PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Keane injured

Slash/ED
28/07/2004, 8:39 PM
Heard on newstalk he was stretchered off in a Spurs Rangers pre season friendly today and it's apparently quite a bad looking injury, they were pretty worried, I hope he's alright.

petef
28/07/2004, 8:57 PM
To quote the Spurs website:

Keane, on target at Sheffield United on Sunday, suffered an ankle injury as Rangers defender Marvin Andrews blocked his attempted shot.

He signalled to the bench straight away, clutching his ankle, and our medical team soon waved for a stretcher. He was carried off with his right leg stabilised in a protective brace.

Not looking good.

tricky_colour
28/07/2004, 10:25 PM
I heard on the radio it may not be as bad as first thought,
at least I thought that is what I heard, cos I can't
find any reports to back that up on the internet.
He is not a player who is particularly prone to injury
so fingers crossed.

bitored
28/07/2004, 10:26 PM
This is our worst nightmare... all we could do is wait and hope it's not as bad as it sounds.
This is the problem with Ireland relying on key men so heavily - not that we have much of a choice - particularly in the forward line.
What are the alternatives - Morrisson and Lee??

Closed Account 2
28/07/2004, 11:36 PM
oh god with the best will in the world if its clinton and alan lee upfront vs the Swiss and French, we havent got a hope :(

heres a link i found for the injury i found on the net (URL (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gordon.y/keane.avi))... ps im not a rangers fan, b4 anyone sees the "Rangers TV" logo and jumps to conclusions.

tricky_colour
29/07/2004, 3:04 AM
I would play Andy Reid up front myself.

macdermesser
29/07/2004, 6:15 AM
Great link cfdh_edmundo .. well .. maybe great is the wrong word ... doesn't look that bad ... famous last words ... hopefullly its just bruising or a sprain ..

Stuttgart88
29/07/2004, 7:16 AM
I can't open the link. What does it say?

PaulB
29/07/2004, 7:18 AM
doesn't look good, ligament damage they're saying. We're snookered for the swiss game so. 5 man midfield me thinks..

beautifulrock
29/07/2004, 8:12 AM
The latest from the Spurs website:

"Jacques Santini faces an anxious few hours as he waits for the diagnosis of Robbie Keane's ankle injury.
Our new Head Coach confirmed that the Irish striker damaged his right ankle in Wednesday night's friendly against Rangers.

Robbie immediately signalled to the bench after Marvin Andrews block-tackled his attempted shot in the 28th minute of our 2-0 defeat at Ibrox. He was stretchered off with a stabilising brace strapped to his right leg.

Jacques, facing the press minutes after the final whistle, said that early indications suggested a ligament problem.

"I've just seen the physio and he thinks it is a ligament problem," said a naturally disappointed Jacques.

"We return to London tonight and will see what the doctors have to say.

"We need Robbie for the first match against Liverpool but now, I'm not so sure."

tetsujin1979
29/07/2004, 9:03 AM
Reckon it could be Duff + Morrisson up front with Reid on the left, assuming Robbie isn't recovered by then :(

Bowsy
29/07/2004, 9:08 AM
This thread has well and truly ruined my morning. :( Get well soon Robbie.

petef
29/07/2004, 9:13 AM
Lets hope for the best, its all speculation at the moment.

Peadar
29/07/2004, 9:22 AM
Luckily John O'Flynn is back to full fitness.

NeilMcD
29/07/2004, 9:57 AM
I would say it is pretty similar to what happened against australia and we missed him againgst russia. I would say he has ligament damage which is probably out for about 4 or 5 weeks, so not looking good for first couple of matches of qualifiers

eirebhoy
29/07/2004, 9:59 AM
RTE say he's out for 6 weeks which means he would probably miss the Swizz match.

BTW lads, have you forgot Connolly or do you not rate him because he can't play alongside Keane? His work rate is superb and he'll be trying to impress. I don't think he's ever played with Clinton before so we can try that out against Bulgaria. He was man of the match against Turkey remember. I just hope Kerr gives him the chance.

Bowsy
29/07/2004, 10:09 AM
RTE say he's out for 6 weeks which means he would probably miss the Swizz match.

