PDA

View Full Version : uefa cup updates

Pages : [1] 2

eoinh
29/07/2004, 5:56 PM
not really relevant to the LOI but Glentoran won away tonight and qualified for the next round

eoinh
29/07/2004, 6:08 PM
Latest score Longford 0 vaduz 1 :rolleyes:

eoinh
29/07/2004, 6:36 PM
after 30 mins still longford 0 vaduz 1 -absolute disgrace.

eoinh
29/07/2004, 6:49 PM
Ht Longford 0 Vaduz 1

Logford need three goals in the secod half to go through :mad:

Slash/ED
29/07/2004, 7:07 PM
0-2 now according to xscores.

Slash/ED
29/07/2004, 7:17 PM
0-3 now, bloody hell, this team had never won in europe before as far as i know :(

eoinh
29/07/2004, 7:43 PM
a disgrace, an utter disgrace!

eoinh
29/07/2004, 7:45 PM
longford 1 vaduz 3

eoinh
29/07/2004, 7:47 PM
longford 2 vaduz 3

Slash/ED
29/07/2004, 7:48 PM
Come on Longford, if you score again you can at least salvage some co-efficent points for us.

eoinh
29/07/2004, 7:51 PM
FT Longford 2 vaduz 3

terrible - no wonder people dont go to LOI matchs. How could they after a result like that. People wont take crap. :mad:

drinkfeckarse
29/07/2004, 8:19 PM
a disgrace, an utter disgrace!

Are you taking the p1ss? How is it a disgrace like? :confused: Have Longford turned into Man Utd overnight or something. The fact they qualified for Europe in the first place deserves credit. It's not as if they could draw on their vast European experiance and at least this years venture will give them a taste of what's required.

adamcarr
29/07/2004, 8:24 PM
I agree with Eoinh. Its a bloody disgrace losing 4-2 to a Liectenstein team! :rolleyes:

Slash/ED
29/07/2004, 8:25 PM
This is a team that has never won in Europe before. Longford were the seeded team and to lose so easily is a disgrace.

adamcarr
29/07/2004, 8:28 PM
This is a team that has never won in Europe before. Longford were the seeded team and to lose so easily is a disgrace.
Ditto for Bowez. All of our hope is on $hel$ kick-$hit football"

drinkfeckarse
29/07/2004, 8:39 PM

Maybe so but at least they've got plenty of experience which counts for a lot. No offence to Macy and the lads but Longford aren't exactly setting the place on fire this season so I don't see how ye think they'd a God given right to win the tie :confused: Also, just because the team is from Lichtenstien doesn't mean the Irish team will automatically be a better side.

eirebhoy
29/07/2004, 8:42 PM
Are you taking the p1ss? How is it a disgrace like? :confused:
Vaduz hadn't won a European match in 17 attempts and now they win 2 on the trot. They are one of the worst teams in any of the European competitions yet Longford conceded 4 goals without reply until the 176th minute. Worst result from an Irish club in a long time.

De Town
29/07/2004, 8:56 PM
Have to agree that we let the eL down big time. they kicked us from pillar to post for the ninety minutes. it might be a blessing in disguise that Darragh Sheridan was carried off injured. he is the biggest fcuking eejit you will ever see playing football. he would commit the stupiddest fouls in front of the ref. i really dont think he has a braincell in his head. he went off mid-way through the first half and we brought Dean Fitzgerald on. He was fcuking class. He was well able to give the kicking as well as taking it. He should realistically been sent off but he was good at kicking the sh!t out of them. there was a bustup in the tunnel at half time. i was going to the jacks and as I was walking towards them all you could hear was loads of shouting and the refs whistle going mental. hopefully we dont get fined. anyway about the game, their 3 goals came from sh!t defending. 1st goal, ball crossed in from their left, right winger coming in at the back post, unmarked, slides it past Digger from 10-12 yards. Eric missed a sitter from a Dessie Baker cross from the right wing. Then Darragh gets injured (THANK GOD) and bring on Deano. Paiso then has a shot with his right foot and then goes down injured. Another sub, This time Pual Keegan. Half time 1-0. Everybody down, P!ssed off. 2 minutes into the second half, were 2-0 down. Sh!t defending again. Murph Skinned on right hand side, Barry has a swing at it but misses and thier fella xcurles it home from the tightest off angles. 8 minutes later and the sunshine supporters start to walk out. Ball floated in from their right, Seanie Dillon misjudges it, Murph heads it back to Digger who is out of his goal, runs back and scrambles it off the line, their no.7 walks in to tap hit home after being on the pitch about 10 seconds. After that things really got heated. Deano should have been sent off for blatently stamping on some fella. he kicked the sh!t out of some of them. we get 1 back through Deano with 4 mins to go, Dessie swings a ball in from the right along the ground, Deano comes running in to sidefoot home from 10 yards. 2 mins later Dessie swings another 1 in along the ground and Barry comes in at the back post to hammer home with his left foot. 90th minute and it was nearly 3-3. Dessie has a shot from about 20-25 yards out, it chips the keeper but off the underside off the bar, onto the goalline and out again. im sickened. but hey, theres always next year!

