PDA

View Full Version : An appreciation from a Cork City fan

spiritofshanks
27/07/2004, 3:41 PM
This is my first post on foot.ie. As the dust settles on Cork's European dream/adventure (call it what you like) I've taken the time to think back on the most memorable moments of the past month. As I'm sure you can imagine there are many, but the one memory that I'll cherish is from the NEC Nijmegen game at Turner's Cross. Not the full house, not the performance, not the win... but the St. Pat's fan standing behind me in the Shed. He was fantastic and a credit to the Saints and the League. I don't know who he was but he seemed to be known by a few of the City lads in the Shed. Even for him to travel down from Dublin and show his support was outstanding, but this guy did a lot more than that. He never stopped shouting and singing, lending his voice to City's European cause... proof that in Europe we are all one! I also spotted a couple of Derry shirts among the crowd outside, I heard a few Waterford accents, and I'm told that Bohs brought a contingent down too. I've been supporting Cork City for 15 years and have never experienced such unity.

My personal thanks to that unknown Supersaint and I wish St. Pat's a speedy return to Europe.

A Proud Supporter of the Eircom League.

sullanefc
27/07/2004, 4:30 PM
proof that in Europe we are all one!

Except when $h€l$ are playing :D

Éanna
27/07/2004, 6:20 PM
Always nice to see clubs getting behind each other. Fair ****s to the fella- didn't think we allowed jackeens in the Shed though. :)

tiktok
27/07/2004, 7:47 PM
I saw a few Longford Shirts at the game Saturday too

De Town
28/07/2004, 1:26 PM
I saw a few Longford Shirts at the game Saturday too

me possibly being one of them! just want to say to the people in the shed, fair ****s to ye, what an atmosphere you created. it was amazing.

sullanefc
28/07/2004, 1:51 PM
me possibly being one of them! just want to say to the people in the shed, fair ****s to ye, what an atmosphere you created. it was amazing.

Were you and a mate in the St Annes end wearing Longford away jerseys??

Roo69
28/07/2004, 2:08 PM
This is my first post on foot.ie. As the dust settles on Cork's European dream/adventure (call it what you like) I've taken the time to think back on the most memorable moments of the past month. As I'm sure you can imagine there are many, but the one memory that I'll cherish is from the NEC Nijmegen game at Turner's Cross. Not the full house, not the performance, not the win... but the St. Pat's fan standing behind me in the Shed. He was fantastic and a credit to the Saints and the League. I don't know who he was but he seemed to be known by a few of the City lads in the Shed. Even for him to travel down from Dublin and show his support was outstanding, but this guy did a lot more than that. He never stopped shouting and singing, lending his voice to City's European cause... proof that in Europe we are all one! I also spotted a couple of Derry shirts among the crowd outside, I heard a few Waterford accents, and I'm told that Bohs brought a contingent down too. I've been supporting Cork City for 15 years and have never experienced such unity.

My personal thanks to that unknown Supersaint and I wish St. Pat's a speedy return to Europe.

A Proud Supporter of the Eircom League.

Was he a middle aged dude with a beard ?
I got talking to a St. Pats fan at the Bray Vs. Harps match in the Cralisle a few weeks back and he was saying the he was going down to all the Cork european matches to support them and the league. One of the nicest blokes i've meet in a long long time ! fcuking bang on ! Wonder was it the same bloke ?

Fair play to all fans who nmade the trip down.

spiritofshanks
28/07/2004, 3:56 PM
No, didn't have a beard, Roo. Can't remember what he looked like to be honest. Strong Dublin accent though, that's about all I remember!

spiritofshanks
28/07/2004, 4:07 PM

Cheers for the support DeTown. Good luck tomorrow night.

De Town
28/07/2004, 4:57 PM
Were you and a mate in the St Annes end wearing Longford away jerseys??

No, i was to the right of the halfway line (as i looked) in the Derrynane stand.

Cheers for the support DeTown. Good luck tomorrow night.

cheers. hopefully we'll get a good result

Martinho II
28/07/2004, 11:05 PM
conor 74,

just to let you know that I am still alive and well! managed to kip on someones floor for the nite!didnt bother goin to the horseshoe as one of the section o crowd is afraid of crowds and we went drinkin in town afterwards in an brogue and little island bar!

an amazing atmosphere the best game for atmosphere i was at!

regarding an earleir email, myself and max power,sorbo the greek and trev roma (old contributor) were in st annes end! i was one of the lads in the town away jersey along with trev!

i rem speakin to two youngish cork supporters at st annes end- are any of ye lads that i spoke to on foot.ie?

sullanefc
29/07/2004, 1:07 AM
conor 74,

just to let you know that I am still alive and well! managed to kip on someones floor for the nite!didnt bother goin to the horseshoe as one of the section o crowd is afraid of crowds and we went drinkin in town afterwards in an brogue and little island bar!

an amazing atmosphere the best game for atmosphere i was at!

regarding an earleir email, myself and max power,sorbo the greek and trev roma (old contributor) were in st annes end! i was one of the lads in the town away jersey along with trev!

i rem speakin to two youngish cork supporters at st annes end- are any of ye lads that i spoke to on foot.ie?

I saw ye but ye had ye're backs to me so I didn't see the faces. I was up another level. Next to the chipper you see :D mmmm frozen chips

Schumi
29/07/2004, 12:15 PM
Was Trey at the Bohs game on Tuesday? I thought I recognised him one my way out but I wasn't sure.

Dodge
30/07/2004, 12:22 PM
There's a Pats fan from Cork, living in Cork who only goes to about 4 games in Dublin a year plus the games in Munster...

Top bloke, his dad was from Inchicore (or surrounds) and he's followed Pats all his life