PDA

View Full Version : Best of the rest XI?

Stuttgart88
22/02/2012, 8:00 PM
Not a bad team can be made up from those who won't be on the plane:

-------------------Paddy Kenny------------------

S. Reid---Shane Duffy----Paddy McCarthy---Marc Wilson

Lawrence--- Ireland--- Hoolahan-----Pilkington

-----------Stokes------Best--------

We've fielded worse teams in the last decade when at full strength!

And that's assuming Coleman, McClean, Fahey, James McCarthy etc. are all picked.

Subs could include Rory Delap, Noel Hunt, Paul Tierney, Joe Murphy, Adam Rooney etc.

Who have I missed that would make our "best of the rest XI"?

Paddy Garcia
22/02/2012, 8:07 PM
Two nominations for me:

Chris McCann, probably could challenge the two we have on the plane. And Clark.

TrapAPony
22/02/2012, 8:17 PM
-------------Kenny-----------------

S. Reid---Wilson---Duffy---Tierney

Pilkington----Meyler---Clark---Hoolahan

-------------Ireland
------------------------Best--------

Subs :

------------------------Joe Murphy,

Joey O'Brien----- Alex Pearce---- Paddy McCarthy---- Greg Cunningham,

Liam Lawrence--- Chris McCann---- Conor Henderson----Robbie Brady

------Anthony Stokes-----Connor Sammon

Paddy Garcia
22/02/2012, 8:29 PM
Good point Joey O'Brien seems to be getting at good run at West Ham - be great to see him resurrect his career, and with us.

Stuttgart88
22/02/2012, 9:25 PM
Yep, forgot about Clark, McCann, O'Brien and even Meyler. I ignored the likes of Brady and Henderson because they're still U21 eligible and still getting established. I haven't seen Pearce yet.

Sean Scannell too of course.

Jonathon Douglas started for us last time we played the Czechs, and Henderson and McShane were rookies. Now our reserve squad's squad players (as per TrapAPony) include stronger players.

Stuttgart88
22/02/2012, 9:36 PM
-------------------Kenny------------------

S. Reid---Duffy---Wilson---Tierney

Pilkington---Ireland---Meyler---Clark---Hoolahan

------------------Best--------

All Premier League, and most are regulars or prominent fringe players.

EAFC_rdfl
23/02/2012, 4:59 AM
nice thread, makes you feel good about the squad at the moment! Cillian Sheridan is another who if things improved for him could re-appear again

AlaskaFox
23/02/2012, 9:52 AM
Keith Treacy deserves a mention alongside Chris McCann anyhow.

Carrigaline
23/02/2012, 10:16 AM
Two nominations for me:

Chris McCann, probably could challenge the two we have on the plane. And Clark.
Watched McCann twice this season since he came back from his awful run of injuries, he has not looked the same player.

Surprised no one has mentioned Jeff Hendrick. A mate of mine who is a Derby fan was amazed that Paul Green can get a call-up, but Hendrick can't, most Derby fans rate Hendrick higher.

Carrigaline
23/02/2012, 10:18 AM
-------------Kenny-----------------

S. Reid---Duffy---Clark---Tierney

Pilkington----Meyler---Wilson---Hoolahan

-------------Ireland
------------------------Best--------

Wilson has been playing full-back and Clark has been playing mostly defensive midfield and left-back on the odd occasion.

TrapAPony
23/02/2012, 11:16 AM
Wilson has been playing full-back and Clark has been playing mostly defensive midfield and left-back on the odd occasion.
Yes, I know that, however, both players are capable of playing in various positions.

nigel-harps1954
23/02/2012, 12:27 PM
Liam Miller and Caleb Folan to mention two.

Murfinator
23/02/2012, 2:44 PM
No mention for the one outsider who actually played a considerable role in our qualifying campaign? Kevin Kilbane.

Murfinator
23/02/2012, 2:47 PM
All Premier League, and most are regulars or prominent fringe players.

Would be all well and good except theres question marks over Pilkington and Tierneys actual eligibility and desire to play for Ireland while Paddy Kenny and Stephen Ireland have already said they don't want to play for us. Steven Reid retired from internationals and Marc Wilson had such an attitude/commitment problem that it sparked Trap to demand an apology from him before he'd consider him again.

It's a damaged goods XI more than anything.

tetsujin1979
23/02/2012, 3:07 PM
No mention for the one outsider who actually played a considerable role in our qualifying campaign? Kevin Kilbane.
Kilbane's only on the outside because he's injured, if he was fit, I think he'd be a certainty to go

Closed Account
23/02/2012, 3:23 PM
Marc Wilson had such an attitude/commitment problem that it sparked Trap to demand an apology from him before he'd consider him again. .
It's been acknowledged by Trapattoni that he wasn't talking about Marc and that he has no problem with him.

Stuttgart88
23/02/2012, 5:54 PM
It's a damaged goods XI more than anything.Even if fully true, there's O'Brien, Meyler et al. The point that we've got some depth in numbers of a particular (good but not excellent) standard completely holds.

Murfinator
24/02/2012, 2:21 PM
It's been acknowledged by Trapattoni that he wasn't talking about Marc and that he has no problem with him.

source? I hadn't heard about that.

Closed Account
24/02/2012, 3:08 PM
source? I hadn't heard about that. Can't find anyting official but it's mentioned in this post: http://foot.ie/threads/116102-Shane-Duffy?p=1573620&viewfull=1#post1573620
“I have no problem with Marc. Before – when it was reported that I criticised him – there was a miscommunication. Marc wasn’t the player in question, it was a different player. I’d have no problem selecting him again. He offers us cover in various positions and has strength on the ball.”