PDA

View Full Version : Glens win in Europe

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ballyhenryglens
10/08/2004, 9:59 PM
i'm really looking forward to thursday.
hopefully we can put up another good show, and do our wee irish league proud.
i don't know much about elfsborg, to be honest, but i do know the glens face quite a formidable task....but-you never know-this is football, and stranger things have happened!
good luck, glens!!

i feel overall, that the glens have strenghtened there squad and at the very least, launch a serious challenge for the irish league championship this season!!

ccfcman
11/08/2004, 10:23 AM
negative thinking there :confused:

liam88
11/08/2004, 5:56 PM
Lopez-Got to congratulate you on your new location and sig-given us a laugh :D Cheers mate

Lux Interior
11/08/2004, 6:20 PM
i'm really looking forward to thursday.
hopefully we can put up another good show, and do our wee irish league proud.
i don't know much about elfsborg, to be honest, but i do know the glens face quite a formidable task....but-you never know-this is football, and stranger things have happened!
good luck, glens!!

i feel overall, that the glens have strenghtened there squad and at the very least, launch a serious challenge for the irish league championship this season!!

Bit-part Euro glory is nice, Ballyhenry, but the Gibson Cup is the REAL prize this - and every other - year.

Coyle's just back from Sverige and reckons they are a shade better than the Finns but, crucially, beatable.

"Bless 'em all .."

lopez
11/08/2004, 11:27 PM
Lopez-Got to congratulate you on your new location and sig-given us a laugh :D Cheers mateDid you ever see the state of Suzanne Ross? Lassie was more of a babe! :D Fux (BJ is no longer with us :( ) and Ballyhenry, good luck tonight in Sweden. ;)

ballyhenryglens
12/08/2004, 9:49 PM
well just back from the oval and although we lost the tie 1-0, i felt overall we give a very good performance, and were unlucky to at least have not got a draw from this evenings encounter.
for me the key men for the glens were holmes,and mccann who were outstanding.---when the swedes went down to 10 men , however-i felt our tactics were slightly on the negative side---we should have attacked them much more, as there keeper looked very 'dodgy' at times.

would like to have seen morgan come on, and i thought keegan did not have one of his more better games in a green, red & black jersey.

one lack of concentration at the back cost us the match, although i believe it was never a free kick which led to the build up of the goal in the first place.

pity we didn't get anything out of this game but lets keep optimistic and say this is merely half time!!

what do you think, lux-- keep the faith and bless 'em all!!
:)

liam88
13/08/2004, 6:20 PM
Did you ever see the state of Suzanne Ross? Lassie was more of a babe! :D Fux (BJ is no longer with us :( ) and Ballyhenry, good luck tonight in Sweden. ;)

lol :D
Some of the folks at my school had a grange hill mentality
I got all the stick for ma lovely shirts-(Ireland, Celtic) don't feel sorry for me though-the poor geezers who were ripping it,
"haha people from Celtic are gay"
"Ya what?"
"You're from Celtic so your sad"
"I'm from Cork"
"Why do you support Celtic then"
"Coz I'm Irish/Catholic"
"Where abotu in Ireland is Celtic then"
"They play in Scotland"
"But where IS Celtic?"
"It's not a place........."
"O"

:D

Lux Interior
13/08/2004, 8:28 PM
well just back from the oval and although we lost the tie 1-0, i felt overall we give a very good performance, and were unlucky to at least have not got a draw from this evenings encounter.
for me the key men for the glens were holmes,and mccann who were outstanding.---when the swedes went down to 10 men , however-i felt our tactics were slightly on the negative side---we should have attacked them much more, as there keeper looked very 'dodgy' at times.

would like to have seen morgan come on, and i thought keegan did not have one of his more better games in a green, red & black jersey.

one lack of concentration at the back cost us the match, although i believe it was never a free kick which led to the build up of the goal in the first place.

pity we didn't get anything out of this game but lets keep optimistic and say this is merely half time!!

what do you think, lux-- keep the faith and bless 'em all!!
:)

BHG - still gutted after this showing. Same old, same old with the Glens - we can't play against ten men because we get caught between two stools. This team, IMO, were on a par with the Finnish side and we didn't play with any conviction as we did against the latter.

The subsitutions were baffling. Coyle took off Parkhouse when it was clear that it was Halliday who was tiring. Even more bizarrely, he brought on the unproven McLaughlin whilst Morgan - with all that experience and record - languished on the bench.

Un-be-f.ucking-lieveable!!!!

Still, I don't think we're out of it, honestly. Coyle now has to play an attacking team in the second leg and we're good enough to get a result but it will require a mammoth effort.

