Cheers dude.

Have a car for the whole trip and am really looking forward to driving to Seattle.

BonnieShels
08/07/2012, 11:12 PM
Right lads. Heading this Friday. In the intervening time Portland has been added to the itinerary. Any tips?
Will be driving from Seattle to Portland via Port Angeles, Aberdeen and Cannon Beach so if you have any tips for along the way that would be great.

CraftyToePoke
09/07/2012, 12:03 PM
Right lads. Heading this Friday. In the intervening time Portland has been added to the itinerary. Any tips?
Will be driving from Seattle to Portland via Port Angeles, Aberdeen and Cannon Beach so if you have any tips for along the way that would be great.

Just seen this, what a trip, will be amazing. If it was me I'd be looking to take in a gig in Portland someplace The Wipers used to play, without whom music would have been very different. By that I mean worse. - http://portland.thedelimagazine.com/ this site may be of assistance, seems to be a great scene there musically again of late, if it ever went away.

Aberdeen, under the bridge maybe, for a spot of quiet contemplation and in Seattle, Sub Pop are still alive and well with gigs aplenty going on under their banner.

Enjoy it.

Magicme
09/07/2012, 2:56 PM
You are following in my 15year old self's footsteps. Amazing trip. Go to Brownsville and Whippletree Junction. They are 2 of my favourite places ever.

BonnieShels
09/07/2012, 5:40 PM
Just seen this, what a trip, will be amazing. If it was me I'd be looking to take in a gig in Portland someplace The Wipers used to play, without whom music would have been very different. By that I mean worse. - http://portland.thedelimagazine.com/ this site may be of assistance, seems to be a great scene there musically again of late, if it ever went away.

Aberdeen, under the bridge maybe, for a spot of quiet contemplation and in Seattle, Sub Pop are still alive and well with gigs aplenty going on under their banner.

Enjoy it.

Well there's a reason I mentioned Aberdeen. :-)

Music when I'm away is always my priority. I'll be at Bluesfest in Ottawa next Sunday (Metric ahoy)

I won't know where I am yet on what days until I'll be there. So I'll see what happens in that regard when I get there.

ArdeeBhoy
20/07/2012, 6:28 AM
So how was it?

BonnieShels
21/07/2012, 4:37 AM
There's week to go... I'll get to a pc and post a full synopsis.

But, can I just say that Vancouver Island is the most beautiful place I've ever been. Incredible.
Go go go go go.

I'll post pictures when i get back.

Magicme
21/07/2012, 7:50 AM
One of old neighbours from Edmonton lives near Duncan and posts photos on Facebook of the island all the time and although my 15yr old self didn't appreciate the scenery much, I do now.