pineapple stu
29/07/2004, 8:59 PM
Vaduz hadn't won a European match in 17 attempts and now they win 2 on the trot. They are one of the worst teams in any of the European competitions

Not true - they haven't progressed a round; they've won three or four games (see the UEFA Coefficients list - there's a link knocking around somerwhere) though. Also, they're not really a Liechtenstein team - they lost in a promotion/relegation play-off to get promoted to the Swiss top flihgt last season (3-2 to Neuchatel Xamax, who are a decent team). It's still a very disappointing result, but not quite as bad as is being made out.

drinkfeckarse
29/07/2004, 9:03 PM
Vaduz hadn't won a European match in 17 attempts and now they win 2 on the trot.

European veterans compared to Longford then and like I said, experience matters more often than not in European competition. Let me remind most of ye that the Eircom league is no La Liga or Premiership. We are predominantly a part time league and our league would be compared to the weakest nations of Europe by the most of the rest of Europe, like it or not. To lose to a team that in all probability is the same standard as the team it is playing is no "disgrace", disapointing yes, but nothing to bury your head in shame about.

Slash/ED
29/07/2004, 9:06 PM
To lose to an unseeded team when you're seeded so unbelivebley easily is a disgrace, there's no other way to look at it. The only experience that Vaduz side has in Europe is in being beaten.

eirebhoy
29/07/2004, 9:21 PM
Not true - they haven't progressed a round; they've won three or four games (see the UEFA Coefficients list - there's a link knocking around somerwhere) though. Also, they're not really a Liechtenstein team - they lost in a promotion/relegation play-off to get promoted to the Swiss top flihgt last season (3-2 to Neuchatel Xamax, who are a decent team). It's still a very disappointing result, but not quite as bad as is being made out.
It was actually 21 matches:
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UEFACup/news/Kind=8192/newsId=208694.html

tippman
29/07/2004, 9:28 PM
just because malmo were from sweeden and nec from holland didnt mean they had to beat cork
longford and bohs are struggling in the league so i dont think we should have expected much
shels should bead hadjuk and corks intertoto run this year speaks for itself :)

Gary
29/07/2004, 9:32 PM
European veterans compared to Longford then and like I said, experience matters more often than not in European competition.

Before City started this seasons Euro campaign there were only 3/4 players in the whole squad who had played European Football before.

Pathetic result. But having seen Longford play last sunday, its not a surprise. They are a very poor team, who have gone backwards.

Its strage really because they finished 4th last season, won the cup, and were alot of peoples outside bet to be in the top 3.

tiktok
29/07/2004, 9:40 PM
....they've won three or four games.....

before Longford they'd gotten through one round on penalties after both ties ended in the same draw, but they'd never won a Euro tie.

Colm
30/07/2004, 12:02 AM
This result is a joke, fcuking pathetic. Ditto with Bohs results on Tuesday. I thought the league had moved on from the dark to days of losing to little known teams from sh!t leagues.

After the Rebel Army's historic achievements in Europe, Longford and Bohs have to go and embarrass Irish football. At least this further proves that there is only one big club in Ireland.

southside bohs
30/07/2004, 12:40 AM
drinkfeckarse- stop making out that vaduz are a good side or an average side cos they are not, they are a team that play in a league below us, just because they play in switzerland does not make them good, the swizz league is not very strong ( ye basel but so what).

The fact remains that bohs and longford had the best opportunity to progress but bottled it. we have both let the league down and should be mocked.

I feel all four european places should be given to the league, the last three teams that won the cup were Longford,Derry and dundalk, their result of the european matches were longford v Vaduz agg 2-4, Derry v Apoel Nicosia agg 2-4?(they were well beaten anyway) Dundalk v Varteks agg 0-9

The results of those teams were shocking but we can't blame them because they are not great teams been sent to europe to be slaughtered. The league is two competitive and only three places are been given so i feel the Fai cup european spot should be replaced by a healty financial figure and the fourth placed team in the league entry to inter-toto.

We need to progress in europe.

before you start moaning i know bohs were **** too but we dominated the fcuking game while longford got ****ed on.

max power
30/07/2004, 1:17 AM
were you at either of our games southside bohs ???

patsh
30/07/2004, 8:01 AM
Lads, I don't want to be to harsh, but this is the second shocking result of the week. If the league has any hope of moving onwards and upwards, both Bohs and Longford needed to get through at least one round.