Looking forward to flexing our chords in two weeks time. You going yerself Ballyhenry?

ballyhenryglens
13/08/2004, 9:00 PM
BHG - still gutted after this showing. Same old, same old with the Glens - we can't play against ten men because we get caught between two stools. This team, IMO, were on a par with the Finnish side and we didn't play with any conviction as we did against the latter.

The subsitutions were baffling. Coyle took off Parkhouse when it was clear that it was Halliday who was tiring. Even more bizarrely, he brought on the unproven McLaughlin whilst Morgan - with all that experience and record - languished on the bench.

Un-be-f.ucking-lieveable!!!!

Still, I don't think we're out of it, honestly. Coyle now has to play an attacking team in the second leg and we're good enough to get a result but it will require a mammoth effort.

Looking forward to flexing our chords in two weeks time. You going yerself Ballyhenry?
unfortunatly, lux i'm just back from a family holiday in blackpool, and don't have the dosh at the minute.
was talking to one of the lads last night who informed me that the trip was costing approx £200.00.--just a wee bit beyond my limitations at the moment as i overspent in england!
certainly would love to be heading over there as i'm sure it would be powerful craic.

i totally agree with your sentiments by the way, as regards last nights european game.

are you heading up to coleraine on tuesday?--we've got our supporters bus to pick us up at the sandyknowes roundabout, and i've already made arrangments to get out of work a shade early.

ballyhenryglens
13/08/2004, 9:24 PM
BHG,Just think how much stronger & better you'd be,if you were in an A-I Lge....... ;)
ahhh, mr. davros, with all due respect, sir...i would safely say we're strong enough....it would certainly strengthen and better some of you lot though- up against the likes of the much more superior glens, ports, and bluedogs week in week out.......

a united ireland........under british rule :D --then we can talk about an all ireland league ;) !!

Lux Interior
13/08/2004, 9:25 PM
are you heading up to coleraine on tuesday?--we've got our supporters bus to pick us up at the sandyknowes roundabout, and i've already made arrangments to get out of work a shade early.

Sadly not. I'm off to Switzerland for the OWC friendly - can't believe we've rearranged this one during international week :mad:

Lux Interior
13/08/2004, 9:27 PM
BHG,Just think how much stronger & better you'd be,if you were in an A-I Lge....... ;)

Dev, the 'splitters' can rejoin anytime they like ;)

eoinh
13/08/2004, 10:10 PM
Ive just read that danish players are going on strike.

there is a good chance that Glentoran could be playing a team full of amateur players.

Lux Interior
13/08/2004, 10:15 PM
Ive just read that danish players are going on strike.

there is a good chance that Glentoran could be playing a team full of amateur players.

That would help, eoin, if we weren't playing a team from Sweden :o

PS: re your sig - just watched 'Nosferatu' t'other night (the Shrek version, not Kinski's)

eoinh
13/08/2004, 10:33 PM
That would help, eoin, if we weren't playing a team from Sweden :o

OH ! I suppose then my nugget of information was useless. :(

lopez
13/08/2004, 10:40 PM
Dev, the 'splitters' can rejoin anytime they like ;)Why not? Democratic elections based on one man - one vote from the registered footballers around Ireland, move the IFA offices to the capital and host all internationals at the stadium with the biggest capacity under the flag and anthem voted by the majority. Sounds good to me!

Lux Interior
13/08/2004, 10:48 PM
Why not? Democratic elections based on one man - one vote from the registered footballers around Ireland, move the IFA offices to the capital and host all internationals at the stadium with the biggest capacity under the flag and anthem voted by the majority. Sounds good to me!

Happy for an AI league .... eventually but NOT at the expense of our national side.

Hypothetically, the 're-unified' IFA to remain where it has been for over 125 years and internationals rotated between the two capitals. Flags and anthems horribly neuterised .... St Patrick's flag with a rousing new anthem written by Jake Burns.

Sorted :)

lopez
14/08/2004, 10:05 AM
Happy for an AI league .... eventually but NOT at the expense of our national side.

Hypothetically, the 're-unified' IFA to remain where it has been for over 125 years and internationals rotated between the two capitals. Flags and anthems horribly neuterised .... St Patrick's flag with a rousing new anthem written by Jake Burns.

Sorted :)Dunno if the suits will prefer a pad in an obscure part of South Belfast as HQ to Merrion Square (the northern reps can always go into the British High Commisioner for tea). As for the Fitzgerald saltire, you know where you can shove that relic from Britain's imperial past. While there is certainly an argument for a new anthem I can't see why both flags can't be flown or the IFA flag if foreign associations are unable or unwilling to fly two flags.