BTW lads, have you forgot Connolly or do you not rate him because he can't play alongside Keane? His work rate is superb and he'll be trying to impress. I don't think he's ever played with Clinton before so we can try that out against Bulgaria. He was man of the match against Turkey remember. I just hope Kerr gives him the chance.

I think that will be the combo Kerr goes with but it's a massive blow not to have Robbie. I rate Connolly when he's not wearing a green shirt but one great performance and an very good US cup umpteen years ago does not an international striker make, with or without limited opportunities not partnering Robbie.

eirebhoy
29/07/2004, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately,remember too many mediocre performances,as his subsequent club career has proved.....a Who's Who of nonentities.....
Since Robbie's international career began, Connolly has only started 5 games without Keane as his partner and played well in most of them. Before Robbie came along he scored 7 goals in 15 internationals. If Robbie was available and we had 5 other strikers injured I wouldn't partner him with Connolly but he's definitely an ideal replacement.

I thought his club career was quite good TBH. 42 goals in 63 for Wimbledon. He was played out of position at West Ham but was still OK. He didn't score many for Feyenoord but was still a fans favourite because of his work rate.

tarzan_bray
29/07/2004, 11:16 AM
We can get a result against the Swiss without Robbie with Duff upfront and
Reid on the left, don't forget the Swiss are missing Frei and they certainly did not look much good in Portugal, Robbie should be ok for Paris

Come on fellow fans let's be optimistic :D

only1kilbane
29/07/2004, 11:35 AM
well said . Hes not out yet and no point getting our knickers in a twist at this stage. If he does happen to be out it gives us the chance to play duff and reid which we might not have .

Closed Account 2
29/07/2004, 11:58 AM
I can't open the link. What does it say?
Its an AVI movie, it should play in windows media player or other similar things.

If you look about half way thru the clip it looks like his ankle is bent thru over 90 degrees. I think he'll be out for the Swiss game, which could bugger us a fair bit. I think he's our best player and we'll be relying on a once-in-a-blue-moon great game from Clinton, Alan Lee, Doherty or Ratman. All of these players try hard, but the bottom line is theyre not world class strikers.

Lionel Ritchie
29/07/2004, 12:04 PM
I'd go with Clinton Morrison and David Connolly for 2nd half of Bulgaria match. If it looks promising I'd go with it for Switzerland.

only1kilbane
29/07/2004, 1:21 PM
I'd go with Clinton Morrison and David Connolly for 2nd half of Bulgaria match. If it looks promising I'd go with it for Switzerland.

no way two average strikers together no chance . Duff has to be played up front we need someone decent up there and gives kerr the chance to play reid as well which he might not have if keane was fit. Hopefully Robbie will come through but if not has to be duff and morrison for me !

NeilMcD
29/07/2004, 2:08 PM
He will deffo go with Morrisson upfront and probably either andy reid or duff beside, him, in fact he may interchange the two throughout the game, and I think that would be a good option. Connolly could come off the bench if and when reid gets tired.

NeilMcD
29/07/2004, 4:58 PM
Robbie Keane is due for scans this afternoon to determine the full extent of his ankle injury.

The Irish star was stretchered off in last night's friendly against Rangers but travelled home with the team and was hobbling around on crutches at Spurs Lodge this morning.

Head of Medical Services Dr Charlotte Cowie said: "It looks mainly like ligament damage. He is having a scan this afternoon, we'll get the results later tonight and then we'll know more about how long he might be out for."

only1kilbane
29/07/2004, 5:05 PM
well the only positive is we can try out a partnership of duff and morrison hopefully against bulgaria if duffer recovers in time .

Slash/ED
29/07/2004, 5:20 PM
Forget Duff up front, it's rubbish. Reid up front behind Morrison is the best way to go if Connolly isn't considered worthy of starting. Reid used to be a striker and would work well alongside someone like Morrison.

only1kilbane
29/07/2004, 5:46 PM
duff up front is the only way to go. Hes tried and tested in that position knows what has to be done. Reid is only settling into the side and looking good on the left .

Slash/ED
29/07/2004, 5:59 PM
Tried tested and failed, I can't think of a single good match he's had up front. Reid has more experience playing in that position. Duff up front is a proven failure, we need him on the left. Playing without Keane and putting Duff up front is like being without two players instead of one, it makes no sense.

carnstien
29/07/2004, 6:07 PM
Tried tested and failed, I can't think of a single good match he's had up front. Reid has more experience playing in that position. Duff up front is a proven failure, we need him on the left. Playing without Keane and putting Duff up front is like being without two players instead of one, it makes no sense.
Well said boss, couldn't agree more.

