PDA

View Full Version : Kerry LoI discussion

culloty82
18/02/2012, 1:07 PM
Given the rising standard of soccer locally and various efforts to compete at national level over the last decade, it's fair to say that a squad of Kerry players could be competitive in the League of Ireland - the ongoing debate for most of that time being what model is best placed to provide a sustainable infrastructure? Currently, Tralee Dynamos are taking the initiative, but their plans have been considered unrealistic, while the infrastructure is in place at Mounthawk Park, though no consensus or focus among member clubs. Personally, I'm entirely neutral as to what eventually occurs, once a self-financing League club capable of challenging in all competitions eventually secures entry, but the main priority has to be ending the rift that has long endured in Kerry soccer. Any Kerry club competing at national level has to be able to attract 4-500 attendances in order to have a guaranteed future, which though it seems a tough target, is only 10% of that for a low-key NFL match, and Friday night would see little competition from other sports. Similarly, such a club should be able to draw on all the available local talent, even attracting Kerry players currently at other LoI clubs.

Eminence Grise
18/02/2012, 2:37 PM
I’m a fairly frequent visitor to Tralee (Mrs Grise hails from the town), and I’ve great regard for what Dynamos tried to achieve.

I think the few years in the A Championship showed an appetite for league football, and the hard work that goes with it. The experience of running the club at that level should be a good launch pad for the future. For me, a Kerry-named team makes sense, and it should be based in Tralee. It’s a crude population consideration. A triangle of Killarney, Killorgan and Listowel has Tralee roughly at its centre, and an urban population of about 45,000 (around one-third of the county) within a half hour drive; more including smaller towns and rural areas. As little as 0.75% of that catchment area gives you the numbers needed for first division football. In fact, the numbers are probably similar to Dundalk, Drogheda, Sligo etc. Getting bums on seat is the problem, but the population is there for a club to be marketed. Could Dynamos rebrand as, say, Kerry Dynamos (most common name I’ve seen here), remain a Tralee team but tap into that market? Or would the turf wars need to be sorted out first? I don't know enough about the personalities or the issues.

legendz
18/02/2012, 2:54 PM
I'd like a Kerry entity to enter the league but I'm not sure now that's the way forward. You look at Kildare County, I've made the point regards Newbridge Town.

It's disappointing Dynamos didn't get in this year but a solution has to be found for Dynamos and other recent A Championship clubs. Football is football. Clubs need to develop while having a team on the park. This is why I'm so against the removal of the third tier.

If Dynamos got into the LoI, they definitely could have become the focal point for the development of the game within the county. As I've said before, when they do get in, which I believe they will, they'll have to run soccer camps in Killarney, Dingle, Listowel as well as Tralee. If they put in the work within the county, they'd get the support.

Now this might seem crazy at the moment but I believe Kerry can have two clubs, if there not a single team for Kerry. If the KDL clubs can't put forward one club for all, Tralee and Killarney are capable of a club each, and a rivalry their can promote the game in the county while they can also challenge each others in terms of promotion of the game, development of talent and getting the best players.

If a second division was to come in as I suggested, if the drive was their, I could see a Killarney club coming in within about 5 years. Alas, wishful thinking for now. The U19 south league as mentioned, has shown while not ideal, 6 clubs can compete in a division and let the games be played.

Eminence Grise
18/02/2012, 4:35 PM
Legendz, I thought something similar about Kerry being able to support two clubs, but I'm not so sure the numbers stack up. The county population is about 145,000, which is about 20,000 or so more than Louth. The difference is that Louth has two well-established clubs with historical fanbases. Kerry is also at a disadvantage in that is bordered by two counties where LoI soccer is already present, so the catchment area won't necessarily expand much beyond the county border.

Given a choice between having two teams sharing finite resources (fanbase, player pool, sponsorship) and having their existence defined by their limitations, or one team tapping into all the resources and being able to function as a semi-professional outfit, I'd prefer the latter. It's a bit abritrary of me, but I think that any club needs to have around 100,000 people in its catchment area (under 45 minute drive) for critical mass - for the Premier division at any rate. It's interesting that we both have much the same geographic territory mapped out for the Dynamos!