In the 2 main Euro competitions, so far the eL record is
Played 7
Won 0
Drew 3
Lost 4
For 7
Against 12

Thats terrible, really dire.
We really need $h£l$ to win next week.........:(

drinkfeckarse
30/07/2004, 8:03 AM
drinkfeckarse- stop making out that vaduz are a good side or an average side cos they are not, they are a team that play in a league below us, just because they play in switzerland does not make them good, the swizz league is not very strong ( ye basel but so what).

And how do you know that they are not? I know that they are no Madrid but either are Longford. And tell me how you know that the Swiss 2nd division is worse than the Eircom league. Fair enough, Shels, City and Bohs are probably better than that but the rest of the league probably isn't. Are ye forgetting that most of the Eircom league are part time!? There's nothing wrong with expecting success but to call it a disgrace that they didn't beat them is nothing short of uneducated.

Also Slash, since when are Uefa's seedings reliable OR valued? Seedings don't mean a sh1te most of the time and most people acknowlegde that.

drinkfeckarse
30/07/2004, 8:17 AM
Lads, I don't want to be to harsh, but this is the second shocking result of the week. If the league has any hope of moving onwards and upwards, both Bohs and Longford needed to get through at least one round.

In the 2 main Euro competitions, so far the eL record is
Played 7
Won 0
Drew 3
Lost 4
For 7
Against 12

Stats don't lie, we are a poor footballing nation of Europe so why are ye all of a sudden DEMANDING that teams like Longford beat a full time professional outfit? Patsh, I agree that the league needs teams to start progressing but until the whole of the league goes full time then that's along way off.
Also as delighted as I was when City were winning their ties....if some of ye think it was a disgrace that Longford didn't beat Vaduz then imagine what the supporters of Malmo, Nijmegen etc are thinking about the fact their side was beaten by an Irish team given our reputation in Europe?

eoinh
30/07/2004, 8:24 AM
Also Slash, since when are Uefa's seedings reliable OR valued? Seedings don't mean a sh1te most of the time and most people acknowlegde that.

they are very reliable. you only have to compare the results with the seedings.

Liechtenstein is a country of only 25,000. ireland has 4 million. get real.

Vaduz are only part-time as well.

What with resluts, tv coverage our league is going backwards not forwards :mad:

eoinh
30/07/2004, 8:40 AM
Also, there is no doubt that in this years european competitions our teams got the easiest draws EVER in the UEFA and EUROPEAN Cups.

max power
30/07/2004, 9:24 AM
those guys lost out on promotion to swiss first division in a play off, they are a well organised full time team and we are not. their european experience said a lot for them.

we have positives, we scored, twice, yes we did. we let in 3 very soft goals and i mean very soft.

we still have 2 cups and can still get up the table.

say as you please, i am a proud town fan after last night, our guys never put their heads down and kept going all night.

drinkfeckarse
30/07/2004, 9:42 AM
those guys lost out on promotion to swiss first division in a play off, they are a well organised full time team and we are not. their european experience said a lot for them.

we have positives, we scored, twice, yes we did. we let in 3 very soft goals and i mean very soft.

we still have 2 cups and can still get up the table.

say as you please, i am a proud town fan after last night, our guys never put their heads down and kept going all night.

They'll also learn from the experience Max should there be a next time. Eoin, the seedings are about as reliable as the FIFA world rankings. I would say you are in a vast minority if you think the seedings mean anything. Think what you want, I personally don't think it was a "disgrace" and I think you show your knowledge of the National league and football in general to be limited if you do.

max power
30/07/2004, 9:45 AM
disgrace my big hairy ar$e

patsh
30/07/2004, 10:37 AM
Think what you want, I personally don't think it was a "disgrace" and I think you show your knowledge of the National league and football in general to be limited if you do.Really?
Digger used that exact word, disgrace.
Why shouldn't we expect that Longford should beat Vaduz?
Accusing people of having a limited knowledge of football simply shows up the barreness of your mentality.
"Our league is poor so we didn't do too bad" is your point of view. Well f*ck that.
We should be showing ambition, having expectations and demanding more.
Otherwise, you and your mentality will prevail and we will get NOWHERE.
Cop yourself on and instead of coming up with sh*te excuses, call a spade a f*cking spade...:mad:

max power
30/07/2004, 10:39 AM
we weren't good enough over two legs, but i wouldn't even think of using the word disgrace....

btw were you at either game to jugde for yourself or are you going on media hearsay ???

max power
30/07/2004, 10:44 AM
."Our league is poor so we didn't do too bad" is your point of view. :

where did i imply that in any of my posts ???

as i said above we weren't good enough, but through winning the cup we earned the right to play in europe, not for the league, but for us.....

just as cork were playing for cork, they weren't saying lets do it for irish football, na it was for cork. simple as that.

we were knocked out last night, badly i might add. but thats our problem and we'll deal with it.

eoinh
30/07/2004, 10:48 AM
we were knocked out last night, badly i might add. but thats our problem and we'll deal with it.