Don't know how anyone could still think we should play Duff up front, Duff is a USELESS forward.

Play Andy Reid off Morrison, Keane will be a huge loss, but the emergance of Riedy should soften the blow.

1MickCollins
29/07/2004, 11:06 PM
Well said boss, couldn't agree more.

Don't know how anyone could still think we should play Duff up front, Duff is a USELESS forward.

Play Andy Reid off Morrison, Keane will be a huge loss, but the emergance of Riedy should soften the blow.

Right Duff has scored 6 goals in 43 games for Ireland. Doherty is a far better bet up front. Keep Duff where he plays best, left wing. Morrison alongside Connolly would do, or Morrison & Reid or Morrison & Doherty.

Closed Account 2
29/07/2004, 11:33 PM
He should play one big striker and one small one. A combination of Duff/Reid/Ratman (who arent as good at attacking as Robbie Keane) would probably get marked out of the game by Henchoz and his pals. If there is at least one big player upfront it will cause the Swiss more problems, and give our attacking midfielders more options.

Bowsy
30/07/2004, 8:57 AM
He should play one big striker and one small one. A combination of Duff/Reid/Ratman (who arent as good at attacking as Robbie Keane) would probably get marked out of the game by Henchoz and his pals. If there is at least one big player upfront it will cause the Swiss more problems, and give our attacking midfielders more options.

Wish we had a decent big man as the Russians showed what a bit of size and power can do to the Swiss in the Euro Qualifiers. Swiss were all over the shop in Moscow. Just don't think the Doc is a real option up front.

Condex
30/07/2004, 9:36 AM
Wish we had a decent big man as the Russians showed what a bit of size and power can do to the Swiss in the Euro Qualifiers. Swiss were all over the shop in Moscow. Just don't think the Doc is a real option up front.

People seem to have very short memories, Doherty is a carthorse.

only1kilbane
30/07/2004, 10:00 AM
very true id much rather have duffer who has the ability to play anywhere and morrison than doc . He is very average and should not even be mentioned . Duffer is not a useless forward as some people suggest and would play just behind morrison where he could roam freely rather than an out and out striker

bitored
30/07/2004, 11:59 AM
He's out for 4 to 6 weeks according to the Spurs website which includes a pic of him on crutches
http://www.spurs.co.uk/article.asp?article=216863

Slightly worrying that of arguably our 3 best players, one is injured, the other is recovering from injury (Duffer) and the other is extremely injury prone (RMK). Hopefully the squad has developed to the extent that we can eke out a result without one or two or maybe even three of them.

Slash/ED
30/07/2004, 12:17 PM
very true id much rather have duffer who has the ability to play anywhere and morrison than doc . He is very average and should not even be mentioned . Duffer is not a useless forward as some people suggest and would play just behind morrison where he could roam freely rather than an out and out striker

Yes he is a useless forward. His goals record up front is absolutley appaling. Name one good game he's had up front that can even come close to how he's capable of playing on the left. Why take two vital players out of the team for the sake of one? It wouldn't have anything to do with trying to accomadate Kilbane would it? :rolleyes: I can't see any other possible reason to try and put Duff up front.

NeilMcD
30/07/2004, 2:03 PM
Robbie Keane will miss the start of the season after a scan confirmed he suffered ankle ligament damage following a challenge in the friendly against Rangers on Wednesday.

In what is a big blow to Head Coach Jacques Santini, the Republic of Ireland international is possibly going to be missing from first team duty for four to six weeks.

Naturally disappointed, Robbie voiced his disappointment at Spurs Lodge this morning.

"It will be very frustrating to miss the pre-season games and the start of the season," said the striker. "You go through pre-season to get your fitness up and get ready for the start of the season then something like this happens.

"It sets you back a bit, but I will keep myself ticking over and strong. Hopefully I will be back in not too long a time.

"I am usually a quick healer, so please, I will be back sooner than we expect."

Should it not be Please god, maybe spurs are deleting god from the sentence