As for an all-Ireland league affecting the Northern team, I would argue that an all-Ireland state wouldn't necessarily affect it. If there was a vast ammount of support for a NI team in the 6C then do you seriously think that an Irish government would start another civil war to disband it. Trouble is that the 26C is no US and the North's relationship to it is no Puerto Rico.

An all-Ireland league would in BHG's words strengthen the sides, although I think he's trying to be take PJ's place as resident eejit if he thinks this is one way process across the border. No disrespect to anyone but having five or six clubs competing in a league from one city is hardly helping to bring about an Irish club challenge in Europe.

liam88
14/08/2004, 12:21 PM
All Ireland team might be good craic-but obviously as has been mentioned is the issue with flags etc. It hink we'd see a lot of Nord Iron supports become full time in-gur-land fans, don't know if this is better or worse :rolleyes:
If it happend within the next 1 or 2 years (unlikley) we could see Neil Lennon making a return to internation football but after that it may be to late :(

lopez
14/08/2004, 3:34 PM
Personally the World Cup and European Championships should be open to just independent countries who are also members of the UN - no Faroes, no Scotland, no England. UEFA already have a Regions Cup to which these regions can enter a team. If the four 'home' nations want to play international football then they had their own annual chmpionship for which the two supposedly superior countries bilaterally scrapped it, or they can become independent. It's not that hard. Over a dozen European countries have achieved this feat in the past fifteen years - some even managing to become members of the EU.

NI fans supporting England? They can support Mali for all I care. But looking at the recent electoral returns about 1% support an independent NI/Ulster state. So the other 99% choose between allegiance to Britain, Ireland or don't give a monkey's.

Anyone else notice Patrick J, BA, MA Free State History trying to get back on foot.ie? Sad! :(

liam88
14/08/2004, 4:19 PM
Aye met 'the professers' alter-ego this morning. If he wanted to come back on he should have chosen a completly new screen-name so no one new who he was and then set about making constructive points and respecting forum members...in my opinion. Round here there are loads of completly different points of view but the respect makes it work and opens up good debates-exapample this thread re. Glens :D

On the subject of Nord Iron adn their team i've heard about all the in-gur-land shirts (or is that rags ;) ) being sold out daily 'up the shankill'; going to be an interesting match between the two. Was going to start a thread asking who you'd prefer to win (personally i'm not sure I really care) but might as well ask it here :D

Good point Lopez re. having a UK team rather than 4 seperate ones; they want unity in politics and independance in sport-isn't that a bit hypocritical of em?
Next we'll be seeing an Isle of White team soon to be followed by the isle of Skye/Man etc.

On another-hypothetical point-how about a 'Celtic' international team formed of the 6 Celtic nations :D :D

Lux Interior
14/08/2004, 6:31 PM
On the subject of Nord Iron adn their team i've heard about all the in-gur-land shirts (or is that rags ;) ) being sold out daily 'up the shankill'; going to be an interesting match between the two. Was going to start a thread asking who you'd prefer to win (personally i'm not sure I really care) but might as well ask it here :D

Good point Lopez re. having a UK team rather than 4 seperate ones; they want unity in politics and independance in sport-isn't that a bit hypocritical of em?
Next we'll be seeing an Isle of White team soon to be followed by the isle of Skye/Man etc.

On another-hypothetical point-how about a 'Celtic' international team formed of the 6 Celtic nations :D :D

Nothing wrong with showing solidarity with another home nation, liam, hence the prevalence of England shirts, certainly around these parts.

But then again, anglophobia is in short supply up here ;)

The only groundswell of support for a 'UK team' comes from disgruntled African nations and punters like yourself - ain't gonna happen.

And why should it? Despite 'unity' under the crown, the four main constituents of the United Kingdom have distinct and separate identities, or cultures, which are not subsumed - and so they shouldn't be - under the UK banner. I would have no affinity with a UK team, although I have mucho affinity with the UK concept. Would you like the USA to send 50 separate teams to, say, the Olympic Games?

And in any NI vs England contest, there is no question of who I want to win - the men in green. Always.

liam88
14/08/2004, 6:56 PM
Fair play to ya Lux on the solidarity-I like to see Hibs do well ;) similar ain't it.
Seriosuly I get your point of view and I respect the fact that you're still supporting Nord Iron when In-gu-land arguably have the better chance and you could get away with supporting them-fair play to you :D

liam88
15/08/2004, 9:51 AM
For Once we are in Agreement.....any chance of me & the 4P's flag in a cocooned bubble v.the T*ns @ S.C-G.?! ;)

:D :D will it be sold out?
Our man Bill was saying it'll be safest to watch it in a pub about 400 miles away-if you o make the trip just be careful; you know how being surrounded by green can give us the urge to jump up and start seeing Chuckie songs ;)

lopez
15/08/2004, 12:22 PM
Nothing wrong with showing solidarity with another home nation, liam, hence the prevalence of England shirts, certainly around these parts. But then again, anglophobia is in short supply up here ;)
Nothing wrong at all, mate. But I just wonder if its 'anglophobia from bigots' when Irish people cheer on a Portuguese goalkeeper to knock out another 'home' team and 'just a bit o' crack' when the other British people do the same. I'm asking because OWM's biggest mouth had a picture of the said goalie celebrating as an avatar but is the first to call anyone from his part of the world supporting a foreign team that they feel represents the legitimate government of Ireland, a bigot.