For now, we live in hope!

kerrysock
18/02/2012, 6:25 PM
2 teams? - We would be lucky to get one county team.

Lads, the a-championship was a joke of a division for a few years and the FAI have scrapped it as a consequence. The league was supposed to be a feeder league to enable clubs into the first division but it failed miserably - no clubs with a high enough calibre to achieve a first division license came out of the league and also the recession ended what proved to be a financially unviable league.

The FAI are 100% right to have done what they did - it was in the best interest of all clubs involved from a financial perspective. Legendz mentioned having a 3rd tier with 6 teams - sounds like desparation to me. I must say clubs like Dynamos must now accept reality and fall back into junior ranks as the money simply isnt there. The only viable option for a LOI team in Kerry is to have a team that is supported by all junior clubs.

Hard pill to swallow but Dynamos need to realise that, check in with reality and row behind a county team...as it is not remotely financially possible by themselves!

Eminence Grise
18/02/2012, 7:45 PM
The only viable option for a LOI team in Kerry is to have a team that is supported by all junior clubs.

Hard pill to swallow but Dynamos need to realise that, check in with reality and row behind a county team...as it is not remotely financially possible by themselves!

But if Kerry football is as riven with factionalism as has been suggested on other threads, then this can never happen. Indeed, they might be better off without the baggage of junior football politics. It also suggests a town of 23,000 people can't sustain an amateur (or very semi-pro) team playing at a higher lever than the Kerry league.... I'm sure there are a few LoI clubs from much smaller towns plodding along, and surviving, that would disprove that.

The ochón agus ochón ó (not you, but generally) way of thinking drives me nutty. Fine, the Dynamos weren't ready to make the step up this season. At least they had the bottle to try. Hopefully, they'll be back next season, wiser and beter prepared.

kerrysock
18/02/2012, 9:12 PM
It also suggests a town of 23,000 people can't sustain an amateur (or very semi-pro) team playing at a higher lever than the Kerry league.... I'm sure there are a few LoI clubs from much smaller towns plodding along, and surviving, that would disprove that You are missing one huge factor here - Dynamos in general are not that liked in Tralee. The very low attendances down through the years and during the a-championship prove that. So a town with 23,000 people are not backing the club - can you not see that. You all say "hopefully they can step up next season" or "at least they had the bottle to try" but you are all failing to see that financially LOI for dynamos is not viable.

The club have went backwards off the field in the last few years especially with the lack of facilities. The word on the street here in Tralee is that Dynamos is a club that is suffering at the moment - a club in demise and I think thats very sad.

Like why should Dynamos have to step up by themselves just because the KDL dont want to put a team into the LOI? I wish the club would just go back to basics, go back into the KDL and take it from there to try to regain status as the best junior club in Kerry. I just feel this LOI adventure is just damaging the club day by day and Im saddened by that - its a great club with a great tradition - now the club is going to go on a full season where the only senior team thats exists is in the 4th tier of the kdl - its a mess and very damaging!

culloty82
18/02/2012, 9:42 PM
Two themes worth thrashing out here are player development and business support. In the first case, would it be better to have one central academy based in Tralee, drawing players from around the county, or continue to leave that job to local clubs? Similarly, if Dynamos do get the funding plans in place by next year, they would need support from businesses around the county, given the state of trading in Tralee town at the moment. Finally, similar to Cork City, a successful club would need regular supporters from Listowel, Killarney, Dingle etc, perhaps not in the first season, but looking to the future.

peadar1987
18/02/2012, 10:06 PM
I think there is a case for a separate entity being set up to enter the LOI. It could be Dynamos-led, but I think it would have the most chance of success if it brought as many clubs on board as possible. As I've said before, the key to a successful partnership between junior and senior clubs is mutual benefit.

The benefit for the senior club, Kerry Dynamos, The Kingdom FC, Kerrymaid Athletic, whatever they want to call themselves, is the cream of young Kerry footballers, and bums on seats from having the connection to the Kerry football community.

