PDA

View Full Version : UCD 1-0 Cork City

pineapple stu
29/07/2004, 12:23 AM
UCD are through to the third round of the FAI Cup after a battling win over European quarter-finalists Cork City in Belfield last night. Seán Finn's goal on his return from injury midway through the first half ultimately decided an open game in which both sides had chances to add to the scoring. However, First Division UCD weren't overawed by their supposedly better opponents and held off Cork's attempts to salvage a replay fairly comfortably to book their place in Monday's draw.

Cork started much the brighter, but were rocked when Finn scored out of the blue. Picking the ball up outside the area, he created space and unleashed a shot which Devine in the Cork goal looked to have covered, but he appeared to let it through his hands and the shot crept in at the far post.

Two minutes later, it could have been 2-0 as Robbie Martin got in behind the Cork defence but lifted his shot over both Devine and the crossbar. Cork had a couple of chances in the first half, but resolute defending from UCD limited them to long-range efforts, none of which really troubled Darren Quigley, making his first senior start in goals for UCD outside of the League Cup.

The game opened up in the second half as Cork got forward a bit more, though not with the same effect as they had early in the first half, but Quigley was equal to anything put into the box, punching clear on several occasions and generally dealing exceptionally well with the high ball. UCD created plenty of chances on the counter, most notably when Willie Doyle was fouled for what appeared to be a professional foul, but the ball ran on to Robbie Martin, only for Devine to make up for his earlier error with a good low block.

As the game wore on, UCD regularly caught the Cork defence for pace, Pat Sullivan in particular impressing on the right, but they couldn't make anything of their openings. And at the other end, Cork did have the ball in the net, but the whistle had gone long beforehand. But it was only in the last few minutes when Cork started to threaten the UCD goal - first Quigley reacted well to tip over a shot, and then a long-range effort took a nasty bounce which needed Quigley to be alert to tip over again.

In the end though, UCD held out fairly comfortably, and the Cork fans were subdued long before the final whistle. There was a rumour that one of the UCD players - possibly Robbie Martin - had been booked twice and not sent off, but Martin at least knew nothing of this after the game, and in any case, the precedent would be that it could not effect the final result. The game marked the third time UCD have played Premier Division opposition this season, and they have yet to lose in normal time after drawing with Rovers and Bohs in the League Cup (subsequently losing to Bohs after extra time; you may make what you will of the League Cup aspect of the games) and now adding this impressive win. Next up is a home tie with bogey team Cobh Ramblers on Sunday as College get back to the bread and butter of trying to earn promotion at the first time of asking.

UCD - Quigley, Mahon, McAuley, Kenna, McNally, McDonnell, Sullivan, Finn (McWalter), Davey, Doyle, Martin. Subs not used - Gallagher, Foley, Kierans, AN Other.

Att - 574

Roo69
29/07/2004, 8:36 AM
Great win ! Fair play. Hopefully ya can go on a bit of a cup run now and it'll take your mind off the league :D

Schumi
29/07/2004, 12:01 PM
Great performance! The defence was fantastic and Quigley was very solid, I'd say he'll be starting against Cobh after this. Cork looked dangerous for the first 20 minutes or so but once we scored, I thought we looked the better side despite the amount of pressure that Cork were putting us under.

Good return for Finn too, I think we've really been missing him since he was injured. With him in the middle and Sully on the right, we should be able to create more chances than we have in the last few games. Sully has been our only real threat going forward with the ball so an extra option should really improve matters and hopefully push Willie Doyle to an even more impressive goals in a season record!

What the hell was the story with Nwanko's shot that Quigley tipped over the bar? It looked like the ball had bounced about 2 or 3 times before it got to him and tok a huge bounce in front of him.

pete
29/07/2004, 12:16 PM
What the hell was the story with Nwanko's shot that Quigley tipped over the bar? It looked like the ball had bounced about 2 or 3 times before it got to him and tok a huge bounce in front of him.

Very strange that your keeper then had to actually dive across to save "shot".

What number was Martin wearing?

:confused:

Schumi
29/07/2004, 12:58 PM
What number was Martin wearing?
Robbie Martin was #9.

pete
29/07/2004, 1:09 PM
Robbie Martin was #9.

He was booked with 20 or so mins to go. Be very curious to see if he also booked in 1st half. Dunno how ref could make such a mistake or 4th official not pick up on it but it was Stokes...

:rolleyes:

tiktok
29/07/2004, 1:16 PM
Fair enough report, Sullivan was excellent (no7 yeah?).

I thought Martin had gotten two yellows, but wasn't sure. UCD played well but I thought Quigley looked ropey to be honest, he nearly got caught out by a misdirected free kick and then by Nwankwo's shot.

Schumi
29/07/2004, 1:18 PM
Sullivan was excellent (no7 yeah?).Yeah, #7. He's played in centre midfield for the previous few games when Finn was injured but I think he's more effective on the right.

pineapple stu
29/07/2004, 6:40 PM
I thought Martin had gotten two yellows

Twas going around after all right, but I was talking to him after and he didn't know anything about it, though he said he probably wouldn't have noticed anyway. Anyway, Sligo had a player booked twice and he played on in the third round v. Shels a couple of years back and they were allowed through - if Ollie cuoldn't get a replay out of that... ;)

Downloaded the RTÉ News slot of the Cork website - appalling as usual. They only mentioned two of our players and got both names wrong! :mad: :mad: Eddie Quigley and John Finn. Idiots...

cheesewrangler
30/07/2004, 12:39 PM
What happened to Gallagher in goals? 17 starts, 1 defeat, 9 clean sheets. Any reason he was dropped?

Schumi
30/07/2004, 12:47 PM
Two defeats unfortunately. :(

I don't think it's down to anything he's done but rather Quigley's form in the league cup and under 21s.