The only groundswell of support for a 'UK team' comes from disgruntled African nations and punters like yourself ....and the British media when none of the 'home' teams qualify for a tournament as they did in 1994.

...ain't gonna happen. And why should it? Despite 'unity' under the crown, the four main constituents of the United Kingdom have distinct and separate identities, or cultures, which are not subsumed - and so they shouldn't be - under the UK banner.
You're not trying to say that Northern Ireland is a country in the proper sense of the word are you? Like Wales and Scotland with their own indigenous language and culture? My God, I need a laugh after the sad departure of PJ. :D Marching through areas where you're not welcomed and p*ssing in people's gardens on the grounds of their religion might be culture in your part of the world, but it isn't for the rest of us - including most of your fellow Britons.

I would have no affinity with a UK team, although I have mucho affinity with the UK concept. Would you like the USA to send 50 separate teams to, say, the Olympic Games?
As Liam says, that's a bit hypocritical, non? A case of having the cake and eating it as well? As for would I like the US to send 50 seperate teams to the Olympics? Erm, no. :confused: :rolleyes: I'd like them to send just one thanks, just as I'd like them to send one to the World Cup.

Lux Interior
15/08/2004, 2:26 PM
Nothing wrong at all, mate. But I just wonder if its 'anglophobia from bigots' when Irish people cheer on a Portuguese goalkeeper to knock out another 'home' team and 'just a bit o' crack' when the other British people do the same. I'm asking because OWM's biggest mouth had a picture of the said goalie celebrating as an avatar but is the first to call anyone from his part of the world supporting a foreign team that they feel represents the legitimate government of Ireland, a bigot.
...and the British media when none of the 'home' teams qualify for a tournament as they did in 1994.

You're not trying to say that Northern Ireland is a country in the proper sense of the word are you? Like Wales and Scotland with their own indigenous language and culture? My God, I need a laugh after the sad departure of PJ. Marching through areas where you're not welcomed and p*ssing in people's gardens on the grounds of their religion might be culture in your part of the world, but it isn't for the rest of us - including most of your fellow Britons.

As Liam says, that's a bit hypocritical, non? A case of having the cake and eating it as well? As for would I like the US to send 50 seperate teams to the Olympics? Erm, no. I'd like them to send just one thanks, just as I'd like them to send one to the World Cup.

Pt#1 - I ain't gotta clue what you're on about here :confused:

Pt#2 - you're wrongly assuming that 'my culture' is based on marching and Orangeism - very poor stereotyping there, my friend :rolleyes: . Of course NI is a country, whether you choose to recognise it or not (like the Irish government belatedly did in 1998 when they dropped their illegal claims of jurisdiction). And I wasn't aware that indigenous languages were base criteria for statehood - that'd hit those Yanks pretty darned-diddly hard if that were the case. Besides, like yourselves, we're just a cultural province of the UK.

pt#3 - can't see where the hypocrisy is here. I choose to remain within the UK as an Irish constituent of the whole part. As an Irish constituent of that Union, with a distinct cultural identity, I can express that Irishness, for example, through support of my own football team. The US analogy was a fair one. Each state has it's own separate governments and there are many varied creeds and colours within that geographical area, yet all constituent parts of the USA. You see where this is going now ....... ?

Good boy :)

lopez
15/08/2004, 4:42 PM
Pt#1 - I ain't gotta clue what you're on about here:
Slightly moving away from the topic but the question is simple. Is an Irishman that supports England opponents a 'bigot' and a non-English Briton that does likewise 'just having a bit o' crack.'

Pt#2 - you're wrongly assuming that 'my culture' is based on marching and Orangeism - very poor stereotyping there, my friend . Of course NI is a country, whether you choose to recognise it or not (like the Irish government belatedly did in 1998 when they dropped their illegal claims of jurisdiction). And I wasn't aware that indigenous languages were base criteria for statehood - that'd hit those Yanks pretty darned-diddly hard if that were the case. Besides, like yourselves, we're just a cultural province of the UK.
NI a country? :D :D :D :rolleyes: If you say so. I believe there are people that look like Pierluigi Colina on Mars. The US a country? Didn't it fight and achieve its independence in the eighteenth century, although if it waited 180 years more it would have got it without a single shot? As for culture, touchy or what Lux, did you think that I was suggesting you wore the hi-vi and bowler yourself? Poor stereotyping there too.