The benefit for the junior clubs would most likely have to be financial. I would think if €50 was paid to a junior club each time an ex-player of theirs featured for the senior side, it would be more than enough to dispel a "poaching our lads" attitude, and have them queuing up to have their players sign up for the senior side. Obviously you'd still have some squabbles, but I think such a side would have a lot more support from Kerry as a whole than one single side going it on their own. There's also the added benefit of great clubs like Dynamos not exposing themselves to the risk of the LOI. We've seen plenty of evidence of how it tends to chew up clubs financially.

On the subject of Kerry's population, County Longford only has a population of 38,000, and Monaghan 60,500. I don't know how much support Longford and Monaghan draw from surrounding counties, but that still compares favourably with Kerry (145,000), and those two clubs are also evidence that with good management, it is possible to survive in the LOI quite happily with small crowds.

kerrysock
18/02/2012, 10:46 PM
I think there is a case for a separate entity being set up to enter the LOI. It could be Dynamos-led, but I think it would have the most chance of success if it brought as many clubs on board as possible. As I've said before, the key to a successful partnership between junior and senior clubs is mutual benefit.

The benefit for the senior club, Kerry Dynamos, The Kingdom FC, Kerrymaid Athletic, whatever they want to call themselves, is the cream of young Kerry footballers, and bums on seats from having the connection to the Kerry football community.

The benefit for the junior clubs would most likely have to be financial. I would think if €50 was paid to a junior club each time an ex-player of theirs featured for the senior side, it would be more than enough to dispel a "poaching our lads" attitude, and have them queuing up to have their players sign up for the senior side. Obviously you'd still have some squabbles, but I think such a side would have a lot more support from Kerry as a whole than one single side going it on their own. There's also the added benefit of great clubs like Dynamos not exposing themselves to the risk of the LOI. We've seen plenty of evidence of how it tends to chew up clubs financially.

On the subject of Kerry's population, County Longford only has a population of 38,000, and Monaghan 60,500. I don't know how much support Longford and Monaghan draw from surrounding counties, but that still compares favourably with Kerry (145,000), and those two clubs are also evidence that with good management, it is possible to survive in the LOI quite happily with small crowds.
+ 1 here, couldnt have said it better!

legendz
19/02/2012, 1:49 PM
Will the Kerry League be taking part in the League Cup this year? If they are, maybe the lead up to that game should see discussions take place about where Kerry football is going and if it's possible to get a Kerry entity with the support of the KDL to work at forming a club to compete at a national level and represent the county? It would be great to see a club represent all of Kerry. It has always been my preference but it recent years I have become supportive of what Dynamos have been looking to do. With hard work I don't believe it is beyond Dynamos if they were to get in to get the backing of all the county. Kerrysock make a point that Dynamos are not well liked but attitudes can change but it'd have been down to Dynamos as well. They are never going to get automatic support from other areas, it has to be earned.

nigel-harps1954
19/02/2012, 1:56 PM
Will the Kerry League be taking part in the League Cup this year? If they are, maybe the lead up to that game should see discussions take place about where Kerry football is going and if it's possible to get a Kerry entity with the support of the KDL to work at forming a club to compete at a national level and represent the county? It would be great to see a club represent all of Kerry. It has always been my preference but it recent years I have become supportive of what Dynamos have been looking to do. With hard work I don't believe it is beyond Dynamos if they were to get in to get the backing of all the county. Kerrysock make a point that Dynamos are not well liked but attitudes can change but it'd have been down to Dynamos as well. They are never going to get automatic support from other areas, it has to be earned.

That is something you need to be asking the Kerry League.

limfan
21/02/2012, 12:30 AM
The Reality is that Kerry missed the boat to join the LOI after the first two years of the success of the under 21 team. During that time they had eveything they needed to join. Mounthawk Park, 500 seater, fans of 600-800 attending under 21 games, sponsorship, support from all the county and a growing reputation in the LOI. Most importantly the players were there. Of the first three seasons, Shane Guthrie (Limerick, Cork City, Galway, St Pats) James Sugrue (Limerick) Chris kerins (Limerick, St Pats) Steven o Mahony (Limerick) David Conway (Limerick) David Hennessy (Waterford, Cobh) Timmy Lynch ( Limerick) Sean Kelly (Arsenal, Cork, Galway, Limerick) Steven Conway ( Limerick) Billy Dennehy (Sunderland, Derry, Cork, Shamrock Rovers) John Dineen (UCD, Cork City). All these players started with the kerry under 21's, granted most never stayed playing EL respectively but collectively as a team core it could have been the start of something great at the time when it was the right time.

