PDA

View Full Version : UEFA turn down City's application for Europe

MariborKev
21/02/2012, 12:27 PM
It has been confirmed that UEFA have rejected DCFC's application to play in Europe.

legendz
21/02/2012, 12:35 PM
Disappointing for the league. We need our best teams involved and Derry are one of them. Looks like it's down to the two Rovers again.

CuanaD
21/02/2012, 1:08 PM
Disappointing for the league. We need our best teams involved and Derry are one of them. Looks like it's down to the two Rovers again.
Disapointing for the league & for Derry, but probably the right result anyway - good for the game as a whole that laws like this aren't fudged over.
Is it confirmed who gets that extra euro spot now?

bluewhitearmy
21/02/2012, 1:11 PM
Disapointing for the league & for Derry, but probably the right result anyway - good for the game as a whole that laws like this aren't fudged over.
Is it confirmed who gets that extra euro spot now?

Bohs i think are nest in line.

Hibs4Ever
21/02/2012, 1:12 PM
Feel sorry for the Derry supporters, but this is definitely the correct decision

Dodge
21/02/2012, 2:30 PM

2 rovers again? One of this Rovers hasn't won a European tie in 15 years so I'm not sure again is the right word...

ger121
21/02/2012, 2:43 PM
Life is good:)

legendz
21/02/2012, 2:48 PM
2 rovers again? One of this Rovers hasn't won a European tie in 15 years so I'm not sure again is the right word...

Agreed I guess. I'm presuming already that Sligo will have improved on last year and be more effective in Europe this year. Change of manager though is another point to be noted. I can only hope.

askmehoop
21/02/2012, 2:49 PM
Rules are rules, i suppose. Just a pity as Derry deserve to be there after last season.

legendz
21/02/2012, 2:52 PM
Life is good:)

Belated congratulations on ye're qualification for Europe. Very good return for a team some, myself included, who thought ye would've been battling to avoid relegation.

legendz
21/02/2012, 2:58 PM
Rules are rules, i suppose. Just a pity as Derry deserve to be there after last season.

Is Cl/EL '12/'13 the last season they can't take part in Europe?

marinobohs
21/02/2012, 3:51 PM
It has been confirmed that UEFA have rejected DCFC's application to play in Europe.

Thought this was expected ? and that FAI would appeal or are we post that stage ?

pineapple stu
21/02/2012, 3:56 PM
I assume UEFA (rightly) told Delaney where to go.

marinobohs
21/02/2012, 4:03 PM
I assume UEFA (rightly) told Delaney where to go.

Ah, but wait until he sends round a tray of tinnies, paid for from his own pocket :o Knew Derry did not comply with Uefa rules (as discussed in seperate thread) but I thought FAI were confident of getting an exemption.

Pesky Europeans just dont appreciate good fudge :cool:

nigel-harps1954
21/02/2012, 5:38 PM
Derry City chairman Philip O’Doherty has admitted that an appeal may be too expensive for the club.

O'Doherty said: "We’re going to have a look at that when we get the statement but it would be unlikely that we would be successful.

"We did a very, very good application and the questions we were asked, they were answered positively. The amount of money we have spent taking care of previous responsibilities, I would have thought would have been enough to basically bend the rules.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/bohs-likely-to-take-derrys-europa-league-place-540689.html

Disgraceful comment from the clubs chairman.

A N Mouse
21/02/2012, 5:51 PM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/bohs-likely-to-take-derrys-europa-league-place-540689.html

EH?

Perfectly cromulent definition of what an exemption is. No?

CSFShels
21/02/2012, 5:51 PM

Definitely. Thankfully UEFA have done the right thing here. Definitely the right thing for the league, and everyone except for Derry City.

SwanVsDalton
21/02/2012, 9:12 PM

Fairly honest. It was pretty obvious that's what Derry and the FAI were asking UEFA to do. After all it's in the club's interest to try, and at least he didn't pretend or lie or fudge over what was being asked.

Fair that it failed too.

Neish
25/02/2012, 11:40 PM
Fairly honest. It was pretty obvious that's what Derry and the FAI were asking UEFA to do. After all it's in the club's interest to try, and at least he didn't pretend or lie or fudge over what was being asked.

Fair that it failed too.

Maybe in the clubs interest(and i suppose you can't blame them for trying) but not for the FAI's set a precedent if Derry were let way with this why not other clubs?