For someone that tries to play down the differences between Irish and British culture by suggesting that Irish is a dead language and Ireland is a 'cultural province of the UK' you seem keen on boosting up the differences between the four 'home' 'nations (sic)'. My opinion on cultural terms is that NI is Irish or British. What do I see in the Aldergrove gift shop? The same kitsch I see in Cork airport. Where's the bears with the sash and lembeg drum? Scotland has a language, highland games, poets speaking in a hybrid of English and Scottish, and a history predating its own union with England. Wales has an indigenous language spoken by a substantial minority. This doesn't suggest that they are nation-states and the US isn't, but it does suggest that they have a clearer identity than NI. Name me one thing that differs NI culture from either the rest of Ireland or Britain that doesn't involve the Dutch homosexual's victory over his father-in-law? Hmm? Ulster-Scots? Colin Bateman? Ulster fry? The Cruithin? Johnny Adair's tattoos?

pt#3 - can't see where the hypocrisy is here. I choose to remain within the UK as an Irish constituent of the whole part. As an Irish constituent of that Union, with a distinct cultural identity, I can express that Irishness, for example, through support of my own football team. The US analogy was a fair one. Each state has it's own separate governments and there are many varied creeds and colours within that geographical area, yet all constituent parts of the USA. You see where this is going now ....... ? Good boy So the USA is the only multi-state nation in the world?

As for this 'Irish constituent in Britain' feeling, that's what I have. I'd describe yourself more as a 'British constituent in Ireland', except one that vetos the majority's right to self-determination. Anyway whatever makes you happy. It's just the changing wallpaper of your life amuses me. Using your 'Britishness' one minute, then falling on your 'Irishness' the next, different passports for different occasions, then your 'Ulsterness' or 'Northern-Irishness' when the other two have failed in an argument suggests someone with an identity crisis in denial, not someone with the mono-cultural identity they claim to hold.

ballyhenryglens
15/08/2004, 5:13 PM
i find it strange that we should suddenly be having a debate on the british/irish culture-in a football related thread loosely based on the glens displays in europe!!
from the minute sensitive issues such as 'an all ireland league' or 'an all ireland team', was brought into this thread we all knew that sooner or later we were all going to get 'political'.-----i suppose some people are interested to see what way 'northern' lads react when contencious issues are brought up.--i would be the 1st to agree that 'northern ireland' is a complex issue-and indeed very interesting to debate-but unfortunatly what happens is comments start flying from both sides in a debate which is never from the off set for the 'feint hearted'--then before we know it, all hell breaks loose, and the moderator is struggling to control the situation.

i enjoy 'political' debate.---i would perhaps not be classed as one of the more moderate glenmen, and some of my views on ulster might have a few lads here foaming at the mouth!!

but i am not going to reveal them on a 'football' related thread.----i think it more appropriate that for such debates to be discussed on the non football section-G.O.T.

if anyone does wish to start a thread there and it is of interest, i myself will contribute to the debate-----but this wee section should be left free of such politics, and for purely football related matters only.

liam88
15/08/2004, 5:38 PM
like yourselves, we're just a cultural province of the UK.

You'tr tuining your own argumant here with a stupid comment-the Republic of Ireland is NOT part of the yoo-kay; simple as that :D

I believe there are people that look like Pierluigi Colina on Mars.
There are! :)

Name me one thing that differs NI culture from either the rest of Ireland or Britain that doesn't involve the Dutch homosexual's victory over his father-in-law? Hmm? Ulster-Scots? Colin Bateman? Ulster fry? The Cruithin? Johnny Adair's tattoos?

It is just a British-influenced part of Ireland. Thinjk it was Brendy telling me that Derry is just like living anywhere else in Ireland apart from the murals and police; Belfast is an Irish/British culture clash-just look at Falls, Shankill......
Talking of mad dog whatever happend to the ol' eejit......I've heard rumours he's batting for the other side now days and I'm not talking Nationalist/Loyalist ;)

i enjoy 'political' debate.---i would perhaps not be classed as one of the more moderate glenmen, and some of my views on ulster might have a few lads here foaming at the mouth!!

but i am not going to reveal them on a 'football' related thread.----i think it more appropriate that for such debates to be discussed on the non football section-G.O.T.

