PDA

View Full Version : top 5 players in each position?

irishultra
16/02/2012, 8:06 PM
the loi is a very different place from the league i was interested in 2/3 years ago, back then could name quality players easily but now theres a lot of youth around who have talent but dont know exactly who the best players are, so what youz think?

El-Pietro
16/02/2012, 9:32 PM
1. Gerard Doherty
2. Peter Cherrie
3. Gabby Sava
3= Brendan Clarke
3= Barry Murphy
3= Gary Rogers

Thats my estimation of the keepers, with Mark McNulty not far behind, but honestly its a tough position to judge, espeically as we've been away for a couple of seasons

El-Pietro
16/02/2012, 9:34 PM
I was gonna go position by position, but I've realised its far more work than I can be arsed with

Guinney
17/02/2012, 12:07 AM
It's hard to say who are the better players in each position at the moment. There is alot of new players that have come into the league this season, also alot of players could improve this year and by the end of the season could be included in a list like this. Some of the better players have left aswell.

Goalkeeper

For me Doherty at Derry is the best keeper in the league at the moment. There are other good keepers like Cherrie and Rogers and coming from the first division Sava and McNulty could be good Premier division keepers.

Defenders
Shamrock Rovers have alot of the better defenders - Sives and Oman. Kerrea Gilbert could become good, but hard too judge as he untested in the league. Powell was very good when at Bohs and Gartland could be a good signing. Madden was outstanding for us last season and is up there with the better defenders. Greacen aswell for Derry. Peers at Sligo and Kenna at Pats (not as good last year though). Cork signed Dunleavy and Shane O'Connor (left back/winger), both potentially could be good.

Midfielders
Once again Shamrock Rovers have some of the better ones - McCormack, Dennehy, Brennan, Finn (when on form). Sligo have a few good midfielders too - Ndo and Boco is back. Colin Healy is a big signing for Cork. Players like Lee Lynch at Sligo and Ryan Brennan for Drogheda have potential, but at this stage not one of the top players.

Coming from the first divison it will be good to see how well Cassidy does for Shels, he always stood out. In the first division both Bradley and Gamble will be a standard above alot of other midfielders, similarly Dempsey at Waterford

Forwards
Quigley was unreal for us last season and should do well at Sligo. Danny North aswell. Twigg is an obvious choice. Daryl Kavanagh done well for Pats last season. Some of the better strikers left - Zayad, Doyle, Cummins - so not a whole a great amount to choice from here.

*Probably missing a good few

nigel-harps1954
17/02/2012, 12:21 AM
It's next to near impossible to guess who's best without enough coverage of all the teams. Each fan of each respective club would end up being awfully biased.
It's like the fact that I'd still have Kevin McHugh in the top 5 strikers in the country, although fans of other clubs would disagree.

Although, I'd have to say Gabriel Sava is one of the top keepers in the country easily.

Johnny Dunleavy is comfortably better than most defenders in the league.

Joe Gamble is probably top midfielder in the league.

Twigg this season will be the stand out striker with Doyle, Cummins and Zayed gone as Guinney has said.

It's impossible for anyone here to name out a top 5 in each position. There are many quality players in this league going relatively un-noticed, but without enough coverage, nobody will really know.

Sonny
17/02/2012, 1:14 AM
Gamble isn't even the best midfielder in Limerick

nigel-harps1954
17/02/2012, 1:18 AM

Gamble was far and away the best midfielder in the league when he left it. As I said, nobody can judge it without enough coverage of what's going on.
Thank you for proving my point.

adamd164
17/02/2012, 9:29 AM
Johnny Dunleavy is comfortably better than most defenders in the league.

Looking forward to seeing this guy playing for us, heard good things about his pre-season so far.

bluewhitearmy
17/02/2012, 10:12 AM

Who is better i havent seen anyone better anyway.

Jofspring
17/02/2012, 10:14 AM
Gamble was far and away the best midfielder in the league when he left it. As I said, nobody can judge it without enough coverage of what's going on.

He played very well when he came on against Sligo on Monday and in some of the bigger games for us he stood out as a class above. I don't know where Sonny is getting that from cause I can't think of one midfielder in Limerick, stronger than him, more comfortable on the ball than him or that can pass the ball better than him.

bluewhitearmy
17/02/2012, 10:26 AM
He played very well when he came on against Sligo on Monday and in some of the bigger games for us he stood out as a class above. I don't know where Sonny is getting that from cause I can't think of one midfielder in Limerick, stronger than him, more comfortable on the ball than him or that can pass the ball better than him.

Unless he means Bradley who i think has been good so far Pre-Season but certainly hasnt played enough matches for us to be considered better then Joe imo.

sadloserkid
17/02/2012, 10:32 AM
People shouldn't be allowed to reference (or even refer to) players from their own clubs in discussions like this.

El-Pietro
17/02/2012, 12:20 PM
Defenders
Cork signed Dunleavy and Shane O'Connor (left back/winger), both potentially could be good.

O'Connor signed as a winger, he doesnt want to play left back and we dont have any real need for him to play there, thats part of the reason he signed for us over Dundalk Shamrock and Derry Shamrock and Dundalk both wanted him to play on the wing, not sure about Derry

El-Pietro
17/02/2012, 12:22 PM
he wasnt actually the best midfielder in Cork in 2009 actually, Healy had an unbelievable season that year and was running the show

sadloserkid
17/02/2012, 1:50 PM
he wasnt actually the best midfielder in Cork in 2009 actually, Healy had an unbelievable season that year and was running the show

And in a staggering coincidence he's just signed up with ye again too! :D

Lim till i die
17/02/2012, 2:27 PM
Top player threads. :bulgy:

"I tink da playr n my teem iz da best lulz."

:bulgy:

El-Pietro
17/02/2012, 2:30 PM
And in a staggering coincidence he's just signed up with ye again too! :D

why do you think we received offers for Healy in 2009? One from Hartlepool, who signed Gamble in the 2010 January transfer window as an alternative to Healy

I'm not saying hes a better player than Gamble is now, I'm saying in 2009 he was. He was unbelievable that season