Thats what is said every year. It has to stop NOW.

This was easily the best draw EVER for irish clubs

max power
30/07/2004, 10:55 AM
oh i agree those excuses should stop being made, but we aren't playing well and have been well below par all season for some reason, not an excuse, fact.

bohs should have gone through and shela have a great draw if they get through next wen.

we were not good enough overall, might be hard to swallow but hey thats life, still two cup and the league to focus on.

drinkfeckarse
30/07/2004, 11:23 AM
Really?
Digger used that exact word, disgrace.
Why shouldn't we expect that Longford should beat Vaduz?
Accusing people of having a limited knowledge of football simply shows up the barreness of your mentality.
"Our league is poor so we didn't do too bad" is your point of view. Well f*ck that.
We should be showing ambition, having expectations and demanding more.
Otherwise, you and your mentality will prevail and we will get NOWHERE.
Cop yourself on and instead of coming up with sh*te excuses, call a spade a f*cking spade...:mad:

If you read my earlier posts :rolleyes: I said "there is nothing wrong with expecting success". My point was that Vaduz are in all likelyhood the same standard so why is it a disgrace to lose to someone of the same ability?? I did say it was disapointing just nothing to freak out about. I'm not making excuses for Longford, I'd have loved it if they'd went through but I wasn't at the game so I don't know how bad or unlucky they were for myself and at the risk of starting this argument off again....our league in general IS poor compared to most of the rest of Europe. Look at our European STATS not the feckin seedings!
Of course I want things to get better and for the league to progress. I just think ye are being too harsh because this will take time.

patsh
30/07/2004, 11:46 AM
where did i imply that in any of my posts ???Would you like to read my post again and take note of who I quoted?

patsh
30/07/2004, 11:49 AM
I just think ye are being too harsh because this will take time.How much time?
I've been hearing that since the f*cking 70's, when we used to get crowds of 15 to 20,000 at league games in Cork. There was no Premier**** or Sky to compete with then, there was good money in the game and f*ckall was done. 30 years later, I'm still hearing the same excuses.....:mad:

max power
30/07/2004, 11:55 AM
sorry patsh, still asleep here.

europe is one thing, the league is more important and when the fai allow fixture pile up etc the clubs don't give europe the respect it deserves.

the system is to blame as well, not just the clubs. we need the back up from our official body to allow us to compete at a higher level, better backing and an understanding that teams can make it past the first round and that fixtures will have to be taken into account.

example, we weren't in europe last season, yet we played 25% of our league games in the last 4 weeks of the league ??????

drinkfeckarse
30/07/2004, 12:17 PM
How much time?
I've been hearing that since the f*cking 70's, when we used to get crowds of 15 to 20,000 at league games in Cork. There was no Premier**** or Sky to compete with then, there was good money in the game and f*ckall was done. 30 years later, I'm still hearing the same excuses.....:mad:

Patsh, it's only in the last few years that some sort of progress has been made by Eircom league clubs and this is due to the fact that City, Shels and Bohs have gone full time. The fact that summer football is now being played in Ireland is also an advantage because I don't think we'd have enjoyed some of the results we've had, had the other teams been midway through their seasons IMO. It's no coincidence that our league's better European results in recent times have been accomplished by the full time teams and until the rest of the league follows that path then we have no right to think that they will progress just because they are playing a team from a "minnow" nation. WE are a minnow nation to the rest of Europe.

Slash/ED
30/07/2004, 12:19 PM
We shouldn't be a minnow nation compared to ****ing Liechtenstein. That was a draw that pretty much every team in the first round would have killed to have gotten.

drinkfeckarse
30/07/2004, 12:45 PM
We shouldn't be a minnow nation compared to ****ing Liechtenstein. That was a draw that pretty much every team in the first round would have killed to have gotten.

Slash, I know we shouldn't be but we ARE. I'm sure most of the teams would've liked to have drawn Longford too (with no disrespect again to Macy, Max etc) because they are more or less the same standard as a Swiss 2nd division team. They just missed out on promotion too lets not forget, so they can't be that bad.

max power
30/07/2004, 12:50 PM
at the end of the day, we earned our place in that competiton for us not you are anyone else. so if we wanted to loose 15-0 thats our businiess, not anyone elses, i wish all clubs well in europe but its that clubs night and not yours.

liamon
30/07/2004, 1:30 PM
Of course I'm dissappointed to see Longford go out last night, but I don't think that gives us the right to label them a digrace.
Proir to this season, City always struggled to get results in Europe. It's not that long ago we were beaten by a Swiss League team. A few wins and suddenly we have the right to hurl abuse at anyone who struggles in a European competition?

Typical short term memory. Win and you're a hero for a few weeks. Lose a few and you're scum. What's the odds on hearing "Dolan out" chanted in some corner of the shed over the coming 12 months?