Now lets fast forward to now. Tralee Dynamos tried but it was inevitable that they were always up against it. Its a recession, players to compete at the level are not there yet, i believe they would be the whipping boys. Atendances are very low, sponsorship is not there, no lights, no seating, fan base is tiny and they dont have the support of the county. They have a good idea and tried to do it thinking everyone would follow them in the county, players included, but surely now they should cut their losses and go back playing junior.

Its clear that the boat sailed along time ago when everything was in place. The only way to go LOI is an all county push, not one club push. Killarney Celtic maybe in a few years maybe?? They have been making strides on and off the pitch, who know's when LOI will be played in Kerry

legendz
21/02/2012, 9:22 AM
The thing is though a Kerry League team couldn't just join the LoI, same as the Mayo League. There was a few years gap between the U21's doing well and the formation of the A Championship. When the A Championship did come in it was Tralee and Castlebar who took it upon themselves to step up to the plate.

kerrysock
21/02/2012, 11:22 AM
The Reality is that Kerry missed the boat to join the LOI after the first two years of the success of the under 21 team. During that time they had eveything they needed to join. Mounthawk Park, 500 seater, fans of 600-800 attending under 21 games, sponsorship, support from all the county and a growing reputation in the LOI. Most importantly the players were there. Of the first three seasons, Shane Guthrie (Limerick, Cork City, Galway, St Pats) James Sugrue (Limerick) Chris kerins (Limerick, St Pats) Steven o Mahony (Limerick) David Conway (Limerick) David Hennessy (Waterford, Cobh) Timmy Lynch ( Limerick) Sean Kelly (Arsenal, Cork, Galway, Limerick) Steven Conway ( Limerick) Billy Dennehy (Sunderland, Derry, Cork, Shamrock Rovers) John Dineen (UCD, Cork City). All these players started with the kerry under 21's, granted most never stayed playing EL respectively but collectively as a team core it could have been the start of something great at the time when it was the right time.

Now lets fast forward to now. Tralee Dynamos tried but it was inevitable that they were always up against it. Its a recession, players to compete at the level are not there yet, i believe they would be the whipping boys. Atendances are very low, sponsorship is not there, no lights, no seating, fan base is tiny and they dont have the support of the county. They have a good idea and tried to do it thinking everyone would follow them in the county, players included, but surely now they should cut their losses and go back playing junior.

Its clear that the boat sailed along time ago when everything was in place. The only way to go LOI is an all county push, not one club push. Killarney Celtic maybe in a few years maybe?? They have been making strides on and off the pitch, who know's when LOI will be played in Kerry
Well said limfan, agree with everything here. A Kerry LOI team is the only viable option in my opinion, but I agree, the opportunity was missed a few years ago.

kerrysock
21/02/2012, 11:29 AM
With hard work I don't believe it is beyond Dynamos if they were to get in to get the backing of all the county. Kerrysock make a point that Dynamos are not well liked but attitudes can change but it'd have been down to Dynamos as well. They are never going to get automatic support from other areas, it has to be earned.
Dynamos have been doing tremendously hard work for the last few years but before gaining support in other areas they have to gain support in their own area first i.e. Tralee!

LOI is a step too far for the club, I agree with limfan that Dynamos should go back and join the kerry district league and start pushing towards a Kerry LOI team. Dynamos have pressed the self destruct button by pursuing an LOI team for the last few years - they should now do the sensible thing and step back into junior football and start investing from the ground up into facilities.

