PDA

View Full Version : Glens win in Europe

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 4:45 PM
Don't talk to me about those O6C notes. :mad: Conchita's cousin gave some money to the kids at Xmas when she was visiting us before going to see her brother in Tanfield. We tried cashing them in at some Xmas theme park on what used to be the Millenium dome and we were told to clear off as they were not, and I quote, real money. For the first time in my life I was screaming at the Millwall-esque bird on the counter, 'It's an integral part of the United Kingdom (so it is, yer wee cay, yer!)' but it was all in vain. I mean you can spend Euros in the O6C and get them out of a hole in the wall in Belfast, but try spending sterling without the German lady on the front in Britain... :rolleyes:

Paddy J's still trying to get back on this thread. :eek: :D

Sorry, lopez, I tried your Euro-spending theory in a large retail unit in East Belfast today.

The cashier, quite correctly, informed me that they were not legal tender but was happy to accept my Ulster Bank notes.

Just as several retail units in the nation's capital did when I visited Brixton last month. :cool:

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 4:59 PM
More stereotyping. I'm impressed. :rolleyes: The majority's decision over self-determination was given at the 1919 Westminster election over the status of something of a more credible 'constituent of the United Kingdom' with 'a far more distinct and separate identity, or culture' than exists now (a plebiscite as you know was never granted). The answer was for it to secede.

Interesting how you picture Irish freedom fighters as mad (I'd certainly concur with you on Pearse), but are quiet about British politicians of the period. Perhaps stupid would be more appropriate? I mean if home rule was granted in the first place, chances are we'd all be going to watch our side with a British passport now. Alternative history...what a way to start an argument! :D

At state school, we studied domestic history in the 17th century and foreign policy in the 1800s (so, Id be happy to chat about the Great Fire and Palmerston all day ;) ), so I cannot claim to have your's - or Dr Paddy J's - in-depth knowledge of British domestic and foreign policy from 1914-1922, so cannot possibly comment on "British politicians of the period" (I'm sure you'll let me know, however, but I'll endeavour to find out from a more balanced source).

However, I seen this cool, big budget movie where the 'Big Man' was getting pretty het-up around Dublin town, playing some geezer called 'Michael Collins'. As the movie covered him in a 'romantic, heroic' light, a rather large rat could be smelt (metaphorically).

Da flicks, eh? Next they'll be portraying the Yankees cleaning up solo on Dunkirk beach. :)

liam88
16/08/2004, 5:22 PM
Da flicks, eh? Next they'll be portraying the Yankees cleaning up solo on Dunkirk beach. :)

OR missing out the 20 000 Irish who took part on D-Day :mad:

On the subject of Ulster notes-who's on them in place of the German lass in the fancy hat.......surely not the dutchman, 'mad do' (ja) or big ian................

( :rolleyes: )

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 6:23 PM
OR missing out the 20 000 Irish who took part on D-Day :mad:

On the subject of Ulster notes-who's on them in place of the German lass in the fancy hat.......surely not the dutchman, 'mad do' (ja) or big ian................

( :rolleyes: )

Oh, I think your own government does a pretty good job "missing out" on those Irishmen that fought in two world wars.

And, Liam, I just wish our head of state was British .... just like your's :D

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 6:26 PM
but try spending sterling without the German lady on the front in Britain... :rolleyes:

It's worth repeating again but - sigh - we'd love a real true Brit as our Head of State, just like our neighbours 'down Souff' ;)

sylvo
16/08/2004, 7:20 PM
I got the Euros today, Sylvo, thanks for asking. :)

Hold onto any of them that you don't spend, cause anytime in the last two year's that i've been in the occupied six county's i've alway's used them, even place's where there's flag's from foreign country's like Britain flying outside the shop have taken them. Maybe that shop assistant in East Belfast was having a bad day. :rolleyes:

sylvo
16/08/2004, 8:11 PM
[QUOTE=Lux Interior] . Of course NI is a country, whether you choose to recognise it or not

Is this a country like Narnia where you have to climb in through the back of a wardrobe to get into it and there's all unicorn's and Lion's hanging out there. :p
Or is it more like Munchkin land that Judy Garland visited in the Wizard of Oz after she got caught up in a hurracaine, or is it like middle earth and you can only get to it after you've taken some of what J R Tolkin took when he was writing Lord of the ring's, cause Lux I was up in Fermangh and Tyrone a couple of week's ago and I did'nt notice any other country.
I noticed more Ireland jersey's then I would in Dublin or Kildare, lot's of Gealic football top's, I spent only euro's all the time :D plus a lot of the local's in any of the pub's I was in also spent Euro's plus everybody was watching the GAA on RTE in any of the pub's I went into.
So Lux where's this wee country. :confused:
Ahh I did notice the road marking's where different, I guess that must make it a nation after all. :rolleyes:

