PDA

View Full Version : Willo Flood

Pages : [1] 2 3

tetsujin1979
29/07/2004, 2:52 PM
Played a few times for Man City in preseason, got a mention from Keegan after the game:

"I was looking to put young players on where they good show what they were about and we were able to do that against Hull.

"I thought Willo Flood was outstanding when he went on for the second half. You could see Willo do some of the things that Shaun does.

"He was getting past people and getting his crosses in, it was nice work from him."

Might see him a bit more often this season.

If we do, it'll mean we've gone from having almost no options on the right to having McGeady, Barrett, S. Reid and Flood

Peadar
29/07/2004, 2:59 PM
"I thought Willo Flood was outstanding when he went on for the second half. You could see Willo do some of the things that Shaun does."

Hope he gets a run out against Reading on Monday so.
I might get a look at him.

Bowsy
29/07/2004, 3:10 PM
As a city fan would love to see young Willo get a run in the team. I know i'm always banging on about it but any ideas on his size physically of late, tetsujin?
Him and Paddy McCarhty getting into the team regularly would make me very happy indeed.

Peadar
29/07/2004, 3:11 PM
any ideas on his size physically of late, tetsujin?

Get your arse on the train down to Madejski on Monday night and have a look for yourself.

Bowsy
29/07/2004, 3:13 PM
Get your arse on the train down to Madejski on Monday night and have a look for yourself.

Top suggestion Peader. I think I will.

Peadar
29/07/2004, 3:17 PM
Top suggestion Peader.

I'll probably go myself.
Pass away a Monday evening.

Bowsy
29/07/2004, 3:26 PM
I'll probably go myself.
Pass away a Monday evening.

Have booked a return to Reading. Hopefully drag some bored associate along. Going to go out on a limb and presume it's not going to be an all ticket affair and i can pay at the gate.

Peadar
29/07/2004, 3:29 PM
Going to go out on a limb and presume it's not going to be an all ticket affair and i can pay at the gate.

Don't think they've ever sold out a game at the Madejski but I'll call into the ticket office after work and ask for you.

Bowsy
29/07/2004, 3:40 PM
Don't think they've ever sold out a game at the Madejski but I'll call into the ticket office after work and ask for you.

Cheers. quite looking forward to it now.

tetsujin1979
29/07/2004, 4:07 PM
but any ideas on his size physically of late, tetsujin?

From what I know, he's still only about 18/19 so probably still very slight, not going to grow much more either. Think duff at about the same age, just less match experience.

THink McCarthy played in the first preseason game, not sure if he's featured since. Keep me informed of the game on monday, yeah?

Fr. Murphy
30/07/2004, 8:54 AM
Flood was on loan at Rochdale last season set up a few goals as well. I seen him play a small while ago and his jersey is still bigger than he is.

Bowsy
30/07/2004, 9:02 AM
Keep me informed of the game on monday, yeah?

Will do. The lads i'm dragging along are complaining City will only play fringe players. Personally I'm hoping for it. Really want to see the Irish lads, Wright-Phillips Jnr, etc in action.

tetsujin1979
30/07/2004, 10:36 AM
Flood was on loan at Rochdale last season set up a few goals as well. I seen him play a small while ago and his jersey is still bigger than he is.

I read a few quotes over on rochdale.rivals.net about him in the match reports while he was on loan there, they liked the look of him, and couldn't understand why he was dropped to the bench sometimes.

Will do. The lads i'm dragging along are complaining City will only play fringe players. Personally I'm hoping for it. Really want to see the Irish lads, Wright-Phillips Jnr, etc in action.

Cheers mate, although I reckon that close to the start of the season you'll see more of the first team than the reserves.

Peadar
30/07/2004, 3:19 PM
The ticket office was closed by the time I got back from work and I'm in London now. I'm sure the ticket hotline number is on the website.
Sorry about that Bowsey.

Bowsy
30/07/2004, 4:07 PM
The ticket office was closed by the time I got back from work and I'm in London now. I'm sure the ticket hotline number is on the website.
Sorry about that Bowsey.