In my view a kerry LOI team is at least 5 years away, it won't happen overnight!

legendz
21/02/2012, 11:45 AM
One club isn't going to have the entire support of Tralee within the KDL. Personally I think they'd have to have LoI status and set-up soccer camps in Tralee and the county to grow their support. It'd take time but in fairness there's not going to be an overnight success or an automatic allegiance earned based on getting into the LoI proper should the be successful in the near future. Dynamos will earn my support if they join the LoI proper. I've used their crest here as an avatar as a small gesture of support for what they've been looking to do.

kerrysock
21/02/2012, 2:30 PM
One club isn't going to have the entire support of Tralee within the KDL.Personally I think they'd have to have LoI status and set-up soccer camps in Tralee and the county to grow their support. It'd take time but in fairness there's not going to be an overnight success or an automatic allegiance earned based on getting into the LoI proper should the be successful in the near future. Dynamos will earn my support if they join the LoI proper. I've used their crest here as an avatar as a small gesture of support for what they've been looking to do.
I can understand supporting the team for achieving LOI status but you keep dodging the most important question of all - its viability. The finances are not there simple as that.

Do you not agree that Dynamos best step is go back into junior football and start investing from the ground up into facilities?, I think limfan and I agree on this, and we reflect most kerry soccer peoples view on this matter. There is a general view in Kerry at the moment that Dynamos are on a downslope due to investing in in something the club simply cannot afford.

Shannonsider
21/02/2012, 2:38 PM
I don't think Tralee will be in the LOI in the near future. According to what I was told, they could only provide forcasts for the FAI for only half of the money the FAI required for them to have to get a First Divison licsence. That was the basic running cost for a First Division club for a season.

legendz
21/02/2012, 3:04 PM
I can understand supporting the team for achieving LOI status but you keep dodging the most important question of all - its viability. The finances are not there simple as that.

Do you not agree that Dynamos best step is go back into junior football and start investing from the ground up into facilities?, I think limfan and I agree on this, and we reflect most kerry soccer peoples view on this matter. There is a general view in Kerry at the moment that Dynamos are on a downslope due to investing in in something the club simply cannot afford.

I'm not dodging viability. It was part of the reason I mooted the idea of a second division or something like that. Dynamos coped ok in the A Championship. I was suggesting they build in division at that level which would have similar costs to their involvement in the A Championship. Someone pointed out Tullamore have no interest in getting back involved in the League of Ireland. Good feedback to get and put paid to wishful thinking of a second division.

If Dynamos feel they can overcome the obstacles in the near future they'd be right to apply again in 2013 as they say. If not, they should concentrate on the KDL and in terms of the Munster Senior League which is basically a Cork League as said by citybone, discussions should take place to get that linked to district leagues across the province?

kerrysock
21/02/2012, 3:51 PM
If Dynamos feel they can overcome the obstacles in the near future they'd be right to apply again in 2013 as they say. If not, they should concentrate on the KDL and in terms of the Munster Senior League which is basically a Cork League as said by citybone, discussions should take place to get that linked to district leagues across the province?
I agree on the MSL, it is just a Cork league and should be more regionally based. I hope Dynamos go back to the KDL...Kerry domestic soccer needs dynamos. Also, I think straight entry into the premier division should be facilitated for the club.

Shannonsider
21/02/2012, 4:39 PM
I agree on the MSL, it is just a Cork league and should be more regionally based. I hope Dynamos go back to the KDL...Kerry domestic soccer needs dynamos. Also, I think straight entry into the premier division should be facilitated for the club.

I thought once Tralee enter a team into the A championship that they kept a team in the KDL?

legendz
21/02/2012, 6:30 PM
Dialogue is the key. When I mooted a second division. I didn't expect it to magically happen. I would've expected dialogue between certain clubs and then the FAI. Anyways I'll park that there! In terms of the MSL, what's the way forward? What's the remit of the Munster FA. I know they've funded Turners Cross in parts but what else do they do? For the MSL to be more regionally based, is it down to district leagues to press the matter the the Munster FA. Again, there has to be dialogue on the issues and obstacles to move forward. Munster at the very least can only look to get it's own house in order.

culloty82
21/02/2012, 7:51 PM
I thought once Tralee enter a team into the A championship that they kept a team in the KDL?

