PDA

View Full Version : Squad Strength shown at UCD?

pete
29/07/2004, 9:45 AM
Possible lessons from UCD match.

Billy can't play fullback cos means he has to pass the ball which he can't do so he hoofs down the line. :(
Byrne not capable backup for centre back. Need to add quality there eventually.
Gamble not as good as we hoping he'll be?
Until Steve O'Flynn returns no quality backup for forwards as Behan not good enough.

Interestingly i thought it was the 3 players brought in for suspended ones that played the poorest.

thecorner
29/07/2004, 9:48 AM
Gamble not as good as we hoping he'll be?

ffs pete,give him a chance. it was his first start :rolleyes:

NorthoftheLee
29/07/2004, 10:05 AM

exactly................

players like mucka, greg and nwankwo should have been given a start against UCD IMO. Most of the players were shagged and should have been given a rest. We cant judge gamble until after 10-15 games under his belt..remember Hoggy is nearly back too. as for front cover...we have enough strikers...our squad wasnt really used last nite.. from what I heard most of the players were bad so singling out the replacements is harsh.. altho i did hear byrne had a shocker...

thecorner
29/07/2004, 10:09 AM
still think though some players should have been rested last night with 2 games in 3 days

but then after our recent run,im not gonna criticse dolan

pete
29/07/2004, 10:24 AM
I did leave a question mark after Gamble comment.

The players who were brouyght in played worse than the "tired" europeans.

Fenn, O'Flynn, Kearney, Colin & Bennet all played well.

sullanefc
29/07/2004, 10:51 AM
Possible lessons from UCD match.

Billy can't play fullback cos means he has to pass the ball which he can't do so he hoofs down the line. :(
Byrne not capable backup for centre back. Need to add quality there eventually.

Why didn't Greg O Halloran play? Surely he would have been a better option. Billy is best on the wing IMO.

thecorner
29/07/2004, 10:59 AM
Why didn't Greg O Halloran play? .

same could be said of sweeney,nwanko,behan

we need to try and keep it fresh with the game scoming thick and fast

pete
29/07/2004, 11:04 AM
We didn't lose cos team not fresh. We lost cos team reverted to hoofing & backup players not good enough.

ccfcman
29/07/2004, 11:07 AM

he's way too small and he wont even get a sniff with our current midfield partnership,he wasnt good enough for stinkin barnet.

thecorner
29/07/2004, 11:14 AM
he wont even get a sniff with our current midfield partnership,.

think this is common knowledge but did we think that kearney would make left midfield his own when he wasnt getting a sniff. all it took was an illness to nwanko who was doing very well out there

ccfcman
29/07/2004, 11:18 AM
think this is common knowledge but did we think that kearney would make left midfield his own when he wasnt getting a sniff. all it took was an illness to nwanko who was doing very well out there
gamble is smaller than oisín ffs,forget about him.i know u think i should have ccfc running in my veins but i think he's pants.and yes i know what imtalking about because i watched his progression(lack of)@ reading

joeSoap
29/07/2004, 11:20 AM
Can't understand why Nwankwo or Sweeney didn't start, and Greg O'Halloran should have been in too. Not too sure what ye could have done about your centre half, but I do know that Byrne is crap.Maybe three at the back with Lordan, Bennett and Greg, play Sweeney in a holding role in front of them??
I don't know, but I do know that you can't simply replace 2 of a steady back 4 and not expect problems. Hope this isn't the beginning of a slippery slope..

thecorner
29/07/2004, 11:27 AM
gamble is smaller than oisín ffs,forget about him.i know u think i should have ccfc running in my veins but i think he's pants.and yes i know what imtalking about because i watched his progression(lack of)@ reading

what does height have to do with it

suppose u'll start on kearney next :rolleyes:

ccfcman
29/07/2004, 11:29 AM

suppose u'll start on kearney next :rolleyes:
he's a weed,no im not starting on kearney he has pace also,gamble does not QED

thecorner
29/07/2004, 11:30 AM
he's a weed,no im not starting on kearney he has pace also,gamble does not QED

ok :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Peadar
29/07/2004, 11:30 AM

Height is really important!
Imagine if the club brought in some little lad like Duff or Maradonna or Overmars or Zola or ...

There'd be murder! :D

thecorner
29/07/2004, 11:31 AM
Imagine if the club brought in some little lad like Duff or Maradonna or Overmars or Zola or ...