EVERYONE TO OFF TOPIC!!!!!!! :D :eek:

Lux Interior
15/08/2004, 7:27 PM
Slightly moving away from the topic but the question is simple. Is an Irishman that supports England opponents a 'bigot' and a non-English Briton that does likewise 'just having a bit o' crack.'

NI a country? :D :D :D :rolleyes: If you say so. I believe there are people that look like Pierluigi Colina on Mars. The US a country? Didn't it fight and achieve its independence in the eighteenth century, although if it waited 180 years more it would have got it without a single shot? As for culture, touchy or what Lux, did you think that I was suggesting you wore the hi-vi and bowler yourself? Poor stereotyping there too.

For someone that tries to play down the differences between Irish and British culture by suggesting that Irish is a dead language and Ireland is a 'cultural province of the UK' you seem keen on boosting up the differences between the four 'home' 'nations (sic)'. My opinion on cultural terms is that NI is Irish or British. What do I see in the Aldergrove gift shop? The same kitsch I see in Cork airport. Where's the bears with the sash and lembeg drum? Scotland has a language, highland games, poets speaking in a hybrid of English and Scottish, and a history predating its own union with England. Wales has an indigenous language spoken by a substantial minority. This doesn't suggest that they are nation-states and the US isn't, but it does suggest that they have a clearer identity than NI. Name me one thing that differs NI culture from either the rest of Ireland or Britain that doesn't involve the Dutch homosexual's victory over his father-in-law? Hmm? Ulster-Scots? Colin Bateman? Ulster fry? The Cruithin? Johnny Adair's tattoos?
So the USA is the only multi-state nation in the world?

As for this 'Irish constituent in Britain' feeling, that's what I have. I'd describe yourself more as a 'British constituent in Ireland', except one that vetos the majority's right to self-determination. Anyway whatever makes you happy. It's just the changing wallpaper of your life amuses me. Using your 'Britishness' one minute, then falling on your 'Irishness' the next, different passports for different occasions, then your 'Ulsterness' or 'Northern-Irishness' when the other two have failed in an argument suggests someone with an identity crisis in denial, not someone with the mono-cultural identity they claim to hold.

You were doing so well there until the veto-part-thingy about the "majoritys right ot self-determination".

The "majority" continually exercise their right to "self-determine" via the Westminister elections. Wishy-washy, misty-eyed, green-tinted nonsense about "self-determination", from a 32-point of view, has been subsumed within the confines of the Belfast Agreement through the principle of consent.

Irish first, then British. I hope that's clear enough for you :)

Lux Interior
15/08/2004, 7:28 PM
You'tr tuining your own argumant here with a stupid comment-the Republic of Ireland is NOT part of the yoo-kay; simple as that :D

I think my original comment went right over your head, liam :)

Lux Interior
15/08/2004, 7:29 PM
i find it strange that we should suddenly be having a debate on the british/irish culture-in a football related thread loosely based on the glens displays in europe!!
from the minute sensitive issues such as 'an all ireland league' or 'an all ireland team', was brought into this thread we all knew that sooner or later we were all going to get 'political'.-----i suppose some people are interested to see what way 'northern' lads react when contencious issues are brought up.--i would be the 1st to agree that 'northern ireland' is a complex issue-and indeed very interesting to debate-but unfortunatly what happens is comments start flying from both sides in a debate which is never from the off set for the 'feint hearted'--then before we know it, all hell breaks loose, and the moderator is struggling to control the situation.

if anyone does wish to start a thread there and it is of interest, i myself will contribute to the debate-----but this wee section should be left free of such politics, and for purely football related matters only.

Ballyhenry - this forum isn't ready for, shall we say, your interesting views ;)

liam88
15/08/2004, 8:36 PM
I think my original comment went right over your head, liam :)

I'm thinking it probably did Lux-care to re-phrase? :D
Like I said, I know you're a sound bloke (and I'm well up to that pint sometime-never been to Belfast before) I just lvoe a healthy debate....................................

:cool:

ballyhenryglens
15/08/2004, 8:44 PM
Ballyhenry - this forum isn't ready for, shall we say, your interesting views ;)
don't worry, lux.--i have already stated that this part of the forums, i believe, to be football orientated only.--and i for one will be making no 'interesting' comments on 'political' issues concerning northern ireland, while on this section of the forums.

i believe football/political issues should be kept seperate on forums like these...hence the 'off topic' comment.

anyway, back to football--this week should be a most interesting one with the glens away to coleraine on tuesday evening, and then on saturday we entertain newry city-and of course our old chum-mr. woy muckweedy.

newry got off to a good start in the C.I.S yesterday winning 4-2 against muckweedys old outfit, omagh town with new newry striker michael mchugh-(a player i've always rated)-getting a brace.