No worries. Cheers anyway Peader. Will give them a bell

Bowsy
03/08/2004, 9:17 AM
Went to Reading Vs Man City last night. Unfortunately had to wait until an hour had gone before i saw any irish action. Paddy McCarthy and then Willo Flood both got on. Good news is Willo looks substantially bigger than when i last saw him although wishful thinking may have added 10 pounds. Keegan played a virtual youth team in the second half and all including the two irish lads played well if not spectacularly. More than a match for Reading. Pick of the bunch was probably Stephen Wright-Phillips.

For those interested(I think that's just you tetsujin) Man City played well. 4-1 city the final score and if it wasn't for some tame finishing and some great saves by the Reading keeper it could have been 8 or 9. That said City still looked unconvincing at the back and Reading took the lead with some comically poor defending by City. Actually looked better with McCarthy and Jordan at the back. Reyna(fantastic second goal) and Wright-Phillips were both excellent. Sibierski was shocking poor when he came on.

Apart from that incidents of note were a female lino(nuff abuse received), and one of the most mediocre chants ever - "David Kitson - what a bargain, what a bargain"

tricky_colour
03/08/2004, 4:36 PM
If we do, it'll mean we've gone from having almost no options on the right to having McGeady, Barrett, S. Reid and Flood

Well S Reid is out injured for a couple of months, not that he ever
lived up to expectations.
McGeady has impressed Martin O' Neil in the USA, and he will be
pushing for first team games next season.
Barrett was also impressive when he played for Ireland.

joeSoap
01/08/2006, 2:53 PM
Cardiff (http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=94&si=96008) bound...good move or bad??

Dodge
01/08/2006, 2:58 PM
good. needs to play football

Danny
01/08/2006, 3:08 PM
good move alright, dont think he was ever gonna become a 1st teamer at city. needs football and needs to bulk up. hopefully it works out for him

drinkfeckarse
01/08/2006, 3:18 PM
Good move. I saw Lee Croft move to Norwich a few days ago and originally thought that it might mean more games for Willo but I suppose both were fringe players so it wouldn't really matter. If he works at it he might come good as he seems to have a fair bit of talent.

Stuttgart88
01/08/2006, 3:24 PM
Disappointing from one perspective but at least Cardiff are one of the better Championship clubs. Their second half to last saeson was very good as far as I can remember. He'll be joining McPhail there. Jason Koumas is a very good player too.

DmanDmythDledge
01/08/2006, 3:27 PM
Disappointing from one perspective but at least Cardiff are one of the better Championship clubs. Their second half to last saeson was very good as far as I can remember. He'll be joining McPhail there. Jason Koumas is a very good player too.
I thought he was on strike at WBA?

Stuttgart88
01/08/2006, 3:37 PM
I read on BBC website that Cardiff want him.

drinkfeckarse
01/08/2006, 3:40 PM
They can't agree a fee but it's extremely unlikely that Koumas will ever wear an Albion jersey again.

OwlsFan
02/08/2006, 8:14 AM
Bad move - downwards is very seldom better. How many drop to lower teams and then make it back up again. Very few I am afraid.

Dublin12
02/08/2006, 8:18 AM
Where are the sheep shaggers getting all this money for the signings,11 so far!!..oh hang on a minute isn't Ridsdale there:rolleyes:

drinkfeckarse
02/08/2006, 8:32 AM
Bad move - downwards is very seldom better. How many drop to lower teams and then make it back up again. Very few I am afraid.

Not a lot of choice though OwlsFan, stay and hardly play or move and benefit your game by playing a high level every week. It's not as if any other Prem teams came knocking.

Stuttgart88
02/08/2006, 8:39 AM
Bad move - downwards is very seldom better. How many drop to lower teams and then make it back up again. Very few I am afraid.I've mixed feelings on this. A regular game at a half-decent club is probably better than no game, and not much prospect of one, at a better club.

I can't help think that Pearce is a good judge of a player and that in reality Flood wasn't good enough. From what I've seen of him for the Irish U21s he flatters to deceive. He can skip past people at times but his final ball is awful & I'm not sure he even looks up before he hits it. I'd have a similar criticism of McGeady, though he seems to be playing very well at the moment. I thought Roy O'Donovan outshone Flood by quite a margin at Turners Cross against France U21s.