:D :D :D

ccfcman
29/07/2004, 11:32 AM

sarcasm dualy noted,however as we have just seen with the result against ucd the style of play is diff,eL is physical and city need physical presence,especially against Sh1tkickers United on Fri. night

thecorner
29/07/2004, 11:34 AM
,eL is physical and city need physical presence,

dont worry id say Duff or Maradonna or Overmars or Zola would be able to handle themselves :D

ccfcman
29/07/2004, 11:36 AM
with defenders like alan carey about i dunno. . . . . .

any way a certain rovers keeper(no names ;) ) would get on swimingly with maradona

thecorner
29/07/2004, 11:42 AM
with defenders like alan carey about i dunno. . . . . .

any way a certain rovers keeper(no names ;) ) would get on swimingly with maradona

i think u mean a dublin city keeper

keep with the times man

ccfcman
29/07/2004, 11:43 AM
why was his ban shortened to the extent it was?

thecorner
29/07/2004, 11:45 AM
as i said

keep with the times man

Peadar
29/07/2004, 11:45 AM

Like I've already said, short is good
Even for a keeper :D

Rams-fan
29/07/2004, 12:30 PM
I was at the match last night and thought Cork didn't play well enough to break down UCD, despite a disallowed goal, which was a dubious decision because they were all pushing each other. :confused:

UCD had one chance where they were allowed a free shot at goal, and that was the difference between the teams. :ball: :ball:

Cork needed to control the game, and there was no one in the team that took that on last night.

The referee allowed no advantage in the last third for Cork, they must have had about 10 frees just outside the box where advantage would have punished UCD's infringements. :ball:

Schumi
29/07/2004, 1:06 PM
as we have just seen with the result against ucd the style of play is diff,eL is physicalDidn't think it was that physical a game. Kearney was one of your best players and he's hardly the most physically imposing.

Colm
29/07/2004, 1:13 PM
We didn't lose cos team not fresh. We lost cos team reverted to hoofing & backup players not good enough.

Spot on. We're a totally different team without Georgie, Danny and Dan and it showed big time last night.
Byrne was terrible, Gamble was poor (but as has been said he needs time to prove himself) and Billy didn;t have one of his better games. I think if we had even 2 of the three suspended players available last night we'd have won easily.
We could have snatched the game at the end though. The keeper had to pull off two good saves with Billy's free kick and Nwanko's shot.

SÓC
29/07/2004, 1:33 PM
Without Georgie were are a totally different team.
Fenn dropped a bit deep at times to try to be "Georgie" but that just left Flynny up front on his own.

niamh
29/07/2004, 1:41 PM
City could not have lost three more influencial players ahead of the game. I thought Billy got stuck in but his passing left him down.
The European matches were no excuse though. City seemed to panic once they went behind instead of realising they had more than an hour of the game left to get a result.
They created plenty of chances - O'Flynn's effort over, Fenn's shot wide, the disallowed goal, Billy and Nwankwo both had efforts tipped away.
They were unlucky and there were some bizarre decisions by the ref that did not help. (maybe we too used to standards having played in Europe!)
We out of the Cup and could do with result v Waterford.

sullanefc
29/07/2004, 2:08 PM
A quote from Pat on CorkCityFC.ie "I keep hearing on the TV and radio that Cork are full-time but today one of our centre-backs wasn't able to get a day off work and another had to work a 12 hour shift"

Was one of these Greg O Halloran? Would explain why he didn't play. Who was the other?

Colm
29/07/2004, 2:17 PM
A quote from Pat on CorkCityFC.ie "I keep hearing on the TV and radio that Cork are full-time but today one of our centre-backs wasn't able to get a day off work and another had to work a 12 hour shift"

Was one of these Greg O Halloran? Would explain why he didn't play. Who was the other?

No, Greg was on the bench.
I think he's talking about Kevin Murray who works in Ulster Bank.

Eric
29/07/2004, 3:18 PM
In my opinion the 3 players who came in for the suspended 3 hd very poor games.

Willy Byrne looks as if he is just about MSL standard. He was hoofing balls all over the place last night and his positional sense didn't seem to be the best.

Billy is not a full back and again had a mare in that position. He is more intent on trying to get forward that actually playing defensively. He was caught out of position a number of times last night and any attacking threats that UCD had came from his wing, including the goal. Even when it comes to going forward the day of a fellow putting his head down and outrunning the defender is gone so Billy is not even as much of a threat going forward as he used to be.

Gamble tried hard last night but seemed to be a bit off the pace. His passing was pretty good but he is very small for a central midfielder. And before people start on about height not mattering, how many headers did Gamble win last night against his 6ft plus opponent????

Greg was on the bench and wasn't used which I was very disappointed with as I thought he would have made a big difference.

I thought Doyler was quiet enough last night and he looked very tired. he could have done with getting a rest.

We need better cover for the backline as this was were we lost the game last night. Up front we were unlucky not to get a goal but it was our dodgey backline that cost us

Neil
29/07/2004, 3:21 PM
Darren Kelly has been released by his English club.
We'll take him and Crowe and Hunt at the end of the season.

Éanna
01/08/2004, 1:36 PM
willie byrne apparently worked until 8 o clock the morning of the game and then got on the bus at 10. no wonder he looked wrecked. might explain his performance. kevin murray couldn't get off work at all, which was why byrne played