Before Dynamos entered the A Championship, their "A" team played in the KDL Premier A, while their "B" team flitted between Premier B and 1B (as is currently the case with Killarney Celtic, Listowel Celtic, Brendan's Park among others). After '09, the B team was just called "Tralee Dynamos" in a KDL context, and look poised for promotion to Premier B, so it makes sense to place Dynamos A in the top division.

kerrysock
27/02/2012, 9:19 AM
I think the support shown for the Kerry oscar traynor team backs up the fact that a kerry league team would have great support in the LOI. Great turnout and great result as well

Sam_Heggy
27/02/2012, 11:41 AM
I think the support shown for the Kerry oscar traynor team backs up the fact that a kerry league team would have great support in the LOI. Great turnout and great result as well

The Kerry Oscar traynor team is made up of players who will be returning to their clubs once the match is over. Therefore it's of not threat to their respective clubs.
If a Kerry League side went into the LOI and took players from each KL club permanently would it be looked on in a positive light? I doubt it.

It's like in bogball, if the county team played 30+ games a year in a league and had the club players all year round (with them not able to tog out for their clubs) I would doubt very much they would have the same support as now.

kerrysock
27/02/2012, 1:40 PM
The Kerry Oscar traynor team is made up of players who will be returning to their clubs once the match is over. Therefore it's of not threat to their respective clubs.
If a Kerry League side went into the LOI and took players from each KL club permanently would it be looked on in a positive light? I doubt it.

It's like in bogball, if the county team played 30+ games a year in a league and had the club players all year round (with them not able to tog out for their clubs) I would doubt very much they would have the same support as now.
You make a good point but you are not going to lose that many supporters going to Kerry games just because of that. Down here we support "county" teams and yesterday showed that, the Kerry u21s have also proved this when thery were in existence. I dont have exact figures but I reckon there was more at Kerrys game yesterday than all of Dynamos home matches in the a-championship last year.

In a county that is domainted by GAA, secondary sports such as soccer will only get crowds if it is a "Kerry" team. A club by themselves will get no support - as it has been shown with Dynamos.

nigel-harps1954
27/02/2012, 3:18 PM
You make a good point but you are not going to lose that many supporters going to Kerry games just because of that. Down here we support "county" teams and yesterday showed that, the Kerry u21s have also proved this when thery were in existence. I dont have exact figures but I reckon there was more at Kerrys game yesterday than all of Dynamos home matches in the a-championship last year.

In a county that is domainted by GAA, secondary sports such as soccer will only get crowds if it is a "Kerry" team. A club by themselves will get no support - as it has been shown with Dynamos.

So do something about it ;P

Mr A
27/02/2012, 3:51 PM

Yes, but once this new entity are up and running they are one club.. and it won't be long before the others start to resent losing players to them and generally feeling they're getting a bit big for their boots. There are no easy answers unfortunately.

kerrysock
27/02/2012, 4:16 PM
Yes, but once this new entity are up and running they are one club.. and it won't be long before the others start to resent losing players to them and generally feeling they're getting a bit big for their boots. There are no easy answers unfortunately.
Yes, I agree here, there is no easy answer... which is why I think for the forseeable future kerry will have no LOI team!

legendz
27/02/2012, 6:16 PM
I know clubs have their own interests and rightly so, but surely it's a bit narrow minded to resent players looking to play at a higher/national level. It'd be for the benefit of the game, from what I can see, for players to have that opportunity.
Personally this discussion has gotten tiresome. Football is about playing and/or supporting your local team. I was looking forward to a week like this of being at work and then once the weekend was over take in Dynamos playing in the league, alas it's not to be.

Mr A
27/02/2012, 6:31 PM
That's the funny thing. If a player wants to go to England clubs won't hold them back. If they want to go to the local LOI club it's not usually so straightforward.

Not every club is like that, but certainly a lot have that sort of attitude.

Hate to be so negative, but there it is. There's nothing to say that with the right people involved there couldn't be a good LOI club in Kerry, but it will certainly be tough. Keeping an existing and relatively well established LOI club going is difficult.. getting a new one off the ground will be even tougher but it has been done before and will be done again.

culloty82
27/02/2012, 8:48 PM
John O'Regan (KDL secretary) was interviewed by Radio Kerry after the Oscar Traynor win and point-blank ruled out any Kerry LoI application, citing expense. It makes sense, then, that there should be an ongoing dialogue over the next 12 months as to what personal experience and material assistance the KDL can lend Dynamos towards a new application, as they shouldn't seek to obstruct clubs from making another attempt if unwilling to try themselves. Also, there should be a debate as to whether individual clubs should try to compete at intermediate level if senior status proves impossible.