However, I think Cardiff seem to be on an upward trend again & seem to be buying decent players. It'd be no harm for Flood to be involved in a side challenging for promotion.

I also think that the likes of Wayne Rooney & Cristiano Ronaldo have clouded people's judgment on young players. Just because these guys are international class before they're 20 doesn't mean that's the benchmark for every other player. I'd be quite happy if Flood continued to improve gradually over the next few years and was international quality aged 26. I suspect it won't happen though.

Reality Bites
02/08/2006, 8:41 AM
Another Irish player hyped in his early days when he got first team football, but lets face it this is a step backwards and yet another disappointment, Its 5 years now since an Irish player has broke through big style, Damien Duff in 2001..since then we have had alot of hype but very little substance, Irish Football is crying out for a Star.

elroy
02/08/2006, 8:55 AM
Another Irish player hyped in his early days when he got first team football, but lets face it this is a step backwards and yet another disappointment, Its 5 years now since an Irish player has broke through big style, Damien Duff in 2001..since then we have had alot of hype but very little substance, Irish Football is crying out for a Star.

IMO Stevie Reid is developing into one of the best midfield players in the Premiership. Have always liked him since he first entered the Irish set up, had a bit of a blip with injuries a year or two ago but the guy is starting to look like top class IMO. I reckon Stephen Ireland has the potential to be something special as well, his range of passing and composure on the ball at such a young age is incredible.

Dr. Ogba
02/08/2006, 8:57 AM

Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Shay Given, Steve Finnan, Richie Dunne....maybe, just maybe, Aidan McGeady...

For a nation our size we have quite a few "stars" already and maybe even a couple in the pipeline. Anyway I hate this obsession with football "stars", as has been shown time and time again in international football you can do quite well with decent players that will give their all for the jersey...

But I digress...I think its a great move for Willo, provided he plays regularly. Cardiff will definitely be challenging for promotion and if he gets a good run in the side I'd say he'll improve far more as a player than he would while sitting on the bench at City...

tetsujin1979
02/08/2006, 9:41 AM
Probably the last player to drop a division and come back a stronger player for it is either Finnan or Kavanagh. Hopes for Mahon or McPhail to do the same though.

Scram
02/08/2006, 9:45 PM
Cardiff (http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=94&si=96008) bound...good move or bad??

Wonder why the bigger Championship clubs, Leeds etc. didn't get in there first.

Leeza
02/08/2006, 11:20 PM
Good move.

I'd rather see Willo play regular first team football for a rising giant than play sporadically for a mid table premiership team.

eirebhoy
02/08/2006, 11:49 PM
Wonder why the bigger Championship clubs, Leeds etc. didn't get in there first.
Cardiff have a decent team now and I think they've made 11 or 12 signings this summer if I'm not mistaking. It looks like Koumas really wants to go back to Cardiff so a midfield of:
Koumas McPhail Scimeca Flood

...isn't too bad at that level! They have Arsenal's Gilbert on loan for the season and also signed Michael Chopra from Newcastle.

Qwerty
03/08/2006, 11:53 PM
Cardiff are ambitious, I would consider them one of the bigger Championship clubs. You need to play and learn your craft, and you don't want to do a Partridge.

Poor Student
31/01/2009, 12:55 PM
Time to resurrect this thread? Flood has been very good for Dundee United over the past 18 months and has earned a move to Celtic. It remains to be seen how much he will figure in the first team though. He's skillful, very hard working and direct. I think he has the potential to be successful at Celtic and this could propel him towards the national team. I understand it's just as likely he could end up as a bench warmer and reserve. Worth keeping an eye on his progress though.

co. down green
31/01/2009, 9:04 PM
Today's Daily Record

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2009/01/31/life-in-dublin-housing-estate-set-up-willo-flood-for-big-time-86908-21085626/

OwlsFan
10/02/2009, 10:05 AM
Interview here as well. Usual "childhood dream" stuff.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/7865813.stm

wexfordned
10/02/2009, 11:34 AM
Time to resurrect this thread? Flood has been very good for Dundee United over the past 18 months and has earned a move to Celtic. It remains to be seen how much he will figure in the first team though. He's skillful, very hard working and direct. I think he has the potential to be successful at Celtic and this could propel him towards the national team. I understand it's just as likely he could end up as a bench warmer and reserve. Worth keeping an eye on his progress though.