couple of enjoyable games, i reacon to look forward to--(although i think we'll put both teams to the sword)--- and thank god the seasons started!!--(no more running 'round shopping centres with the wife on a sat. afternoon!!)
any thoughts yerself on the 2 forthcoming games, lux??

liam88
15/08/2004, 8:44 PM
While we be on the subject of Nord Iron-I heard on the news about plans to disband the IRA for SF big centinary/big anniversary next year...
*cracks opend the worm can*
will it do any good?

liam88
15/08/2004, 8:46 PM
OOps missed Bally's post-didn't realise we're back onto the beautiful game........good luck to all EL/IL team this week (except lumfield) and especially RAmbs ;)

ballyhenryglens
15/08/2004, 9:11 PM
OOps missed Bally's post-didn't realise we're back onto the beautiful game........good luck to all EL/IL team this week (except lumfield) and especially RAmbs ;)
well my young friend, i'll certainly agree with you on that.

and i'll second your opinion as regards your comment at 'the great satan'--the 'bluedogs'.

they didn't get off to the best of starts yesterday-a scorless draw against ards which according to the local papers was 'drab' and 'boring' to say the least.

and then we had the ports crashing to dungannon swifts, 2-1 at stanmore park, in a surprise defeat.

thats football lads-ya take nothing for granted.

Lux Interior
15/08/2004, 10:26 PM
Btw,You cannot be Both Irish & Br*tish :confused: ....it is either One Or the other ;) That's what some jokers :rolleyes: on here & elsewhere don't understand!

Yes, you can, Dev .... not everyone has the same fear and loathing of Eng-ger-lan than you do.

Clearly the two are not mutually exclusive.

Don't swallow the Green Book propaganda.

Lux Interior
15/08/2004, 10:31 PM

Indeed, Ballyhenry ... it was all going swimmingly with the thread when Prof Paddy J with the Oirish Doctorate (or whatever) switched the course dramatically from our Finnish success to an in-depth analysis of a couple of old 'freedom fighters' (ones, that you or I wouldn't really eulogise in the same glowing terms).

And so back to football.

Not going to make it to Coleraine for the game this Weds (as I'm off supporting my country in far-off climes :) ), however I see Coleraine have made a shock signing at centre-back.

I wonder will he receive the same sort of treatment he got the last time he signed for Coleraine :eek:

sylvo
16/08/2004, 9:46 AM
[QUOTE=Lux Interior]

Not going to make it to Coleraine for the game this Weds (as I'm off supporting my country in far-off climes :) ),

Far off climes, come on Lux it's not that far, sure it's only two hour's from Belfast Central station to Connolly station and then four stop's on the dart to Lansdowne, sure you'll be home before 1am.

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=Lux Interior]

Not going to make it to Coleraine for the game this Weds (as I'm off supporting my country in far-off climes :) ),

Far off climes, come on Lux it's not that far, sure it's only two hour's from Belfast Central station to Connolly station and then four stop's on the dart to Lansdowne, sure you'll be home before 1am.

:p

I'll be slipping into a neighbouring country tomorrow morning, under the cloak of darkness.

Just trying to avoid the Howth Concerned Residents Group taking umbrage at my spanking new green Umbro apparel as we speed on by.

I'll need to get my money changed, won't I? :)

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 10:56 AM
You'd better tell the UN then :rolleyes: .....even they could do a better job than the T*ns & if it was Scotland,but not the Ingles,we might understand........though apparantly some of your finest citizens were up to their old tricks on the Seacat to there,on Saturday

PS.There is No Green book :eek: ......just The Truth :D

I also heard some of our "finest citizens" were up to their "old tricks" in Irish Street as well ;)

How are you guys doing in the Olympic Games, so far? :D

lopez
16/08/2004, 12:39 PM
F*ck me! I go out for a Ruby with my sister and her husband followed by a perusal through his large Scotch collection and I find that a free for all has broken out.

i find it strange that we should suddenly be having a debate on the british/irish culture-in a football related thread loosely based on the glens displays in europe!!...
I would have taken your point about politics and this thread more seriously if you hadn't brought up the all-Irish state over a matter of football. There are two relatively poor leagues in Ireland. An all-Ireland competition would increase interest - even if some of it was unwanted - and may even bring more money into Glentoran from TV rights. It's nothing more than that, and if you are worried about your international side, get it in writing that it stays. And as I said, an all-Ireland state does not necessarily mean the end of the NI side (eg. Faroes, Puerto Rico, Scotland, Wales).

As for your interesting views, go on tell us! They can't be worse than Patrick J's.