legendz
27/02/2012, 11:06 PM
That's it really and I thought it was accepted by all that there won't be a Kerry LoI application. Sure that's what's driven on Dynamos to go the way they have, and personally I say fair play, though it might have cost them. I'd agree as well that the KDL should lend assistance where they can.

kerrysock
29/02/2012, 10:32 AM
That's it really and I thought it was accepted by all that there won't be a Kerry LoI application. Sure that's what's driven on Dynamos to go the way they have, and personally I say fair play, though it might have cost them. I'd agree as well that the KDL should lend assistance where they can.

So Dynamos so go into the LOI by themselves just because Kerry league dont enter? - That made financial sense didnt it?

I keep repeating myself here but the only viable option is a Kerry LOI side even though John Regan is against it. A club by itself will not work - no Kerry club is anyway near big enough, let alone Dynamos who have fallen behind other clubs in the last few years.

Kerry are 5-10 years away from having a LOI team, if at all!

Maybe the best option is not to have a Kerry LOI side (from a financial perspective). If you are a good player from Kerry, you can still play with other LOI clubs nearby (e.g. Limerick and Cork)

legendz
29/02/2012, 3:20 PM
You keep repeating alright, I do too so I'm not one to talk, or type as the case maybe but anyway... a Kerry LoI side might be a viable option but the will and support for that is not there.

The only option for Kerry representation is for a club to go for it. I don't accept it's beyond Dynamos to achieve this. While they missed out this year, there's no reason they won't get in in a few years. There won't be any overnight success or automatic support from the county but should Dynamos get in, if they put in the work around the county e.g. soccer camps around the county in the summer etc., they can gain support. If any clubs have a problem with that or resent players getting involved with Dynamos, the only solution for them, though not likely, would be to get to the same level.

Alas, for now, the dream is over.

kerrysock
02/03/2012, 12:34 PM
The only option for Kerry representation is for a club to go for it. I don't accept it's beyond Dynamos to achieve this.
This is where we disagree. It is completely unviable for Dynamos or any other club to afford LOI football! Thats my view...

1dynamos
02/03/2012, 2:42 PM
GAA have a budget over 4 million no matter what level you are at you are facilitated. For Kerry soccer to have a League of Ireland team it would need 200k that works out at about 5 euro per head of everyone playing soccer in Kerry. Soccer is Kerry can cater for the main but no desire exists for Elite players. Players like Donaghy & Cooper must be thrilled they went GAA as if they were elite soccer players they would never get the opportunity in Kerry. When you think of the top man in Kerry group gets 1.2 million per year. Soccer people in Kerry can't even generate 15% of his wages lol. How will Kerry ever stop be the laughing stock for the country. We are a waste of space that we cant cater for our young players. I don't care what crest, colour of jersey but everyone should have the opportunity to play to the highest of their potential.

legendz
02/03/2012, 3:30 PM
I'd have to agree that there seems to be no desire to cater for elite players. We're not the only county however, 13 counties are outside the League of Ireland circle. Kildare, Meath and Tipperary have bigger populations that ourselves but figures for involvement in the game would be needed.
For 13 counties not to be involved is a bad reflection on the FAI whose job is the promotion of the game in the country. They have to have some strategy at least to promote the game in these counties and have clubs in these regions for elite players.

1dynamos
02/03/2012, 3:34 PM
I would agree that Kerry is not the only county but how many of the other 13 counties have a regional academy in their county. Tipp dont have 1 there players go to Limerick, Meath dont have one either players go to Dublin. Did you know Kingdom Boys only have a couple of players at 95 academy & 96 academy so most of the young players are from all other clubs so therefore if no League of Ireland where do they go. My suggestion is they ask their club first and ask what are they going to do for them....

legendz
02/03/2012, 4:45 PM
That's it as well. While in other areas it might not be a concern e.g. Tipp and Meath, Kerry needs a club in the league. As support isn't there for a Kerry entity, with Dynamos willing to drive on the project to bring League of Ireland football to the county, there needs to be more support.