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 9:01 PM
[QUOTE=Lux Interior] . Of course NI is a country, whether you choose to recognise it or not

Is this a country like Narnia where you have to climb in through the back of a wardrobe to get into it and there's all unicorn's and Lion's hanging out there.
Or is it more like Munchkin land that Judy Garland visited in the Wizard of Oz after she got caught up in a hurracaine, or is it like middle earth and you can only get to it after you've taken some of what J R Tolkin took when he was writing Lord of the ring's, cause Lux I was up in Fermangh and Tyrone a couple of week's ago and I did'nt notice any other country.
I noticed more Ireland jersey's then I would in Dublin or Kildare, lot's of Gealic football top's, I spent only euro's all the time :D plus a lot of the local's in any of the pub's I was in also spent Euro's plus everybody was watching the GAA on RTE in any of the pub's I went into.
So Lux where's this wee country.
Ahh I did notice the road marking's where different, I guess that must make it a nation after all.

I hope you enjoyed your wee stay in our humble wee home - I wouldn't worry about the prevalence of GAA tops over in this part of the world, sylvo. Plenty of Rangers, OWC and Glens - a few smattering of Linfield [sigh] but no 'An Dun' shirts .... Im afraid our esteemed county only come as far as Carryduff (and even then under the cloak of darkness).

Pop over to this part of Belfast next time and I'll buy you a pint - it's on Liz and myself ... but don't bring those Euro thingies :p

And I get RTE as well, sylvo. Enjoyed the Shelbourne game last week but thankfully our state broadcaster (which I know you'se all secretly watch) doesn't broadcast something as hip as the 'Angelus'.

Now, be off with you, I'm packing - you might catch me on BBC1 tomorrow night - they're showing our country's match live :cool:

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 9:03 PM
Hold onto any of them that you don't spend, cause anytime in the last two year's that i've been in the occupied six county's i've alway's used them, even place's where there's flag's from foreign country's like Britain flying outside the shop have taken them. Maybe that shop assistant in East Belfast was having a bad day. :rolleyes:

I also seen a couple of Ivory Coast flags driving past a grotty estate near the motorway yesterday. ;)

I've never seen "Britains" flag, sylvo.

Pedantically,

Lux

liam88
16/08/2004, 9:14 PM
Would seem that Fermagh, Tyrone, Armagh and Derry are all Irish! Seems only to be certain parts of Belfast that are ANY different-apart from yon infamous road markings ;).... not to sure bout Antrim? anyone? :confused:
Will be watching the 26c Ireland on Wednesday but may have a wee look at the 6c who decided to knock together their own team tommorow-if I was a lad at the same time as some of the others I may have donned the ol Nord Iron shirt (I remember your tale Lopez :D ) but unfortunatley missed ma slot and by the time I was old enough to fit in a proper football shirt it was nearing the end of the troubles :rolleyes:
Well we'll see the board explode with comments tommorow night so I'll be off for now ;) .......

lopez
16/08/2004, 9:22 PM
Sorry, lopez, I tried your Euro-spending theory in a large retail unit in East Belfast today.

The cashier, quite correctly, informed me that they were not legal tender but was happy to accept my Ulster Bank notes.

Just as several retail units in the nation's capital did when I visited Brixton last month. :cool:Yeah, that's why a hole in the wall in Donegall Square dishes out Euros and Sterling. As for the notes, I finally got rid of them at the tube station (where the booking clerks are fully informed of what is and isn't legal tender).

It's worth repeating again but - sigh - we'd love a real true Brit as our Head of State, just like our neighbours 'down Souff' ;)Hoh, hoh, Lux! British because she was - shock horror - born in the O6C. Your switching passports again you naughty boy, and you're looking a wee eejit in the process. Look, we had a genuine Briton as head of state thirty years ago. Oh, wait a minute, we had another one fourty years before him aswell. Which sort of throws a spanner in the works of the UO26C being totally prejudiced to people of another religious persuasion taking the top job. Unlike yourselves of course (I'm thinking you have your British passport with you now) although you don't mind looking through most of Europe to ensure a true Briton of the wrong religious persuasion, but right family connections, doesn't get the job.

