PDA

View Full Version : Is a great opportunity being passed up to promote the LoI?

legendz
20/02/2012, 1:14 PM
With Ireland's success in qualifying for Euro 2012 and the involvement of ex-LoI players in this success. The FAI should be running a promotion campaign for the LoI using ex-LoI players who are part of the Euro 2012 qualifying success. There is no better way to promote the talent that has come through the league.

Many barstoolers as has been said by a few on here have been scrambling and asking for McClean's exclusion. Many could've see that player in action in Ireland but missed that opportunity.

nigel-harps1954
20/02/2012, 2:16 PM
I was saying this myself today, how many of the current Ireland squad can you say you've watched in a league game on your own doorstep?

David Forde, Stephen Ward, Seamus Coleman, Keith Fahey, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long and James McClean have played League of Ireland football. Granted Shane Long didn't play a lot of League of Ireland, but still, thats 7 of the current squad who were discovered in League of Ireland. Thats some stat.

Jofspring
21/02/2012, 11:41 AM
It wouldn't be hard to put up simple posters around the country, online, in the papers with a simple headline like "The Past" and below that a picture of Kevin Doyle, Seamus Coleman, Keith Fahy and James McClean and then below that "The Present" with a picture of Shane Duggan, Daryl Kavangh, Simon Madden, Jake Kelly.

El-Pietro
21/02/2012, 12:14 PM
thats not a bad idea actually!

legendz
21/02/2012, 12:34 PM
Exactly what should be done! Maybe everyone should send off an email to the FAI, getting them to get their act together and do something.

pineapple stu
21/02/2012, 1:23 PM
Maybe everyone should send off an email to the FAI
Info@FAI.ie

(Sorry, but I hate "Maybe someone else should do something that I could do in two minutes" posts)

legendz
21/02/2012, 1:32 PM
I hate misreading of posts. I said "maybe everyone should" but I'm not saying everyone should. It's up to everyone to make the effort if they do wish to send off an email or not. If not, cool beans, no worries, chill out and take it easy. :cool:

Shannonsider
21/02/2012, 1:46 PM
Info@FAI.ie

(Sorry, but I hate "Maybe someone else should do something that I could do in two minutes" posts)

I think he meant if everyone does it would make a bigger impact than if just he did.

El-Pietro
21/02/2012, 2:01 PM
how about something like this
The Past:
Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Keith Fahey, James McLean, David Forde, Stephen Forde and Seamus Coleman in their LOI colours
The Present:
Same players in Ireland/English team jerseys
The Future:
Young up and coming players in LOI - ireland under age shirts
So like GearĂ³id Morrisey/Daryl Horgan for us for example.

Clubs could be doing this themselves actually even if the FAI aren't doing it

pineapple stu
21/02/2012, 2:30 PM
Ha! Good spot. Cheerfully withdrawn. :o

freewheel30
21/02/2012, 6:43 PM
This lad's gone to Dundalk now - the vid has Sky Sports commentators and everything :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ5ZSoiLwwA#t=0m50s

Spudulika
26/02/2012, 3:20 AM
Can't see the FAI moving on it, or the heads in the LOI, but somebody like Hunky Dorys......(got the idea after seeing the new Arshavin "Lays" advert - "I'm coming home" - which seemed to have been churned out in double quick time).

legendz
26/02/2012, 11:26 AM
McClean's rise shows merits of home educationhttp://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mccleans-rise-shows-merits-of-home-education-3031824.html

The article is telling it as it is. Really is a shame such a great opportunity has been passed up to really promote the league.

shellyriver
26/02/2012, 11:42 AM
how about something like this
The Past:
Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Keith Fahey, James McLean, David Forde, Stephen Forde and Seamus Coleman in their LOI colours

Excellent idea - all round lads. Old pics of them merging into Irish jersey.

Analogy for League of Ireland is like old record labels who stuck with talented artistes waiting for next big album and allow them to develop and mature - compared with X Factor, sh**t or bust philosophy.

freewheel30
27/02/2012, 9:55 AM
Was surprised to learn there was a league-related piece on Friday's edition of The Daily Show (starts around the 21 minute mark)

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1137572

CuanaD
27/02/2012, 11:51 AM
I hate misreading of posts. I said "maybe everyone should" but I'm not saying everyone should. It's up to everyone to make the effort if they do wish to send off an email or not. If not, cool beans, no worries, chill out and take it easy. :cool:
I think he meant - "if you think it's a good idea, then send an email to them now"
:ball:

Jofspring
17/06/2012, 11:15 AM
After the disappointment of the euros is now a good chance for the LOI clubs to push for more people to come out and support the local teams. What better way to get over it than a live match with the future stars of Ireland, or at least advertise it that way anyway.

Anybody good with photoshop that could whip up something similar to the ideas above. You could now probably have something like, Doyle, Long, McLean and Ward in their LOI jerseys, below that in their international jerseys and below that the next crop of young players i.e Forrester, Daryl Horgan etc…. Each club could change the list of players at the bottom to their own players i.e Limerick would have David O'Leary, Rory Gaffney, James McGrath, Jeffrey Judge. Its a pretty simple idea really.

legendz
21/06/2012, 1:03 PM
Clubs have to do something.

I don't know how people don't get fed up of just watching football on tv. My idea of football is enjoying playing at whatever level be it junior leagues, indoor soccer or an hour on astroturf. A side from playing the game them at whatever level, shape or form, going to games can be a good buzz. The FAI simply are not doing enough. Pointless getting involved further in a discussion.