You were doing so well there until the veto-part-thingy about the "majoritys right ot self-determination". The "majority" continually exercise their right to "self-determine" via the Westminister elections. Wishy-washy, misty-eyed, green-tinted nonsense about "self-determination", from a 32-point of view, has been subsumed within the confines of the Belfast Agreement through the principle of consent. More stereotyping. I'm impressed. :rolleyes: The majority's decision over self-determination was given at the 1919 Westminster election over the status of something of a more credible 'constituent of the United Kingdom' with 'a far more distinct and separate identity, or culture' than exists now (a plebiscite as you know was never granted). The answer was for it to secede.

Interesting how you picture Irish freedom fighters as mad (I'd certainly concur with you on Pearse), but are quiet about British politicians of the period. Perhaps stupid would be more appropriate? I mean if home rule was granted in the first place, chances are we'd all be going to watch our side with a British passport now. Alternative history...what a way to start an argument! :D

Talking of mad dog whatever happend to the ol' eejit......I've heard rumours he's batting for the other side now days and I'm not talking Nationalist/Loyalist
He was mentioned the other day in the news as trying to visit his fragrant wife, the lovely Gina, in a hotel belonging to the German lady. The UDA's calender pin-up girl from 1999 is currently suffering from ovarian cancer, but the powers that be have told the bedwetter he can't go. Dunno about him, ahem, batting for the other side, although many people hold this view as his best mate, Sam McCrory, was a secret admirer of the Village People back in his skinhead days.

Schumi
16/08/2004, 12:56 PM
We don't have your inherant genetic ability for winning the...walking :rolleyes:Well actually...

lopez
16/08/2004, 1:06 PM
Young Mr88 was perchance, :confused: referring to our other old friend MD,last heard of abseiling into the Estonian national stadium,when the osc.played their in March........... :eek: ........Mr.Even-handed,he is not... :(Dog Breath, unlike yourself, does not possess 'the same fear and loathing of Eng-ger-lan' of yourself but is a good loyal subject of Brit-tan-nia, despite him doing more abseiling when his fellow 'home' nation were so unsportingly dumped out of Euro 2004. :D

sylvo
16/08/2004, 2:28 PM
:p

I'll be slipping into a neighbouring country tomorrow morning, under the cloak of darkness.

Just trying to avoid the Howth Concerned Residents Group taking umbrage at my spanking new green Umbro apparel as we speed on by.

I'll need to get my money changed, won't I? :)

Lux are you catching the early morning seacat to Troon and having a break in Scotland, you proberly better get yer money changed I've heard they can get a bit funny about taking those six county note's in Britain. :)

sylvo
16/08/2004, 2:35 PM
[QUOTE=Lux Interior]:p

I don't blame yer seeing that the new Ireland gear is not out until the end of the month and there may well be a few finger's pointing in yer direction saying thing's about buying gear that has fallen off the back of a lorry, did yer get the new kit complete with new badge from the West Belfast argos book. :rolleyes: :cool:

lopez
16/08/2004, 3:24 PM
Lux are you catching the early morning seacat to Troon and having a break in Scotland, you proberly better get yer money changed I've heard they can get a bit funny about taking those six county note's in Britain.Don't talk to me about those O6C notes. :mad: Conchita's cousin gave some money to the kids at Xmas when she was visiting us before going to see her brother in Tanfield. We tried cashing them in at some Xmas theme park on what used to be the Millenium dome and we were told to clear off as they were not, and I quote, real money. For the first time in my life I was screaming at the Millwall-esque bird on the counter, 'It's an integral part of the United Kingdom (so it is, yer wee cay, yer!)' but it was all in vain. I mean you can spend Euros in the O6C and get them out of a hole in the wall in Belfast, but try spending sterling without the German lady on the front in Britain... :rolleyes:

Paddy J's still trying to get back on this thread. :eek: :D

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 4:40 PM
Lux are you catching the early morning seacat to Troon and having a break in Scotland, you proberly better get yer money changed I've heard they can get a bit funny about taking those six county note's in Britain. :)

I got the Euros today, Sylvo, thanks for asking. :)

Lux Interior
16/08/2004, 4:42 PM
[QUOTE=Lux Interior]:p

I don't blame yer seeing that the new Ireland gear is not out until the end of the month and there may well be a few finger's pointing in yer direction saying thing's about buying gear that has fallen off the back of a lorry, did yer get the new kit complete with new badge from the West Belfast argos book. :rolleyes: :cool:

Im not aware that Argos stocked new football apparel, much less the existence of a "West Belfast" version.

"Back of a lorry" - too much stereotyping going on in here - I haven't even mentioned the green'n'grey ..... [snip] :p