...thankfully our state broadcaster (which I know you'se all secretly watch) doesn't broadcast something as hip as the 'Angelus'Didn't know Readers Wives TV was the state broadcaster. It's the only thing I secretly watch. Safe journey Lux and don't over indulge in the chocolate. ;)

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 9:57 PM
Yeah, that's why a hole in the wall in Donegall Square dishes out Euros and Sterling. As for the notes, I finally got rid of them at the tube station (where the booking clerks are fully informed of what is and isn't legal tender).
Hoh, hoh, Lux! British because she was - shock horror - born in the O6C. Your switching passports again you naughty boy, and you're looking a wee eejit in the process. Look, we had a genuine Briton as head of state thirty years ago. Oh, wait a minute, we had another one fourty years before him aswell. Which sort of throws a spanner in the works of the UO26C being totally prejudiced to people of another religious persuasion taking the top job. Unlike yourselves of course (I'm thinking you have your British passport with you now) although you don't mind looking through most of Europe to ensure a true Briton of the wrong religious persuasion, but right family connections, doesn't get the job.
Didn't know Readers Wives TV was the state broadcaster. It's the only thing I secretly watch. Safe journey Lux and don't over indulge in the chocolate. ;)

Heh, heh, it's common knowledge that the First Trust Bank in Donegall Square churns out Euros - which is where I got mine today. No great drama here, given that a different jurisdiction, less than an hour 'souff', trades in same moneys.

That was a great bite there Lopez regarding 'our Mary'. I wasn't aware Mary the Brit was off a " another religious persuasion". Kudos to the non-monocultural souff, then ... I'll be able to wear my OWC top safely through Dundalk tomorrow because of this bountiful tolerance (bet ya 10 Euros I won't, though ;) ).

Ta for the closing sentiments, lopez .... unfortunately the Irish state low-cost airline insists on photo-ID at the ticket desk - looks like I'll be bringing my passport in my skyrocket after all ............ :)

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 10:22 PM
Bet ye also :rolleyes: ......the An LĂș Bhoys might mistake it for fancy-dress ;) .....give our regards to the cheese-eaters....one day a Legitimate Irish side'll turn-up! :p

Yet they didn't "turn up" for the EC qualifiers, Dev :D

sylvo
17/08/2004, 9:07 AM
I hope you enjoyed your wee stay in our humble wee home - I wouldn't worry about the prevalence of GAA tops over in this part of the world, sylvo. Plenty of Rangers, OWC and Glens - a few smattering of Linfield [sigh] but no 'An Dun' shirts .... Im afraid our esteemed county only come as far as Carryduff (and even then under the cloak of darkness).

Pop over to this part of Belfast next time and I'll buy you a pint - it's on Liz and myself ... but don't bring those Euro thingies :p

And I get RTE as well, sylvo. Enjoyed the Shelbourne game last week but thankfully our state broadcaster (which I know you'se all secretly watch) doesn't broadcast something as hip as the 'Angelus'.

Now, be off with you, I'm packing - you might catch me on BBC1 tomorrow night - they're showing our country's match live :cool:

That's a shame that you get no An Dun jersey's around yer way, so I take it those two sunday's one in 91 the other in 94 when your bhoy's were crowned all Ireland champion's everyone around your way was busy looking at the clock ticking away counting the minute's going by until monday morning while the rest of the county shook it's boothy. :rolleyes:
Lux i'll take you up on that pint though from yerself and Liz, currancy's not a problem if she's buying, I'll have to get the auld rave runner's on and get up to Belfast and also add the Oval to my new ground's list.
Agree with yer about the Angelus, Ireland's moved on from those day's of J C McQuaid throwing his view's about religon in everyone's face, and discriminating against anyone who don't dance to his and his homie's tune, just like those people who march down people's street's who don't want them there with high viz vest's and phiss pot's on their head's backed up by cop's soldier's and thug's in Rangers jersey's It's time to drop relic's of the past like that also.
Anyway Lux you got yer own Travel show on UTV, Zurich one week Sweden the next. ;)
If yer get to any of the those huge lake's over there, sit down have a couple of bev's and you'd almost think you were sitting in the lovely Ulster countryside like Fermangh, Cavan or Monaghan.

lopez
23/08/2004, 12:34 PM
Lux,Sorry I've been quiet for a week but have been chilling down in the West Cork heatwave. :D You seem a bit paranoid about wearing your glens shirt in the sarff, although I wouldn't wear anything not of the rulling hegemony in Dundalk. But I was in Killarney the other day and I spotted a teenager wearing a red/black striped top with 'Ford' on the front. As you do with interesting looking shirts I had to get closer to see who they were, expecting some Dutch or German outfit and found out it was a Crusaders shirt. I didn't ask if he'd been threatened recently?

Good luck in Sweden, hombre! ;)