Bad move for flood. Whatever slim chance he had of getting into Irish team while playing for Dundee Utd, he certainly won't get picked playing for the Celtic reserves.

Would have been better trying to find a championship club. Higher standard of football & better chance to get noticed.

irishfan86
10/02/2009, 11:48 AM
Bad move for flood. Whatever slim chance he had of getting into Irish team while playing for Dundee Utd, he certainly won't get picked playing for the Celtic reserves.

Would have been better trying to find a championship club. Higher standard of football & better chance to get noticed.

Nakamura can't play as many games as he used to, as he always seems to be picking up injuries here and there.

It's just a matter of time before he leaves really.

Flood will provide good cover on the right side of midfield, and can offer something different in the middle as well.

I think he will start off more as a squad player, but why not try and break into a team like Celtic?

You need to take risks in life sometimes, especially in football, if you want to get to the top.

Bottle of Tonic
10/02/2009, 12:00 PM
Celtic are fairly brutal at the moment, have been for a few years I suppose, so the likes of Willo Flood should have no fears about not breaking into the side. There's no one there he shouldn't be able to dislodge, including McGeady and whenever I've seen Willo play against Celtic or Rangers the last year or so he's easily been one of the top performers on the park.

irishfan86
10/02/2009, 12:03 PM
My main worry isn't that he isn't good enough, but rather that he won't get a chance.

Strachan is notorious for buying players and letting them rot in the reserves.

Hopefully Flood gets a fair crack at the whip and leaves Strachan with no choice but to keep him involved.

I doubt he'll become undroppable, but if he was a borderline starter/well used sub I'd be happy.

tetsujin1979
10/02/2009, 12:46 PM
Nakamura can't play as many games as he used to, as he always seems to be picking up injuries here and there.

It's just a matter of time before he leaves really.
Summer, according to some accounts. Wants to raise his kid in Japan.

pateen
10/02/2009, 1:25 PM

Kinda like what he'll do with McGinn and McCourt so

wexfordned
10/02/2009, 3:26 PM
[QUOTE=irishfan86My main worry isn't that he isn't good enough, but rather that he won't get a chance.

Hopefully Flood gets a fair crack at the whip and leaves Strachan with no choice but to keep him involved.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Don't follow scottish football but McGeady will play so only leaves one spot open. If Nakamura is leaving then fair enough maybe he will get his chance.

Don't watch scottish football, but looking at their european results the standard seems to be at a real low at the moment. If he his any good then he should be able to force his way into a pretty average side.

Stuttgart88
10/02/2009, 3:53 PM
Don't watch scottish football, but looking at their european results the standard seems to be at a real low at the moment. If he his any good then he should be able to force his way into a pretty average side.I'm not a staunch proponent of the SPL but Rangers got to the UEFA final only 8 months ago. Celtic's results were poor alright. It's not really a top league as we all know but there are some competitive teams (Old Firm, Aberdeen, Dundee United and the Edinburgh clubs) so I think if a player can stand out in Scotland he is probably good enough to compete against third seeded teams and worse in international football.

With regard to Flood's international chances I think he has his work cut out in the near to medium term but good luck to him. Only if we adopt a more expansive approach would he offer something we don't already have.

eirebhoy
10/02/2009, 7:33 PM

Whether he'll play regularly or not he certainly won't be playing for the reserves. Unlike McCourt and McGinn, this is a Strachan signing. Anyway, McCourt has been brilliant for the reserves recently and I think is winning Strachan over.

As for the quality of Celtic. Player for player the midfield options atm is as good as it's been in years. But Strachan definitely rates Flood. He's his type of player and he'll get his chance straight away.

Junior
10/02/2009, 10:11 PM
Unlike McCourt and McGinn, this is a Strachan signing.
???:confused: Who else signed them if it wasnt Strachan?